Port to Plains Corridor (I-27 extension) officially signed into law!

Started by Great Lakes Roads, March 16, 2022, 01:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

An extension of I-2 past Laredo would have to cannibalize the proposed I-27 extension between Del Rio and Laredo. The bigger question is where an extension of I-2 farther West would meet I-10. Obviously such an extension would have to run over or alongside US-90 going West out of Del Rio. Do you bend it North at Sanderson along US-285 to meet I-10 at Fort Stockton? Or does it keep going along US-90 until hitting I-10 in Van Horn? The latter choice would be most costly to build having to go through more mountainous territory near Big Bend State Park. But it might be great for helping move tourist traffic. On the other hand making I-2 start in Fort Stockton would point the corridor more directly to small cities and towns in the Permian Basin, such as Hobbs, Carlsbad and Roswell. Fort Stockton is more of a regional highway hub than Van Horn.

The Ghostbuster

If Interstate 2 and Interstate 27 both eventually reach Laredo, what is the likelihood that both Interstates will be combined into one Interstate route from Amarillo to Harlingen (more likely as Interstate 27 rather than Interstate 2)?

Anthony_JK

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 04, 2022, 07:07:10 PM
If Interstate 2 and Interstate 27 both eventually reach Laredo, what is the likelihood that both Interstates will be combined into one Interstate route from Amarillo to Harlingen (more likely as Interstate 27 rather than Interstate 2)?

I'd say not very likely; they would have to reverse the exit signage for I-2 from east-west to south-north.

Actually, I'm of the opposite direction: I'd run I-27 to end at the Eagle Pass POE, and find a way to extend I-2 westward along the border from Laredo to there, then extend it to end somewhere on I-10 near Fort Stockton or just west of there. An El Paso to South Texas Interstate riding the border would not be too bad.

Rothman

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 04, 2022, 11:16:23 AM

Quote from: RothmanIf you want State money, you have to play by State rules.  Yep, temp roads have to be by State standards...

This tribe's project is not getting any state money. The state is forcing them to build these access roads that aren't even needed on the tribe's own dime and then forcing them to remove them afterward. I see construction projects all the time where improvised dirt and gravel roads are used on the build site either to be graded and landscaped-over later or converted into permanent concrete driveways.

You said the Tribe is developing just off an Interstate, right?  State roads, State rules of access management, then.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bwana39

Virtually ZERO. Texas doesn't tend to do long concurrencies. This would be especially so in this case where it would mostly if not totally concurrent....
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Bobby5280

I've repeated it before, but there is no problem with an extended I-27 ending at Laredo along with I-2 ending there too. The ultimate North terminus of I-2 would be wherever I-69W departs the Loop 20 route to head towards Freer. The ultimate Southern terminus of I-27 would be at a different point from where I-2 would end. Most likely that would be where US-83 runs into I-35 eight miles North of the I-35/I-69W interchange. That would be coming down from Carrizo Springs. On the other hand, I think it would be worthwhile to run I-27 between Eagle Pass and Laredo much closer to the Rio Grande River, along Eagle Pass Road and then along Mines Road/FM-1472 closer to Laredo. Mines Road on the North side of Laredo passes by a LOT of distribution and industrial facilities. Quite a bit of that divided road is built where it could be upgraded to Interstate standards. Mines Road between the two major border Crossings at and North of Laredo may have to be upgraded into a freeway regardless of what ever happens with I-27.

kphoger

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 04, 2022, 10:14:48 PM
Mines Road between the two major border Crossings at and North of Laredo may have to be upgraded into a freeway regardless of what ever happens with I-27.

