2020 Ohio Roadmeet - Cincinnati 3

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, August 02, 2019, 11:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on August 06, 2019, 10:53:03 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on August 06, 2019, 10:09:24 PM
Is June 6 good? What about May 30?

I know that's a long way off, but there'll be a lot of daylight then.

We'll force A.J's hand. Lets go with May 30
(May 30th is one of the date options for his city meet)

Before I even saw this comment, I was actually thinking that, due to the number of meets that are tentatively being planned for the April-May-June time frame next year (a couple of which weren't announced until after I made the announcement and created my date poll for the Outer Banks meet), perhaps it's not appropriate for me to leave my poll open until October 1. The last I checked, May 30 was in second place with several votes behind April 25. I'll mention in that thread that I'm considering changing my mind about leaving the poll open so long... in light of these new announcements. Spring seems to be quite a popular time of year for road meets.
-A.J. from Michigan

bandit957

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 07, 2019, 06:59:10 AM
Before I even saw this comment, I was actually thinking that, due to the number of meets that are tentatively being planned for the April-May-June time frame next year (a couple of which weren't announced until after I made the announcement and created my date poll for the Outer Banks meet), perhaps it's not appropriate for me to leave my poll open until October 1. The last I checked, May 30 was in second place with several votes behind April 25. I'll mention in that thread that I'm considering changing my mind about leaving the poll open so long... in light of these new announcements. Spring seems to be quite a popular time of year for road meets.

April in North Carolina is probably warmer than May in Cincinnati.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

Since I took charge of the Cincinnati meet, I don't want to spoil anyone's plans if they insisted on having a meet on one of the days I proposed for Cincinnati. I'm sort of flexible about Cincinnati. I think daylight and good weather are pluses, but I just don't want to wait too long. If we wait until late summer, that's a whole year from now.

I know rain is something we can't predict at all this far in advance.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: bandit957 on August 07, 2019, 10:15:08 AM
Since I took charge of the Cincinnati meet, I don't want to spoil anyone's plans if they insisted on having a meet on one of the days I proposed for Cincinnati.

No worries, Tim. May 30 is several votes behind the leading date (April 25) in my poll for the Outer Banks meet. It's highly unlikely that I'll pick May 30 as the date for Outer Banks. I'm realizing that keeping a date poll open for a long time may not be appropriate... especially in such a popular time frame for hosting road meets. I want to be fair to other people who are planning meets as well.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Polls are nice, but in the end, the host needs to go with the date that works best for him or her. I did a poll for my last Pikeville meet, and two of the dates were really close in the number of votes. In the end, I went with the date that was most convenient for me. That made it possible for some people to attend, but shut some others out from attending, since several found that of the two leading dates, one worked and one didn't.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Sadly, I'm pretty sure the US 50 cutouts in Mariemont are both gone. The westbound one definitely is. Also, the state name I-75 shields in Lockland are gone too. So is the "JUNCTION US 27-52" sign northeast of downtown.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on August 07, 2019, 03:26:40 PM
Polls are nice, but in the end, the host needs to go with the date that works best for him or her.

Well of course... that goes without saying. I can't imagine that the host will include dates in the poll that won't work for him or her. Why wouldn't the host want to solicit input from others on the date if multiple dates work equally for him or her? It can help him or her to make the best decision possible on when the meet should happen. For my "city meets", I can't imagine NOT creating a poll because I'm purposely hosting these gatherings in places I'm not familiar with. If it weren't for my Outer Banks date poll, I could have, in theory, picked a really bad date for that meet... not thinking about tourist season and aspects of the area that I'm not familiar with.

I can imagine a host choosing not to do this if they know they have an otherwise busy schedule around that time of year and one, and only one, date will work for them. But if multiple dates will work, why not ask others for input as a way of possibly maximizing the number of attendees who can come? As I'm thinking this through though, I'm wondering if perhaps the hosts who don't create date polls are not intentionally trying to maximize the number of attendees... or are subconsciously trying to minimize that number?
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 07, 2019, 08:32:03 PM
Polls are nice, but in the end, the host needs to go with the date that works best for him or her.

