News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sequels you dislike compared to the origi

Started by roadman65, March 02, 2021, 02:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I read on here someone ranted about the sequels to Smokey and the Bandit being real bad compared to the first movie. So I will start this thread about movie sequels that can't live up to its original.

Smokey and the Bandit was a great movie, but it's two sequels were not the same as its first.

Smokey and the Bandit II was funny and Jackie Gleason, like in the first, one was funny and made me laugh like the first, but the thrill of the chase and the cat and mouse premise were totally lacking in the second.  It was even more cartoonish than the first.

First of all there was no race against time and only Buford was after the Bandit and not every law enforcement officer in the southeast like in the original.  The lovers spat of Bandit and Carrie ruined the film and the elephant cargo having them stop every 100 miles ruined the whole action.  Though the desert showdown did make up somewhat for it, it still lacked the spirit of the previous.

Then Bufords car having the roof lights smashed by Mean Joe Greene and seconds later undamaged was out of the Road Runner cartoon.  Plus the car falling off a bridge into the water to be pulled out dry and like nothing happened, is very unnatural.  Then his scrunched up car in the end was unrealistic as in the first his piece of shit was believable.

Then number 3 bombed without Burt Reynolds as that one Gleason the Star with Jerry Reed as the new Bandit was subplot to the story. Plus Reed is no Bandit anyway.

What movie sequels do you find terrible compared to the first?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

The Matrix sequels dragged were trash and the original down with them. 

TheHighwayMan3561

I liked Godfather I far better than Godfather II, despite many saying the movies are equal or even some saying II is superior to I.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NWI_Irish96

Airplane II and Caddyshack II were both terrible sequels to two of the best comedies ever.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 02, 2021, 04:05:01 PM
Airplane II and Caddyshack II were both terrible sequels to two of the best comedies ever.

A lot of people didn't like Ghostbusters II for similar reasons but I think time has been way kinder to said sequel. 

Big John

The Naked Gun 33 1/3 did not live to standards.

I-39

Ones I can think off the top of my head

Home Alone: first movie is classic (even though incredibly implausible), but the sequels are not just implausible, but unbearably bad.

The Santa Clause: First one was awesome, second one was ok (minus the dumb toy Santa subplot), third one was awful (and contradicted the whole message of the franchise).

Free Willy: Great First movie, sequels were bad and unnecessary.

Spider Man (Toby McGuire movies): Liked the first one, sequels were meh.

The Chronicles of Narnia movies: first one was good, the other two were not (I didn't really care for the books outside of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and the Magicians Nephew)

JayhawkCO

Major League.  The first one was a classic, the second was pretty horrible.
Boondock Saints.  They definitely should have left that alone.
American Pie.  All of the reboots were bad.
Speed.  Good old fashioned 90's action movie.  Speed on a non-speed boat?  No thanks.
Jurassic Park.  Although the more recent ones with Chris Pratt were good, the initial sequels were bad.
Scream.  A really imaginative horror movie.  The second one, not as much.

Chris

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: I-39 on March 02, 2021, 05:36:21 PM

Home Alone: first movie is classic (even though incredibly implausible), but the sequels are not just implausible, but unbearably bad.

The Santa Clause: First one was awesome, second one was ok (minus the dumb toy Santa subplot), third one was awful (and contradicted the whole message of the franchise).

The Chronicles of Narnia movies: first one was good, the other two were not (I didn't really care for the books outside of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and the Magicians Nephew)

Knowledge hub had their own take on the Santa Clause saga which I now accept as canon:

Max Rockatansky

Any Hellraiser after the original was a huge decline in quality.  Hellraiser 2 was okay but the rest are total garbage even by slasher movie standards.

I-39

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 02, 2021, 06:35:42 PM
Quote from: I-39 on March 02, 2021, 05:36:21 PM

Knowledge hub had their own take on the Santa Clause saga which I now accept as canon:

Lol, I still like the first one even after watching that, but the sequels are trash.

OCGuy81

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 02, 2021, 04:23:47 PM

A lot of people didn't like Ghostbusters II for similar reasons but I think time has been way kinder to said sequel. 

I think comedies in general don't lend themselves to sequels.

The aforementioned Airplane and Caddyshack sequels, plus Anchorman and The Hangover.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 02, 2021, 07:01:35 PM

The aforementioned Airplane and Caddyshack sequels, plus Anchorman and The Hangover.

