News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Corridor H

Started by CanesFan27, September 20, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bitmapped

Quote from: sparker on December 18, 2018, 09:17:03 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on December 18, 2018, 07:15:40 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on December 18, 2018, 05:23:05 PM
I'm more interested in those neat Corridor H mile markers. Has that H shield ever been seen on a standalone sign?

No. The shield is only used on the ARC corridor mile markers.

The pre-I-22 US 78 blue-on-white shields featuring "Corridor X" in the surrounding field were actually quite striking; has any other ARC's corridor's route shielding contained corridor ID along with the route number like that example?   One would think that a high-visibility corridor project with significant new-terrain mileage like H would have done something similar with their US 48 signage. 

This style of signage is used on all ARC corridors in West Virginia.

seicer

It's more reflective in how West Virginia classifies this highway: not as US 48, or a regular expressway, but as Corridor H, a road type by itself. The mileage is indicative of Corridor H's, not US 48. I'm not aware of other states doing this.

Roadsguy

Quote from: seicer on December 18, 2018, 10:19:33 PM
The mileage is indicative of Corridor H's, not US 48.

Won't US 48 and Corridor H be completely the same when it's finished?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

SP Cook

Quote from: seicer on December 18, 2018, 10:19:33 PM
It's more reflective in how West Virginia classifies this highway: not as US 48, or a regular expressway, but as Corridor H, a road type by itself. The mileage is indicative of Corridor H's, not US 48. I'm not aware of other states doing this.

Correct.  WV DOH (remember in WV "county route" is just a name for a road, still under state control, there are no county road departments, meaning a WV DOH county superintendent has a lot of responsibility.

So the DOH chain of command is, sort of, State, District, County.  But the county only has responsibility for all the other roads.  Parallel to the County is an "Expressway Orginization" with its own garage and equipment which operates as a sort of quasi-county.

The Expressway Orginizations will be named "Interstate (number) , Section (number)" or "Corridor (letter), Section (number)".  With the borders ending at a specific mile post, not at a county line.  This is the reason for the blue mile posts.  In house, and to a great degree in the general public, Corridor roads are always "Corridor *" never their US route number. 

As the state moves past the ARC allocation, US 35 now has a "US 35 Expressway Orginization" and, IIRC, WV 9 and US 340 (which have similar mile posts, but using the state or US shield in place of the state outline) share a "Eastern Panhandle Expressway Orginization".

hbelkins

I've always advocated that the ADHS corridors should have their own separate logo signage to indicate where the corridor moves from one numbered route to another (as does Corridor J on its run from Chattanooga to London). It could be based on the ARC logo. If I had Photoshop skills, I'd design the sign myself.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

I agree.  Although the ARC map is just a hard to decipher blob to most people.  I would not mind just a plain white square as:

APPALACHIAN

H

CORRIDOR

perhaps with a blue outline and letters.

seicer

Isn't it technically (in West Virginia) the Robert C. Byrd Appalachian Highway System? (I think there was a sign out there with that.) So wouldn't a shield have Robert C. Byrd's face in the background, with H in the center? :D

SP Cook

Among the sweet ironies of fate is the fact that of the 1000 things the old fake and narcissist named for himself, the general public in common use uses exactly none of them in common ordinary language.  No on would say "RC Byrd Appalachian Highway System" or "RC Byrd Locks and Dam" or RC Byrd anything.  People just say the generic name for it, just like most people call it the "Peach Bowl" and not the "Chik-fil-a Peach Bowl".  Even the locals around the Robert C. Byrd High School just say "RCB High" and Marshall University students call the "RC Byrd Biotechnology Science Center" the "biotech building".

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on December 19, 2018, 11:38:34 AM
Isn't it technically (in West Virginia) the Robert C. Byrd Appalachian Highway System? (I think there was a sign out there with that.) So wouldn't a shield have Robert C. Byrd's face in the background, with H in the center? :D

The US 33 portion of Corridor H is the Robert C. Byrd Expressway on the Robert C. Byrd Appalachian Highway System.

