News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

New Contract for Turnpike (and Parkway) toll takers

QuoteOn Tuesday, Turnpike Authority commissioners approved new contacts covering toll collectors and two other unions, this time without any predictions about when the last cash toll would be handed to a person.

AET conversion is included in the Turnpike Authority's 10 year plan. Given that its two neighboring toll authorities (NYSTA and PTC) are full steam ahead on AET already, NJ hopefully will be full bore on its own conversion before another contract is needed.

cpzilliacus

This is what I like about the New Jersey Turnpike Authority.  They do not fool around with lots and lots of process when it comes to Turnpike improvements.  For example, approval to widen the Turnpike from Exits 1 to 4 (defined as starting at the NJ-49 bridge in the south at milepost 0.0) was only recently secured, and they are already looking for consultant support to help get it going.

Order for Professional Services No. T3839 New Jersey Turnpike Interchange 1 to 4 Widening Program (PDF)
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

vdeane

Judging by today's roadwaywiz live drive, it looks like I-95 is now pervasively signed on the northbound pull-through signs.  Finally - it's about time!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

famartin

Quote from: vdeane on November 29, 2020, 09:33:59 PM
Judging by today's roadwaywiz live drive, it looks like I-95 is now pervasively signed on the northbound pull-through signs.  Finally - it's about time!
Also southbound, except at 8A.

roadman65

If NJTA goes to AET, are the tolling stations going to be then on the mainline in between each interchange charging only for travel between each exit gap?

Seems to have the same effect as each ramp as FL 23 in Jacksonville uses that particular way to charge you by traveling between all exit ramps to make it all fair.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on December 01, 2020, 10:43:50 AM
If NJTA goes to AET, are the tolling stations going to be then on the mainline in between each interchange charging only for travel between each exit gap?

Seems to have the same effect as each ramp as FL 23 in Jacksonville uses that particular way to charge you by traveling between all exit ramps to make it all fair.

I cannot speak to what the NJTA has planned for the Turnpike and the Parkway, but I do know that toll roads designed from the ground up to be all-electronic toll collection (407 ETR and MD-200 and others) charge all traffic, and there are few or no "free" sections.  407 ETR does it with gantries across the entrance and exit ramps for the most part (there are mainline gantries near terminii).  MD-200 has a gantry between each interchange.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

BrianP

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 01, 2020, 11:58:51 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 01, 2020, 10:43:50 AM

I cannot speak to what the NJTA has planned for the Turnpike and the Parkway, but I do know that toll roads designed from the ground up to be all-electronic toll collection (407 ETR and MD-200 and others) charge all traffic, and there are few or no "free" sections.  407 ETR does it with gantries across the entrance and exit ramps for the most part (there are mainline gantries near terminii).  MD-200 has a gantry between each interchange.
One reason to avoid mainline toll gantries is what happened with MD 200. It had some mainline closures due to upgrades to the electronic tolling equipment. 
https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2020/02/story-for-tomorrow-am-icc-closures-to-continue-into-spring/
That's not too bad for that lightly used toll road.  But I think it would be a deal breaker for the heavily traveled toll roads like the NJTPK.

NJRoadfan

The NJTP doesn't have to change gantry configurations as its already a closed ticket system. They could change the GSP around though. The current one-way tolling setup lands up with long stretches of "free" roadway... or you get hit with a hefty toll depending on your entry and exit. Given that they want to complete ramps on all the remaining partial interchanges (they were built that way to force people thru mainline plazas), don't be surprised if they add new ETC tolling points.

jeffandnicole

For the NJ Turnpike, it would make sense for them to leave the AET locations at the toll plazas.  The infrastructure is already there, and the only significant modifications are to knocking down the existing toll plazas, building free-standing gantries across the roadway and closing off open medians.

Buildings in the middle of the highway, such as at Interchanges 1 and 16E/18E, may even remain and can be used as substations. 

