Is TxDOT phasing out all 75 mph speed limits on I-10 east of Houston?

Started by roadman65, April 18, 2022, 08:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I saw a big difference in I-10 from Winnie to the La State line last week from September 2012.  In 2012, the freeway was posted at 75 mph except in Beaumont where it was either 60 or 65.  Now I see that only from Beaumont to Louisiana it remains at 75, but from Winnie to Beaumont it's no longer 75.

However, the road widening of I-10 is why that is the case as the construction zone is 55 mph posted.  So it may go back when done or may be reposted to to 65 mph like it is from TX SH 73 to Houston.  I'm guessing the latter as TxDOT seems to like posting 75 or 80 on four lane freeways only.  I have only seen 70 on six lane freeways in SA or the Metroplex.

So I am guessing that when Texas completes its six lanes of I-10 from Houston into La, it will all be 65 then?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Bobby5280

Considering how the Houston metro is growing, and traffic levels on I-10 are increasing, I'd bet the final speed limit ends up being dropped to 65mph once construction is finished. The 75mph and 80mph limits are meant for rural areas that rarely ever see any traffic back-ups. I personally wouldn't be driving at 75mph speeds near Houston, even if cars are buzzing by me doing 90mph or more. You never know what could be hidden up ahead on the down slope side of an overpass. It could be more open road, or it could be a full-on traffic jam. Gotta be able to slow down or even stop safely. Freeways like I-45 and I-10 can be hit with jams 30 miles out from Houston's downtown.

longhorn

There are finally expanding I-10 between Winnie and LA state line? Concrete or using pavement which is faster?

Anthony_JK

That sounds like the 4-lane segment between Winnie (the TX 73/TX 124 interchange) and the US 69 South interchange entering Beaumont that is scheduled to be widened to 6 lanes in the future. Makes sense to lower the speed for now until that section is upgraded.

ethanhopkin14

Eventually the plan is to be at least 6 lanes between the western I-10/ Loop-1604 intersection in northwest San Antonio to the Louisiana state line.  I wonder how many sections once this is done will retain the 75 mile an hour speed limit.  When I-35 got the 6-lane treatment, speed limits went up because it was a safer, straighter road. 

r15-1

Similar to what has been done on I-20 across all of Harrison County from just east of Longview to the Louisiana line. That speed limit has been dropped from 75 to 70.

The speed study was conducted by TXDOT at the request of officials in that county due to the number accidents on that stretch of I-20.

bwana39

Quote from: r15-1 on April 19, 2022, 01:13:43 AM
Similar to what has been done on I-20 across all of Harrison County from just east of Longview to the Louisiana line. That speed limit has been dropped from 75 to 70.

The speed study was conducted by TXDOT at the request of officials in that county due to the number accidents on that stretch of I-20.

This was initially done when LADOTD was reconstructing I-20 just east of the state line. The reasoning there was to gradually slow the traffic which had hours-long delays and lots of rear end pileups when traffic got there at full highway speed.  It was initially designed to be temporary. After that construction was finished, they opted to keep it at 70 mph.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

rlb2024

Is the 65mph speed limit from Houston to Winnie due to EPA requirements?  I believe that any county that borders Harris County (Houston) can only have a 65mph speed limit -- at least that used to be the case when I traveled that way quite a bit.  Winnie is in Chambers County, which borders Harris County.  The speed limit used to change at the Chambers-Jefferson County line just east of Winnie, and that county line is now in the construction zone between Winnie and Beaumont.

sprjus4

I-35 is 6 lanes between Austin and the I-35E/W split and is 75 mph throughout except through Temple.

The recently widened segment of SH-130 to 6 lanes retained its 80 mph limit.

I-10 east of Beaumont was recently expanded to 6 lanes and retained the 75 mph limit I believe.

I think this is largely a Houston area thing. The speed limit will likely continue to go back up to 75 mph to the west of Katy even after the ongoing widening out that way is complete.

Houston's speed limits don't make sense to begin with. The long 60 mph urban stretches could easily handle at least 65 mph, and all the 65 mph zones should be at least 70 mph or 75 mph. I understand why they are how they are, but it still doesn't match reality. It just feels more like driving in a north or eastern state. Dallas-Fort Worth at least has it mostly right. 70 mph speed limits on most freeways except near the urban centers. SH-99 recently has had segments lowered from 70 mph to 65 mph on the west side on rural 4 lane portions for no good reason, and given traffic still moves 75+ mph, I don't think it's doing much. And then it goes up to 75 mph on the northern portion without any issues.

Bobby5280

Quote from: sprjus4Houston's speed limits don't make sense to begin with. The long 60 mph urban stretches could easily handle at least 65 mph, and all the 65 mph zones should be at least 70 mph or 75 mph.

I like high speed limits in certain areas. But definitely NOT Houston. I driven around Houston enough to be wary of sudden traffic jams, even way out in the exhurbs at ANY time. DFW can be scary enough with the experience of cresting over a hill at "normal" cruising speed and finding a sudden traffic back-up on the other side. Houston is worse. I think traffic is more dispersed in DFW for all its extra corridors. There isn't as many ways in and out of the Houston metro.

sprjus4

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 20, 2022, 12:08:28 AM
Quote from: sprjus4Houston's speed limits don't make sense to begin with. The long 60 mph urban stretches could easily handle at least 65 mph, and all the 65 mph zones should be at least 70 mph or 75 mph.

