News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Memphis Road Meet\ checking out the new I-269 April 2019

Started by jpi, January 09, 2019, 12:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here are the dates (all Saturdays) I have in mind for this meet-

April 6
1 (12.5%)
April 13
7 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: February 08, 2019, 12:10:47 PM

jpi

Hi Everyone,
It has been a long time but I have brought this up casually at other road meets in the past year, this April marks the 7 year anniversary of one of the first road meets I put together and hosted in Memphis, TN, its now time to touch base again in Memphis with I-269 now finished and I am sure there is a few people who have not been to Memphis and would like to explore some of the city. I am going to post a survey on what would be the best dates, they will be primarly in early April since I don't have much going on with my other hobby at the time. We will meet for lunch at 11:00am in the Bartlett area of Memphis, from there we will travel to the current stub end of TN 385 on the north side of Memphis (Where it will eventually meet with future I-69) then travel east\ south to the signed part of I-269 which loops south and west into Mississippi and ends at I-55\ 69 near Tunica, follow I-69 to US 61 and travel north into Memphis proper and check out the Crump Blvd interchange with I-55, from there we may check out Sam Cooper Blvd but I am open to any and all suggestions. I have a toy show lined up in Bartlett in early March so I plan on doing some more scouting in the area that weekend.

Stay tuned for more details  :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

froggie

Don't make a decision just on me, but if I were to divert over to this after the Star Wars Run (at Disney), the only day I'd make it is Sunday, April 7th.

Worth noting that Sunday the 14th is Palm Sunday and the weekend of the 20th/21st is both Passover and Easter.

jpi

It has been a long time but I have brought this up casually at other road meets in the past year, this April marks the 7 year anniversary of one of the first road meets I put together and hosted in Memphis, TN, its now time to touch base again in Memphis with I-269 now finished and I am sure there is a few people who have not been to Memphis and would like to explore some of the city. I am going to post a survey on what would be the best dates, they will be primarly in early April since I don't have much going on with my other hobby at the time. We will meet for lunch at 11:00am in the Bartlett area of Memphis, from there we will travel to the current stub end of TN 385 on the north side of Memphis (Where it will eventually meet with future I-69) then travel east\ south to the signed part of I-269 which loops south and west into Mississippi and ends at I-55\ 69 near Tunica, follow I-69 to US 61 and travel north into Memphis proper and check out the Crump Blvd interchange with I-55, from there we may check out Sam Cooper Blvd but I am open to any and all suggestions  :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Thanks for the info Froggie, I just posted the date survey and I knew about Easter the weekend of 4/20 but forgot about Passover, will see how the voting goes.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US71

Any would likely work for me, though the 20th is cutting it close to the JH Conference.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jdb1234

March 30 and April 13 are out for me.

froggie

Moot point for me...I can only do a Sunday, not a Saturday.  But like I said, don't base a decision just on me.

hbelkins

Not sure if I could make it or not, but I voted for the 20th. I'll be getting back from my big Amtrak adventure with my brother on March 27, and then I may be attending a conference in Louisville that starts on March 31 (a Sunday). So I probably need to put as much distance as possible between that and any personal travel.

The opening of I-269 erased my clinch of all interstates in Tennessee, so this would be a prime opportunity to re-clinch.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on January 09, 2019, 12:48:10 PM
The opening of I-269 erased my clinch of all interstates in Tennessee, so this would be a prime opportunity to re-clinch.

The newest segments are in Mississippi, in case they de-clinched you in that state as well.

I took care of the newest segments last month. I'm an "unlikely" for the meet, so have not cast a vote.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

vdeane

I wouldn't be able to do April 20, but don't base it solely on me.  Right now I'm not really sure what my schedule will otherwise look like and I'm making a big push to pay back my student loans this year in any case.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

signalman

I'm considering this and I did cast a vote for April 13, but any date is likely to work for me.  I've never been to Memphis before and it would give me an excuse to finish clinching I-40 in TN (I'm missing it west of I-75).

Brandon

I'm open to all four dates, but the first two might be better for most (Palm Sunday & Easter).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

Quote from: oscar on January 09, 2019, 12:55:12 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 09, 2019, 12:48:10 PM

The newest segments are in Mississippi, in case they de-clinched you in that state as well.