I don't think gantries across the roadway is a deal-breaker though.  While the road is heavily travelled, it's much more lightly travelled overnight.  If they can manage to rebuild miles of roadway due to widening projects and replace scores of VMSs every 3 miles, they can close occasionally lanes or sections if necessary to replace equipment once in a great while without much issue. From Exits 1 - 7, it's easy to detour traffic to 295, which is done relatively often in the case of serious accidents or maintenance issues.  From Exit 6 - 14, it's even easier to do so because of the dual-dual roadway.

The GS Parkway is interesting though.  When someone can go from Atlantic City to LBI and never pay a toll, that's undoubtfully something that would be on the NJTA's mind to rectify.  I've been outspoken in the lack of need to do two-way tolling on 95 and the CBB in Maryland because there's very few alternatives that motorists would travel significant distances for to avoid a toll.  Some areas of the Parkway are different, where one can easily exit or enter at a location just a few miles away to avoid a toll.   However, I don't see them going full mainline gantry or full ramp gantry, because there are so many entry/exit points on the highway.  I would see them maintaining a hybrid approach to their system, but filling in some gaps with one-way tolling, or maybe go two-way tolling where only one-way tolling exists now.

lstone19

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 01, 2020, 02:13:40 PM
The NJTP doesn't have to change gantry configurations as its already a closed ticket system.

But the Mass Pike was also a closed system (west of Route 128) but they decided to go with all mainline gantries. So never think that a toll road will do what's logical.

jwags

Quote from: lstone19 on December 01, 2020, 03:01:54 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 01, 2020, 02:13:40 PM
The NJTP doesn't have to change gantry configurations as its already a closed ticket system.

But the Mass Pike was also a closed system (west of Route 128) but they decided to go with all mainline gantries. So never think that a toll road will do what's logical.

The Mass Pike did introduce some free zones around closely spaced interchanges. This is in contrast to the NYS Thruway that has some mainline gantries that charge less than 15 cents.

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 01, 2020, 02:59:37 PM
For the NJ Turnpike, it would make sense for them to leave the AET locations at the toll plazas.  The infrastructure is already there, and the only significant modifications are to knocking down the existing toll plazas, building free-standing gantries across the roadway and closing off open medians.

Buildings in the middle of the highway, such as at Interchanges 1 and 16E/18E, may even remain and can be used as substations. 

I don't think gantries across the roadway is a deal-breaker though.  While the road is heavily travelled, it's much more lightly travelled overnight.  If they can manage to rebuild miles of roadway due to widening projects and replace scores of VMSs every 3 miles, they can close occasionally lanes or sections if necessary to replace equipment once in a great while without much issue. From Exits 1 - 7, it's easy to detour traffic to 295, which is done relatively often in the case of serious accidents or maintenance issues.  From Exit 6 - 14, it's even easier to do so because of the dual-dual roadway.

The GS Parkway is interesting though.  When someone can go from Atlantic City to LBI and never pay a toll, that's undoubtfully something that would be on the NJTA's mind to rectify.  I've been outspoken in the lack of need to do two-way tolling on 95 and the CBB in Maryland because there's very few alternatives that motorists would travel significant distances for to avoid a toll.  Some areas of the Parkway are different, where one can easily exit or enter at a location just a few miles away to avoid a toll.   However, I don't see them going full mainline gantry or full ramp gantry, because there are so many entry/exit points on the highway.  I would see them maintaining a hybrid approach to their system, but filling in some gaps with one-way tolling, or maybe go two-way tolling where only one-way tolling exists now.

Either way works.  Mainline or ramps in the case of the Turnpike here. 

In case of restoring two way tolling on the GSP, look at the Verrazano Bridge.  They went back, but with the Great Egg Bridge, they can keep it two ways due to no other free way around it all in the area.  The Beesly Point Bridge is history and the Ocean City toll bridge is tolled as well and most likely the same way of travel.

The NJTA in making the ramp tolls go away is not saving anything as the same amount (if more ) gantries would be needed. 

Sheryl Crowe

lstone19

I've always found the free sections of the GSP to be interesting. Some I understood well, some I think I know why they're there, and others make no sense.