Also, US 22 is the Robert C. Byrd Freeway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sparker

Just a white picture of a generic bird ("byrd") with the corridor designation inside on a blue background, with "Appalachian" above and "Corridor" below.  Somehow I don't think the phonetic spelling would make much of a difference to anyone but direct descendants! ;-)

plain

Maybe they can bring back the old WV Tpk shape and use that for the corridors. At least the signs would be distinctive. Or maybe just white on blue like US 78 in Alabama was before I-22 became signed, even though I know none of the corridors are freeways.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Beltway

Quote from: sparker on December 19, 2018, 05:59:28 PM
Just a white picture of a generic bird ("byrd") with the corridor designation inside on a blue background, with "Appalachian" above and "Corridor" below.  Somehow I don't think the phonetic spelling would make much of a difference to anyone but direct descendants! ;-)

What kind of byrd would we recommend ... a buzzard?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sparker

Quote from: plain on January 08, 2019, 10:57:25 AM
Maybe they can bring back the old WV Tpk shape and use that for the corridors. At least the signs would be distinctive. Or maybe just white on blue like US 78 in Alabama was before I-22 became signed, even though I know none of the corridors are freeways.

I've always thought the white/blue signage seen on Corridor X/US 78/AL 4 (pre-I-22) was one of the most striking and attractive schemes I'd seen for specifying a specific road classification.  I'd heartily recommend it for general use on all non-Interstate ARC corridors -- including WV.  Such US 48 signage would really "pop" along Corridor "H".  But obviously the cost of deploying all that signage over 20+ corridors may be prohibitive, so despite its appropriateness, it's unlikely to happen without a concerted (and likely subsidized) effort to do so.

LeftyJR

Anything new happening on Corridor H this spring?

1995hoo

Quote from: Beltway on January 08, 2019, 11:16:06 AM

A byrd sign should be used for TOTSOs because the sign can emphasize the need to turn! Turn! Turn!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sparker

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 07, 2019, 03:02:16 PM

A byrd sign should be used for TOTSOs because the sign can emphasize the need to turn! Turn! Turn!

And one of the APL BGS' should use "Roger" and the other "Jim" so McGuinn can choose which namesake freeway on which to travel at any particular time! 

1995hoo

Quote from: sparker on May 07, 2019, 06:25:50 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 07, 2019, 03:02:16 PM

And one of the APL BGS' should use "Roger" and the other "Jim" so McGuinn can choose which namesake freeway on which to travel at any particular time! 

Once he gets back from Rio, anyway.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ARMOURERERIC

Some of the grade accents do leave you thinking you are 8 miles high.

Starfighterace

Quote from: LeftyJR on May 07, 2019, 06:29:44 AM

I drove thru in early April. Bridge Piers were up where it crosses 219 south of Parsons. Nothing changed where 219 at Kerns ends. One would think they would be cutting trees and moving dirt at this section. You can see from 219 between Montrose and Kerns where dirt is being moved and trees cut. Just not much to see as the route is a bit far from the current 219 alignment. Not sure how the Interchange with WV72 is progressing west of Parsons. Didn't go out that way.

Bitmapped

Quote from: Starfighterace on May 08, 2019, 09:31:26 AM

I drove thru in early April. Bridge Piers were up where it crosses 219 south of Parsons. Nothing changed where 219 at Kerns ends. One would think they would be cutting trees and moving dirt at this section. You can see from 219 between Montrose and Kerns where dirt is being moved and trees cut. Just not much to see as the route is a bit far from the current 219 alignment. Not sure how the Interchange with WV72 is progressing west of Parsons. Didn't go out that way.

The part up to the WV 72 interchange doesn't go out to bid until later this month.

machpost

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Starfighterace on May 08, 2019, 09:31:26 AM

Saw that bridge in April, and the piers imply that this bridge that will carry Corridor H over the "old" 219 and Haddix Run may be the highest bridge yet on West Virginia's part of the project, it looks to be even higher than the structure that carries Corridor H over the Lost River in Hardy County.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Bitmapped

I drove US 219 and WV 72 through the construction area today. There is no visible construction at the current end of Corridor H at Kerens, although the stub end is full of construction equipment, offices, and staging.

I got caught in a torrential downpour near the Randolph/Tucker county line. The area where Corridor H will cross US 219 was a mess due to the storm - lots of sediment-filled water running across the old road. There's no sign of any construction from WV 72 north of Parsons.

seicer

I see construction being delayed because of the constant rainfall. 2019 will most likely break the 2018 record for many areas.

seicer

An informal workshop is being held about updates to Corridor H, which now includes a truck bypass of Thomas: Handout

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.