News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Former names you use without meaning to

Started by Pete from Boston, February 26, 2015, 01:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: 1 on September 22, 2022, 09:45:19 AM
Quote from: kirbykart on September 22, 2022, 09:40:04 AM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 07, 2022, 02:39:46 PM
Tappan Zee Bridge across the Hudson River. Now it's the Gov. Mario M Cuomo Bridge.
Is there a single person on Earth who actually calls it the Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge?

I don't think so, but "Cuomo Bridge" is enough to count as the new name and be unambiguous.

Someone in the "topics in 2064" thread mentioned a fictional extension of I-287 across Long Island Sound named after Andrew Cuomo, but this is less likely now because naming something after someone who resigned in a scandal is uncommon. Even if that did happen, they would be distinguished as "Mario Cuomo Bridge" and "Andrew Cuomo Bridge", no title, no middle initial.
I've been referring to it as "the GMCB" as of late.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mgk920

In that light, For the currently indeterminate future, the National League Milwaukee Brewers will be playing their home games at Miller Park.

:cool:
:cheers:

Mike

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on September 22, 2022, 12:53:13 PM
Tappan Zee Bridge across the Hudson River. Now it's the Gov. Mario M Cuomo Bridge.
Is there a single person on Earth who actually calls it the Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge?

I don't think so, but "Cuomo Bridge" is enough to count as the new name and be unambiguous.

Someone in the "topics in 2064" thread mentioned a fictional extension of I-287 across Long Island Sound named after Andrew Cuomo, but this is less likely now because naming something after someone who resigned in a scandal is uncommon. Even if that did happen, they would be distinguished as "Mario Cuomo Bridge" and "Andrew Cuomo Bridge", no title, no middle initial.

GMC Bridge is easy to remember, at least.

roadman65

I will always refer to Denali as Mount McKinley.  When I say this its not out of disrespect for the former name either.  I know it got rebranded to its original name as recent politicians have been thinking the generations of the 20th century were disrespectful (according to some in DC) and though they would correct a past error, but because its hard to let go of old names.  Though in my heart its a mountain peak adored by many generations past and to come.

Its like I refer to the NY Thruway as  The Thruway whether its I-87 or I-90.  It don't mean I'm being disrespectful to the two route numbers or that I refuse to call them by what they are, its just the thing to call it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

Quote from: webny99 on September 22, 2022, 06:12:15 PM
Quote from: vdeane on September 22, 2022, 12:53:13 PM

GMC Bridge is easy to remember, at least.
Sounds more like a corporate name, as if the truck company sponsored it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

frankenroad

Quote from: busman_49 on March 22, 2016, 03:27:20 PM
The Cleveland Indians' stadium will always be Jacob's Field to me (as opposed to its current moniker, Progressive Field).  For that matter, The "Q" will always be the Gund Arena for me.

But what do you call the place the Guardians play??  :-D
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Flint1979

We have two hospitals in Saginaw that merged several years ago, probably 20 years ago. They are called Covenant Cooper and Covenant Harrison (due to the name of the streets they are on, one on Cooper and one on Harrison). Covenant Cooper used to be called St. Lukes Hospital and Covenant Harrison used to be called Saginaw General Hospital. I still call both by their original names.

ibthebigd

Heinz Field Pittsburgh
Staples Center LA
Deer Creek Amphitheater Indianapolis area

SM-G996U

KCRoadFan

I live in KC. I refer to the amphitheater in Bonner Springs (which seems to have a new corporate name every couple years) as Sandstone.

Also, I often call T-Mobile Center Sprint Center, and I sometimes call Kauffman Stadium Royals Stadium. In addition, I often refer to I-49 in Missouri as Highway 71 (which I'm sure most locals still do).

Across the state in St. Louis, I sometimes refer to I-64 as Highway 40.

kkt

Yes, but they all have the last name Cuomo.

roadman65

Quote from: kkt on September 24, 2022, 10:40:59 AM

Yes, but they all have the last name Cuomo.

Does anyone call the RFK bridge by that or still refer to it as the Triborough Bridge?

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

In Kissimmee, FL the road Boggy Creek Road parts renamed as Simpson and Fortune Roads to avoid ambiguity, when I drive down the Simpson Part I feel that I'm driving Boggy Creek Road. Don't discuss the road with others, but to me it's still the old.

Yet nearby when Bermuda Avenue was renamed John Young Parkway, I managed to get used to it real quickly being John Young existed in nearby Orange County had the name on the same road across the line from Kissimmee for years.

In Orange County, FL the residents in south part of the county were already calling Old Dixie Highway ( this too was long before the SC Church shooting made the old south controversial) as Orange Avenue before county commissioners voted to make Old Dixie as Orange to keep continuity.   The thing was Orange Avenue and Old Dixie Highway were never  a continuous alignment in the first place. Old Dixie defaulted to Central Florida Parkway and Orange defaulted into Whetherbee Road. You had only Zell Drive to connect what would become the two discontinued segments.  Now since the county widened and realigned Orange Avenue over the CSX Rail Line now the two parts are continuous from Osceola Parkway in Kissimmee to Fairbanks Avenue in Winter Park minus two one way segments that are SB only.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.