News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The main problem with the Hillside Strangler is.......

Started by I-39, June 03, 2015, 04:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobsini2

Quote from: tribar on June 07, 2015, 08:05:08 PM

Quote from: I-39 on June 07, 2015, 07:30:57 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on June 07, 2015, 07:18:11 PM
Quote from: I-39 on June 07, 2015, 06:36:42 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on June 07, 2015, 06:23:58 PM
Not to mention if you get rid of the I-290 extension between I-294 and I-355 how many MORE cars would be added to the Kennedy and NW Tollway. That really is a bad thought I-39.

Did you not read my post about the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway being an alternative to building the Eisenhower extension? If you build the west bypass and the portion between the present day I-290 and the west side of O'Hare, then that would be used for traffic. It's only a little bit north of the current Eisenhower extension. This would allow traffic heading that way to get on further north, alleviating the congestion at the Hillside Strangler.

Yes. So more traffic on 294 AND the Kennedy to get to the EOE is ok with you? That's what would happen in reality. Not to mention the added traffic on Irving Park, Higgins, and North Ave to avoid the congested interstates.

Bad idea.

Add a fifth lane on I-294 between I-290 and the EOWA and it would not be much of a problem. It's not that far of a distance.

There would still be more traffic on the Kennedy. 

Your logic is quite idiotic.
Bingo!  :thumbsup:
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

I-39

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 07, 2015, 08:18:03 PM
Quote from: tribar on June 07, 2015, 08:05:08 PM

Not to mention if you get rid of the I-290 extension between I-294 and I-355 how many MORE cars would be added to the Kennedy and NW Tollway. That really is a bad thought I-39.

Did you not read my post about the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway being an alternative to building the Eisenhower extension? If you build the west bypass and the portion between the present day I-290 and the west side of O'Hare, then that would be used for traffic. It's only a little bit north of the current Eisenhower extension. This would allow traffic heading that way to get on further north, alleviating the congestion at the Hillside Strangler.

Yes. So more traffic on 294 AND the Kennedy to get to the EOE is ok with you? That's what would happen in reality. Not to mention the added traffic on Irving Park, Higgins, and North Ave to avoid the congested interstates.

Bad idea.

Add a fifth lane on I-294 between I-290 and the EOWA and it would not be much of a problem. It's not that far of a distance.

There would still be more traffic on the Kennedy. 

Your logic is quite idiotic.
Bingo!  :thumbsup:

How? What would change? If I am heading west on I-290, how would taking I-294 to the EOWA be much different than the Eisenhower extension?

NWI_Irish96

The main problem with the Hillside Strangler is the extremely large number of people who are unable or unwilling to utilize public transportation.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

johndoe780

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 08, 2015, 08:57:12 AM
The main problem with the Hillside Strangler is the extremely large number of people who are unable or unwilling to utilize public transportation.

I find it to be the idiots who live in Oak Park, Forest Park, etc. who jump on 290 and get off the next exit.

If it was up to me, close all exits from Mannheim to Damen ave.

froggie

QuoteI find it to be the idiots who live in Oak Park, Forest Park, etc. who jump on 290 and get off the next exit.

Which is largely the reason why the Eisenhower was one of the first freeways in the country to get ramp meters...

Joe The Dragon

Bad idea.

In the works planing to start 2016 build out around 2020 same time as EOWA. The interchanges at I-88 / I-290 and I-55 need changes.

ET21

Quote from: I-39 on June 05, 2015, 06:24:54 PM
Quote from: ET21 on June 05, 2015, 12:07:18 PM
And of course the interchange would be better if the extension didn't exist. 290 would just become 88 and vice versa, with stub ramps to N/S 294. However, you'd lose a nice route into the western and northwestern suburbs. Just think how Schaumburg and Woodfield would be without 290. It's bad now with the massive interstate lol

That's where the EOWA would step in. As I stated in the first post, The Elgin-O'Hare Expressway could have be an alternative to building the Eisenhower extension. It is not that far north from the extension, and it would effectively serve the same purpose. Traffic would get on the EOWA several miles north of the Hillside Strangler, eliminating a bottleneck.

The Interstate would still exist in Schaumburg, as what is now I-290 between I-90 and the I-355 split off already existed before the Eisenhower extension was constructed.

So if we went with your plan, we would need to consider all that I-290 extension traffic being shunted onto an already heavily traversed  294 or as hobsini said, the already bad Kennedy and NW tollway and the EOWA.  :clap: :clap:

What you should do is create a map to visualize your "vision" of the Hillside
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Rick Powell

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 08, 2015, 08:57:12 AM

From Forest Park on, the area is a transit-rich environment, but ridership traffic drops off on the rapid transit on the west past the UIC complex.  For reverse commuters, a transit trip often takes 2-3 times what a trip in a car would take due to the multiple transfers and waiting needed.  I have conscientiously tried to use transit in my business in the area, and sometimes it works for me, and sometimes not.  I find most people using the Ike are doing it because there is just not another good or feasible solution for them, although there are some people who feel the need to squeeze into a parking space downtown when Metra would've gotten them there just the same and with less hassle and cost.

HandsomeRob

I've always wanted a flyover from the northbound Tri-State onto westbound I-290. I hate that loop ramp.