Good grief, Mines Road!  Lord help you if you need to turn from I-69W SB onto Mines Road WB.  Or, really, if you need to use Mines Road at all, anywhere south of... well, anywhere south of NOT LAREDO.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bobby5280

Mines Road already has one long flyover ramp built at its interchange with I-69W. I'm not saying it would be easy to convert that intersection into a Y type freeway interchange, much less upgrade Mines Road into a freeway going North of that interchange with I-69W. But there is one hell of a lot of truck traffic moving through there. Considering the surrounds, I don't think anyone would complain too loudly if an elevated freeway was built over the top of Mines Road for that first 2 miles going North of I-69W. Mines Road spreads out into a wider ROW going North of A.F. Muller Blvd. Freeway main lanes could be built more at-grade from that point going up to the TX-255 intersection by the Columbia border crossing.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on April 04, 2022, 10:31:14 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 04, 2022, 10:14:48 PM
Mines Road between the two major border Crossings at and North of Laredo may have to be upgraded into a freeway regardless of what ever happens with I-27.

Good grief, Mines Road!  Lord help you if you need to turn from I-69W SB onto Mines Road WB.  Or, really, if you need to use Mines Road at all, anywhere south of... well, anywhere south of NOT LAREDO.

Mines Road was special class of evil. With all the trucks, I think you might average about 10-20 mph in what appears to be a 4 or even 6-lane road...[shudders]

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on April 05, 2022, 03:56:37 AM
Mines Road was special class of evil. With all the trucks, I think you might average about 10-20 mph in what appears to be a 4 or even 6-lane road...[shudders]

I think you might be overestimating that average speed...
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 04, 2022, 07:19:54 PM

I'd say not very likely; they would have to reverse the exit signage for I-2 from east-west to south-north.

Actually, I'm of the opposite direction: I'd run I-27 to end at the Eagle Pass POE, and find a way to extend I-2 westward along the border from Laredo to there, then extend it to end somewhere on I-10 near Fort Stockton or just west of there. An El Paso to South Texas Interstate riding the border would not be too bad.

Not to mention a connection from California to the Rio Grande Valley,  Extending I-2 to I-10 would be well worth it.

So the corridor is signed into law, but what would keep I-27 from terminating in Del Rio and the Del Rio to Laredo leg becoming just I-2?

Bobby5280

If I-2 were extended to meet I-10 in either Fort Stockton or Van Horn then I certainly wouldn't have a problem with I-2 eating the proposed I-27 segment from Del Rio to Laredo.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: formulanone on April 04, 2022, 07:38:17 AM
Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2022, 04:11:21 PM
Man, I just can't wait for Limon to be the most useful control city.

Limon awarded new International Airport, 2036 Summer Olympics, and new permanent site of Amazon Coachella—Chill Bros. Dispensary Burning Man — Presented by Tesla Festival.

Hell yeah man, the 2035 ACCBDBMPBT-fest was off the hook!  :spin:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

bwana39

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 05, 2022, 10:29:52 AM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 04, 2022, 07:19:54 PM

Not to mention a connection from California to the Rio Grande Valley,  Extending I-2 to I-10 would be well worth it.

So the corridor is signed into law, but what would keep I-27 from terminating in Del Rio and the Del Rio to Laredo leg becoming just I-2?

Since the resolution from the US congress is toothless (no funding / no requirement) , there is no real reason I-27 cannot end in Lubbock. It is you can / you should;  not "you MUST". It is a suggestion with absolutely NO requirement that it actually happen. I am not saying it will. I expect it will eventually make it to I-20.

Not sure we need more than controlled access loops around the towns and rural divided highway in the rural sections for any of it. I realize true freeway is better. We have to decide if we want more four-lane miles with a 70 to 75 mph speed limit or fewer miles of divided highway and more freeway miles. You get a mile and a half or more of divided highway for the cost of a mile of freeway. Just saying...

Quibbling over the route numbers is the least of anyone's worries...
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Bobby5280

Quote from: bwana39Not sure we need more than controlled access loops around the towns and rural divided highway in the rural sections for any of it. I realize true freeway is better. We have to decide if we want more four-lane miles with a 70 to 75 mph speed limit or fewer miles of divided highway and more freeway miles. You get a mile and a half or more of divided highway for the cost of a mile of freeway. Just saying...

