News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Defunct restaurant chains and retailers

Started by Stephane Dumas, September 05, 2016, 03:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlsterner

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 28, 2020, 09:13:56 AM

I didn't see Horne's yet, but I'm still going through the article.

FWIW, there is still a Horne's restaurant in Port Royal VA, at the intersection of US 301 and US 17.  I've been told that it is the last Horne's in the US.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: dlsterner on December 28, 2020, 08:00:51 PM

FWIW, there is still a Horne's restaurant in Port Royal VA, at the intersection of US 301 and US 17.  I've been told that it is the last Horne's in the US.

It is. There was a different restaurant in Florence, SC that kept the Horne's name but changed the overall format, and it closed in 2013.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

D-Dey65

Quote from: dlsterner on December 28, 2020, 08:00:51 PM

Yes, and I've been there on almost every NYC road trip since 2017. Plus, I eventually found the Horne's in this article.

roadman65

Along US 1, 23, and 301 near Callahan, FL there is the sign left up on the side of the road from a long abandoned Hornes that stands even though the building is been torn down.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

nexus73

Sizzler closed up in North Bend OR.  I wonder if they can be colored gone?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: nexus73 on January 02, 2021, 12:54:02 PM
Sizzler closed up in North Bend OR.  I wonder if they can be colored gone?

Rick

Nope, they still have over 90 locations elsewhere.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

NJRoadfan

Charlie Brown's, a once popular steakhouse chain in New Jersey is now no longer a chain. Its down to one location in Scotch Plains NJ. It was having trouble before the pandemic, so no surprises there. Its one defining feature, the well stocked all you can eat salad bar, has been sidelined as well. They now have a staff member building and serving the salads to you to get around the self service restriction.

Rothman

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 03, 2021, 05:00:06 PM
Charlie Brown's, a once popular steakhouse chain in New Jersey is now no longer a chain. Its down to one location in Scotch Plains NJ. It was having trouble before the pandemic, so no surprises there. Its one defining feature, the well stocked all you can eat salad bar, has been sidelined as well. They now have a staff member building and serving the salads to you to get around the self service restriction.
Didn't they spread beyond NJ?  Thought I heard about Charlie Brown's in other states (maybe even CA?).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NJRoadfan

Charlie Brown's Steakhouse had locations in New York (Fishkill and Staten Island) and Pennsylvania (Allentown area) at it's peak. Before the parent company went bankrupt in 2010 from a CEO embezzlement case it also owned a chain called "The Office Beer Bar and Grill" (NJ only) and Bugaboo Creek Steakhouse (New England chain, now defunct).

thenetwork

There has been about a half-dozen Burger Kings that suddenly went out of business in the past year in Western Colorado, including a few right off of I-70 where they were pretty much the only major fast-food chain (Wendy's, McDonalds, etc...)

Not sure if it is COVID-related or the fact that the Minimum Wage in Colorado just went up to $12.32/hr.

GaryV

Quote from: thenetwork on January 05, 2021, 10:42:17 PM
There has been about a half-dozen Burger Kings that suddenly went out of business in the past year in Western Colorado, ...
Could they have all been the same franchisee, and the franchise was cancelled for some reason?

GCrites

Good chance, a common number of franchises to own is 3 or 6.

thenetwork

Quote from: GCrites80s on January 06, 2021, 11:37:26 AM
Good chance, a common number of franchises to own is 3 or 6.
Quote from: GaryV on January 06, 2021, 07:45:20 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on January 05, 2021, 10:42:17 PM
There has been about a half-dozen Burger Kings that suddenly went out of business in the past year in Western Colorado, ...
Could they have all been the same franchisee, and the franchise was cancelled for some reason?

Maybe, but they all didn't close at the same time.  The most recent BK I saw closed (Eagle, CO) was still open just before Christmas.

Revive 755

Looks like Family Video may be eligible for the list, see https://www.familyvideo.com/store-status.

Does look like they will have an online-only presence.

thenetwork

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 06, 2021, 10:23:24 PM
Looks like Family Video may be eligible for the list, see https://www.familyvideo.com/store-status.

Does look like they will have an online-only presence.

There is still a regional chain of video stores in the CO/NM Area  called Front Row Seat.  I think they are mostly in the rural areas where there ain't much else for entertainment.

GCrites

Crappy internet can keep places like that alive. We moved our store from the middle of a mid-major city to a town of 40k in 2014. Only a mile or two out of town the internet started to suck. We could barely sell a DVD in the city, but wow were DVDs back in the smaller town. As the internet slowly improved out of town DVD sales dropped, but now that things get yanked from streaming services or moved to other ones monthly, DVDs are back -- again.

OCGuy81

Quote from: kernals12 on December 28, 2020, 01:46:27 PM
Casa Bonita, made famous by South Park, used to have 3 locations, now it's down to just 1. And unsurprisingly, it's the one in Colorado

I had no idea that place was real!  :-o

ErmineNotyours

Out of curiosity, I looked up what happened to the large bronze teddy bear that used to be outside the Downtown Seattle FAO Schwarz.  It went to a day care center on Bainbridge Island.  I found a 2013 Street View of it, but it disappeared by the next view in 2018.

roadman65

Valley Fair in NJ. It had many locations after Great Eastern went under and took their old stores. They eventually closed but kept the store in Irvington, NJ that lasted for decades. Now it's closed there.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

AQ Chicken House in Springdale, AR expanded their reach in the 1970's with several drive-in locations called Drumstick Drive-Ins , but they didn't last. They had a sit down location in Fayeteville, but it closed 3-4 years ago.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

OCGuy81

Probably mentioned on here before, but going through some boxes in my garage, and I found a bag from CompUSA....I always kinda liked that store.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CapeCodder

roadman65

Valle's Steakhouse in VA, CT, and MA.

Sheryl Crowe

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.