At least Ghostbusters was at minimum equal parts Science Fiction as comedy.  Ghostbusters 2 was definitely not a bad movie nor deserved to be lumped into categories like Caddy Shack 2 and all the garbage American Pie sequels. 

I-39

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 02, 2021, 07:14:19 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 02, 2021, 07:01:35 PM

At least Ghostbusters was at minimum equal parts Science Fiction as comedy.  Ghostbusters 2 was definitely not a bad movie nor deserved to be lumped into categories like Caddy Shack 2 and all the garbage American Pie sequels.

Ghostbusters 2 wasn't nearly as bad as the reboot......

tq-07fan

Blues Brothers 2000 (which was actually released in 1998). I only saw it once but was sorry I did.

Jim

Max Rockatansky

Pretty much almost everything in the Alien franchise after Aliens.  I did like Prometheus though...

Also everything outside of the original Halloween and Halloween III doesn't do it for me. 

OCGuy81

All of the Star Wars prequels and the Abrams Star Wars movies.

(Sits back and waits for some anger from this. Sorry, they're not as good as the original trilogy)

Also:

Indiana Jones and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Waiting almost 20 years and that's what we get??

Blade Runner 2049, see note above with an even longer duration in between.

kkt

The sequels being worse than the original is the rule.  We could have a much shorter thread writing about sequels that are better than the original. 

Hmm, I think Odyssey is a more interesting epic than the Iliad.

roadman65

Quote from: kkt on March 02, 2021, 11:33:07 PM
The sequels being worse than the original is the rule.  We could have a much shorter thread writing about sequels that are better than the original. 

Hmm, I the Odyssey is a more interesting epic than the Iliad.

Lethal Weapon was with good sequels and II was better than the original.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kkt

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 02, 2021, 11:32:15 PM

(Sits back and waits for some anger from this. Sorry, they're not as good as the original trilogy)

Also:

Indiana Jones and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Waiting almost 20 years and that's what we get??

No argument about Star Wars here.  Rogue One is the only one that's close to as good as the original movie.
And Abrams, well, if he wanted to make some fantasy/SF movies that had nothing to do with Star Trek, he shouldn't have called them Star Trek.

OCGuy81

Quote from: kkt on March 02, 2021, 11:36:16 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 02, 2021, 11:32:15 PM

Also:

No argument about Star Wars here.  Rogue One is the only one that's close to as good as the original movie.
And Abrams, well, if he wanted to make some fantasy/SF movies that had nothing to do with Star Trek, he shouldn't have called them Star Trek.

Yep! The first Abrams Star Trek, IMO, was a huge middle finger to long term fans.

"Let's take the history all you Trek fans know, and chuck it out the window ASAP. Also, let's make the bridge of the Enterprise look like an Apple store and ensure nobody in the Federation is over 30!"

hbelkins

Christmas and European were pretty good Vacation movies and held their own and are comparable to the original. Vegas was awful.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Quote from: kkt on March 02, 2021, 11:33:07 PM

Hmm, I think Odyssey is a more interesting epic than the Iliad.
Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kurumi

The original Hellboy (with Ra Ra Rasputin, Sammael, the Ogrdu Jahad) might be the best movie based on a horror comic.
The sequel had forced humor, unlikeable villains*, and too many idiot plot turns. Really disappointing.

Incredibles 2: not as bad as Hellboy: Lame Elf Shit but some Cool Del Toro Creatures, but didn't measure up to the original at all.

Disclaimer: didn't see the second: but X-Files movie 1 (disappointing compared to TV series) was followed 10 years later by a movie with no paranormal stuff in it. What's the point.

(Halloween III might not be the best Halloween, but it's the most interesting. Killer robots and Lovecraftian plots > guy in knife and mask)

* yes, you're supposed to dislike villains usually, but that elfy sibling pair was simply annoying
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Finrod

For me, the standard for a horrible sequel is Highlander 2: The Quickening Sickening.  I knew fans of Highlander that walked out of the theater in the middle of Highlander 2.

I haven't seen it, but I'm told that Independence Day: Resurgence was pretty bad.

Cars 2 for me was nowhere as good as Cars.  Way too much Mater.

There are a small number of sequels that I think are actually better than the original:

X-Men 2: X-Men United was better than X-Men, for me.  X-Men 3 is best forgotten about, though.

Shrek 2 was better than Shrek because of Puss In Boots.

The Dark Knight was lots better than Batman Begins, which I'm not a fan of.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.