But I suppose when the new O'Hare bypass is built I can just use that instead.

Brandon

Quote from: HandsomeRob on June 11, 2015, 11:43:39 AM
I've always wanted a flyover from the northbound Tri-State onto westbound I-290. I hate that loop ramp.

Much agreed, and it is needed even with the O'Hare Bypass.  If I'm going to Elmhurst, I'll exit at Roosevelt and go up York Road instead.  It's faster some days.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Revive 755

I'll third the need for a flyover from the NB Tri-State to WB I-290, but I think the current loop might work a tiny amount better if there was another exit off the NB Tri-State between WB I-290 and the Balmoral Exit.  Perhaps to North Avenue or one to Grand Avenue.  Even when I-490 is completed, there will still be a large gap in access to the Tri-State between I-290 and Franklin Avenue.

ET21

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 11, 2015, 05:29:14 PM
I'll third the need for a flyover from the NB Tri-State to WB I-290, but I think the current loop might work a tiny amount better if there was another exit off the NB Tri-State between WB I-290 and the Balmoral Exit.  Perhaps to North Avenue or one to Grand Avenue.  Even when I-490 is completed, there will still be a large gap in access to the Tri-State between I-290 and Franklin Avenue.

I'll fourth the flyover and second another exit at North Ave
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Stratuscaster

hobsini2

While we are at it, I have always thought that SB 294 to WB 88 and EB 290 to SB 294 ramps should be moved. So this would be my fix.

Green is the Tollway.
Blue is the Freeway.
Gray is major roads.
Red is closure of old ramps.
Orange is the new ramps.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Brandon

^^ I very much like.  I'd make a few modifications:

1. Straighten out the WB 290 to NB 294 ramp as you now have the room.
2. Change the St Charles Rd exit on 290 to a SPUI.  Those loops are nothing but trouble there.
3. With the room from the SPUI, ramps could be added for SB 294 to St Charles Rd and St Charles Rd to NB 294.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Joe The Dragon

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Brandon on June 14, 2015, 06:03:31 PM

2. Change the St Charles Rd exit on 290 to a SPUI.  Those loops are nothing but trouble there.
3. With the room from the SPUI, ramps could be added for SB 294 to St Charles Rd and St Charles Rd to NB 294.
The new ramp from I-88 to I-290 flyover is not needed the old ramp can be used

hobsini2

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on June 14, 2015, 07:32:47 PM
Quote from: Brandon on June 14, 2015, 06:03:31 PM

The new ramp from I-88 to I-290 flyover is not needed the old ramp can be used
Joe:
The traffic from 88 EBto 290 WBcurrently uses the loop from NB 294 to 290 WB. This eliminates that loop ramp altogether.

Brandon:
I considered that but having the current configuration would not affect traffic to be any worse. And adding a exit on 294 for St Charles Rd would have the same kind congestion problem that's on Highland Ave at Butterfield and I-88 with those series of lights so close.

Joe The Dragon

The link from I-88 to I-294 can have the old one tie into the new flyover.

hobsini2

Why? All you are doing is adding more construction to a current flow that works well and is already marked for 2 lanes. The problem is not the EB 88 to NB 294 ramp.

Joe The Dragon

dzlsabe

The main problem is the "missing link" in I-90, a sixteen mile flyover tollway bridge from Hillside to the Skyway in Englewood. :pan:
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Stratuscaster

Quote from: dzlsabe on October 24, 2015, 02:12:54 PM
The main problem is the "missing link" in I-90, a sixteen mile tollway bridge from Hillside to the Skyway in Englewood.
Explain, please - since I-90 doesn't exist in Hillside anymore.

dzlsabe

Google Map Chicago. You can see it from space.  :confused: The gist of it...hold your right hand so that your index finger and thumb are 90*. The tip of your index is Hillside (A), your hand downtown (C), your thumb tip, the Skyway (B). Thats the 22 miles it takes today. The distance of the hypotenuse is just sixteen miles, a six mile shortcut. Hopefully in ten years or so that could be a reality. Just doing that relieves the Strangler, bypasses the Ike, the Byrne Circle and the Ryan, three major-league bottlenecks. And gives potential Kennedy users an option. Then theres a FREE FOUR MILE BONUS  :spin: because it takes out the curvature of the Kennedy and the Tri-State. This is the straighest line between Schaumburg and Gary, a SIXTY plus trip today, in the future could be FIFTY! :clap:
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Stratuscaster

I opened up Google Maps. My starting point is just north of the I-90/I-39 junction in Rockford. My ending point is on I-90, just east of the I-80/90/94 junction.

I-90/I-290/I-294/I-94/I-90: 1:51, 118 miles
I-90/I-290/I-355/I-80/I-90: 1:58, 131 miles
I-39/I-88/I-294/I-94/I-90: 1:59, 137 miles
I-39/I-88/I-355/I-80/I-90: 2:01, 140 miles
I-90/I-290/I-90: 2:08, 119 miles
I-90 alone: 2:19, 113 miles

For traffic heading east past Chicago, the known problem is Chicago itself. Making use of the existing bypasses around the city is what such traffic uses today. The shortest route time-wise saves up to 30 minutes while only adding 5 miles.

I believe that the local traffic with Chicago as it's destination is the source of most of the traffic and delays, not the Interstate traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.