Bands that change singers: for better or worse?

Started by hbelkins, February 24, 2021, 04:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jander

Edsel Dope fronted Static-X on a tour. I actually wish I had seen that.

roadman65

Quote from: hbelkins on February 25, 2021, 10:46:27 AM
I'd forgotten Genesis. The style of music changed, but I always thought Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins weren't all that different vocally. It wasn't the drastic change that you got when Hagar replaced Roth in Van Halen.

Here's another one I forgot. Rush. 1970s Geddy Lee vs. 2000s Geddy Lee.  :-D The way "2112" was tuned down as early as the "Different Stages" live set showed just how much his voice had changed. Somewhere on YouTube there's a clip of various live versions of "Tom Sawyer" that purports to demonstrate his vocal changes, but to me it's not that noticeable on that song.

I'm amazed at how little Paul Stanley's range has deteriorated. He doesn't sound a great deal different now than he did when Kiss was filling arenas.

Quote from: texaskdog on February 25, 2021, 12:03:43 AM
where did the Spinal Tap drummer idea come from?  So many bands seem to have that rotating position they can't keep filled.

I think that "spontaneously combusting drummer" thing was just supposed to be a joke within the joke.

No Van Roth was not the same band as Van Hagar, but I personally liked em both. Too bad nobody gave Hagar a chance, being many were thinking he tried to take over ole Dave's job and missed him.

I thought that in Bad Company, the replacement on Holy Water did a good job for being a replacement.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: roadman65 on February 25, 2021, 11:24:40 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 25, 2021, 10:46:27 AM
I'd forgotten Genesis. The style of music changed, but I always thought Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins weren't all that different vocally. It wasn't the drastic change that you got when Hagar replaced Roth in Van Halen.

Here's another one I forgot. Rush. 1970s Geddy Lee vs. 2000s Geddy Lee.  :-D The way "2112" was tuned down as early as the "Different Stages" live set showed just how much his voice had changed. Somewhere on YouTube there's a clip of various live versions of "Tom Sawyer" that purports to demonstrate his vocal changes, but to me it's not that noticeable on that song.

I'm amazed at how little Paul Stanley's range has deteriorated. He doesn't sound a great deal different now than he did when Kiss was filling arenas.

Quote from: texaskdog on February 25, 2021, 12:03:43 AM
where did the Spinal Tap drummer idea come from?  So many bands seem to have that rotating position they can't keep filled.

I think that "spontaneously combusting drummer" thing was just supposed to be a joke within the joke.

No Van Roth was not the same band as Van Hagar, but I personally liked em both. Too bad nobody gave Hagar a chance, being many were thinking he tried to take over ole Dave's job and missed him.

I thought that in Bad Company, the replacement on Holy Water did a good job for being a replacement.

van roth was more fun, but i liked van hagar better ... like i thought his voice went better with vh's style.

*prepares to duck flying objects*
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

roadman65

The Doobies are one that went from Rock to Jazz when Michael MacDonald replaced Tom Johnston.  They crafted a new sound after Taking it to the Streets ( which was their last rock album) as MacDonald and his keyboards changed the guitar sounds of the first four albums.

Sheryl Crowe

jmd41280

Quote from: GCrites80s on February 24, 2021, 09:42:45 PM
Everyone should at least give Tony Martin-fronted Black Sabbath a chance. No, Geezer wasn't writing the songs so the mind-expanding stuff isn't there but man did he have a set of pipes. I suggest starting with the Headless Cross album. On a technical basis he was the best for sure. Or watch a live show. I still like the Ozzy stuff the best with Dio number two but each Mk. of Black Sabbath has its charms even if the Tony Martin-era songs are the least memorable.

Call of the Wild from that album is actually one of my favorite Sabbath songs. Unfortunately, I've never been able to find it on iTunes/Apple Music.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

jmd41280

An interesting case would be Queensryche. In his heyday, Geoff Tate was one of the most powerful metal vocalists around. Unfortunately, his voice started to decline from the late '90s onward. They had to downtune to accommodate the changes, and the music reflected that. When Geoff got fired after an on-stage altercation w/ his bandmates in 2012, Todd La Torre took over and has been a very good replacement. He has been able to hit all the notes that Geoff did in his prime and their 3 albums from the La Torre-era have a much more dynamic sound than the later Tate-era albums did. Todd seems to have brought a spark back to that band.

DandyDan

Then there's Alice In Chains. I have seen them twice with William Duvall and think he's just as good as Layne Staley ever was. That doesn't count the songs Jerry Cantrell sings.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

jmd41280

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on February 25, 2021, 11:26:21 PM
van roth was more fun, but i liked van hagar better ... like i thought his voice went better with vh's style.

We are all forgetting about the true voice of VH...Gary Cherone  :cool:

dlsterner

Quote from: jmd41280 on February 28, 2021, 08:30:22 AM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on February 25, 2021, 11:26:21 PM

We are all forgetting about the true voice of VH...Gary Cherone  :cool:

I always answer "Gary Cherone" when somebody asks me "Roth or Hagar?" - if for no other reason than to screw with their mind.

GCrites

Quote from: DandyDan on February 28, 2021, 04:39:22 AM
Then there's Alice In Chains. I have seen them twice with William Duvall and think he's just as good as Layne Staley ever was. That doesn't count the songs Jerry Cantrell sings.

