BUILD Grants awards announced

Started by mvak36, December 11, 2018, 02:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvak36

https://www.transportation.gov/BUILDgrants

U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao Announces $1.5 Billion in BUILD Transportation Grants to Revitalize Infrastructure Nationwide

WASHINGTON —  U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao today announced $1.5 billion in discretionary grant funding to 91 projects in 49 states and the District of Columbia. The grants are made through the Better Utilizing Investments to Leverage Development (BUILD) Transportation Grants program and support road, rail, transit, and port infrastructure projects across the country.

"BUILD transportation grants are major investments in road, rail, transit, and port projects that serve as a down payment on this administration's commitment to America's infrastructure,"  said U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao.

Demand for BUILD grants far exceeded available funds, and the locally-driven nature of the applications was clear in their volume and geographic diversity.  851 eligible applications from all 50 states, as well as U.S. territories, and the District of Columbia were sent in response to the BUILD Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO), nearly double the applications received in 2017. Overall, applicants in 2018 requested more than $10.9 billion in funding.

Project applications were evaluated by a team of 222 career staff in the Department and selected based on established criteria. The criteria included safety, economic competitiveness, quality of life, environmental protection, and state of good repair. Further criteria included innovation, such as projects supporting Autonomous Vehicles infrastructure, broadband service to underserved communities, as well as projects that demonstrate partnerships between the public and private sectors, and non-Federal revenue for transportation infrastructure investments. The Department prioritized rural projects that aligned with the criteria and addressed rural infrastructure needs.

The BUILD Transportation Grants re-balance a ten-year, historical underinvestment in rural communities.  Rural applications more than doubled from the previous year's TIGER applications. Underinvestment in rural infrastructure has led to a decline in the routes that connect communities in rural America.  In this round, in which 59 percent of the applications were for rural projects, 62 projects were awarded to rural grant applications.

Several selected projects will contribute to America's energy independence. The Permian Basin projects and the Port Arthur Multimodal Rail Expansion and Berth Expansion Project will both contribute to the efficient transportation of domestic energy products. Border security infrastructure is also supported through BUILD Transportation grants, with projects such as the Calexico East Port of Entry Bridge Expansion in California making bridge improvements to accommodate freight traffic and improving other transportation facilities at the border crossing.

The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2018 appropriated $1.5 billion for BUILD Transportation grants. For this round of BUILD Transportation grants, the maximum grant award is $25 million for a single project, and no more than $150 million can be awarded to a single state. There is a $5 million minimum award for projects located in urban areas, and a $1 million minimum for rural projects.

List of Projects: https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/policy-initiatives/327856/build-2018-fact-sheets.pdf

It looks like the only state that didn't get a grant was Hawaii.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

SectorZ

I'm so happy that Connecticut's most pressing concern was escalators.

kphoger

Grants of note (to me):

I-49 Missouri—Arkansas Connector:  $25,000 (peanuts) of $134.5 million

Calexico East Port of Entry Bridge Expansion:  $20 million of $29.8 million

Colorado's V2X Technology Safety and Mobility Improvement Project:  $20 million out of $67 million
Commercial-scale vehicle-to-everything technology.

Vine Street (Hays, KS) Corridor Project:  $6.0 million of $7.5 million
Notable to me because one of the proposed roundabouts is a squashed oval.  None appear to be true 2x2 roundabouts, so tradephoric can breathe a sigh of relief.

Interstate 70 and Turner Diagonal (KCK) Interchange Improvements:  $13.8 million of $30.3 million
DDI in my general area.

GREATTER-NC Rural Bridge Improvement Project:  $23 million of $119.1 million
Say good-bye to 77 old bridges.

Youngstown SMART2 Network:  $10.8 million of $26.2 million
Autonomous transit shuttles.

Corridor H – Kerens to Parsons – Segment 5:  $20 million of $42 million
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mvak36

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2018, 07:29:16 PM
Grants of note (to me):

I-49 Missouri—Arkansas Connector:  $25,000 (peanuts) of $134.5 million

Calexico East Port of Entry Bridge Expansion:  $20 million of $29.8 million

Colorado's V2X Technology Safety and Mobility Improvement Project:  $20 million out of $67 million
Commercial-scale vehicle-to-everything technology.

Notable to me because one of the proposed roundabouts is a squashed oval.  None appear to be true 2x2 roundabouts, so tradephoric can breathe a sigh of relief.