Well of course... that goes without saying. I can't imagine that the host will include dates in the poll that won't work for him or her. Why wouldn't the host want to solicit input from others on the date if multiple dates work equally for him or her? It can help him or her to make the best decision possible on when the meet should happen. For my "city meets", I can't imagine NOT creating a poll because I'm purposely hosting these gatherings in places I'm not familiar with. If it weren't for my Outer Banks date poll, I could have, in theory, picked a really bad date for that meet... not thinking about tourist season and aspects of the area that I'm not familiar with.

I can imagine a host choosing not to do this if they know they have an otherwise busy schedule around that time of year and one, and only one, date will work for them. But if multiple dates will work, why not ask others for input as a way of possibly maximizing the number of attendees who can come? As I'm thinking this through though, I'm wondering if perhaps the hosts who don't create date polls are not intentionally trying to maximize the number of attendees... or are subconsciously trying to minimize that number?

I think you're overthinking.  :-D

They probably only have a single date they can do the meet, so they just go ahead and set it for that date and whomever can make it, makes it.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on August 08, 2019, 07:58:24 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 07, 2019, 08:32:03 PM

I think you're overthinking.  :-D

Yeah probably. I have a tendency of doing that sometimes. LOL

Quote from: hbelkins on August 08, 2019, 07:58:24 PM
They probably only have a single date they can do the meet, so they just go ahead and set it for that date and whomever can make it, makes it.

Makes sense. But I still think that, if multiple dates work for the host, why not create a poll and solicit feedback on the date?
-A.J. from Michigan

bandit957

One concern is that people might play games with the polls.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: bandit957 on August 08, 2019, 10:22:32 PM

What kinds of games?
-A.J. from Michigan

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bandit957

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 09, 2019, 04:57:58 AM

What kinds of games?

People might vote for weird options just to sabotage the poll.

Brandon

Quote from: bandit957 on August 09, 2019, 09:16:47 AM

What kinds of games?

Only if you decide to put said weird options in the poll in the first place.  You can control the poll by only presenting the options you want.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Brandon on August 09, 2019, 09:19:12 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on August 09, 2019, 09:16:47 AM

What kinds of games?

Only if you decide to put said weird options in the poll in the first place.  You can control the poll by only presenting the options you want.

Brandon's exactly right.
-A.J. from Michigan

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I haven't bothered with using polls for the previous 3 meets I hosted.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jpi

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

csw

Responding to this thread so I can get updates on it. I have no idea what my schedule will look like in May but if I am free I'm interested in attending.

hbelkins

Actually, wouldn't this be the fourth Cincy meet? Pete Jenior hosted two (one at Buckhead and one at Rookwood Pottery) and Jeremy Moses hosted one.

frankenroad

Quote from: bandit957 on August 05, 2019, 05:24:28 PM
I've been thinking about this today, and I think I can do this. I'm thinking sometime in the middle of next year, but probably not winter.

Sorry to be late to the game as I have been overseas for the last two weeks, but I'll be glad to assist in any way you need.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on August 14, 2019, 12:07:04 PM
Actually, wouldn't this be the fourth Cincy meet? Pete Jenior hosted two (one at Buckhead and one at Rookwood Pottery) and Jeremy Moses hosted one.

This is the second. I don't count the 2 earlier ones that were held at a "secret" location because the Sesame Street Krew was being a bunch of crybabies.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on August 14, 2019, 12:07:04 PM
I'd say this one coming would be the "Third Cincy Roadmeet." Pete's second meet was more of a mini-meet (only attendees were Pete, you, me, and Brian Reynolds) focusing on the Cincy Sign museum.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

bandit957

It's official! The date for the Cincinnati roadmeet is set for Saturday, May 30, 2020! Be there or be square!

A Facebook page for this meet looms.

bandit957

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.