Great singer. AIC is different when you know that they're not junkies, though, considering what nearly every song of theirs from the '90s is about.

roadman65

One replacement for Steve Perry actually sounded like Perry.  And Jason Scheff of Chicago comes real close to Peter Cetera.

PS. Spell check tried to change the name Scheff.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on March 04, 2021, 08:36:12 AM
One replacement for Steve Perry actually sounded like Perry.  And Jason Scheff of Chicago comes real close to Peter Cetera.

There have been two subsequent replacements for Cetera. One was a bassist/singer whose name I can't recall offhand. He left, and the new singer doesn't play bass at all. He just comes out to the microphone and sings when it's time to do a song originally voiced by Cetera.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Avalanchez71

Wasn't it a you tube singer that took over from the Philippians?

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on March 05, 2021, 07:59:57 AM

Arnel Pineda was the lead singer for a Journey cover band, and has been with them for quite a few years now.  It is amazing how much he sounds like Steve Perry.  I saw them in concert a couple of years ago, and noted that Pineda would sing a song or two as the lead, then might pop back to get a drink of water, and they would sing a song with another lead (mostly Cain). 

dlsterner

Quote from: Life in Paradise on March 05, 2021, 01:10:22 PM

Arnel Pineda was the lead singer for a Journey cover band, and has been with them for quite a few years now.  It is amazing how much he sounds like Steve Perry.  I saw them in concert a couple of years ago, and noted that Pineda would sing a song or two as the lead, then might pop back to get a drink of water, and they would sing a song with another lead (mostly Cain).

Brings up an interesting question - about bands who replaced their lead singer with somebody who was fronting a "cover" or a "tribute" band, as apparently was the case above with Arnel Pineda replacing Steve Perry in Journey.

One other example of this phenomena that I can think of was when Tim "Ripper" Owens briefly replaced Rob Halford as the front man for Judas Priest.  Owens had been singing for a JP tribute band.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Life in Paradise on March 05, 2021, 01:10:22 PM

About 10-15 years or so ago we saw Journey with Def Leppard.  In the middle of Journey's set the lead singer disappeared and the other band members including the drummer each took a turn at the lead vocals for the remainder of the show.  I found out later the singer was having major problems with his voice and the others had to jump in to finish the show for him.  They did a great job.  This was the last or second to last show for the singer who had been with them for quite awhile.  But even he was way better than Joe Elliot of Def Leppard at that point.

mgk920

Quote from: Rothman on February 24, 2021, 04:46:25 PM
Those bands are older than dirt.

A few weeks ago I caught an unfamiliar AC/DC song ('Realize') on a local radio station and just now found out that it is a cut off of a *new* album set called 'PWR UP' that was released on 2020-11-13.  It sounds exactly like their stuff from the late 1970s and the 1980s.  Brian Johnson is now 73 years old and his voice and style have not changed at all.

:wow:

:cool:

Mike

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: mgk920 on March 10, 2021, 03:10:14 AM

A few weeks ago I caught an unfamiliar AC/DC song ('Realize') on a local radio station and just now found out that it is a cut off of a *new* album set called 'PWR UP' that was released on 2020-11-13.  It sounds exactly like their stuff from the late 1970s and the 1980s.  Brian Johnson is now 73 years old and his voice and style have not changed at all.

Mike

I couldn't help but notice almost all the "best concert" thread entries (including mine) were people seeing past-prime classic rock acts in the last 15 years. Says a lot about today's live performances.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 10, 2021, 04:00:03 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on March 10, 2021, 03:10:14 AM

Mike

I couldn't help but notice almost all the "best concert" thread entries (including mine) were people seeing past-prime classic rock acts in the last 15 years. Says a lot about today's live performances.
Nah.  Just the preference of the forum participants for bands older than dirt.  Plenty of other great acts out there that aren't Boomers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on March 10, 2021, 06:12:53 PM
Nah.  Just the preference of the forum participants for bands older than dirt.  Plenty of other great acts out there that aren't Boomers.
[/quote]

Where are they? Where are today's versions of Metallica? Iron Maiden? 70s-era Chicago? Styx? Black Sabbath? Deep Purple? Heck, where are the new versions of obscure bands like Accept?

If someone can point me to a new act that's similar to bands like those, I will gladly download their albums off Usenet or leech them from YouTube buy their CDs.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2021, 07:15:49 PM

Where are they? Where are today's versions of Metallica? Iron Maiden? 70s-era Chicago? Styx? Black Sabbath? Deep Purple? Heck, where are the new versions of obscure bands like Accept?

If someone can point me to a new act that's similar to bands like those, I will gladly download their albums off Usenet or leech them from YouTube buy their CDs.
[/quote]Lady Gaga.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on March 10, 2021, 08:52:26 PM

Lady Gaga.

Removed the offending tag so people can make heads and tails of this quote string.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

Well outside of the mainstream. Bandcamp has lots and lots of smaller artists.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

GCrites

Yeah you take away the gatekeepers such as radio stations, MTV, record store owners, A&R people and all of a sudden everyone listens to different stuff than everyone else. I actually find it comforting when I hear curation of music by advanced listeners since on my own I'd listen to the same old stuff and algos creep me out. Also algos are really boring.

hbelkins

I've heard Lady Gaga. That's not my type of music, as I lean to hard rock/heavy metal. Where's the new Aerosmith? The next BTO? Heck, I'd settle for decent pop metal like Night Ranger or Bon Jovi.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.