I would prefer some consolidation of resources to prioritize certain major corridors over smaller ones. Some corridors need to be 100% controlled access to reinforce driver safety. When people get into the mindset they're driving on a type of super highway they're not as alert for things like oil field pickup trucks whipping out onto the main lanes from some gravel driveway.

There are multiple factors that justify the Interstate highways that are currently planned/in-progress in South Texas. The size of population centers in the Rio Grande Valley and Laredo is a big enough reason. There is a great deal of commerce activity are various border crossings from Del Rio and farther South. Finally there is a great deal of heavy truck and industrial traffic from South Texas up into the Permian Basin.

I'm certain I-2 needs to be built up to Laredo and the 3 legs of I-69 built-out as well. The current I-27 route is a small part of the larger Ports to Plains Corridor. An extension of I-2 up thru Del Rio to either Fort Stockton or Van Horn is the toughest one to sell, even though the national highway network would benefit from it. Perhaps the first step is getting ROW secured for bypasses or thru routes in towns along the way.

Thegeet

Quote from: bwana39 on April 04, 2022, 09:37:09 PM

Virtually ZERO. Texas doesn't tend to do long concurrencies. This would be especially so in this case where it would mostly if not totally concurrent....
I don't think he meant I-2 and I-27 run together (which would only be used if it had two concurrency ends, see I-20/59)I think he meant either I-2 absorbed into I-27, or vice versa. And the answer is unlikely. Texas is not a state that commonly renames highways, unless it's I-69.

In_Correct

https://krtnradio.com/2022/03/15/us-designates-future-interstate-27-part-of-the-interstate-highway-system/

https://s3.amazonaws.com/oasis-prod01-unlayer/1647379715412-Interstate_Route_Map_tx_nm_600px.png

US Designates Future Interstate 27 Part of the Interstate Highway System
BY MARTY MAYFIELD ON MARCH 15, 2022

(LUBBOCK, TX) — The designation of future Interstate 27 (I-27) became official on Tuesday, March 15 as President Biden signed into law the appropriation bill. The designation recognizes the Ports-to-Plains Corridor from Laredo, Texas to Raton, New Mexico as an addition to the Interstate Highway System.

"I am very excited that the I-27 highway expansion project is now written into law with the passage of the FY22 omnibus appropriations bill,"  said Henry Cuellar, U.S. Rep. for District 28. This designation will make Texas and New Mexico eligible for increased federal funding to complete the I-27 highway expansion project, creating economic growth, jobs, trade opportunities across those two states. The I-27 expansion will grow the Texas GDP by $17.2 billion and create 178,000 construction jobs. It will also add 17,000 long-term employment opportunities in the new I-27 corridor. With this project, Laredo will also become the only port of entry that has three corridors:  I-35, I-69, I-27–a boon for our trade economy. As a senior member of the Appropriations Committee, I will continue to fund projects in south Texas that bring good-paying jobs and ease quality of life for my constituents."

"Establishing a four lane, federal highway for I-27 is a game-changer for our economy and quality of life in West Texas for decades to come and will strengthen our food security and energy independence for the entire country,"  said Jodey Arrington, U.S. Rep. for District 19. "I had three big goals for a better and stronger West Texas when I took office in 2016 — get cotton back in the farm bill, secure the B-21 bomber at Dyess, and establish a federal highway for West Texas.  I had a lot of help from colleagues on both sides of the aisle, and I'm humbled by the opportunities this will provide for generations of West Texans."

Receiving the future interstate designation is the first step to begin fundraising for the extension of I-27. As TxDOT's feasibility study determined, the extension of I-27 impacts the state of Texas in improving the safety of the roads by reducing the annual crash rate by 21% and providing more access and opportunities for rural America.

"I am ecstatic we received the future interstate designation for I-27 which will allow for the necessary infrastructure improvement to bring growth to our region and the state of Texas,"  said Dan Pope, mayor for the City of Lubbock. "As with most momentous achievements, our thanks are due to many in their support of this project. From the Governor to our U.S. Senators and Representatives, as well as our State Representatives, this will be a changing moment in Texas for decades."
"This exciting news represents years of planning and collaboration by so many people,"  said Ginger Nelson, mayor for the city of Amarillo. "The extension of I-27 is vital to our future growth."

