Why is there a US-38 shield on the Regional Mod tag?

Started by thspfc, October 17, 2020, 05:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

J N Winkler

This answer doesn't really go to motivation for design of the tag itself, but there are a couple of observations that seem relevant:

*  US 38 was a regional (Nebraska-Colorado) route later subsumed into US 6.

*  A longstanding MUTCD heirloom, dating from at least the 1960's, is an illustration of a post-interchange distance sign that references US 38 in the top line, initially as text and now as a shield:  [US 38] JCT 5, Greenville 40, St Louis 125 in the current edition.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

I think the main motivation was just to put an unused number in it. It could have easily been 47.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

This actually never occurred to me until you pointed it out, but I'm glad an even number was chosen.

kphoger

So why is there a not-unused number on the Administrator tag?   :hmmm:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on October 20, 2020, 02:59:11 PM
So why is there a not-unused number on the Administrator tag?   :hmmm:

It's the colored shield that's no longer used, not the number.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

US 89

corco

It looks like the original suggestion was, as Winkler speculated above:

QuoteI would have a different number for the two other moderators.  maybe global moderator can be US 6 (a fairly long-reaching highway) and regional moderator be US 38 (a short, regional highway with a tie-in to US 6)

from the long-departed agentsteel53.

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2020, 09:46:09 PM
So how come I'm stuck with US 6?
US-6 is not a bad one to be stuck with. I love the way that 6 looks on a US shield.

I-55

Quote from: thspfc on October 21, 2020, 04:39:02 PM
US-6 is not a bad one to be stuck with. I love the way that 6 looks on a US shield.

Not to mention that it's named "Grand Army of the Republic Highway" for its full length. Not many cross country roads can say they carry a name through multiple states.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

US 89

Quote from: I-55 on October 25, 2020, 01:50:12 AM
Not to mention that it's named "Grand Army of the Republic Highway" for its full length. Not many cross country roads can say they carry a name through multiple states.

Of course, most states barely sign that (if at all). Utah has one small sign like this at each state line:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on October 25, 2020, 12:24:18 PM
Quote from: I-55 on October 25, 2020, 01:50:12 AM

Of course, most states barely sign that (if at all). Utah has one small sign like this at each state line:

Someone has been signing it on US 6, US 395, and CA 14 in the last couple years.  It doesn't look like a Caltrans job. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.