News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

Maybe DOTD split LA 182 like they did LA 602 in Richland Parish?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Alex

Quote from: cenlaroads on November 03, 2016, 09:17:52 PM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on October 17, 2016, 11:37:21 AM
I am making a spreadsheet of all the Louisiana state highways and their distances to see how much I have traveled within the state. I'm using a combination of the state log posted on aaroads and the Wikipedia list because parts of that seem to be more updated as I compare highway mileage on Google maps.

Can any of the other Louisianians tell me anything about LA 182-2? It's on the Wikipedia page but with no descriptions. I know about 182-1, but I'm trying to figure out if 182-2 exists or if it is a proposed route.

I know from experience that the mileage for LA 15 is incorrect on the AARoads log, which says that the mileage is 264.56.  Wikipedia says 194.52, which is accurate from what I remember when I drove it and checked it on Google maps.  I have my own spreadsheet like the one you mention, but only with state routes I have clinched.  I usually just used the AARoads log mileage though, unless it was obviously incorrect.

I am not aware of any hyphenated routes for LA 182.  Where is LA 182-1?  If I discover 182-2 I will let you know.

FWIW, I typed up the Louisiana Route Log on the site back in 2003.

cenlaroads

Quote from: Alex on November 04, 2016, 12:38:24 PM
Quote from: cenlaroads on November 03, 2016, 09:17:52 PM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on October 17, 2016, 11:37:21 AM
I am making a spreadsheet of all the Louisiana state highways and their distances to see how much I have traveled within the state. I'm using a combination of the state log posted on aaroads and the Wikipedia list because parts of that seem to be more updated as I compare highway mileage on Google maps.

Can any of the other Louisianians tell me anything about LA 182-2? It's on the Wikipedia page but with no descriptions. I know about 182-1, but I'm trying to figure out if 182-2 exists or if it is a proposed route.

I know from experience that the mileage for LA 15 is incorrect on the AARoads log, which says that the mileage is 264.56.  Wikipedia says 194.52, which is accurate from what I remember when I drove it and checked it on Google maps.  I have my own spreadsheet like the one you mention, but only with state routes I have clinched.  I usually just used the AARoads log mileage though, unless it was obviously incorrect.

I am not aware of any hyphenated routes for LA 182.  Where is LA 182-1?  If I discover 182-2 I will let you know.

Did you get the route info from Louisiana DOTD?  The 264.56 mile figure was probably just a mistake in their data.  There haven't been any route changes for LA 15 that would have shortened the route by that much.  I think that is the only error I have noticed.  Any other differences are probably the result of route changes.

By the way, I hope you didn't have to manually type in the mileage and endpoints for ~1200 routes.  Whether you did or not, thank you for making it.  Updated or not, it's a great resource.

Alex

Quote from: cenlaroads on November 04, 2016, 10:09:49 PM
Quote from: Alex on November 04, 2016, 12:38:24 PM

Did you get the route info from Louisiana DOTD?  The 264.56 mile figure was probably just a mistake in their data.  There haven't been any route changes for LA 15 that would have shortened the route by that much.  I think that is the only error I have noticed.  Any other differences are probably the result of route changes.

Yes, the contact I emailed at LADOTD back then sent me a large excel spreadsheet with the information. I still may have it on disc around here somewhere.

Quote from: cenlaroads on November 04, 2016, 10:09:49 PM
By the way, I hope you didn't have to manually type in the mileage and endpoints for ~1200 routes.  Whether you did or not, thank you for making it.  Updated or not, it's a great resource.

That's exactly what I did. Was so long ago I cannot remember how long it took, but it wasn't fast. Glad you and others found it useful.

At that time there were still a good number of road websites out there. Adam F had Mississippi covered and there was an old school Alabama page online too. Florida had some coverage via Rob D and SPUI, so that left Louisiana with very little online. Figured with as often as I got there, and it having no route log, why not create one.

brownpelican

DOTD has unveiled a proposal to construct an exit ramp to Terrace Avenue on I-110 South in downtown Baton Rouge.

http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/public_info/projects/home.aspx?key=100

jbnv

Quote from: brownpelican on November 11, 2016, 12:12:35 PM
DOTD has unveiled a proposal to construct an exit ramp to Terrace Avenue on I-110 South in downtown Baton Rouge.

http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/public_info/projects/home.aspx?key=100

Interesting. In addition to the benefits that they mention, having this new exit also makes it easier to condemn the Washington Street exit for the sake of widening I-10 eastbound in that area.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

apjung

Quote from: cjk374 on October 10, 2016, 10:06:55 PM
Quote from: jbnv on October 10, 2016, 09:55:14 PM
Watching the make signs is cool. Watching them make those hideous post-Clearview signs that are popping up everywhere is not.

