AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Elgin-O'Hare Tollway  (Read 219818 times)

ChiMilNet

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 08:48:36 PM
    • ChiMil Photos
Re: Elgin-O'Hare Tollway
« Reply #550 on: March 22, 2019, 11:06:06 AM »

Here is a crazy, delusional, fictional idea I just had. What if someone proposed to build a tunnel underneath O'Hare airport that would connect IL-390 with Interstate 190, as a way to bypass O'Hare and surrounding roads? What do you all think of my ludicrous fantasy proposal?
Supposedly the way the Blue Line was constructed, it can't be extended directly from its current terminus (the occasional proposals to extend the Blue Line to Schaumburg would require building a spur off the current Blue Line before the O'Hare stop).  I'm not sure if that also means you couldn't build an I-190 tunnel under the current airport terminal.

Technically feasible = Yes
Very expensive = Yes
Will Chicago allow it? = No

If the tunnel like this started on I-190 back at Mannheim and came up at the new parking garage on the west side of the airport? Then yes, Chicago would do it.

But it would be cheaper to have the O'Hare recirculator go through that tunnel instead of cars and trucks and pop up in some future west terminal.

Chicago is too greedy.

The western suburbs tried to have a fixed transit service come in from the west to O'Hare and tunnel under to arrive at Terminal 2.  Chicago wouldn't have it.

Northwest suburbs tried to join in on the concept. A direct transit route from Arlington Heights/Palatine.  Chicago said "no way".

To Chicago, O'Hare is an old fashioned bank. 

They haven't figured out what most banks today have, the easier you make it for people to get their money, the more they want to put it there.

O'Hare is like an old school bank, they want all your money, they restrict what you can do with it and limit your abilities to get it.

They haven't realized that the easier it is to get in and out, the more people will use it. (duh)

After what it took to get a Metra stop at O'Hare, and get Chicago to agree to punch a hole in the fence so people could walk over.  They still object to any enhancement to that station.

Control and greed.

When the Illinois State Lottery wanted to put vending machines in O'Hare, Chicago told them to pound sand.

They finally did a swap. Illinois State Police got all patrol priority and ticket revenue for stops on the interstates in city limits, in return, Chicago got to keep a large part of lottery vending revenue.

Chicago Police stopped harassing commuters shortly thereafter. Within a year Illinois State Police patrols on city limit interstates dropped to nil.

Control and greed.

I actually proposed this idea also in a prior thread. I think the only way Chicago would even CONSIDER agreeing to it is if the Tollway and Chicago worked out a deal to split any revenue a tollway tunnel would create. I could foresee a rate of $4-$5 to use it. Plenty of people would do it for the convenience, but a lot of people would avoid it to avoid the high toll. This is, of course, getting into fictional, so I'll stop it here. I'll be excited for when the I-490/90 interchange starts. Having that link will make trips to Schaumburg, Itasca, and some of the West Suburbs from the North Side of Chicago a fair amount easier (though a bit pricey, I admit).

ILRoad55

• 3D Artist

• Last Login: March 01, 2023, 11:17:53 AM
« Reply #551 on: March 22, 2019, 11:39:36 AM »

When my Son and I did the halloween bicycle ride on 390 back in 2017, we had a lot of fun.  Awesome experience to ride on a tollway without cars before it opens.

That reminds me of when my Dad and I did the event they had for the 355-extension before it opened it. I was a kid and we walked from 127th to like the north end of the Des Plaines River Valley Bridge. It was really cool but I barely remember much of it.

edwaleni

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:22:34 PM
« Reply #552 on: December 02, 2019, 10:06:11 PM »

For those interested, ISTHA is currently working with the City of Hanover Park on a study to extend the I-390 Tollway west to County Farm Road.

https://www.illinoistollway.com/outreach/projects-in-your-community/us20-interchange-improvement-study

As many are aware this is simply a continuation over the ROW IDOT acquired back in 1972 to relocate traffic off of Lake Street for the Elgin-OHare Project.

IDOT owns almost 85-90% of the ROW needed to finish the E-O except for some parcels in Bartlett and east of Elgin.

