Greensboro, NC, Mini Meet - November 14, 2020

Started by csw, July 21, 2020, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What date should the Greensboro meet be held?

Saturday, October 31, 2020
0 (0%)
Saturday, November 7, 2020
3 (27.3%)
Saturday, November 14, 2020
6 (54.5%)
Saturday, November 21, 2020
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

csw

As mentioned in the 2020 meets thread, I have been considering holding a Greensboro, NC, area meet. After exploring the area a bit this weekend, I am officially announcing that the meet will go ahead.

Where: Fisher Park parking area, 300 Fisher Park, Greensboro, NC 27401
When: 12:00 EST, November 14, 2020. I will be there by 11:30 at the latest, and we'll try to start the tour no later than 12:15 or so.
How: Please bring and wear a mask at all times you are around other meet attendees. Carpool with other attendees at your own risk. Eat lunch before you come or bring lunch to Fisher Park if you'd like - there will be no lunch meeting beforehand. Use common sense in terms of your state's travel restrictions.

MEET ITINERARY AS OF OCTOBER 14

I have a rough itinerary put together already, but will be fine-tuning it and releasing it later. For now, I just want to gauge interest. Potential sights include:

• The newest completed sections of I-73 and I-840 in and north of Greensboro.
  • Construction progress on the final segments of I-840 on the north side of Greensboro.
  • The US 64 bypass of Asheboro, scheduled to be completed in September. (This will probably be optional, since Asheboro is a solid 25 miles south of Greensboro.)
  • The multitude of boulevards and urban interchanges throughout Greensoro.
North Carolina is currently a hotspot for Covid-19, so I think it's safe to assume it will still be an issue in November. Thus, this meet will likely be a bring-your-own-lunch, socially distanced, mask-wearing affair. More details will be determined once the date comes closer.

Please let me know if you have any comments, concerns, questions, or suggestions - this will be my first meet host, so I'd like to make it a good one.

dfilpus

It would be best to avoid Halloween or the Saturday before Thanksgiving.

Add to option list the new section of Future I-74 in Winston-Salem, which is 20 miles west of Greensboro.

A.J. Bertin

I'm very interested as long as I can swing it.  I voted for November 14 because it's far enough away to be a good buffer after a long-distance road meet I'm attending a month before this (Kansas City) and because it's still early enough in November that the likelihood of winter weather affecting my travel will be low.  If this meet happens on November 7 or 21, I might still be able to make it despite them not being my first choice, but if October 31 happens to be the date, I probably won't be able to make it.
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Interest but no preference, for now.

Takumi

I’m cautiously interested. This would give me a chance to clinch US 311, and I haven’t explored Greensboro itself since high school. Under normal circumstances I’d recommend Elizabeth’s Pizza, but that’s obviously moot for now so Sheetz it likely is.

I can’t remember much of interest road-wise that was there 20 years ago, but I distinctly remember some signage remnants of US 421’s old alignment of Market Street in the Colfax area. Greenout and such. I’d be surprised if it’s still there.

ETA: The Goog shows a “421 Market & Grill” in the area to this day, but that’s it. The exit to Colfax off 421 looks like it’s been completely revamped since I was last there.

any green 40 signage still around?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

I'd vote for the first two options, mainly because they're still on daylight time, which means an hour more of daylight for exploring unless you want to move the start time up an hour for the last two options.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

csw

Quote from: Takumi on July 21, 2020, 09:46:16 PM
Not that I know of in Greensboro - but my experience isn't definitive. There are still plenty of Green 40 shields in Winston-Salem, seeing as it was only decommissioned earlier this year. From what I can tell, all references to NC 6 were removed a few years ago as well. Since that's in the vicinity of I-40, I'd wager there's not anything left of Green 40 either.

As far as other sights in the rest of the triad go, there's probably enough of note to hold a completely separate meet only for Winston-Salem. However, this meet will just deal with Greensboro (and maybe Asheboro), just to keep it simple. I'll probably include a quick overview of sights to be seen in Winston-Salem and High Point with the meet itinerary just in case people want to tour those on their own time before or after.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: csw on July 26, 2020, 07:16:06 PM
As far as other sights in the rest of the triad go, there's probably enough of note to hold a completely separate meet only for Winston-Salem. However, this meet will just deal with Greensboro (and maybe Asheboro), just to keep it simple.