"One of the most significant events of today was the inclusion of the designation of I-27 in the appropriation bill,"  said Brenda Gunter, mayor for the city of San Angelo. "We are seeing a project that will have a significant impact on the Texas economy as well as our national GDP. The hard work and effort to accomplish this designation is finally paying off with a tremendous impact on the future of our region and the state of Texas. Thank you to all who have been a part of the process."
The Corridor represents three of the eight border crossings along the Texas-Mexico border: Laredo, Eagle Pass and Del Rio. As the next steps to fund and construct the extension of I-27 begin, the economic benefit for the U.S. is the addition of 1.7 million jobs and a $287 billion increase in GDP along the Corridor.

"The impact of this designation is tremendous as it allows for the enhancement of infrastructure for domestic and international markets, creates safer roads for leisure and business travels, and connects underrepresented communities throughout the Corridor with outside markets,"  John Osborne, chairman of the board for Ports-to-Plains Alliance. "We would not be celebrating this historic moment without the support of Congressman Arrington and Cuellar and Congresswoman Granger, Senators Heinrich and Lujan, as well as our team of advocates at Hance Scarborough. We are grateful for their leadership and support of this project."

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

In_Correct

This one has a video player that follows you when you try to scroll.

And the text does not display easily when High Contrast is Enabled.

https://www.kcbd.com/2022/03/15/ports-to-plains-i-27-expansion-signed-into-law-with-federal-budget/

Ports-to-Plains: I-27 expansion signed into law with federal budget
By Brad Burt
Published: Mar. 15, 2022 at 4:45 PM CDT|Updated: Mar. 15, 2022 at 4:55 PM CDT
LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - Texas Representatives say critical advances in the long discussed Ports-to-Plains Corridor expansion for Interstate 27 have been signed into law by President Joe Biden, included with infrastructure funding under the FY 22 omnibus appropriations bill.

The Ports-to-Plains Corridor has been an effort for decades, working to open transportation and interstate infrastructure from Colorado across northeast New Mexico and the Oklahoma panhandle, through the Texas panhandle including Lubbock and Amarillo, south through west Texas connecting to Midland and San Angelo before finally connecting to Laredo at the Texas border.

Part of funding legislation signed by President Biden on Tuesday designates the Texas and New Mexico portions of the Ports-to-Plains Corridor as a future interstate, making these portions eligible for increased funding to complete the I-27 expansion into a four-lane federal highway.

The I-27 Federal Highway expansion will provide more direct links for local energy and agricultural industries to state, national, and international trade, with an estimated $690 million per year in travel cost savings outside of the corridor. The expansion providing a new trade route will also reduce congestion on I-35 in East Texas.

According to the Ports-to-Plains Alliance, the corridor represents an expected economic benefit for the United States by adding 1.7 million jobs and a $287 billion increase in GDP, starting at three border crossings through the corridor along the Texas-Mexico border: Laredo, Eagle Pass and Del Rio.

Representative Jodey Arrington of Lubbock and Representative Henry Cuellar of Laredo, the congress members behind the Ports-to-Plains Highway Act of 2020, responded to the designation with excitement, saying the achievement of this project will be an immense economic win for Texas, and the United States.

In 2020, Rep. Arrington said the corridor brings an estimated cost of $25.5 billion, but would be 55 percent of the nation's economic activity. Texas Gross Domestic Product is expected to increase by $55.6 billion in the first 20 years with this designation.

Rep. Cuellar said the I-27 expansion will grow the Texas GDP by $17.2 billion and create 178,000 construction jobs, with 17,000 long-term employment opportunities in the new I-27 corridor.

"Establishing a four lane, federal highway for I-27 is a game-changer for our economy and quality of life in West Texas for decades to come and will strengthen our food security and energy independence for the entire country,"  Rep. Arrington said.

