AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Ending of Yahoo groups  (Read 4047 times)

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: Today at 08:08:03 PM
Ending of Yahoo groups
« on: October 20, 2019, 04:05:32 PM »

We don't use often Yahoo Groups a lot but I spotted that info who might be worth to share.
https://betanews.com/2019/10/17/yahoo-groups-closure/

A piece of internet history is being consigned to the rubbish heap. Yahoo has announced that the once-popular Yahoo Groups service is being closed down later this month.

More than this, the huge amount of information and exchanges that have been uploaded will not be archived. Before the end of the year, all Yahoo Groups content will be permanently wiped out -- so if there's anything you want to keep, you'll have to act swiftly.

When October 28 rolls around, it will no longer be possible to upload content to Yahoo Groups. Less than two months later -- on December 14 -- Yahoo will delete all previously posted content. In making the announcement, Yahoo lists exactly what will be removed: Files, Polls, Links, Photos, Folders, Calendar, Database, Attachments, Conversations, Email Updates, Message Digest, and Message History.

There are no plans to archive content, so you'll have to manually save anything you want to keep.

Edit: Seem then an alternative I spotted who could host our old Yahoo groups called Groups.Io  https://groups.io
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 04:18:27 PM by Stephane Dumas »

kalvado

• Last Login: Today at 08:03:25 PM
Re: Ending of Yahoo groups
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 07:50:41 PM »

They should just put entire Yahoo out if misery and get done with it.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 11:33:06 AM »

I had not seen this, and as the owner of the venerable "Roadgeek" group, they have sent out no notice that Yahoo Groups are closing down.

Someone resurrected Kik Messenger, though, so you never know. I just wonder if the Roadgeek group would be worth saving? Traffic has slowed way down there lately.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 10:36:45 PM
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 11:51:03 AM »

I had not seen this, and as the owner of the venerable "Roadgeek" group, they have sent out no notice that Yahoo Groups are closing down.

Really?  Simply as a member of that group I was sent the email Stephane referred to.

roadman

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 12:52:55 PM
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 12:22:45 PM »

The administrators of most Yahoo groups I'm active in saw the writing on the wall a couple of years ago and transitioned over to groups.io shortly thereafter.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 10:38:25 AM »

Really?  Simply as a member of that group I was sent the email Stephane referred to.

After I saw his post and sent an admin email to the group yesterday?  :D

If something got sent prior to that, I never got it.

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: February 17, 2020, 10:23:20 PM
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 11:09:33 AM »

And nothing of value was lost.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Mad man with a camera

• Last Login: April 06, 2023, 10:39:02 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 05:01:11 PM »

The administrators of most Yahoo groups I'm active in saw the writing on the wall a couple of years ago and transitioned over to groups.io shortly thereafter.

There's a Route 66 Yahoo Group I'm on and they all seem to be hand wringing over this closure. There are over a dozen Fakebook groups, but each has a different focus.  There seems to be massive resistance to Google Groups or any other e-group list.  Being exclusively on Fakebook, IMO, is discriminatory against those who don't like it.  Yet some people prefer it to e-group lists.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NJRoadfan

• Last Login: Today at 10:30:29 PM
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 07:37:55 PM »

Folks, if you are a member of restricted groups, please attempt to archive its contents. Info at the link below.

https://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Yahoo!_Groups

I know northeastroads had a ton of content over the years and it would be a shame if it gets lost.

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 07:40:24 PM »

My local SCA group has a Yahoo presence, but no one seems concerned so "NMP"

nexus73

• Last Login: Today at 09:05:54 AM
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 12:50:54 AM »

One Yahoo group I am on deals with an old TV show.  Just a couple days ago a post was made mentioning a limited to 2000 CD's soundtrack release was being done.  Was that important to me?  You bet your bippy! 

However since most groups are overrun with spam, it seems like Yahoo groups has run its course. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 08:46:07 AM »

One Yahoo group I am on deals with an old TV show.  Just a couple days ago a post was made mentioning a limited to 2000 CD's soundtrack release was being done.  Was that important to me?  You bet your bippy! 

However since most groups are overrun with spam, it seems like Yahoo groups has run its course. 

Rick

No, Rick, that's "you bet your sweet bippy"  ;)

formulanone

• latest clinch

• Last Login: Today at 09:14:36 PM
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 11:17:51 AM »

Being exclusively on Fakebook, IMO, is discriminatory against those who don't like it.  Yet some people prefer it to e-group lists.