Nope, I have very little interstate mileage in Mississippi other than having I-59 clinched, as well as I-22 before it became I-22.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cjk374

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Memphis is doable for me. We shall see what happens.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

SSOWorld

I will need to set priorities when traveling this year - see how it goes.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

After being one of the proponent for a Memphis meet, my availability for this is now questionable at best. Reason being, I'm going to be in Memphis in two weeks (for a music festival). So, I'll get my last piece of I-269 clinched and sight-see the other roads I want on this trip upcoming.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alps

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on January 10, 2019, 02:56:21 PM
After being one of the proponent for a Memphis meet, my availability for this is now questionable at best. Reason being, I'm going to be in Memphis in two weeks (for a music festival). So, I'll get my last piece of I-269 clinched and sight-see the other roads I want on this trip upcoming.

C'mon, man!

A.J. Bertin

I totally forgot, Jason, that you were thinking of hosting another Memphis meet this year. I voted for March 30, but if I decide to go, I could probably make any of the dates work... but less likely so if it's on April 20 since the 21st is Easter Sunday. (I don't usually do much to celebrate Easter but who knows... my husband or my parents might decide to do something special for Easter. It's unlikely though.)

Right now I'd give myself about at least a 75 percent chance of making it. Normally I'm not too fond of the idea of revisiting the same city for a road meet when I had gone to that same city before, but I am very much open to making an exception in this case because I enjoy your meets and because I certainly wouldn't mind experiencing Memphis again. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

MikeTheActuary

Just an observation: There are still four MemFix4 closures to be scheduled in the coming months.

I haven't heard when they might be....but of the options proposed, the 20th (Easter weekend) is the one weekend that would definitely not see a MemFix closure.

(I will actually be in Memphis on the 20th...but I suspect that getting my father to/from choir at church will preclude joining in.)

kevinb1994

Keeping tabs on this one for now.

A good area to have lunch at a restaurant in and around Bartlett TN would be its suburb of Wolfchase, where there is a mall (the Wolfchase Galleria, the largest in the Greater Memphis area) that lost its Sears at the end of last year (2018).

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 10, 2019, 07:18:37 PMA good area to have lunch at a restaurant in and around Bartlett TN would be its suburb of Wolfchase, where there is a mall (the Wolfchase Galleria, the largest in the Greater Memphis area) that lost its Sears at the end of last year (2018).

For better or worse, the immediate Wolfchase area is mostly chain restaurants.  There's a Gus' near Stage (US64) & Germantown that offers regional food that isn't BBQ.  There's a nice Vietnamese place that I'm partial to on US64 just east of I-40, but the seating there is not good for groups.

The only place I've been to recently in Bartlett proper is the Panda Buffet - I think it's better-than-decent semi-Americanized Chinese buffet, and my father is (and my later mother was) fond of it.

I know that there's BBQ in Bartlett proper...but as a child of Midtown, I never had a need to go quite that far.  There is a Corky's on Germantown Parkway a couple miles south of I-40 -- perhaps a little overrated, but an option for entertaining groups from out of town with the local headline cuisine.

And really, there's one of almost anything, local and chain, along Germantown Parkway between I-40 and Walnut Grove.

US71

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on January 10, 2019, 08:52:11 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 10, 2019, 07:18:37 PMA good area to have lunch at a restaurant in and around Bartlett TN would be its suburb of Wolfchase, where there is a mall (the Wolfchase Galleria, the largest in the Greater Memphis area) that lost its Sears at the end of last year (2018).

For better or worse, the immediate Wolfchase area is mostly chain restaurants.  There's a Gus' near Stage (US64) & Germantown that offers regional food that isn't BBQ.  There's a nice Vietnamese place that I'm partial to on US64 just east of I-40, but the seating there is not good for groups.

The only place I've been to recently in Bartlett proper is the Panda Buffet - I think it's better-than-decent semi-Americanized Chinese buffet, and my father is (and my later mother was) fond of it.

I know that there's BBQ in Bartlett proper...but as a child of Midtown, I never had a need to go quite that far.  There is a Corky's on Germantown Parkway a couple miles south of I-40 -- perhaps a little overrated, but an option for entertaining groups from out of town with the local headline cuisine.

And really, there's one of almost anything, local and chain, along Germantown Parkway between I-40 and Walnut Grove.

I was in the area a couple months ago. Seems like I saw a sub place, but can't remember the details.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kevinb1994

Corky's could work but Jason said that lunch would be in Bartlett, not Cordova.

I'm not sure having the meet lunch at a buffet could work, but we'll see.

I should note that the Gus' is right in front of the hotel I just looked at! What a coincidence...

kevinb1994

Quote from: US71 on January 10, 2019, 09:54:21 PM

I was in the area a couple months ago. Seems like I saw a sub place, but can't remember the details.

You're probably thinking of Lenny's.

TheHighwayMan3561

I'm probably out for this meet because of our Key West trip in April.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.