Arrington said he had three major goals when taking office in 2016: getting cotton back in the farm bill, securing a B-21 bomber at Dyess Air Force Base, and establishing a federal highway for West Texas.

"I had a lot of help from colleagues on both sides of the aisle, and I'm humbled by the opportunities this will provide for generations of West Texans,"  Arrington said.

Ports-to-Plains Alliance Chairman and Lubbock Economic Development Alliance CEO John Osborne said, "the impact of this designation is tremendous as it allows for the enhancement of infrastructure for domestic and international markets, creates safer roads for leisure and business travels, and connects underrepresented communities throughout the Corridor with outside markets."

Osborne added this designation would not have been possible without the support of congress and advocates with Hance Scarbrough, the law firm of former Texas Tech chancellor Kent Hance.

Lubbock mayor Dan Pope spoke in support, saying the I-27 designation will ultimately improve necessary infrastructure and increase safety in Texas for commerce and visitors.

"The Ports to Plains Regional effort has been ongoing for decades, and today the interstate designation for I-27 has finally been signed into law. Thank you to Congressman Jodey Arrington for his leadership on this project. This momentous achievement is due to the unwavering support from leaders like Randy Neugebauer and Robert Duncan,"  Pope said. "This is a huge local, regional, and state-wide win."

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

In_Correct

KLBK | KAMC | EverythingLubbock.com | NEXSTAR:

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/local-news/lubbock-with-help-from-biden-and-congress-on-the-road-to-become-an-international-trade-route/

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/35/2022/03/interstatemap.jpg?resize=876,492

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/35/2022/03/interstatemap.jpg

LOCAL NEWS
Lubbock, with help from Biden, Arrington and Congress, on the road to become an international trade route
by: James Clark

Posted: Mar 15, 2022 / 02:18 PM CDT

Updated: Mar 15, 2022 / 10:42 PM CDT

CORRECTION: The Interstate-27 portion of Ports-to-Plains will not go as far north as described in the initial publication of this story.

LUBBOCK, Texas – President Biden signed federal legislation Tuesday that designates a portion of Ports to Plains as "interstate highway."  It brings Lubbock and the South Plains one step closer to having Interstate 27 reach all way from Laredo up to a connection with Interstate 25, which then goes to Denver and other points to the north.

Congressman Jodey Arrington R-Lubbock and Congressman Henry Cuellar D-Laredo filed bipartisan legislation to extend Interstate 27, which currently ends at 82nd Street in Lubbock. (South of 82nd, the road is currently designated as U.S. Highway 87.)

Arrington said the designation recognizes Ports-to-Plains as interstate highway from Laredo to Raton, New Mexico. This does not mean the extension of I-27 is already fully funded.

"This designation will make Texas and New Mexico eligible for increased federal funding to complete the I-27 highway expansion project,"  Cuellar said. "I will continue to fund projects in south Texas that bring good-paying jobs and ease quality of life for my constituents."

U.S. Senators John Cornyn R-Texas and Ted Cruz R-Texas both supported legislation to designate Ports-to-Plains as a federal interstate highway.

However, Cruz voted against the current bill, saying federal spending at a time of inflation only hurts people. Cruz supports the I-27 corridor as "a key transportation priority for Texas."  Cruz said extending I-27 will help the nation as a whole.

(Nexstar/Staff)

Arrington issued the following statement, calling Tuesday's development a big win for West Texas:

US Designates Interstate 27 Part of the Interstate Highway System

(LUBBOCK, TX) — The designation of Interstate 27 (I-27) became official on Tuesday, March 15 as President Biden signed into law the appropriation bill. The designation recognizes the Ports-to-Plains Corridor from Laredo, Texas to Raton, New Mexico as an addition to the Interstate Highway System.

"Establishing a four lane, federal highway for I-27 is a game-changer for our economy and quality of life in West Texas for decades to come and will strengthen our food security and energy independence for the entire country,"  said Jodey Arrington, U.S. Rep. for District 19. "I had three big goals for a better and stronger West Texas when I took office in 2016 — get cotton back in the farm bill, secure the B-21 bomber at Dyess, and establish a federal highway for West Texas. I had a lot of help from colleagues on both sides of the aisle, and I'm humbled by the opportunities this will provide for generations of West Texans."