Amen! Has anyone ever seen the DOTD...or any other highway department...do a partial replacement of an extruded sheet sign? It has been nothing but total sign replacents as far as I have seen.

Well, this sign usually get hit by overheight trucks and I've see the bottom section get knocked off and then replaced.
https://goo.gl/maps/Xx3P6odf5HP2

cjk374

Quote from: apjung on December 28, 2016, 04:02:13 AM
Watching the make signs is cool. Watching them make those hideous post-Clearview signs that are popping up everywhere is not.

Amen! Has anyone ever seen the DOTD...or any other highway department...do a partial replacement of an extruded sheet sign? It has been nothing but total sign replacents as far as I have seen.

Well, this sign usually get hit by overheight trucks and I've see the bottom section get knocked off and then replaced.

This looks like a prime example of poor sign placement. Why can't they raise them up where the bottom of the sign is even with the bottom of the bridge?

They may need to put up warning signs a mile or 2 back warning of low...sign clearance.   :pan:  :banghead:

apjung

Quote from: cjk374 on December 28, 2016, 04:11:56 PM
Quote from: apjung on December 28, 2016, 04:02:13 AM

This looks like a prime example of poor sign placement. Why can't they raise them up where the bottom of the sign is even with the bottom of the bridge?

They may need to put up warning signs a mile or 2 back warning of low...sign clearance.   :pan:  :banghead:

I think the reason is that they don't want the Graffiti vandals tagging the back of the sign on the bridge.

cjk374

http://www.louisianabyways.com

I came across this website today while researching why they put a scenic by way sign here in my hometown.

20170210_155845 by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr

The site describing these byways is ok at best. On the US 80 site, the map points at Vicksburg saying that the Tallulah tourist info office is there.  :pan:  They also name the MS River bridge...next to Grant's Canal...as a thing to see, despite the fact that it has been closed to traffic for nearly 20 years now.

What do y'all think/say?

jasonh300

Quote from: jbnv on October 14, 2016, 11:45:35 AM
Looks like the blank is screen-printed and the number is film.

Whatever they use for the numbers, it doesn't work very well.

I know I'm a few months late to this discussion, but I used to own a sign company, and black (as well as white) vinyl is cheaper than colors.  Screen printing ink should cost about the same for black or any standard color, unless the old green signs were some odd specific color that had to be specially made or mixed.  But the green would have to be really expensive to make a big difference in cost, since the blanks appear to be screen printed in bulk, and it doesn't take a whole lot of ink to screen print a sign. 

There are bad runs of vinyl, where the adhesive doesn't stick well, or the vinyl shrinks more than normal and it comes loose around the edges.  The climate in Louisiana is especially hard on adhesive vinyl. 

I've seen a lot of Louisiana state shields with haphazardly applied numbers.  I assume that when the numbers start to peel, they just send someone out with some loose numbers to change them out.  They get on a ladder and just peel the old numbers off and smack the new ones back on there and you end up with a sign that looks like this.

I've been meaning to get some pictures of the badly numbered signs and put them all together in a photo gallery.

cjk374

I have yet to see a DOTD employee on a step ladder doing anything about peeling numbers.

20161017_134759 by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr

Even these have suffered peeling. But they would be more likely to fix/change these in the field than state route shields.

jbnv

Quote from: jasonh300 on February 11, 2017, 08:56:57 AM
I've been meaning to get some pictures of the badly numbered signs and put them all together in a photo gallery.

There are plenty of examples out there. Especially in Baton Rouge and parts of metro New Orleans.

Ugly LA 39/47 Route Signs by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

LA 50 Route Sign by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

JCT LA 37-3034-64 by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

sparker

Quote from: jbnv on February 11, 2017, 12:44:14 PM
Quote from: jasonh300 on February 11, 2017, 08:56:57 AM

There are plenty of examples out there. Especially in Baton Rouge and parts of metro New Orleans.

Ugly LA 39/47 Route Signs by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

LA 50 Route Sign by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

JCT LA 37-3034-64 by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

This LADot district must be in a contest with Caltrans' District 4 (my home base) for the worst-fabbed state shields in existence!  So far, it's pretty close to dead even!

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: cjk374 on October 11, 2016, 10:11:31 PM
Quote from: jbnv on October 11, 2016, 09:41:53 PM
If all of the signs are made in the shop in Baton Rouge, why is there so much fluctuation among state-highway shields?

As in why do some shields have peeling digits and some don't? Good question.

My question...is black sheeting really cheaper than green? It may be, but if they cut back the amount of black ordered...or change vendors?