Simple is good!
-A.J. from Michigan

Takumi

Quote from: csw on July 26, 2020, 07:16:06 PM
Quote from: Takumi on July 21, 2020, 09:46:16 PM
Not that I know of in Greensboro - but my experience isn't definitive. There are still plenty of Green 40 shields in Winston-Salem, seeing as it was only decommissioned earlier this year. From what I can tell, all references to NC 6 were removed a few years ago as well. Since that's in the vicinity of I-40, I'd wager there's not anything left of Green 40 either.

As far as other sights in the rest of the triad go, there's probably enough of note to hold a completely separate meet only for Winston-Salem. However, this meet will just deal with Greensboro (and maybe Asheboro), just to keep it simple. I'll probably include a quick overview of sights to be seen in Winston-Salem and High Point with the meet itinerary just in case people want to tour those on their own time before or after.
Yeah, I meant the Forsyth one. I figure it's all long gone from Greensboro. Sometimes I forget it was even there in the first place!

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Quote from: Alps on July 21, 2020, 05:35:09 PM
Interest but no preference, for now.
Upgraded to definite attendance assuming this is still happening. When can we pick a weekend?

csw

I was hoping a few more votes would trickle in but it seems we have a winner - November 14th. Go ahead and mark that date on your calendar.

I've been working on the itinerary and will hopefully have it up in a few weeks. As of now it looks like maybe a 2-3 hour tour, so there would be enough time for people to head over to Winston-Salem, check out more of Greensboro, or head home early afterwards.

74/171FAN

I am interested.  I will not say definite until October at the earliest though.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

Quote from: csw on August 20, 2020, 11:27:29 AM
I was hoping a few more votes would trickle in but it seems we have a winner - November 14th. Go ahead and mark that date on your calendar.

I've been working on the itinerary and will hopefully have it up in a few weeks. As of now it looks like maybe a 2-3 hour tour, so there would be enough time for people to head over to Winston-Salem, check out more of Greensboro, or head home early afterwards.
I suggest making it more of a 3-4 hour tour, but do as you please.

Takumi

Not saying I'm definitely in yet, as my new job still encompasses weekends, but probably.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

mattpedersen

I'm going to try to make this one.

codyg1985

I will throw my hat into the ring as a maybe. It depends on whether my wife has off that weekend.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

mattpedersen

I'm officially in. I'm going to stay with a retired NCHP trooper friend of mine in Cary NC. I might even convince him to come along.

Alps

Quote from: mattpedersen on September 07, 2020, 12:07:59 PM
I'm officially in. I'm going to stay with a retired NCHP trooper friend of mine in Cary NC. I might even convince him to come along.
As long as you don't bring any active ones. ;-)

wriddle082

I'm out.  That will be the end of the week that I will be visiting my family in KY and TN.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

74/171FAN

Quote from: LM117 on September 09, 2020, 03:06:17 AM
The first section of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway opened last Saturday if anyone is interested.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-09-04-winston-salem-northern-beltway-opens.aspx

I was already planning to drive it myself if I come.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Takumi

Still unknown, but within a reasonable notice for me to request the day/weekend off.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Nikolai

codyg1985

I am 90% sure that I will be in attendance.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

csw

Time for an update.

I made my last trip down to Greensboro on Saturday to check things out. This will be more of a "see-as-you-go" meet than a "stop-and-see" meet since a large portion of the itinerary is driving new roads and experiencing Greensboro's many funky boulevards. The few active construction projects or old alignments aren't very stop-friendly (i.e. minimal parking or access), so the two stops will be more historical sights than road-related sights.

I didn't make it down to Asheboro, but I don't think the bypass is open yet - the NCDOT site claims it will be done in September, but they are running out of time to make that a reality. It looks like the finish date has been pushed back before, so that may or may not end up being included in the meet.

I'll try to get the itinerary polished and posted in the next week or two. I will be pretty busy in the weeks leading up to the meet, so I may be slow to respond to any questions.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.