ET21

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:11:16 PM
« Reply #553 on: December 03, 2019, 10:40:39 AM »

That'd be cool, I've started using that end a little more frequently. Shocked they aren't looking a little further westward to terminate it, probably due to the patchwork ROWs that aren't claimed yet
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:02:06 PM
« Reply #554 on: December 03, 2019, 01:29:08 PM »

Are they still planning to build an arterial road off the end of Highway 390 to North Ave.? If so, would this arterial road carry the Highway 390 designation?

edwaleni

« Reply #555 on: December 03, 2019, 03:49:06 PM »

Are they still planning to build an arterial road off the end of Highway 390 to North Ave.? If so, would this arterial road carry the Highway 390 designation?

At the moment this study only covers to County Farm Road.

As for any extension of the road to North Avenue in Bartlett, not likely.

IDOT owns all the required parcels to extend the highway to interstate standards to the intersection of North Ave and Lake Street.

But between that intersection going west on Lake Street, the new road would replace Lake Street with access roads (similar to what I-290 did to Lake Street from Northlake to Elmhurst)

Oddly, several parcels in this area recently came up for sale, but because IDOT has no more funding for ROW acquisition, it would have to be a ISTHA buy at this point.

Personally, I wish ISTHA would just get it over with and finish it to Old Lake Street in Bartlett. Plenty of room for an entry toll plaza for the cash only crowd.

• Last Login: Today at 03:39:35 AM
« Reply #556 on: December 03, 2019, 04:58:47 PM »

I wish the would too but this will graveyard lift because Bartlett has to come up with a match. A Build Grant?

Joe The Dragon

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:19:08 PM
« Reply #557 on: December 03, 2019, 09:31:38 PM »

At the moment this study only covers to County Farm Road.

As for any extension of the road to North Avenue in Bartlett, not likely.

IDOT owns all the required parcels to extend the highway to interstate standards to the intersection of North Ave and Lake Street.

But between that intersection going west on Lake Street, the new road would replace Lake Street with access roads (similar to what I-290 did to Lake Street from Northlake to Elmhurst)

Oddly, several parcels in this area recently came up for sale, but because IDOT has no more funding for ROW acquisition, it would have to be a ISTHA buy at this point.

Personally, I wish ISTHA would just get it over with and finish it to Old Lake Street in Bartlett. Plenty of room for an entry toll plaza for the cash only crowd.
cash only is going away on the tollways.

edwaleni

« Reply #558 on: December 03, 2019, 11:19:51 PM »

I wish the would too but this will graveyard lift because Bartlett has to come up with a match. A Build Grant?

The City of Bartlett has already told IDOT that they want to relocate Bartlett Road as part of an overpass and connect it to Oak Ave south of the current US-20.

So IDOT has already purchased the parcels along Oak Ave across from Eastview Middle School. In fact on Google Maps, you can see where the developer had already laid out the cul-de-sacs and lots before IDOT swooped in.

I have driven back there and all the streets now dead end with signs that say "Property of IDOT".

As far as funding, I dont think Bartlett has to put up anything. The only thing they were concerned about was that IDOT has to condemn and acquire a strip mall at the corner of Oak and Lake Street. it has a Dunkin/Dairy Queen and a tire store. They were going to lose some sales tax revenue.

« Reply #559 on: December 04, 2019, 08:37:42 AM »

Great lift not graveyard. Gee. It mentioned it on the pass Ed. Bartlett won't have to pay for land but Tollway  consider this an interchange and they created this policy that another party like state of locality or developer has to cover half the cost of any new exits.

Revive 755

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 10:56:10 PM
« Reply #560 on: December 04, 2019, 11:12:37 PM »

^ Did the various towns along IL 390 east of I-290 have to put up funds for the various interchanges?  I wouldn't think an extension/construction of a brand new tollway would fall under the interchange addition policy.

But this will probably go as well as the Richmond Bypass and end up dying due to a few wetlands.  :banghead:

« Reply #561 on: December 05, 2019, 09:35:48 AM »

There was some debate about that with an interchange on the 355 south extension. But I think it was about one they were not going to originally build so I think it is just for new ones.
Richmond then didn't want a 3 lane through town. With its budget they just have up. Same thing happened in Galena.

ilpt4u

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:54:22 PM
« Reply #562 on: December 05, 2019, 11:02:41 AM »

I thought ISTHA threatened, at one point, to build the I-355 South Extension with no Exits/Entrances other than I-55 and I-80, and from that, they ended up with the Local Contribution Policy for New Interchanges

If memory serves, the SW Suburban towns served by the Extension Exits got a piece of the Ramp Toll Revenue to pay back their Local Contribution for X number of years

Joe The Dragon

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:19:08 PM
« Reply #563 on: December 05, 2019, 01:17:27 PM »

There was some debate about that with an interchange on the 355 south extension. But I think it was about one they were not going to originally build so I think it is just for new ones.
Richmond then didn't want a 3 lane through town. With its budget they just have up. Same thing happened in Galena.
Richmond Bypass was planed as an free road. Maybe an tollway could have done it with an $$ wetland work around.