Interstate 70 and Turner Diagonal (KCK) Interchange Improvements:  $13.8 million of $30.3 million
DDI in my general area.

GREATTER-NC Rural Bridge Improvement Project:  $23 million of $119.1 million
Say good-bye to 77 old bridges.

Youngstown SMART2 Network:  $10.8 million of $26.2 million
Autonomous transit shuttles.

Corridor H – Kerens to Parsons – Segment 5:  $20 million of $42 million

Is that 134.5 million the cost of both the Missouri and Arkansas sides? I thought Missouri needs to come up with about 25 million or so to complete their share of the bypass.

EDIT: Answered the first part of my own question by looking at the list of awards.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

formulanone

The photo for the very first grant in Alabama - Bibb Garrett and AL 20 - has the incorrect intersection. They used an old mock-up of US Alt 72 / AL 20 (Corridor V) at US 31, which was completed in late 2016. It's located here -> https://www.google.com/maps/@34.6279465,-86.9154155,16.33z

Of course, a mile or so west at US 31, that's what needs grant money, since there's a traffic tie-up with those old ramps there every weekday.

I-12 at the Tchefuncte River is on the list. There's an annoying bottleneck. But it's fun to say "Tchefuncte".

froggie

Quote from: SectorZI'm so happy that Connecticut's most pressing concern was escalators.

Keep in mind that numerous applications were submitted.  As with the TIGER grants of years past, far more requests were made than funding available.  Clearly USDOT felt this was the most worthy of the projects submitted from Connecticut.

Quote from: kphogerI-49 Missouri—Arkansas Connector:  $25,000 (peanuts) of $134.5 million

You must've read that wrong.  The fact sheet says $25 million was awarded to this one.

QuoteVine Street (Hays, KS) Corridor Project:  $6.0 million of $7.5 million

What I found noteworthy of that design is that the roundabouts are located at the adjacent frontage roads, so that any traffic "turning left" to/from I-70 must go to that frontage road roundabout to "U-turn".

RobbieL2415

Quote from: SectorZ on December 11, 2018, 06:47:58 PM
I'm so happy that Connecticut's most pressing concern was escalators.
The I-91 exit 29 reconstruction is being federally funded with regular old FHWA money.

froggie

Other noteworthy road projects not yet mentioned:

- Widening AL-157 between US-31 and AL-69 in Cullman.

- $9 million to build a bridge in Nenana, AK, for a project that has already run out of money once amid accusations of mismanagement.  This bridge would be west of the Parks Highway (AK-3) and tie into Parks Hwy at 10th St.  Satellite imagery shows some of the work that was done before previous funding dried up.

- An extension of the Hot Springs (AR) bypass north to the AR-5/AR-7 junction.

- A 3-mile freeway bypass of Riverbank, CA for CA-108, the first step of what's intended as a longer corridor also bypassing Modesto and Oakdale.

- Widening ~5 miles of CA-46 west of I-5.

- Reconstructing bridges & interchanges and adding "express lanes" to I-25 between CO-56 and CO-402 (east and southeast of Loveland, CO).  The project also straightens out the curves at the CO-56 interchange.

- Removal of part of the Hart Bridge Expressway (north of the river) in Jacksonville, FL.  The segment in question is shown as FL-228 on Google maps and runs from Georgia St to just west of ALT US-1.  That segment of elevated expressway will be eliminated and combined with Gator Bowl Blvd into a 6-lane divided boulevard.  A T-intersection would tie into the north-south leg of Gater Bowl Blvd with a traffic signal (southeast side of the Jags stadium).  The ALT US-1 portion of the expressway as well as the elevated ramps over A.P. Randolph St and west into downtown would remain intact.

- Construction of a tight diamond interchange on US-29/GA-316 at GA-11 near Bethlehem, GA (roughly halfway between I-85 and Athens).

- Continuation of the 6-laning of I-65 north of Indianapolis, IN from IN-32 north to IN-47.

- 6-laning of I-65 near Columbus, IN from IN-46 south to IN-58.

- Widening of KY-331 in Owensboro, KY.

- Relocation and 4-laning of US-641 from the KY/TN state line to just south of Murray, KY.  The relocation would be to the west of existing US-641.

- Reconstruction of the KY-80/KY-461 junction into a partial interchange that would accommodate Future I-66 to the west.  The project would also build a diamond interchange on KY-461 at Valley Oak Dr/Pin Oak Dr and widen KY-461 to 4-lanes between the two interchanges.  It is unclear if the remaining access points on KY-461 between the two interchanges would be removed or not.