As in that and as in why newer signs in the New Orleans area have white borders around the edge while signs going up in other districts do not.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9382585,-90.0502717,3a,37.5y,325.58h,78.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVpUSlLmiHUeq0ExSW9cc4A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9379136,-90.0505779,3a,75y,84.83h,64.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sff1AS6jTJuJ502x5y3xgGA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

jbnv

Observation: The two signs below are on the Westbank. All of the signs I posted just above are east of the river.

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on February 17, 2017, 12:55:11 PM
As in that and as in why newer signs in the New Orleans area have white borders around the edge while signs going up in other districts do not.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9382585,-90.0502717,3a,37.5y,325.58h,78.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVpUSlLmiHUeq0ExSW9cc4A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9379136,-90.0505779,3a,75y,84.83h,64.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sff1AS6jTJuJ502x5y3xgGA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

jasonh300

I'll have to pay closer attention to that.  The roundabout there is only a few years old, but I think the signs are newer.  I drive through there about once a week, and I recently noticed those signs as being a bit odd, but mostly because they're wider than they are tall, rather than square.  Now that I'm seeing the white borders, that also makes them look unusual.

brownpelican

brownpelican

Quote from: jasonh300 on April 13, 2017, 10:04:49 PM

I'll have to pay closer attention to that.  The roundabout there is only a few years old, but I think the signs are newer.  I drive through there about once a week, and I recently noticed those signs as being a bit odd, but mostly because they're wider than they are tall, rather than square.  Now that I'm seeing the white borders, that also makes them look unusual.

I've seen the new borders on signs in Hammond and the Covington areas as well.

brownpelican

Looks like there's a proposal to widen Collins Boulevard (US 190) in Covington. It's about time...the right of way is already available
http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/public_info/projects/home.aspx?key=96

Grzrd

Quote from: Dave H on March 29, 2017, 08:11:06 AM
Louisiana considering increasing gasoline tax.  While I am against increasing overall taxation, increasing the current 16 cents/gallon gas tax to something higher makes sense.  In fact, a graduated increase, say 5-10 cents a year over 2-4 years would work. 
http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/news/2017/03/27/la-residents-might-put-peddle-metal-gas-tax/99691082/
(above quote from I-69 in LA (and LA 3132/Shreveport Inner Loop Extension) thread)

This article reports that, in a mild surprise, the proposed 17 cent gas tax hike cleared a House committee with bipartisan support. It has a long way to go, but appears to be gathering momentum:

Opening a late session controversy, a House panel Tuesday narrowly approved a bill that would raise Louisiana's gasoline tax by 17 cents per gallon, increasing state aid for roads and bridges by $510 million annually.
"It is time to act," Shawn Wilson, secretary for the state Department of Transportation and Development, told the Louisiana House Ways and Means Committee.
The committee approved the bill 9-7 after three hours of debate in a jammed committee room, with an unusual coalition of five Democrats and four Republicans teaming up to endorse the measure. The winning side included three GOP members from the always congested Baton Rouge area, a sign that geography can trump political party ....
It suddenly adds a high-profile topic to a session already engulfed in state financial problems and political bickering.
The session ends on June 8.
Supporters have to round up a two-thirds majority in the House — at least  70 votes — to send the issue to the state Senate, always a huge political challenge.

Anthony_JK

It looks now as if that momentum has been abruptly halted.

This story from the Lafayette Advertiser says that the proposed 17-cent increase in the gas tax is essentially DOA due to rising opposition from the usual anti-tax conservatives, and will not make the 2/3rds majority needed for passage in the Louisiana House. And, an attempt at a reduced version of the gas tax increase won't go well, either.

Supporters of a gas tax hike (/story/news/2017/05/16/pedal­metal­panel­approves­gastax­hike/101741002/) are pitching an unleaded version that reduces the increase from 17 cents to 10 cents in a last­ditch, desperation effort to pass something in the House this week.

But even the latest version is a long shot to secure the two-­thirds approval needed for House Bill 632 by Rep. Steve Carter, R-­Baton Rouge.

And the anti­tax lobby Americans for Prosperity promised Tuesday it would coordinate an event in the district of every legislator who votes for the bill to call he or she out.

"Everything lawmakers have asked us to do we've accommodated, and it's still going to be an uphill battle to get a 'yes' vote," Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development Secretary Shawn Wilson said.

In fact, if Carter can't identify at least 75 yes votes he won't even bring it to the floor Wednesday for a vote. "They don't want members to bleed on a yes vote if it doesn't have a chance," Wilson said.

The existing state sales tax is 20 cents. It hasn't been raised since 1989.

