News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Two of the same business visible from one place

Started by lepidopteran, February 06, 2019, 09:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb1994

Quote from: lepidopteran on February 18, 2019, 07:09:14 PM
These are the two McD's in Severna Park, MD, on Governor Ritchie Highway (State Route 2).  The second one is marked by those tiny arches off in the distance, just to the lower-left of the nearer ones.

McDonald's in Severna Park, MD - by Mike, on Flickr

A close-up of the other sign -- a rare design in which older, larger arches are mounted atop two poles -- may be found here.

Everybody loves those old McDonalds signs.

abefroman329

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 18, 2019, 07:25:17 PM
Quote from: lepidopteran on February 18, 2019, 07:09:14 PM
These are the two McD's in Severna Park, MD, on Governor Ritchie Highway (State Route 2).  The second one is marked by those tiny arches off in the distance, just to the lower-left of the nearer ones.

McDonald's in Severna Park, MD - by Mike, on Flickr

A close-up of the other sign -- a rare design in which older, larger arches are mounted atop two poles -- may be found here.

I prefer the old "over XX billion served"  signs that the owner would have to update periodically to the general "billions and billions served"  sign.

Did you know white supremacists made a series of memes featuring Mac Tonight? Christ, people are assholes.

lepidopteran

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 18, 2019, 09:07:48 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 18, 2019, 07:25:17 PM
I prefer the old "over XX billion served"  signs that the owner would have to update periodically to the general "billions and billions served"  sign.
One of the first high-mast freeway signs for McD's I encountered said "Billions and Billions Served".  This was circa 1977, when they were still keeping count on the regular signs.  But that makes sense, since otherwise you'd need to get ahold of a 100-foot bucket truck every time the numbers changed!  :-D

Some really old arch signs listed the number of burgers "Sold" rather than "Served".  I wonder if they switched to Served to sound more friendly, or so they could legally include the freebies in the tally (e.g., tour bus drivers eat for free, or at least they did at one time.)  Or both.

ftballfan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 14, 2019, 11:36:34 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 14, 2019, 11:03:49 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on February 14, 2019, 10:53:33 AM
Quote from: ftballfan on February 13, 2019, 10:25:06 PM
Ludington has two Subways. The Walmart has one while there's a standalone Subway in the strip mall right in front of the Walmart: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9568422,-86.4005759,331m/data=!3m1!1e3
Subway's entire business model appears to be "sign up as many franchisees as possible and collect our fees, who gives a shit if there are so many that they end up cannibalizing each other."  I believe they've even been sued over this.
It seems like their priority is to have as many locations as possible. I don't see that as a good thing.

I had a discussion on Facebook last summer about this. In the Midwest at least it seems even the most rural, podunk towns have one (with Dairy Queen the next offender in this regard). Someone speculated that the overhead costs are probably a lot lower than for something like McDonald's, so that probably explains it.
In Michigan, Dollar General is worse than Subway. In Manistee County (population ~25,000), there are five Dollar Generals (Manistee, Bear Lake, Copemish, Kaleva, and Wellston) and there is a new location going up in Irons, which isn't in Manistee County but is very close to the county line.

abefroman329

Quote from: lepidopteran on February 19, 2019, 01:44:59 PMOne of the first high-mast freeway signs for McD's I encountered said "Billions and Billions Served".  This was circa 1977, when they were still keeping count on the regular signs.  But that makes sense, since otherwise you'd need to get ahold of a 100-foot bucket truck every time the numbers changed!  :-D
That's why I assumed they did it as well.

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on February 19, 2019, 01:46:45 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 14, 2019, 11:36:34 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 14, 2019, 11:03:49 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on February 14, 2019, 10:53:33 AM
Quote from: ftballfan on February 13, 2019, 10:25:06 PM
Ludington has two Subways. The Walmart has one while there's a standalone Subway in the strip mall right in front of the Walmart: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9568422,-86.4005759,331m/data=!3m1!1e3
Subway's entire business model appears to be "sign up as many franchisees as possible and collect our fees, who gives a shit if there are so many that they end up cannibalizing each other."  I believe they've even been sued over this.
It seems like their priority is to have as many locations as possible. I don't see that as a good thing.

