News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-69 in AR (and Pine Bluff I-69 Connector/AR 530)

Started by Grzrd, September 21, 2010, 01:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

Quotelike the stub end of what's now I-49 south of Texarkana
The whole thing was numbered as 549 before the switch to I-49 proper, but...
"stub end"? :confused:
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

sparker

Quote from: yakra on December 19, 2017, 04:21:32 PM
Quotelike the stub end of what's now I-49 south of Texarkana
The whole thing was numbered as 549 before the switch to I-49 proper, but...
"stub end"? :confused:

Since it (AR 549) ended before the LA state line for quite some time, I would classify it as a "stub end" during that period (albeit a relatively lengthy "stub"); if someone has a more appropriate term, I certainly wouldn't quibble.  Seems to be a moot point these days as I-49 has been in place for several years. 

RBBrittain

ARDOT's 2017-19 state highway map shows the east half of the Monticello Bypass as US 278B, as if it's open. (It's not the only road it shows as open when it's not; it shows the entire AR 13 Searcy bypass as open.)

froggie

If the map is dated to 2019, presumably they'll be open by then.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: RBBrittain on December 20, 2017, 08:04:44 PM
ARDOT's 2017-19 state highway map shows the east half of the Monticello Bypass as US 278B, as if it's open. (It's not the only road it shows as open when it's not; it shows the entire AR 13 Searcy bypass as open.)
They also show AR 440 as open, oddly... I wonder if with whatever plans they have for I-440 they do a sort of flyover to Gravel Ridge... :hmmm:
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

bugo

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on December 28, 2017, 06:52:44 PM
They also show AR 440 as open, oddly... I wonder if with whatever plans they have for I-440 they do a sort of flyover to Gravel Ridge... :hmmm:

Huh? AR 440 opened to traffic in 2003.

sparker

Quote from: bugo on December 29, 2017, 04:22:53 PM

IIRC there was at one time a very tentative proposal to extend AR 440 north and west as a loop around North Little Rock and rejoining  I-40 somewhere around the I-430 interchange; perhaps the AR Roadgeek is making reference to that potential extension -- the plans for which don't seem to have been followed up by any further action.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: sparker on December 29, 2017, 04:44:04 PM
Quote from: bugo on December 29, 2017, 04:22:53 PM

IIRC there was at one time a very tentative proposal to extend AR 440 north and west as a loop around North Little Rock and rejoining  I-40 somewhere around the I-430 interchange; perhaps the AR Roadgeek is making reference to that potential extension -- the plans for which don't seem to have been followed up by any further action.
I believe so, AR 440 is a stub at an interchange with itself and US 67. It could (one day) pick back up, but unlikely.

Also sparker, I recall reading somewhere in plans or on here about a loop regarding AR 440 around NLR and a reconnection point.

Road Hog

An AR 440 extension to AR 107 would be extremely useful. However, west of that any farther extension would be problematic because of Camp Robinson. The new highway would have to be routed around it and through developed areas, with a fearsome ROW tab.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 09, 2017, 09:39:13 AM
ARDOT's Sept. 6 presentation to the Arkansas State Highway Commission contains some INFRA grant applications, and apparently in the transition from FASTLANE to INFRA, ARDOT decided to shorten the application from the east end of the Monticello Bypass to U.S. 65 (p. 19/83 of pdf):
Quote from: Grzrd on November 20, 2017, 07:45:55 PM
This October 21 article reports that the Southeast Arkansas Cornerstone Coalition has voted to transfer $35 million from the western part of the Monticello Bypass to the section closer to US 65 east of Monticello

It's a little dated news, but this February 11 article reports that the Arkansas Highway Commission followed the lead of the Southeast Arkansas Cornerstone Coalition and shifted the money intended for the western part of the Monticello Bypass to building I-69 east to U.S. 65. This illustration from the article sums it up nicely:

Perhaps they are shifting the funding in part to increase their odds of getting the INFRA grant.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 23, 2018, 08:18:11 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on September 09, 2017, 09:39:13 AM
ARDOT's Sept. 6 presentation to the Arkansas State Highway Commission contains some INFRA grant applications, and apparently in the transition from FASTLANE to INFRA, ARDOT decided to shorten the application from the east end of the Monticello Bypass to U.S. 65 (p. 19/83 of pdf):
Quote from: Grzrd on November 20, 2017, 07:45:55 PM
This October 21 article reports that the Southeast Arkansas Cornerstone Coalition has voted to transfer $35 million from the western part of the Monticello Bypass to the section closer to US 65 east of Monticello
It's a little dated news, but this February 11 article reports that the Arkansas Highway Commission followed the lead of the Southeast Arkansas Cornerstone Coalition and shifted the money intended for the western part of the Monticello Bypass to building I-69 east to U.S. 65. This illustration from the article sums it up nicely:

Perhaps they are shifting the funding in part to increase their odds of getting the INFRA grant.

The focus was on the Bella Vista Bypass project not being awarded an INFRA grant, but this June 8 article quotes ARDOT spokesman Danny Straessle as saying that no Arkansas projects received a grant:

Danny Straessle, a spokesman for the Arkansas Department of Transportation, said Thursday no Arkansas projects made the cut. A list of projects was released earlier this week.

Here is a snip of the Arkansas applications from the comprehensive list of USDOT (p. 1/6 of pdf):

Grzrd

It's a little dated news, but this February 11 article reports that the Arkansas Highway Commission followed the lead of the Southeast Arkansas Cornerstone Coalition and shifted the money intended for the western part of the Monticello Bypass to building I-69 east to U.S. 65.