In addition to reducing the increase from 17 cents to 10 cents, other adjustments include: removing language that would allow more increases tied to the Consumer Price Index; allowing 5 cents to roll off in 10 years; and tie its ultimate passage to constitutional amendments preventing the State Police from tapping the Transportation Trust Fund. At 10 cents the bill would generate $300 million annually rather than the $500 million 17 cents would provide.

"I think we can still have an impact but nowhere near what we could do with 17 cents," Wilson said. "I don't have confidence the 10 cents would maintain its value."

Half of the new tax would go toward funding mega projects. Among them: Interstate 49 in Acadiana; a southern bypass in Alexandria; a fourth Ouachita River bridge in Ouachita Parish; and building a new fourlane highway from I­20 to I­220 to connect both ends of I­49 in northwestern Louisiana.

Here's the breakdown of the rest of the money: $100 million for preservation; $10 million for routine highway maintenance; $20 million for local government assistance projects; and $20 million for multimodal projects.

Most acknowledge Louisiana's transportation infrastructure needs are great. The state earned a D+ grade in the American Society of Civil Engineers' Report Card.

But opponents said taxpayers are already overburdened and they don't trust the state to spend the money wisely.

"The Legislature already increased taxes last year more than any other state in the nation," said John Kay of Americans for Prosperity. "That combined with a jobs recession in Louisiana shows it's a bad time to raise taxes.

"We have laid down a marker on this tax and will hold any legislator accountable who votes for it." AFP paid the existing gas tax (a combined 38 cents in state and federal sales taxes) for 100 cars at Rende's convenience story on Airline Highway in Baton Rouge Tuesday as part of its campaign against the tax.

Wilson called the event "a stunt" on Twitter.

It is probably more likely if this tax fails that there will be little or no new construction or upgrades of Louisiana highways until the federal highway funding situation is resolved.

It's also more likely that a more conservative (read, right-wing) Louisiana Legislature will look at severe cuts in other areas, such as health care and education, as well as tolls and Public-Private Partnerships, to fund highway improvements. There is also talk of even more cutting of "operating costs" within LADOTD in order to free up money for highway projects.

Grover Norquist and his anti-government lobbyists win again.

jbnv

Johnboy and the Legislature should have considered that when they raised the sales tax to give benefits to their voting blocs. The public is pissed.

cjk374

Work has now started on the building of a new exit on I-20. It will be exit 83 at Tarbutton Rd. in Ruston.

A new Service Rd. extension has also started in Ruston. It is on the westbound side of I-20 and runs from the current-end of the existing road (North Service Rd. East) to the next overpass at Rough Edge Rd. There has been talk for almost 20 years about building a new exit for Rough Edge Rd. I believe it would be exit 89, and the talk was centered around making that exit serve as a way to get to the Ruston airport. If they did that, they would need a lot of trailblazer signs to guide people to the airport. Ruston's airport isn't served by any airline company...mostly just for business jets.

brownpelican

Gov. Edwards used his line-item veto power to take out $77 million worth of projects from the $3.8 billion state construction budget passed during the special session earlier this month.

It involves 36 projects from around the state, including some road/highway projects.

http://www.wbrz.com/news/77-million-stripped-from-state-construction-budget

EDIT: The veto messages can be found here: http://legis.la.gov/archive/172ES/veto.htm See HB 2. Projects vetoed include:

• $7,560,100 for LA 930 Reconstruction (Ascension).
  • $9,650,000 for LA 64 Capacity Improvements (LA 1019 to LA 16) Planning and Construction (Livingston Parish).
  • $433,400 for Wiles Road and Kountry Komer Road Reconstruction, Planning and Construction.(Caldwell).
  • $200,000 for Iberia Parish Highway 90 West Drainage Improvements (Iberia).
  • $1,990,000 for Airline Drive (US 61) at 17th Street Canal Drainage Crossing Railroad Bridge Replacement, Planning and Construction (Jefferson).
  • $495,000 for Roadway Reconstruction, Planning and Construction (Winn).
  • $110,000 for Anacoco Street Rehabilitation - Liles Road and East Road, Planning and Construction (Vemon).
  • $2,660,000 for Five Lane Road Extension from Highway 675 to Highway 3212, Planning and Construction (Iberia).
  • $245,000 for Rehabilitate LA Hwy 182 from US 90 to LA Hwy 89, Planning and Construction (Lafayette).
  • $2,240,000 for Three-Lane LA 182 in the City of Broussard, Planning and Construction ($750,000 Match) (Lafayette).
  • $1,000,000 for Verot School Road, Construction (Lafayette).
  • $1,200,000 for LA Highway 616 (Caldwell Road to LA Highway 143), Planning and Construction (Ouachita).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.