I had a discussion on Facebook last summer about this. In the Midwest at least it seems even the most rural, podunk towns have one (with Dairy Queen the next offender in this regard). Someone speculated that the overhead costs are probably a lot lower than for something like McDonald's, so that probably explains it.
In Michigan, Dollar General is worse than Subway. In Manistee County (population ~25,000), there are five Dollar Generals (Manistee, Bear Lake, Copemish, Kaleva, and Wellston) and there is a new location going up in Irons, which isn't in Manistee County but is very close to the county line.
I see Dollar General's popping up just about everywhere. They even have one on M-13 south of Saginaw on the Albee curve. Where I'm at there are 8 stores within 10 miles, 23 stores within 20 miles, 98 stores within 50 miles and 352 stores within 100 miles. That is just amazing, there are 352 Dollar General's within 100 miles of me.

Bruce

At this interchange on I-5 between Marysville and Mount Vernon: two 76 gas stations. The eastern one was a Shell station until 2010 or so.

PurdueBill

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 07, 2019, 07:58:18 AM
I've seen several pairs of Speedway gas stations within sight of each other.  One pair occupying two corners of IN 19 and CR 20 in Elkhart, IN.  I have to assume that one of each pair used to be some other brand that got bought out by Speedway. 

There is one on either side of US 30 in Upper Sandusky, OH; the tall signs are both visible at once and they each have their own logo on the blue logo sign even.

It's been 20 years since I have been to Hawaii but I do recall the ABC Stores being extremely abundant, as well as the Walgreens in Chicago as well as San Francisco and New Orleans that seemed to be too close to each other  (e.g., foreground: Walgreens; background across Canal St. a block away: another Walgreens).

frankenroad

Quote from: Life in Paradise on February 18, 2019, 01:37:52 PM
Back in the late 80s, when I went to Hawaii, my wife and I noticed that they had ABC Convenience Stores about every half block near Waikiki Beach.  Don't know if that is still the case, but you could easily see three or so from one spot across the street.

I was there in 2006, and this was still the case.   And any corner that did not have an ABC store had a Starbucks.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Eth

Quote from: frankenroad on April 30, 2019, 09:56:37 AM
Quote from: Life in Paradise on February 18, 2019, 01:37:52 PM
Back in the late 80s, when I went to Hawaii, my wife and I noticed that they had ABC Convenience Stores about every half block near Waikiki Beach.  Don't know if that is still the case, but you could easily see three or so from one spot across the street.

I was there in 2006, and this was still the case.   And any corner that did not have an ABC store had a Starbucks.

Still true in 2018 when I was there. Right around here there seem to be four of them within roughly a block.

roadman65

New Jersey used to have two Hess Stations across the street on US 9 in Woodbridge right next to its headquarters.  However, no business lost because of the fact US 9 is a Jersey Freeway with no median breaks so it conveniently serves the traffic of the two directions of US 9.

Same years ago in Union on US 22 there were two Exxons across from one another near the former Two Guys between Vauxhall Road and the GSP. Again to serve motorists going either way as US 22 is also with no breaks as a Jersey Freeway.

In Davenport, FL there are two 7 Elevens at the I-4 and US 27 interchange.  Plus McDonalds shows two stores on its logo sign for Exit 58 but the two are over a mile apart as one store is 0.3 miles to the west and the other is 1 mile to the east on CR 532.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

amroad17

Quote from: JMoses24 on February 14, 2019, 03:52:44 PM
In the town of Pendleton, KY (not to be confused with Pendleton County which is 50 miles east) on SR 153, there are two Pilot truck stops, one on each side of Interstate 71 exit 28.

The same thing occurs at I-71/75 exit 175, again it's two Pilot locations.
Also off I-65's Exit 6 in Franklin, KY.  Two Pilot's across the street from each other west of the interchange.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

amroad17

Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2019, 01:39:31 PM
Quote from: JMoses24 on February 14, 2019, 03:52:44 PM
In the town of Pendleton, KY (not to be confused with Pendleton County which is 50 miles east) on SR 153, there are two Pilot truck stops, one on each side of Interstate 71 exit 28.

Didn't one of them used to be something else? Maybe a Flying J that was rebranded as a Pilot?