There are, as I think most people know, the pre-existing sections of road that were incorporated into the GSP and, at least back in the 1970's when I had a summer job with NJDOT, were maintaining by NJDOT rather than the GSP. Those are Exits/MPs 9 to 12, 80 to 83, and 129 to 140. I suspect the bridge over the Mullica River is free because US 9 was rerouted over it. And I suspect there are some free possibilities using ramps because the Parkway decided it just wasn't worth the cost of installing toll collection equipment for lightly used exits.

But then there are the mysteries. Why is there no toll after US 9 leaves after the Mullica River Bridge all the way to just beyond Atlantic City? And why, for the southern nine miles, do you pay a ramp toll if you go between 0 and 4 but nothing else for any travel between the 0 and the start of the old NJDOT section at MP 9?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on December 01, 2020, 03:15:48 PM

In case of restoring two way tolling on the GSP, look at the Verrazano Bridge.  They went back, but with the Great Egg Bridge, they can keep it two ways due to no other free way around it all in the area.  The Beesly Point Bridge is history and the Ocean City toll bridge is tolled as well and most likely the same way of travel.

I think you meant...

The Great Egg Harbor bridge is tolled 1 way.  It's tolled Southbound Only.  (However, no Express EZ Pass lanes here due to the curvature in the roadway).

The Beasley Bridge charged a toll anyway.  When the bridge shut down, I think it was $1 each way, or just one way, but either way there was a toll charged, and round trip may have been more expensive than taking the GSP.  Many people at the time complained that the Parkway (Turnpike Authority) was shutting down the bridge because the Parkway wanted to take away the free option.  Clearly they were outing themselves as people that didn't have a clue.

I think you meant the Ocean City-Longport Toll Bridge, which is operated by Cape May County.  Yes, it's tolled inbound into Ocean City.  If you look at the GSV though, they interestingly did place an EZ Pass reader and a camera on the free side, so one would think they are thinking into the future when they started accepting EZ Pass not too long ago.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: lstone19 on December 01, 2020, 03:34:55 PM
But then there are the mysteries. Why is there no toll after US 9 leaves after the Mullica River Bridge all the way to just beyond Atlantic City? And why, for the southern nine miles, do you pay a ramp toll if you go between 0 and 4 but nothing else for any travel between the 0 and the start of the old NJDOT section at MP 9?

Starting from Cape May, you can make it up to Exit 13 (Stone Harbor/Avalon) without paying a toll, and technically Sea Isle City at Exit 17 if you make the u-turn at the service plaza in the median.  Going South, you can go all the way from Interchange 25 to Cape May without paying a toll, and all exits are free.

Some can be explained when they did away with the two way tolling just north of Sea Isle.  I guess they estimated enough people wouldn't bother taking 55 and 47 - which is the only other significant way of travel for those that frequent the Cape May County area from the Philly area, to worry about tolling both ways.

The tolls at Exit 4 were always a head scratcher.  US 9 is such an easy detour; yet NJDOT never had to widen or otherwise increase throughput on US 9 to accommodate people who would rather travel free than pay the toll.

roadman65

I've always found the free sections of the GSP to be interesting. Some I understood well, some I think I know why they're there, and others make no sense.

There are, as I think most people know, the pre-existing sections of road that were incorporated into the GSP and, at least back in the 1970's when I had a summer job with NJDOT, were maintaining by NJDOT rather than the GSP. Those are Exits/MPs 9 to 12, 80 to 83, and 129 to 140. I suspect the bridge over the Mullica River is free because US 9 was rerouted over it. And I suspect there are some free possibilities using ramps because the Parkway decided it just wasn't worth the cost of installing toll collection equipment for lightly used exits.

Then Exit 116 for the Arts Center is free. If you live in Aberdeen or Keyport you can go to an event there and pay no toll. Heck Exit 120 traffic to and from The Arts Center are also Toll Less.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 01, 2020, 03:55:23 PM

Starting from Cape May, you can make it up to Exit 13 (Stone Harbor/Avalon) without paying a toll, and technically Sea Isle City at Exit 17 if you make the u-turn at the service plaza in the median.  Going South, you can go all the way from Interchange 25 to Cape May without paying a toll, and all exits are free.

