News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Stevenson (Illinois) tolled lanes

Started by johndoe780, February 04, 2016, 12:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndoe780

http://abc7chicago.com/traffic/state-gives-idot-option-for-managed-lanes-on-stevenson-expy/1186221/

Thoughts? I really like this idea. But whose this private company? ITHSA?

First, I would rather IDOT focus on the ****hole that is 290 first and close off the exits at Oak Park.

Brandon

And managed lanes will do nothing for the problems along I-55.  The major backups are caused by a lack of merging room at IL-53 and Cicero.  Auxiliary lanes between many of the interchanges would go a long way to fixing some of the issues.  Places where I believe such lanes would be effective:

1. Between IL-53 and I-355.
2. Between Central and Cicero.
3. Between Cicero and Pulaski.

Also, eliminate the full cloverleaf at County Line Road and replace it with a folded diamond (parclo) facing west, away from the Tri-State.  Lemont and Cass could be replaced with DDIs instead of the current cloverleafs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

The Ghostbuster

Brandon, could you write a letter to the Illinois DOT to address these problems, or would they just blow you off?

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Brandon on February 04, 2016, 03:57:32 PM
And managed lanes will do nothing for the problems along I-55.  The major backups are caused by a lack of merging room at IL-53 and Cicero.  Auxiliary lanes between many of the interchanges would go a long way to fixing some of the issues.  Places where I believe such lanes would be effective:

Also, eliminate the full cloverleaf at County Line Road and replace it with a folded diamond (parclo) facing west, away from the Tri-State.  Lemont and Cass could be replaced with DDIs instead of the current cloverleafs.

I-294 and I-55 has the left exit. But the full IL-45 / I-55 / I-294. Needs to be reworked.

ET21

Unfortunately I don't think CLR will be done anytime soon since they just redid it. One thing I'm extremely surprised at is how I-55 is still only 3 lanes to this day
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

johndoe780

Quote from: ET21 on February 04, 2016, 11:07:31 PM

Unfortunately I don't think CLR will be done anytime soon since they just redid it. One thing I'm extremely surprised at is how I-55 is still only 3 lanes to this day

The Eisenhower carries more traffic and is still 3 lanes in Oak Park...

ET21

Quote from: johndoe780 on February 05, 2016, 12:38:26 AM

There might be space issues with the Ike around Oak Park, especially with those left exits. Wheras you look at the Stevenson from 355 to the Dan Ryan (90/94) there is enough space in the median for a fourth lane.

A trouble area would be between LaGrange (US-12/20/45) and Joliet Road, with that left exit and the 294 interchange

Clinched:

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ET21 on February 06, 2016, 11:23:32 AM
Quote from: johndoe780 on February 05, 2016, 12:38:26 AM

There might be space issues with the Ike around Oak Park, especially with those left exits. Wheras you look at the Stevenson from 355 to the Dan Ryan (90/94) there is enough space in the median for a fourth lane.

A trouble area would be between LaGrange (US-12/20/45) and Joliet Road, with that left exit and the 294 interchange

Agreed on the trouble spot near the I-294/LaGrange/Joliet interchange. However, I wonder if this might be an opportunity to take a good look at this area and see if there are legitimate upgrades to the interchange that could be done. Although, I understand cost could be a factor there.

dzlsabe

Finishing I-90 (see Hypotenuse   https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16790.msg2104442#msg2104442) would help diminish current and future problems on Stevenson, Ike, N Ryan, US 12 & 20, Kennedy as well.

The problems the Stevenson faces typically seem to originate around Cicero Av. SB from downtown can often be backed up to there, but ease somewhat after that. NB seems to have its biggest problem between the Tri-state and Cicero. I question whether more lanes, even tolled, will solve the problem.

Whats missing??

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8337329,-87.7319639,11z

Heres the MAP  http://imgur.com/u9L0fFx
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

quickshade

As long as the right private agency gets involved I like the idea. I don't mind paying a fair toll as long as the road is in good condition and i'm not sitting in traffic all day. I was up and down about the toll increase a few years ago on all Illinois tollways but after having to use 90 everyday for 2 years and seeing the improvements first had i'm totally ok with it.

If the same thing happens here in the right hands it's win-win.