That's the first chance-last chance for non-RFG on I-71, so prices typically run lower than in Oldham or Jefferson counties, so it gets a lot of business.
The two Pilot's at Exit 28 in Pendleton used to be two other companies.  First, the original Pilot at the interchange was at the now adult bookstore.  The Pilot across from that used to be a Speedway.  The Pilot across I-71 used to be a Williams.  Pilot bought out Williams and rebranded those as Pilots.  The same situation occurred in Franklin, KY whereas the Pilot on the south side of KY 100 was a Speedway and the Pilot on the north side of KY 100 was a Williams.

Just thought of another one--two Pilots at I-75's Exit 129 in Georgetown, KY.  One east and one west of the interchange.  The one east was an original Pilot, the one west used to be a Speedway (one can see the comparisons between the one here and the one in Pendleton, KY).

As of a few years ago, Pilot and Flying J have merged as one company with two brands.  Also, the same occurred for TA and Petro.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Big John on February 06, 2019, 09:44:50 PM
In the South, one could see 2 Waffle House restaurants.

In the Mattress Firm thread, those could be seen on the same corner until they filed for Chapter 11 to close redundant locations.
Murfreesboro, TN Waffle House on both sides of Exit 78 off of I-24.

tchafe1978

Take a drive around La Crosse, WI, the home base for convenience store chain Kwik Trip. There will be a Kwik Trip literally on every corner along any of the main drags.

roadman

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 07, 2019, 03:31:45 PM
The day that mattress stores take over the world. Before you know it, it'll be total anarchy as people can only shop at mattress stores.

It will be known as the "Mattress Event Horizon."  (with apologies to Douglas Adams)
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jon daly

Quote from: Rothman on February 06, 2019, 10:57:14 PM
Got to be places where you see mattress stores near each other.

In the Hammock District, of course.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: catch22 on February 08, 2019, 01:55:42 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 07, 2019, 08:40:50 AM
Honorable mention: Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax has two Macy's stores (Macyses?). You can't see one from the other, but two of the same department store in the same mall feels like it fits the spirit of this thread.

There are two Macy's stores in Lakeside Mall in Sterling Heights, MI.  Crowley's, a Detroit-area department store chain, closed down a few years ago and the former Hudson's/Marshall Field's store expanded into the old Crowley's space; Federated kept this arrangement after the Macy's conversion.  It carries the men's clothing and housewares departments.

Belk has the same arrangement with the former Parisans at the Cool Springs Mall in Franklin, TN and Hamilton Place Mall in Chattanooga, TN.   I have seen others as well.

ErmineNotyours

Noticed this yesterday.  I wouldn't be surprised by two Starbucks on one logo sign, but two Taco Times on one logo sign seems unusual.

roadman

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 05, 2019, 09:27:49 PM
Noticed this yesterday.  I wouldn't be surprised by two Starbucks on one logo sign, but two Taco Times on one logo sign seems unusual.

Two LOGOS for the same brand are not uncommon on freeway signs serving double exit interchanges.  But on a trailblazer at an at-grade intersection on an undivided road is unusual for any brand.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

frankenroad

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 18, 2019, 09:07:48 PM

I'm old enough to remember when they changed from "over 1 million served" to "over 2 million served".  That's million with an M.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: roadman on May 06, 2019, 11:58:18 AM
Two LOGOS for the same brand are not uncommon on freeway signs serving double exit interchanges.

Just an observation, but I've noticed that you consistently write "logo" in all caps. Out of idle curiosity, is there a reason behind that?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

SoCal Kid

Courtyard by Mariott in literally every town in America I swear. Theres one where I live, and another one in the next 3 towns.
Are spurs of spurs of spurs of loops of spurs of loops a thing? ;)

roadman

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 06, 2019, 11:49:55 PM
Two LOGOS for the same brand are not uncommon on freeway signs serving double exit interchanges.

Just an observation, but I've noticed that you consistently write "logo" in all caps. Out of idle curiosity, is there a reason behind that?

Force of habit.  The term LOGO is spelled in all caps whenever it is used in the MassDOT Supplemental Sign Policy.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: roadman on May 08, 2019, 12:34:21 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 06, 2019, 11:49:55 PM

Force of habit.  The term LOGO is spelled in all caps whenever it is used in the MassDOT Supplemental Sign Policy.

Thanks.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.