News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Wow and they left out space between words to get it all in!  By the time you read that you will miss New York City.   

I know he was a NY Governor, but why not just let it be Mario Cuomo or just Cuomo Bridge, as other people have shortened names to fit on a guide.  Hey look at George Washington Bridge.  Most signs in NY say "Geo Wash Br" or in NJ they read "G. Washington Br."
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: roadman65 on December 30, 2020, 09:50:23 PM
I know he was a NY Governor, but why not just let it be Mario Cuomo or just Cuomo Bridge, as other people have shortened names to fit on a guide. 
I think if they shortened it to "Cuomo Bridge" the allegations that Andrew was really naming it for his own vanity would be too undeniable (as if everyone didn't hate the change as it is).

roadman65

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on December 30, 2020, 10:02:38 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 30, 2020, 09:50:23 PM
I know he was a NY Governor, but why not just let it be Mario Cuomo or just Cuomo Bridge, as other people have shortened names to fit on a guide. 
I think if they shortened it to "Cuomo Bridge" the allegations that Andrew was really naming it for his own vanity would be too undeniable (as if everyone didn't hate the change as it is).

M. Cuomo would work as well.  I see the ambiguity in though and right now politics is a nasty game more than ever.  Now we have love them or hate them depending what perspective you look at now and I am sure many New Yorkers do not like the change like they did other renames as well. 

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

All of the signs in this thread lately show SOUTH [87 Thruway] and then 287. The 287 is intentionally not grouped with SOUTH, they just failed to make it EAST for some reason.

shadyjay

Around the fall of 2018, I did see a VMS on the Thruway SB that said "GMCB ROAD WORK" or something to that effect.  Given the newness of the bridge at the time, the "four random letters" probably threw off any motorist who wasn't a "road enthusiast".  I knew what it stood for, but had to think for a minute. 

Since that time, we've had the whole renaming more drilled into our heads.  And now, the VMSs probably have to say "GMMCB"... can't forget that extra M! 

famartin

Quote from: Alps on December 30, 2020, 10:31:49 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on December 29, 2020, 08:40:53 PM
Quote from: famartin on December 29, 2020, 03:11:29 PM
Interestingly, at least as of September when I took these two photos, they had not replaced them with "Governor Mario Cuomo Bridge" as they did with the final one...
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1150893,-74.1613275,3a,75y,12.68h,88.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sK4xhAGZHFV8itAJt42-tlg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
There is also an error on the sign for the bridge. Does anybody else see it?
All of the signs in this thread lately show SOUTH [87 Thruway] and then 287. The 287 is intentionally not grouped with SOUTH, they just failed to make it EAST for some reason.
SignBridge was referring to the sign linked above (not the ones i photographed), which DOES show 287 erroneously grouped with south.

roadman65

Why isnt East Brunswick a control city for Exit 9?

https://goo.gl/maps/bAFYWpmz6w3WPMALA

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on January 12, 2021, 09:39:17 AM
Why is East Brunswick a control city for Exit 9?

What am I missing here? On the current signs, it isn't listed. Did you mean to ask why it isn't a control city, or are you asking why it used to be listed on the old signs in the past before the Turnpike adopted a new style? Either way, East Brunswick is just to the east of the Turnpike through there and New Brunswick is just to the west.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

famartin

I presume you mean "isn't", and its interesting it got removed, but no idea why.

roadman65

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 12, 2021, 10:06:50 AM

What am I missing here? On the current signs, it isn't listed. Did you mean to ask why it isn't a control city, or are you asking why it used to be listed on the old signs in the past before the Turnpike adopted a new style? Either way, East Brunswick is just to the east of the Turnpike through there and New Brunswick is just to the west.

Fixed it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Shouldn't there be one control per direction? I would think the new method would address that. Also East Brunswick is a big commercial retail community attracting patrons from all over the region. Why not feature it?

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on January 12, 2021, 10:32:09 AM
Shouldn't there be one control per direction? I would think the new method would address that. Also East Brunswick is a big commercial retail community attracting patrons from all over the region. Why not feature it?

Mostly because the Turnpike Authority will do its own thing as it sees fit. They did put it on a high mounted ancillary sign ahead of the interchange, so the information isn't lost, just downgraded. I could buy an argument that people think having two different Brunswicks on the same sign is confusing, but NJDOT doesn't seem to think it a problem and the Turnpike had both on the same signs for decades. Also, given that the interchange is in East Brunswick proper and they don't want to use that as the actual control city, then they could just use Old Bridge like NJDOT does.

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on January 12, 2021, 01:09:25 PM

Mostly because the Turnpike Authority will do its own thing as it sees fit. They did put it on a high mounted ancillary sign ahead of the interchange, so the information isn't lost, just downgraded. I could buy an argument that people think having two different Brunswicks on the same sign is confusing, but NJDOT doesn't seem to think it a problem and the Turnpike had both on the same signs for decades. Also, given that the interchange is in East Brunswick proper and they don't want to use that as the actual control city, then they could just use Old Bridge like NJDOT does.

Its odd they actually changed their sign which I believe did once feature East Brunswick. Now, can it be argued that its not necessary? I suppose. The Oranges are a bit different in that there isn't one that's really dominant, versus New Brunswick which is the core of the Brunswicks (even if more people live in the sprawling East/North/South Brunswicks).  NJDOT hasn't changed their sign on US 1, though perhaps they will https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4854196,-74.4165589,3a,75y,213.83h,81.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIN6VRyLXYuuRaRZx_k_kdw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

fmendes

Quote from: SignBridge on December 28, 2013, 08:37:33 PM
Well, what the Turnpike is actually is important right now, 'cause that's what this thread is about, right? And how do you know his name isn't Shirley? Also let's not forget that nice lady June Cleaver, who learned to speak Jive later in life, in time for her to take an important Airplane flight! LOL LOL

And while we're off-topic I also gotta comment that those NYSDOT engineers must have been smoking something when they numbered those Sagtikos and Southern State Parkway exits. Ya' really hafta wonder when NYSDOT is going to get its act together and number exits on Long Island according to the MUTCD.