GeekJedi

Obviously, tolling isn't the greatest solution to this, but it's a good way to add some capacity on that stretch without breaking the bank. In theory it won't make the non-tolled portions any worse, and possibly make them better. Seems like a reasonable compromise that isn't anywhere near fictional.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Rick Powell

There might be space issues with the Ike around Oak Park, especially with those left exits.

There is enough room for 4 lanes even at the tightest spot at Oak Park Avenue, the left ramps will be replaced with right handed ramps at Harlem and Austin, and IDOT is working with CTA to transfer a strip of unneeded right of way for the highway expansion.  Lots of info on the ongoing study at www.eisenhowerexpressway.com.

johndoe780

It should be noted that the only reason this can even be considered by private companies is because IDOT already laid much of the groundwork for a fourth lane back in 1998-2000 when the expressway was rebuilt. Space was preserved in the median and many bridges were built to support the extra lane. At the time, this was envisioned to be a free HOV lane.

johndoe780

Quote from: Rick Powell on February 06, 2016, 09:10:38 PM
There might be space issues with the Ike around Oak Park, especially with those left exits.

There is enough room for 4 lanes even at the tightest spot at Oak Park Avenue, the left ramps will be replaced with right handed ramps at Harlem and Austin, and IDOT is working with CTA to transfer a strip of unneeded right of way for the highway expansion.  Lots of info on the ongoing study at www.eisenhowerexpressway.com.

Study being the actual key word. When's IDOT going to get off their *** and start shoveling already?

1) We already acknowledge the need for it- another pointless study
2) We know we need it- another pointless study
3) Somehow IDOT wants to combine it with the blue line expansion- Yeah sure whatever.

dzlsabe

The problems the Stevenson faces typically seem to originate around Cicero Av. SB from downtown can often be backed up to there, but ease somewhat after that. NB seems to have its biggest problem between the Tri-state and Cicero. I question whether more lanes, even tolled, will cure the problem.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Brandon

^^ Hence why I think an auxiliary lane between Central & Cicero, & between Cicero & Pulaski might help.  The ramps, especially at Pulaski inbound, back up onto the expressway, even at midday.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ET21

Whatever the case, 55 needs something. I don't think the shoulder Pace bus is a good long term goal for this highway

Clinched:

paulthemapguy

Watching this newscast was hilarious to me, because of the anchors' inability to understand what an HOV lane is, so they were dancing around their description of it.  I was yelling at the TV, "just say it's an HOV lane!" Or call it a carpool lane even!
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

GeekJedi

$10 says at least 80% of their viewers would have no idea what an "HOV lane" is.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Henry

Quote from: dzlsabe on February 06, 2016, 03:05:38 PM
Finishing I-90 (see Hypotenuse   https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16790.msg2104442#msg2104442) would help diminish current and future problems on Stevenson, Ike, N Ryan, US 12 & 20, Kennedy as well.

The problems the Stevenson faces typically seem to originate around Cicero Av. SB from downtown can often be backed up to there, but ease somewhat after that. NB seems to have its biggest problem between the Tri-state and Cicero. I question whether more lanes, even tolled, will solve the problem.

Whats missing??

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8337329,-87.7319639,11z

Heres the MAP  http://imgur.com/u9L0fFx
You really think the Hypotenuse will help solve all those traffic problems in Chicago, don't you?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

dzlsabe

Solve "ALL" may be a stretch. I prefer help resolve many. Not only traffic, but many rail problems as well. Run it through a super-computer. I dont think whats been happening the last SIXTY years, a bypass here, a lane there, a band-aid over there is cuttin' it. There are really NO relief valves. Every road is at max many times a day. Driving many miles out of the way or zig-zagging down "secret" streets that most everyone knows? Add any construction, weather or accidents, or all three, and the transportation "hub" of America comes to a halt. Future growth, business attraction/retention is pretty pathetic for Chicago MSA. Tired of three lefts make a right and IDOTs mantra "Expect Delays".

No business, government or country succeeds by perpetual cheapness. It looks like oil is going to be below $60 for some time. Now would be a fine time to increase our miserable spending on infrastructure a point or two. Its just a matter of finding some legislators with &@!!$ to raise fuel taxes (or do you say highway user fees).

FYI, the GDP of Chicagolands SEVEN counties is equal to all of Ohio OR almost New Jersey! That puts the rest of IL on par with Kentucky. So yes, BIG infrastructure road and rail projects that should have been funded decades ago are a major reason for the problems faced today and the anemic <1% growth of this MSA.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.