Some can be explained when they did away with the two way tolling just north of Sea Isle.  I guess they estimated enough people wouldn't bother taking 55 and 47 - which is the only other significant way of travel for those that frequent the Cape May County area from the Philly area, to worry about tolling both ways.

The tolls at Exit 4 were always a head scratcher.  US 9 is such an easy detour; yet NJDOT never had to widen or otherwise increase throughput on US 9 to accommodate people who would rather travel free than pay the toll.

I never understood why they didn't have tolls on the ramps to 47 from the SB Parkway or onto the NB Parkway from 47 WB. There's a ton of traffic headed to and from Wildwood all the time. Same as to why they didn't build a final barrier before Exit 0. But it's been this way since the road was built.

bzakharin

I wonder if when the Turnpike goes all AET they will build proper freeway to freeway interchanges with I-195, I-287, the Parkway, etc. The exit 10 almost circle is probably the most embarrassing, especially since it was going to be the thru movement for I-95 had the Somerset Freeway not been cancelled. 

Ketchup99

Was it? I thought I-95 was meant to be routed along I-287 to Port Chester.

famartin

Quote from: Ketchup99 on December 02, 2020, 10:28:41 PM

That was never the plan. An older plan had an alignment somewhere between the turnpike and parkway once, but that was discarded early on. Then it was the turnpike to 287 to Somerset Freeway.

Ketchup99

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on December 02, 2020, 07:20:07 PM
I wonder if when the Turnpike goes all AET they will build proper freeway to freeway interchanges with I-195, I-287, the Parkway, etc. The exit 10 almost circle is probably the most embarrassing, especially since it was going to be the thru movement for I-95 had the Somerset Freeway not been cancelled. 

Nope, as none of the above was included in the overall capital plan. And especially at 287 & the GSP, there's no real room to do it anyway.

famartin

Quote from: Ketchup99 on December 02, 2020, 10:33:06 PM
Quote from: famartin on December 02, 2020, 10:30:25 PM
Quote from: Ketchup99 on December 02, 2020, 10:28:41 PM

That was never the plan. An older plan had an alignment somewhere between the turnpike and parkway once, but that was discarded early on. Then it was the turnpike to 287 to Somerset Freeway.
Something like this?
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Philadelphia/New+York/@40.3261735,-74.9518389,8.7z/data=!4m24!4m23!1m15!1m1!1s0x89c6b7d8d4b54beb:0x89f514d88c3e58c1!2m2!1d-75.1652215!2d39.9525839!3m4!1m2!1d-74.6320252!2d40.5158258!3s0x89c3ea4e58756465:0xdb3a0770de7d308e!3m4!1m2!1d-74.4063391!2d40.5495974!3s0x89c3b81d993f5a61:0x79622782b94fa15e!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c24fa5d33f083b:0xc80b8f06e177fe62!2m2!1d-74.0059728!2d40.7127753!3e0 (Obviously the route isn't exactly right because the freeway hasn't been built)
No, here it is (I took this from the Somerset Freeway DEIS and enhanced it a little)

dgolub

Quote from: famartin on November 29, 2020, 09:40:05 PM
Yep, looks like "THRU TRAFFIC" is gone.  I'll need to find an excuse to take a trip down in that direction some time in the spring when the pandemic situation is (hopefully) better and get some new pictures.

famartin

Quote from: dgolub on December 05, 2020, 08:49:04 AM
Quote from: famartin on November 29, 2020, 09:40:05 PM
Yep, looks like "THRU TRAFFIC" is gone.  I'll need to find an excuse to take a trip down in that direction some time in the spring when the pandemic situation is (hopefully) better and get some new pictures.

The pandemic hasn't stopped me all year.  I visited NJ in April, and I roamed NJ and MD like a mad man starting in May. Kept up til mid November, mainly stopping because I prefer my road pictures to have more colors than just gray and brown in the background. But I'll be visiting NJ monthly just like always all winter, pandemic and travel restrictions be damned.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.