Receiving the interstate designation is the first step to begin fundraising for the extension of I-27. As TxDOT's feasibility study determined, the extension of I-27 impacts the state of Texas in improving the safety of the roads by reducing the annual crash rate by 21% and providing more access and opportunities for rural America.

"I am ecstatic we received the interstate designation for I-27 which will allow for the necessary infrastructure improvement to bring growth to our region and the state of Texas,"  said Dan Pope, mayor for the City of Lubbock. "As with most momentous achievements, our thanks are due to many in their support of this project; specifically, Congressman Jodey Arrington, who has been an incredible advocate in this bipartisan effort, led the charge for what will be a changing moment for West Texas for decades to come."

The Corridor represents three of the eight border crossings along the Texas-Mexico border: Laredo, Eagle Pass and Del Rio. As the next steps to fund the extension of I-27 begin, the economic benefit for the state of Texas within the first 20 years of completion is estimated at $55.6 million increase in GDP and 22,110 new jobs.

"The impact of this designation is tremendous as it allows for the enhancement of infrastructure for domestic and international markets, creates safer roads for leisure and business travels, and connects underrepresented communities throughout the Corridor with outside markets,"  John Osborne, chairman of the board for Ports-to-Plains Alliance. "We would not be celebrating this historic moment without the support of TxDOT, NMDOT, Congressman Arrington and Cuellar and Congresswoman Granger, as well as our team of advocates at Hance Scarborough. We are grateful for their leadership and support of this project."

The following is a statement from Ports-to-Plains:

(LUBBOCK, TX) — The designation of future Interstate 27 (I-27) became official on Tuesday, March 15 as President Biden signed into law the appropriation bill. The designation recognizes the Ports-to-Plains Corridor from Laredo, Texas to Raton, New Mexico as an addition to the Interstate Highway System.

"I am very excited that the I-27 highway expansion project is now written into law with the passage of the FY22 omnibus appropriations bill,"  said Henry Cuellar, U.S. Rep. for District 28. This designation will make Texas and New Mexico eligible for increased federal funding to complete the I-27 highway expansion project, creating economic growth, jobs, trade opportunities across those two states. The I-27 expansion will grow the Texas GDP by $17.2 billion and create 178,000 construction jobs. It will also add 17,000 long-term employment opportunities in the new I-27 corridor. With this project, Laredo will also become the only port of entry that has three corridors: I-35, I-69, I-27–a boon for our trade economy. As a senior member of the Appropriations Committee, I will continue to fund projects in south Texas that bring good-paying jobs and ease quality of life for my constituents."

"Establishing a four lane, federal highway for I-27 is a game-changer for our economy and quality of life in West Texas for decades to come and will strengthen our food security and energy independence for the entire country,"  said Jodey Arrington, U.S. Rep. for District 19. "I had three big goals for a better and stronger West Texas when I took office in 2016 — get cotton back in the farm bill, secure the B-21 bomber at Dyess, and establish a federal highway for West Texas. I had a lot of help from colleagues on both sides of the aisle, and I'm humbled by the opportunities this will provide for generations of West Texans."

Receiving the future interstate designation is the first step to begin fundraising for the extension of I-27. As TxDOT's feasibility study determined, the extension of I-27 impacts the state of Texas in improving the safety of the roads by reducing the annual crash rate by 21% and providing more access and opportunities for rural America.

"I am ecstatic we received the future interstate designation for I-27 which will allow for the necessary infrastructure improvement to bring growth to our region and the state of Texas,"  said Dan Pope, mayor for the City of Lubbock. "As with most momentous achievements, our thanks are due to many in their support of this project. From the Governor to our U.S. Senators and Representatives, as well as our State Representatives, this will be a changing moment in Texas for decades."