« Reply #564 on: December 05, 2019, 09:08:50 PM »

I think that was the case Ilp.
Sorry Joe any hope for Richmond bypass died with 53. It's sad because mchenry was suddenly interested in again.

Revive 755

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 10:56:10 PM
« Reply #565 on: December 05, 2019, 10:52:56 PM »

^ There was a separate, non-freeway proposal for the Richmond Bypass I recall dying due to wetland impacts.  The thread about it is still probably on this forum somewhere.

EDIT:  Found it; see https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10069.msg237385#msg237385.  The links don't seem to work anymore though.

EDIT 2:  I see from the study website for the IL 390/US 20 interchange that the Tollway is citing the interchange policy requirement to take the freeway to County Farm Road.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 11:01:10 PM by Revive 755 »

ET21

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:11:16 PM
« Reply #566 on: December 06, 2019, 09:10:54 AM »

EDIT 2:  I see from the study website for the IL 390/US 20 interchange that the Tollway is citing the interchange policy requirement to take the freeway to County Farm Road.

Might as well, land is pretty much ready besides some Earth moving to get the new alignments set
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: Today at 04:53:27 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #567 on: March 05, 2021, 01:57:22 PM »

Bump warning. I'm surprised this thread has been so dormant.

Anyone have some updates they could share? I've been following this project for a while, just in my spare time.

Looks like the northern interchange between the north-south road (York Road?) and I-90 will be a DDI? Is that correct? Is this road planned to be a freeway? I know everything is planned to be tolled.

Also, as I cannot quite tell from the project details, is there planned to be any direct connection to O'Hare from the western side of the airport? Or is the idea that traffic will still go around the airport and access it from the east?

Thanks guys.

JoePCool14

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 09:54:48 PM
    • My TravelMapping stats
« Reply #568 on: March 05, 2021, 02:16:43 PM »

Last time I was down by the EOE, the road was open until the eastern end at the future I-490. York Road is basically becoming I-490, so yes it will be a limited-access tollway.

The hopeful plan is also to create western O'Hare access at some point. That's about all that I can answer.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 55+ Clinches | 225+ Traveled | 7000+ Miles Logged

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Flickr
« Reply #569 on: March 05, 2021, 02:24:08 PM »

Last time I was down by the EOE, the road was open until the eastern end at the future I-490. York Road is basically becoming I-490, so yes it will be a limited-access tollway.

The hopeful plan is also to create western O'Hare access at some point. That's about all that I can answer.

Awesome, thanks for the updates.

I'll be very interested to see how that western access would work. Must be a long tunnel. Or maybe a new western terminal? Lots of possibilities.

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Flickr
« Reply #570 on: March 05, 2021, 02:30:46 PM »

Found a visual that answers my question. Looks like, in addition to new runways, the plan is for a new terminal on the western side:

NWI_Irish96

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 06:28:49 PM
    • Travel Mapping
« Reply #571 on: March 05, 2021, 02:33:51 PM »

So the segment between Busse/83 and York is open?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 59%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Flickr
« Reply #572 on: March 05, 2021, 02:48:21 PM »

Here's another visual for anyone that cares. I sifted through the thread but it doesn't seem like anyone has shared these. They're all from the project webpage:

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Flickr
« Reply #573 on: March 05, 2021, 02:50:17 PM »

So the segment between Busse/83 and York is open?

I don't think he meant that far. None of the major mapping services (Google, OSM, etc) show it open past Busse/Route 83.

edwaleni

« Reply #574 on: March 05, 2021, 03:26:03 PM »

Found a visual that answers my question. Looks like, in addition to new runways, the plan is for a new terminal on the western side:

Earlier in the thread there was a discussion on the idea that Chicago has given up on the western terminal. Some say no, some say yes.

Parking garage perhaps with a shuttle to a terminal, but being a full service terminal is not happening according to the last agreement done by Rahm Emmanuel.

Seems 9-11 has soured everyone on having any kind of underground shuttles going under all of the primary runways.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.