ARDOT has released the 2019-2022 Draft STIP and it shows that they are willing to go with construction east to US 65 in 2022 and buy ROW for the westwern part of the Monticello Bypass in 2019 (p. 32/216 of pdf; p. 4 of document):

sparker

Quote from: Grzrd on July 08, 2018, 08:28:21 PM
It's a little dated news, but this February 11 article reports that the Arkansas Highway Commission followed the lead of the Southeast Arkansas Cornerstone Coalition and shifted the money intended for the western part of the Monticello Bypass to building I-69 east to U.S. 65.

ARDOT has released the 2019-2022 Draft STIP and it shows that they are willing to go with construction east to US 65 in 2022 and buy ROW for the westwern part of the Monticello Bypass in 2019 (p. 32/216 of pdf; p. 4 of document):

IIRC, that eastern extension to US 65 is a full-width ROW like what's U.C. now, but also with 2 lanes as per present construction.  Will this include any grade separation structures or will simply be the initial lanes of the eventual facility, with at-grade interim intersections? 

Grzrd

Finally, the ribbon-cutting for the first two lanes of the Monticello Bypass will be held on Octoiber 11:

WHAT: Ribbon-cutting to celebrate completion of the first segment of the Monticello Bypass
WHO: Members of the Arkansas Highway Commission, ARDOT Officials, Lt. Governor Tim Griffin, and local area officials
WHEN: Thursday, October 11 at 11:00 a.m.
WHERE: See attached map. Travel south on U.S Highway 425 to the intersection of Future U.S. Highway 69, turn east on 278 Bypass, proceed for one mile to event site.

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on October 10, 2018, 02:01:50 PM
Finally, the ribbon-cutting for the first two lanes of the Monticello Bypass will be held on Octoiber 11:

WHAT: Ribbon-cutting to celebrate completion of the first segment of the Monticello Bypass
WHO: Members of the Arkansas Highway Commission, ARDOT Officials, Lt. Governor Tim Griffin, and local area officials
WHERE: See attached map. Travel south on U.S Highway 425 to the intersection of Future U.S. Highway 69, turn east on 278 Bypass, proceed for one mile to event site.

tempting, but can't do it on less than 24 hours notice.

Wait! Did they say US 69?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

sparker

Quote from: US71 on October 10, 2018, 02:40:56 PM

Of course they did.  They're garden-variety PR folks who can't be bothered to (a) vet their info through the planners down the hall, or (b) discern any details about things that don't personally affect them.   Nevertheless, that certainly isn't enhancing their employer's reputation!   :rolleyes:

cjk374

Quote from: sparker on October 10, 2018, 04:52:06 PM

Of course they did.  They're garden-variety PR folks who can't be bothered to (a) vet their info through the planners down the hall, or (b) discern any details about things that don't personally affect them.   Nevertheless, that certainly isn't enhancing their employer's reputation!   :rolleyes:

I hope there is a US 69 shield in the field up there. That would make the trip worth taking.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

sparker

Quote from: cjk374 on October 10, 2018, 05:42:21 PM
I hope there is a US 69 shield in the field up there. That would make the trip worth taking.

I'll bet that the guys in the field are a bit more savvy than your typical HQ PR flack; besides, there's been a few "future corridor" MGS's in the field with a shield facsimile for comparison.  And -- most telling -- since US 69 never entered the state, there's no US 69 shields lying around in some corporate yard to be misappropriated!  :-P

txstateends

That kind of mess is one of the big reasons I'm not wild about the interstate being numbered 69 in TX.  There will be potential for all kinds of wrong-type/wrong-highway mixups and such.  Few will know which 69 is meant in those cases.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

codyg1985

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

sparker

Quote from: txstateends on October 11, 2018, 04:41:06 AM
That kind of mess is one of the big reasons I'm not wild about the interstate being numbered 69 in TX.  There will be potential for all kinds of wrong-type/wrong-highway mixups and such.  Few will know which 69 is meant in those cases.

Well, TX has been duplicating designations for as long as I can remember (35, 87, 20 -- the list goes on).  Would be fun to see if any wrong shield types have been posted over the years (pictures would be appreciated!). 

The Ghostbuster

Bypass US 278? What happened to the Highway 569 designation? Once the whole Monticello Bypass is complete, could the bypass be given the mainline US 278 designation, given that making it a four-lane Interstate 69 freeway is light-years away?

TheArkansasRoadgeek

US 10 :-D :spin:

cjk374

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 11, 2018, 05:22:38 PM
Bypass US 278? What happened to the Highway 569 designation? Once the whole Monticello Bypass is complete, could the bypass be given the mainline US 278 designation, given that making it a four-lane Interstate 69 freeway is light-years away?

I find that designation very interesting. Perhaps Arkansas may be giving up on I-69 despite their future corridor signs?  :hmmm:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

sparker

Quote from: cjk374 on October 12, 2018, 10:55:42 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 11, 2018, 05:22:38 PM

I find that designation very interesting. Perhaps Arkansas may be giving up on I-69 despite their future corridor signs?  :hmmm:

At this point, doubtful.  Until more of the corridor is built, this "half bypass" has only one function, and that is to bypass US 278's eastern portion in Monticello.  The designation is appropriate for that purpose, since US 425 traffic intending to turn east on US 278 can now bypass the in-town segment on the new alignment.  If the remainder presently planned eastward to US 65 at McGehee is also 2 lanes as well, expect that bypass designation to continue east -- unless ARDOT simply decides to reroute the US 278 mainline over the nascent I-69 alignment.  Until either divided segments are built, or grade separation structures are in the works, don't expect to see any I-69 field references beyond the sporadic stuff that's deployed right now.   As arguably the most isolated portion of the whole I-69 corridor -- and, as such, not really useful as a functional (as opposed to legislated) SIU -- premature signage would be something of a joke!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.