Osage County, Oklahoma bridgehunt

Started by bugo, December 30, 2017, 02:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Would anybody be interested in a bridgehunt/roadmeet in Osage County, Oklahoma next fall? We could hit about 10 trusses in about 100 miles and we could also explore old US 75 and areas of Bartlesville and Tulsa. I'm open as for a date. Osage County has a nice collection of trusses. It is the biggest county in Oklahoma and is bigger than Rhode Island or Delaware. Osage County is also the Osage Indian Reservation. We could stop and take pictures of the bridges and there would be a lot of backroad driving. This would likely appeal to the bridge community as well. The road and bridge communities are surprisingly segregated, and this meet would bring out attendees from both groups.

US71

Quote from: bugo on December 30, 2017, 02:27:34 AM
Would anybody be interested in a bridgehunt/roadmeet in Osage County, Oklahoma next fall? We could hit about 10 trusses in about 100 miles and we could also explore old US 75 and areas of Bartlesville and Tulsa. I'm open as for a date. Osage County has a nice collection of trusses. It is the biggest county in Oklahoma and is bigger than Rhode Island or Delaware. Osage County is also the Osage Indian Reservation. We could stop and take pictures of the bridges and there would be a lot of backroad driving. This would likely appeal to the bridge community as well. The road and bridge communities are surprisingly segregated, and this meet would bring out attendees from both groups.

If I have the time, sure.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Desert Man

Man oh man, I should come down to Tulsa not only to meet my maternal relatives, but to meet people from this forum! There's a book about Osage county OK in the 1920s: "Killing of the Flower Moon". My maternal grandfather is of Cherokee descent, as well Delaware and Shawnee mixed in when the Cherokee settled in OK in the second half of the 19th century. Nice place to drive, esp. in the summer time, Osage county is not as build up like Tulsa is. 
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

hbelkins

Certainly something to think about. I've actually been to Osage County, but only in passing via the Tisdale and Gilcrease. It would allow me a chance to drive more of US 60, which I currently have covered all the way from near the MO/AR line to its terminus in Virginia. Driving US 60 cross-country was always a childhood fantasy of mine. I was amazed that a road that went through nearby Winchester ran all the way to California.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

I'd be game.  Only ever really passed through Oklahoma without stopping much.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

US 89

Although it’s not in Osage County but in neighboring Washington County, there is a cool bridge that used to carry US 60 (and 75) over the Caney River in Bartlesville, just north of the current bridge. There’s also a sweet truss on OK 123 just north of town.

The best thing in Osage County, IMO, is the tallgrass prairie preserve, which you can drive through on dirt/gravel roads. There’s even a free range bison herd, and you drive right up next to them.

jpi

If my schedule permits I would consider coming out to Osage County for this, I think there is a couple of counties nearby I need to clinch at some point too.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cl94

Depending on timing and my schedule, I'd certainly be interested. Far too early to know if I could make it. Ton of new counties/mileage for me and the sheer number of old bridges around Oklahoma fascinates me.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

A.J. Bertin

I would very much consider this. If I go, I will likely stay in the Tulsa area. In addition to checking out all these bridges and getting some new counties, it would give me the opportunity to explore Tulsa.
-A.J. from Michigan

JMoses24

Tulsa is a very quick 2 hour Greyhound ride from me in south OKC. The Columbus, Ohio meet last September was a similar distance but conflicted with a non-roadmeet event already on my schedule.

So what I'm trying to say is, I'm definitely interested!

A.J. Bertin

I assume this meet is still on the table as far as this fall is concerned. Any idea on what date this might take place on? Will there a be poll asking potential attendees for their preference of dates?

I'm looking at possibly attending the Cleveland area meet on Sept. 29 but I would love to try and attend this meet too if possible. If I have to choose between this meet and Cleveland, I'd probably choose this one.
-A.J. from Michigan

NE2

Sounds like a good opportunity for more potential OSM mappers to see that Liberty Memorial Parkway is bullshit.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

There are no concrete plans. It is something that is being considered for next fall or winter. If there is enough interest, we can start narrowing down a date.

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on February 15, 2018, 07:16:14 PM
There are no concrete plans.

But are there truss plans?  :-D

(See what I did there?)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SSOWorld

Did the cables stay?

EDIT: Depends on the set date - but it would be of interest
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.