News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most Iconic Bridge in Each Metro Area

Started by webny99, February 21, 2021, 01:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Metropolitan Mackinaw City/St. Ignace, Da Mackinac Bridge.

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 26, 2021, 02:42:04 PM

I sorta beat you to it.  See reply 15.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on August 26, 2021, 03:04:21 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on August 26, 2021, 02:42:04 PM

I sorta beat you to it.  See reply 15.
LOL and I replied to that post too because you mentioned the Zilwaukee Bridge too. I live about 7 miles from the Zilwaukee Bridge.

US 89

Every time I read Zilwaukee, I spend a good 20 seconds thinking "I think they misspelled Milwaukee". I can't be the only one.

kkt

Quote from: plain on August 26, 2021, 01:42:10 PM
Quote from: Bruce on August 26, 2021, 01:47:43 AM
I drove across it a month ago and in the time between my southbound trip to a nearby beach and my northbound return, someone had managed to wedge their car over the sidewalk railing.

Sounds like they were drunk

Maybe but hate to judge without actually knowning anything.  Maybe the driver had a seizure or something.

Flint1979

Quote from: US 89 on August 26, 2021, 05:00:54 PM
Every time I read Zilwaukee, I spend a good 20 seconds thinking "I think they misspelled Milwaukee". I can't be the only one.
Because that is exactly how Zilwaukee got it's name. They named it Zilwaukee with hopes it would confuse immigrants coming into New York thinking they are going to Milwaukee.

roadman65

If it hasn't been mentioned before, it's the Cabrillo Bridge for San Diego, though the Coronado Bridge comes close second.

Grants Pass, OR it's the Caveman Bridge of course.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Georgia

in Atlanta, it is the 17th street bridge. 

Chrysler375Freeway

Nashville: Natchez Trace Parkway Bridge or the John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge

tolbs17

I'd go with this one because of the piers... They are square and not rounded.

SkyPesos

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 18, 2021, 04:10:57 PM
I'd go with this one because of the piers... They are square and not rounded.
Highway overpasses don't really scream "iconic"  at all, unless it's something like I-65 over IN 46 in Columbus, IN, and that's the only notable bridge in the city.

Chrysler375Freeway

NYC: Brooklyn Bridge
Nashville: John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge
Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati Metro: John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge
Detroit: Ambassador Bridge
Pittsburgh: Three Sisters Bridges
Philadelphia: Benjamin Franklin Bridge
Los Angeles: Sixth Street Viaduct
San Francisco: Golden Gate Bridge

Big John

wanderer2575

Quote from: Chrysler375Freeway on December 19, 2021, 01:41:05 AM

Detroit: Ambassador Bridge

Fortunately soon to be overtaken in this category by the Gordie Howe Bridge.  The only thing iconic about the Ambassador Bridge is the complete civic assholes that were/are Matty Maroun and his Detroit International Bridge Company.

wriddle082

Quote from: Chrysler375Freeway on October 28, 2021, 08:05:22 PM
Nashville: Natchez Trace Parkway Bridge or the John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge

The Korean Veterans Memorial Bridge should also be considered, though it's usually overshadowed by the Seigenthaler.

For Columbia, SC, it's the Gervais St Bridge carrying US 1 over the Congaree River.

For Greenville, SC, it's the Liberty Bridge (pedestrian) over the Falls of the Reedy River.

I don't think Charlotte, NC really has an iconic bridge since it's the probably the largest city in the country not on a major river.  So maybe the I-77 south to I-485 outer fourth-level flyover?   :-D

KEVIN_224

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 21, 2021, 11:52:49 PM
Hartford: The Bulkeley Bridge, although I would nominate the Bushnell Arch if the Park River were not buried underground.  If you want to get out in the sticks, I'll include the Cornwall Covered Bridge.

New Haven: The Pearl Harbor Memorial ("Q") Bridge.

Great Connecticut choices! The Bulkeley carries I-84 over the Connecticut River. The Q-Bridge in New Haven carries I-95 over the Quinnipiac River. The West Cornwall bridge spans the Housatonic River and connects to US Route 7 on the Sharon (western) side.

Another notable bridge in the region would also be the Memorial Bridge over the Connecticut River between Springfield and West Springfield, MA.

Providence: The Claiborne Pell Newport Bridge

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: DTComposer on May 01, 2021, 06:42:36 PM
Quote from: sparker on May 01, 2021, 04:29:31 PM
Los Angeles hasn't gotten a mention yet; although not particularly known for its bridges, the most iconic -- if now replaced -- would have been the 6th street viaduct, which not only bridged the L.A. River, but all the major rail lines coming into town along its banks, plus a big chunk of the warehouse/industrial area east of downtown.  I'm definitely making a trip back down to see its rather uniquely-designed replacement once it opens for traffic.  But in the interim, the only L.A. bridges that would warrant mention in the same breath are the Vincent Thomas suspension span (CA 47) between Terminal Island and San Pedro, and the new Gerald Desmond bridge replacement between that same island and downtown Long Beach (the southernmost reaches of I-710).  And, currently, that's about it! 

I'd also consider the Colorado Street viaduct over the Arroyo Seco (former US-66, then CA-134) in Pasadena.

And the Hyperion Avenue bridge over I-5 and the LA River.

skluth

Palm Springs doesn't really have bridges. Probably one of the viaducts over I-10 like at Date Palm. Technically we're part of the San Bernardino-Riverside metro which probably has an iconic bridge or two, but it's hard to think you're in the same metro when the other cities are an hour away with lots of nothing in between.

rte66man

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.