AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: LGBT+ Roadgeeks  (Read 11377 times)

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
Re: Re: Re: LGBT+ Roadgeeks
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2020, 06:18:03 PM »

An ally is part of the LGBTQ+ group (hence the A in some of the extended abbreviations) despite being straight. I support the group, but I am not an ally as I don't identify as being part of the group.
The A stands, usually, for asexual or aromantic (although I've heard it stand for agender too). It does not stand for ally. Being an ally just means someone who supports the rights of LGBTQ+ people, it does not mean that you are a part of that community. It's the same thing as a racial justice ally - supporting the rights of non-white people doesn't make you a person of color.

My first thought upon a cursory reading of this was, "I've heard of people who have 'gaydar' before, but there are people who can tell by smell?" But that would be aromatic, not aromantic.  :-D

BTW, "aromantic" was flagged as a misspelling by my browser.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Desert Man

• Last Login: May 14, 2021, 12:51:19 PM
Re: LGBT+ Roadgeeks
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2020, 08:32:46 PM »

Talk about my ability to play the ID pol (identity politics) card, I'm in 3 communities: LGBTQ (genderfluid "hetero" bio-male), in the ASD (Autism) and BIPOC (stands for Black, Indigenous and People of Color, I happen to have Native American/Cherokee ancestry). No matter how diverse we are on this forum, we all get together and can get along fine while we discuss roads and other topics that interest us. In the year 2020, despite we came a long way in the awareness, tolerance and acceptance of LGBTQ people, we have a long way to go until the majority of people in this country (the USA) reject homophobia, biphobia and transphobia.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Hwy 61 Revisited

• pie-in-the-sky beltway enjoyer

• Last Login: Today at 09:53:02 PM
    • 61's Highways
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2020, 12:11:27 AM »

I think allies can come on, but this is meant to be a more educational and supportive group.
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2020, 12:12:58 AM »

Hi, everyone. To bring things back to a sense of normalcy, I've restored the productive discussion about LBGTQ+, what it means, what it means to be an ally, etc. I've restored some of the inoffensive humor. I've taken away meta-discussion about locking threads, removing posts, etc. This forum is not intended to censor, but on the other hand, we are in Off Topic, so expect the moderating staff to have a heavier hand here than usual.

Keep in mind that for many people, the things they're disclosing in this thread are intensely personal and private, and they view this as a safe space. Let's leave this primarily for those people, but let's also feel free to interact with them and grow our community. I'd rather leave this thread unlocked in that spirit, and hopefully we can all move forward together. Thanks for bearing with us.

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2020, 12:14:41 AM »

An ally is part of the LGBTQ+ group (hence the A in some of the extended abbreviations) despite being straight. I support the group, but I am not an ally as I don't identify as being part of the group.
My understanding is that no, allies are NOT part of the group. This is based on my discussions with (and posts by) my LBGTQ+ friends. Allies can support the community, join them and fight with them, but they are a distinct group. It's an important distinction, just like those of us who are not African-American/black can join their cause and support them, but cannot become them.

index

• Chief Sisyphean Affairs Officer

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 06:42:34 PM
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2020, 09:36:06 AM »

My understanding is that no, allies are NOT part of the group. This is based on my discussions with (and posts by) my LBGTQ+ friends. Allies can support the community, join them and fight with them, but they are a distinct group. It's an important distinction, just like those of us who are not African-American/black can join their cause and support them, but cannot become them.
Most other folks I know part of the demographic say the A, when used, means asexual.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: Today at 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2020, 10:51:46 AM »

I appreciate both the moderator cleanup of this thread, and even moreso the reintroduction of previously deleted posts.  In fact, I'm a little surprised at how many of my own posts were allowed back on the thread.

For those who had a chip on their shoulder similar to mine about heavy-handed moderation:  this, to me, was a clear case of unintended consequences sprouting from good intentions.  Such has been corrected with a decidedly liberal hand, removing unnecessary clutter but otherwise restoring most of the relevant discussion from members with differing viewpoints.

And so, with that, let's all put to bed the discussion about what the letters really mean.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2020, 09:17:22 PM »

Most other folks I know part of the demographic say the A, when used, means asexual.

Those who identify as ace or aro (aromantic, as had been noted below) appreciate being included as the A.

Hwy 61 Revisited

• 61's Highways
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2020, 05:37:02 PM »

Those who identify as ace or aro (aromantic, as had been noted below) appreciate being included as the A.

I myself am ace, but not aro. I'm homoro.
--David Byrne

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2020, 08:38:30 PM »

Ace? What does he have to do with this?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hwy 61 Revisited

• 61's Highways
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2020, 08:59:27 PM »

Ace? What does he have to do with this?

Oh yeah, I saw him in concert.
He was... okay.
--David Byrne

LilianaUwU

• :3

• Last Login: Today at 11:09:41 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2020, 11:33:59 PM »

A third trans female joined recently. Only 7 posts so far.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=27544.0

Hey, that's me! :D
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.