A dedicated forum is where it's at. Someone has to pay for hosting and upkeep, but the moment the owner no longer cares and the hosting bills don't get paid, the party's over.

Folks may not want to be on Facebook, but you don't have to use it for anything other than looking for the one or two groups you'd like to be a part of. All it asks for is an email and you can make up whatever name you want, and choose how invisible you'd like to be.

Of course, it also does some truly obnoxious features like suggesting useless groups, and nagging you to follow people who just seek more followers. Come to think of it, I think I'm not making a terribly good case for FB...

Come to think of it, hearing that Yahoo Groups will just become an e-mail group sounds like a technological step backwards.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 11:24:39 AM by formulanone »

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 10:33:07 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 07:20:17 PM »

Folks may not want to be on Facebook, but you don't have to use it for anything other than looking for the one or two groups you'd like to be a part of. All it asks for is an email and you can make up whatever name you want, and choose how invisible you'd like to be.

When you're signed into Facebook it plants a tracking cookie in your browser that feeds information about your Internet usage history to them so they can serve you targeted advertising. If you're signed in on your phone this can even include GPS data. Not everyone is ok with this.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 07:42:44 PM »

When you're signed into Facebook it plants a tracking cookie in your browser that feeds information about your Internet usage history to them so they can serve you targeted advertising. If you're signed in on your phone this can even include GPS data. Not everyone is ok with this.

In terms of the desktop, just about every site does that to track your browsing and feed you ads. Private browsing is a pretty darn good way to stop that. Blocking cookies from certain sites (such as FB) also works well. You just have to sign in every time you open the browser. And I'm not addicted enough to any groups to need to visit them constantly on a mobile device. There are ways around Facebook's (or any other site's) intrusiveness. I've been blocking and/or clearing cookies since I first learned what they were, in my Netscape Navigator days.

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 10:33:07 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 10:28:31 PM »

In terms of the desktop, just about every site does that to track your browsing and feed you ads. Private browsing is a pretty darn good way to stop that. Blocking cookies from certain sites (such as FB) also works well. You just have to sign in every time you open the browser. And I'm not addicted enough to any groups to need to visit them constantly on a mobile device. There are ways around Facebook's (or any other site's) intrusiveness. I've been blocking and/or clearing cookies since I first learned what they were, in my Netscape Navigator days.

Due to the way all of this is used, most sites actually piggyback off of Facebook's cookies. Any cookies a site sets itself are likely to see how you use the site itself (statistical information about which pages you visit, etc. to be used for improving the site), enable things like logins and session data (like shopping carts). My site-specific cookies don't care what other websites you visit because I don't care if you get on calrog.com or whatever after my site.

Facebook (and Google) tracking cookies, however, record when you visit any site that is enabled to ping the cookie, because those websites can then advertise on Facebook to people that have already visited the site and therefore are more likely to be interested in their products.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 07:09:32 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 10:44:07 AM »

I just decided to post a message to the FL Roads group and Northeastroads group, and get them to move their stuff to other image sharing sites. I've got to do that with other Yahoo Groups I'm involved with too.

D-Dey65

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 04:05:17 PM »

I also wanted to edit a lot of the dates on the pictures before I saved them, and Yahoo isn't letting me do that.

D-Dey65

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 08:45:59 AM »

They're all lost. Unfortunately, with all the Christmas shopping and family gatherings I wasn't able to retrieve any of mine. I'm going to prepare to leave groups that only have pics.

UPDATE: I can't even unsubscribe to any groups, because every time I click on the e-mail addresses, it goes to Microsoft's Mail App.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 08:55:04 AM by D-Dey65 »

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: Today at 08:08:03 PM
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 08:25:48 PM »

A little bump, Yahoo groups will be completely shut down on December 15, 2020. https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN35505.html?impressions=true
besides Groups.io then I mentionned early, they also mentionned Nextdoor. https://ca.nextdoor.com

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 08:40:05 PM »

A little bump, Yahoo groups will be completely shut down on December 15, 2020. https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN35505.html?impressions=true
besides Groups.io then I mentionned early, they also mentionned Nextdoor. https://ca.nextdoor.com

I'm on Nextdoor. It's mostly used around here for Lost and Found pets, shaming burglars, or announcing church rummage sales.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.