And now back to the NJ Turnpike.
the engineers must have been smoking something when designing the southern state in general like not one section is Straight or not up to standards LMAO

Alps

Quote from: fmendes on January 12, 2021, 03:16:20 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on December 28, 2013, 08:37:33 PM
Well, what the Turnpike is actually is important right now, 'cause that's what this thread is about, right? And how do you know his name isn't Shirley? Also let's not forget that nice lady June Cleaver, who learned to speak Jive later in life, in time for her to take an important Airplane flight! LOL LOL

And while we're off-topic I also gotta comment that those NYSDOT engineers must have been smoking something when they numbered those Sagtikos and Southern State Parkway exits. Ya' really hafta wonder when NYSDOT is going to get its act together and number exits on Long Island according to the MUTCD.

And now back to the NJ Turnpike.
the engineers must have been smoking something when designing the southern state in general like not one section is Straight or not up to standards LMAO

it's a parkway LMAO

SignBridge

Alps, it sounds like you're implying that a road that is just a parkway doesn't need to be up to modern engineering standards. Am I hearing you right? As I'm sure you already know, the Long Island Parkways today are major commuter arteries, just without heavy trucks and busses.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on January 12, 2021, 10:14:00 PM
Alps, it sounds like you're implying that a road that is just a parkway doesn't need to be up to modern engineering standards. Am I hearing you right? As I'm sure you already know, the Long Island Parkways today are major commuter arteries, just without heavy trucks and busses.
It was designed to certain standards at a certain time. He was wondering what the designers were smoking. If you designed a road like that now, you'd have to justify the design speed and include more modern safety elements perhaps. Why are you after me tonight?

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on January 12, 2021, 02:42:06 PM

Its odd they actually changed their sign which I believe did once feature East Brunswick. Now, can it be argued that its not necessary? I suppose. The Oranges are a bit different in that there isn't one that's really dominant, versus New Brunswick which is the core of the Brunswicks (even if more people live in the sprawling East/North/South Brunswicks).  NJDOT hasn't changed their sign on US 1, though perhaps they will https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4854196,-74.4165589,3a,75y,213.83h,81.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIN6VRyLXYuuRaRZx_k_kdw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

That interchange is actually on the outskirts of New Brunswick, and East Brunswick is the next control city for 18 so that makes sense there. Besides, as I said, NJDOT isn't the same on that (other than that the Brunswicks are the one set of towns that won't get the "the" treatment as control cities on signs, e.g., The Plainfields, The Amboys, The Oranges). I was merely speculating on why the Turnpike Authority might have decided to move East Brunswick to an aux sign instead.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: storm2k on January 13, 2021, 12:57:57 AM
That interchange is actually on the outskirts of New Brunswick, and East Brunswick is the next control city for 18 so that makes sense there. Besides, as I said, NJDOT isn't the same on that (other than that the Brunswicks are the one set of towns that won't get the "the" treatment as control cities on signs, e.g., The Plainfields, The Amboys, The Oranges). I was merely speculating on why the Turnpike Authority might have decided to move East Brunswick to an aux sign instead.

This is admittedly a bit off-topic, but I'm glad someone brought up "the 'the' treatment," because I've been mildly fascinated with that for a while.  Are there other states, or regions/countries, that have similarly named cities/towns that are commonly referenced as a plural with a definite article ("The [plural noun]")?
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

1995hoo

Quote from: stridentweasel on January 13, 2021, 11:54:13 AM

This is admittedly a bit off-topic, but I'm glad someone brought up "the 'the' treatment," because I've been mildly fascinated with that for a while.  Are there other states, or regions/countries, that have similarly named cities/towns that are commonly referenced as a plural with a definite article ("The [plural noun]")?

Maryland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCjtv3Cz0Jg

:-D :-D :-D
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Use Shore Points or even South River then.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Isn't New Brunswick the Turnpike's actual name of the interchange at Exit 9? That's why it's signed as such and all other towns in the area are secondary to the interchange name. And it was probably named that because circa 1950 when the Turnpike was built, it was the only real town in the area. East Brunswick back then was probably nothing but farms.

lepidopteran

...the Brunswicks are the one set of towns that won't get the "the" treatment as control cities on signs, e.g., The Plainfields, The Amboys, The Oranges ...
I say that the only reason that Brunswicks do not get the "the" treatment is because, although Exit 9 is convenient to "New", "East", and "North", South Brunswick is (true to its name) further south enough that Exit 8A is the best way to go.  There used to be a supplementary destination sign for 8A on the NJTP that listed four cities, one of which was South Brunswick.  I think the sign only disappeared recently, when the truck lanes were extended and/or when MUTCD-compliant signs started appearing.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on January 13, 2021, 01:08:59 PM

Use Shore Points or even South River then.

Shore Points is something they'd only put on ancillary signs at this point, like they did at Exit 11, and I think Old Bridge makes more sense than South River.

SignBridge

Shore Points might make sense as a destination but isn't a valid destination as per the MUTCD. Needs to be a place name like Cape May or Atlantic City.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.