- New interchange on I-95 at Belvidere Rd in Cecil County, MD (between MD-222 and MD-272).

- Completion of the US-31 freeway from Napier Ave to I-94 near Benton Harbor, MI (discussed in another thread but not yet mentioned here).

- Reconstruction of the I-35/I-535/US-53 "Can of Worms" interchange in Duluth, MN

- Widening of about 4.5 miles of MS-19 from MS-492 towards Philadelphia.  The fact sheet mentions this is the "final segment of improvements" to the overall corridor but this would still leave about 6 miles to bring 4 lanes up to Philadelphia proper.

- $25 million towards a new US-169 "Buck O'Neil Bridge" over the Missouri River in Kansas City, MO.  Environmental studies are currently underway for a new bridge, which would likely be located west of the existing bridge and tie directly into I-35 South.

- Widening of the Kalispell, MT bypass from Foys Lake Rd to Airport Rd plus replacing the roundabout at Foys Lake Rd with an interchange.

- Widening of US-34/US-75 from Murray, NE (~NE-1) to Plattsmouth (end of the current 4-lane coming down from Omaha).

- Widening and realignment of two segments of PA-228 (totalling a little over 2 miles) in Butler County, PA.

- $20 million towards a complete re-do of the interchanges on the Newport, RI side of the Pell Bridge (RI-138).  This is still under study, with options ranging from retaining a freeway-grade connection (minus some ramps) to Admiral Kalbfus Rd to looping the bridge approach into J.T. Connell Hwy at-grade (roughly along the existing NB ramp from RI-238 to the bridge).  There are a few common elements of all the alternatives:  repaving J.T. Connell and Coddington Hwys, converting the J.T. Connell Hwy/Admiral Kalfbus Rd traffic circle into a modern roundabout, and reconnecting J.T. Connell Hwy to Farewell St.

- Reconstruction of US-83 from White River, SD to I-90 at Murdo.  Some curves would be straightened, a climbing lane added, and shoulders widened.

- An extension of Buckner Rd in Spring Hill, TN east to US-431, with a diverging diamond interchange built where it crosses I-65.

- A new interchange at TX-137/TX-158 east of Midland, TX.  I could not find which would be the through route.

- A new interchange at TX-302/TX-115 near Kermit, TX.  TX-302 will be bridged over TX-115 and as best as I can find will be the "through route".

- A freeway-grade Berkeley Springs, WV bypass for US-522.

- Construction of a new interchange on WI-29/WI-32 between CTH-U and CTH-VV (closer to VV), northwest of Green Bay.  This will eliminate the only two at-grade intersections between WI-156 and I-41.

- Construction of two climbing lanes on I-80 in southeastern Wyoming, one eastbound at Halleck Ridge (west of WY-72), the other westbound and east of WY-13.

kphoger

Quote from: froggie on December 12, 2018, 08:57:14 AM

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2018, 07:29:16 PM

What I found noteworthy of that design is that the roundabouts are located at the adjacent frontage roads, so that any traffic "turning left" to/from I-70 must go to that frontage road roundabout to "U-turn".

I noticed the displaced location of the roundabouts too, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to call those cross-streets "frontage roads".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MikieTimT

Quote from: froggie on December 12, 2018, 08:57:14 AM

Quote from: kphogerI-49 Missouri—Arkansas Connector:  $25,000 (peanuts) of $134.5 million

You must've read that wrong.  The fact sheet says $25 million was awarded to this one.

And that should be enough to complete the BVB by 2023.  It's been a long time coming!

sparker

From the preliminary info I've seen, the CA 108 Modesto bypass will eventually provide a "shortcut" west to CA 99 in the north part of the city; it's likely CA 219 will be relinquished once this project is fully completed.  But there's still no action on the long-on-the-books south CA 108 extension to I-5; an actual working corridor there will likely never be formally adopted, much less developed.

triplemultiplex

Yes, a few more miles of freeway conversion for WI 29.
See you in hell, "J-turns"!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ARMOURERERIC

Will the PA 228 project align the two intersections at PA 8?

froggie

^ From what I can tell, the answer is no.

Gnutella

GA 316 at GA 11 needs an interchange in the worst way. The only intersection on the rural segment of GA 316 that had worse delays was at GA 81, and GDOT is currently constructing an interchange there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.