News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Missing users

Started by snowc, March 03, 2022, 10:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowc

Speaking of deaths, Any word yet of HB Elkins?
Has not logged on since the 28th and theres a message at the bottom of the profile picture that says
Quoteit is well with my soul
Has he passed away or he isnt active?

jlam

Quote from: snowc on March 03, 2022, 10:57:05 AM
Has not logged on since the 28th and theres a message at the bottom of the profile picture that says
It is probably just a period of inactivity. That quote is from many popular hymns.

Mapmikey

Quote from: jlam on March 03, 2022, 11:02:05 AM
It is probably just a period of inactivity. That quote is from many popular hymns.

He has been using that quote for about 5 years

snowc

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 03, 2022, 11:19:22 AM

Thanks for clearing the air! Phew! I thought he passed away.  :paranoid:

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: snowc on March 03, 2022, 11:25:09 AM

Because he hadn't logged on in 3 days?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hotdogPi

Years ago, I once made the same comment about agentsteel53 with a 9-day gap (this was before he left for good), but I thought he was banned at that time, not dead.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

snowc

Quote from: 1 on March 03, 2022, 11:33:03 AM
Years ago, I once made the same comment about agentsteel53 with a 9-day gap (this was before he left for good), but I thought he was banned at that time, not dead.
Thanks everyone. Cryptic messages (regarding death and hymns) are the key to detectives!  :nod: :spin:

abefroman329

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 03, 2022, 11:31:53 AM

He hasn't posted in almost a week, and this is one of his most recent posts.

snowc

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 03, 2022, 11:53:19 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on March 03, 2022, 11:31:53 AM

Yep.  :-(

webny99

Did you mean to link to the last post in that thread instead of the first?

abefroman329

Quote from: webny99 on March 03, 2022, 12:00:51 PM

Yep.  I also didn't mean for the hyperlink to span several words, so I fixed that, too.

webny99

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 03, 2022, 12:03:04 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 03, 2022, 12:00:51 PM

Yep.  I also didn't mean for the hyperlink to span several words, so I fixed that, too.

If you click on the thread title at the top of the post you want to link to, it will give you a direct link to that particular post.

Max Rockatansky

Geeze, if I'm not on here for a couple days are you guys going to think I'm dead also?  I always figured Jake alone would go to show most people have lives outside this forum.

Also, am I alone in thinking this is tacky that snowc replied to this thread which involved the actual death of the namesake forum member?

ran4sh

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 03, 2022, 01:11:30 PM
Geeze, if I'm not on here for a couple days are you guys going to think I'm dead also?  I always figured Jake alone would go to show most people have lives outside this forum.

Also, am I alone in thinking this is tacky that snowc replied to this thread which involved the actual death of the namesake forum member?

I can't answer your first question (No from me but who knows what others are going to think), but my answer to your 2nd question is no.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Scott5114

For what it's worth, since he's been mentioned, Jake Bear is alive and well. I talk to him on a daily basis, actually.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 03, 2022, 01:45:34 PM
For what it's worth, since he's been mentioned, Jake Bear is alive and well. I talk to him on a daily basis, actually.

I still buy signs from Jake, I've known him since some time around 2010.  I had no idea he was a forum member here until I joined in 2016.  He was apparently already gone from here by then.

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 03, 2022, 01:47:10 PM

I still buy signs from Jake, I've known him since some time around 2010.  I had no idea he was a forum member here until I joined in 2016.  He was apparently already gone from here by then.

That's awesome. I've been helping him out with his sign business the last few months, so if you've bought one recently it might have been one I worked on. We're in the process of getting his website (https://signsbyjake.com) set up so that he doesn't have to go through eBay/Etsy for everything.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 03, 2022, 01:53:34 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 03, 2022, 01:47:10 PM

That's awesome. I've been helping him out with his sign business the last few months, so if you've bought one recently it might have been one I worked on. We're in the process of getting his website (https://signsbyjake.com) set up so that he doesn't have to go through eBay/Etsy for everything.

I remember buying a bunch of signs off Jake when I lived in Arizona.  I recall that I was looking for a colored US Route shield and he had this US 80:

https://flic.kr/p/SxYTd3

I want to say that I was introduced to Jake through someone in the license plate collecting crowd?  I have bought a lot of Jake's newer stuff over the years.  Usually I tend to buy Jake's replicas if I think that is little to no chance I'll find a real shield for something I want for my garage. 

I guess that might also illustrate by proxy that I didn't just appear out of the ether circa 2016 in the road world.  I guess that I just missed this forum being a thing for several years or just was working on the road too much to invest time.  I want to say that I registered an account at one point but posted very little.

hbelkins

I'm very much alive, I've just been battling a sinus infection from Louisville and haven't feel like forum-ing too much.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SkyPesos

Gee I wonder what will happen here if by any chance, I haven't logged on for more than 5 days. Really thought that no one would care or assumed that I'm taking a break, but I've been proved wrong.

tolbs17

It makes me wonder what happened to Beltway? He seemed like a good guy with nice proposals and such

SectorZ

Quote from: hbelkins on March 03, 2022, 02:13:15 PM
I'm very much alive, I've just been battling a sinus infection from Louisville and haven't feel like forum-ing too much.

Hope you get well soon HB. Sinus infections suck, it's like the only physical illness I ever get so I know the aggravation.

CoreySamson

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 03, 2022, 03:14:45 PM
It makes me wonder what happened to Beltway? He seemed like a good guy with nice proposals and such
Might be wrong on this, but I believe he left the forum because he didn't like the moderation. I've heard secondhand here that he's on Facebook.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

1995hoo

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 03, 2022, 03:14:45 PM

That came up in the "Favorite Forum Quotes" thread in response, interestingly enough, to a comment you made:

Quote from: hbelkins on July 12, 2021, 11:34:09 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 12, 2021, 10:04:33 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 12, 2021, 07:40:47 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 11, 2021, 09:21:14 PM
sprjus4 and Beltway's posts in the Virginia and the I-81 threads.

:rofl:
Oh boy I remember that... the I-87 thread lol! What happened to Beltway?

He got tired of the heavy-handed moderation (which, he felt, came in part because of his political beliefs) and decided it wasn't worth his time to post here anymore.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Sorry, I'm dead. Haven't posted in way too many hours.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.