"This exciting news represents years of planning and collaboration by so many people,"  said Ginger Nelson, mayor for the city of Amarillo. "The extension of I-27 is vital to our future growth."

"One of the most significant events of today was the inclusion of the designation of I-27 in the appropriation bill,"  said Brenda Gunter, mayor for the city of San Angelo. "We are seeing a project that will have a significant impact on the Texas economy as well as our national GDP. The hard work and effort to accomplish this designation is finally paying off with a tremendous impact on the future of our region and the state of Texas. Thank you to all who have been a part of the process."

The Corridor represents three of the eight border crossings along the Texas-Mexico border: Laredo, Eagle Pass and Del Rio. As the next steps to fund and construct the extension of I-27 begin, the economic benefit for the U.S. is the addition of 1.7 million jobs and a $287 billion increase in GDP along the Corridor.

"The impact of this designation is tremendous as it allows for the enhancement of infrastructure for domestic and international markets, creates safer roads for leisure and business travels, and connects underrepresented communities throughout the Corridor with outside markets,"  John Osborne, chairman of the board for Ports-to-Plains Alliance.

"We would not be celebrating this historic moment without the support of Congressman Arrington and Cuellar and Congresswoman Granger, Senators Heinrich and Lujan, as well as our team of advocates at Hance Scarborough. We are grateful for their leadership and support of this project."

Scott5114

QuoteHowever, Cruz voted against the current bill, saying federal spending at a time of inflation only hurts people. Cruz supports the I-27 corridor as "a key transportation priority for Texas."  Cruz said extending I-27 will help the nation as a whole.

what the fuck does this even mean

Does he think it's helpful or harmful??
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

How many times are we going to see the same story posted over and over again from different sources?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

In_Correct

DJStephens

The "original" 1968 I-27 application was to utilize US 84 traveling SE of Lubbock to I-20 at Sweetwater.   That would still be the "easiest" to upgrade and designate.   
Can understand them wanting to route it through San Angelo, and utilize the segments of limited access highway constructed there in more recent times.   
Would have preferred to see it go right through (between) Odessa-Midland, but can understand the more easterly routing.    It should give locales such as LaMesa a much needed shot in the arm.  Traveled through there a year ago (on US 180) and the town was in rough shape.   A lot of broken down homes and abandoned/marginal businesses.  There was extensive street work that was ongoing, concrete pavement, and a lot of concrete curb and gutter was being placed.   So that probably didn't help in the initial observation of the place.   An eastern N - S Bypass of Lamesa would most likely be pursued.   As one travels E from there, on US 180, the escarpment is reached, as the "table land or Mesa" drops off to the next lower level (Gail area) and it would be difficult to construct a highway N-S through it. 
South of San Angelo, it does seem "porky" although it will be beneficial in the long run to have it for connectivity to the border regions of Del Rio and Eagle Pass.  And of course Laredo.  Would doubt N-S traffic between Laredo and San Angelo is significant.  Now.  Later, most likely more.  Might take decades to take shape, however.   Meaning both the traffic counts, and the limited access four lane.

Bobby5280

I think traffic counts along the Ports to Plains Corridor will increase dramatically once most of the corridor is substantially completed enough to make it a desirable route for commercial traffic as well as personal vehicles. Currently too much of the existing route is only 2 lanes and not great for long distance driving.

As for the Midland-Odessa area, the corridor maps they're publicizing continue to suggest a I-27E/I-27W arrangement. Big Spring is obviously on the main line since it's on the direct path. But Midland-Odessa isn't out of the running to get a suffixed twin of the route. It's a big enough metro to justify the upgrade of TX-349 from Lamesa to Midland and TX-158 from Midland to Sterling City. Plus there's the long shot of I-14 being extended West to Midland someday.

I would expect I-27 to bypass Lamesa to the East. But, yeah, such a bypass could be built at a maximum of about 5 or 6 miles East of town due to that drop-off from the caprock. It's possible business owners in Lamesa might prefer an I-27 alignment closer to town to reduce losses of business from highway traffic. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.