I like high speed limits in certain areas. But definitely NOT Houston. I driven around Houston enough to be wary of sudden traffic jams, even way out in the exhurbs at ANY time. DFW can be scary enough with the experience of cresting over a hill at "normal" cruising speed and finding a sudden traffic back-up on the other side. Houston is worse. I think traffic is more dispersed in DFW for all its extra corridors. There isn't as many ways in and out of the Houston metro.
The Katy Tollway and even the mainlines can easily be at least 65 mph. Traffic is usually moving at least 80 mph and it's a long flat highway.

And I-45 south of Houston to Galveston can definitely support 70 mph, after ongoing construction. It's currently a long 55 mph segment with traffic usually moving 75-80 mph.

r15-1

Quote from: bwana39 on April 19, 2022, 11:01:46 AM
Quote from: r15-1 on April 19, 2022, 01:13:43 AM

This was initially done when LADOTD was reconstructing I-20 just east of the state line. The reasoning there was to gradually slow the traffic which had hours-long delays and lots of rear end pileups when traffic got there at full highway speed.  It was initially designed to be temporary. After that construction was finished, they opted to keep it at 70 mph.
The construction speed limit around Waskom in 2018 was 65, but the 75 mph limit was restored when the Louisiana construction was completed in 2019.

As stated in the linked story, the speed study that determined the new 70 mph limit wasn't requested until February 2021.

https://www.arklatexhomepage.com/news/top-stories/new-speed-limit-signs-going-up-for-interstate-20-in-harrison-county/

longhorn

Quote from: rlb2024 on April 19, 2022, 05:06:22 PM
Is the 65mph speed limit from Houston to Winnie due to EPA requirements?  I believe that any county that borders Harris County (Houston) can only have a 65mph speed limit -- at least that used to be the case when I traveled that way quite a bit.  Winnie is in Chambers County, which borders Harris County.  The speed limit used to change at the Chambers-Jefferson County line just east of Winnie, and that county line is now in the construction zone between Winnie and Beaumont.

Do we really believe people do 65 on that straight stretch from Winnie to Houston? Watch out for DPS under the overpasses behind the tall bamboo.

longhorn

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 19, 2022, 08:31:44 PM
I-35 is 6 lanes between Austin and the I-35E/W split and is 75 mph throughout except through Temple.

I-10 east of Beaumont was recently expanded to 6 lanes and retained the 75 mph limit I believe.

I think this is largely a Houston area thing. The speed limit will likely continue to go back up to 75 mph to the west of Katy even after the ongoing widening out that way is complete.

Houston's speed limits don't make sense to begin with. The long 60 mph urban stretches could easily handle at least 65 mph, and all the 65 mph zones should be at least 70 mph or 75 mph. I understand why they are how they are, but it still doesn't match reality. It just feels more like driving in a north or eastern state. Dallas-Fort Worth at least has it mostly right. 70 mph speed limits on most freeways except near the urban centers. SH-99 recently has had segments lowered from 70 mph to 65 mph on the west side on rural 4 lane portions for no good reason, and given traffic still moves 75+ mph, I don't think it's doing much. And then it goes up to 75 mph on the northern portion without any issues.

Don't forget its 85 on 130 from AUS to Seguin.

kphoger

Quote from: longhorn on April 20, 2022, 02:52:31 PM

Is that six lanes now?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bwana39

IIRC, Houston has not changed their max speeds since the universal 60/65 mph for air quality was discontinued became waiverable.  DFW upped theirs under the agreement that traffic moved better at a little bit higher speeds and the additional exhaust from the higher speeds was offset by the reduction of gridlock and the idling exhausts.

sprjus4

Quote from: kphoger on April 20, 2022, 02:53:40 PM

Is that six lanes now?
Nope. It's all four lane rural freeway, which is why I did not indicate that.

I-55

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 20, 2022, 05:59:51 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 20, 2022, 02:53:40 PM

Is that six lanes now?
Nope. It's all four lane rural freeway, which is why I did not indicate that.

The 85 mph stretch is just what's 4 lane south of the southern TX 45 split. It's 6 lane and 80 mph from TX 71 to the north split with TX 45 (almost 20 miles) and 80 mph and 4 lanes everywhere else.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

sprjus4

Quote from: I-55 on April 21, 2022, 08:18:05 PM
The 85 mph stretch is just what's 4 lane south of the southern TX 45 split. It's 6 lane and 80 mph from TX 71 to the north split with TX 45 (almost 20 miles) and 80 mph and 4 lanes everywhere else.
That's what I was saying.

The 85 mph segment is all 4 lanes, the six lane portion was and maintained 80 mph after widening.

rlb2024

Quote from: longhorn on April 20, 2022, 02:50:59 PM

Do we really believe people do 65 on that straight stretch from Winnie to Houston? Watch out for DPS under the overpasses behind the tall bamboo.
Not at all.  I would do 70 to 75 between the Trinity River and Winnie and be moving right with the traffic.  That's what made the 65mph limit ridiculous.

sprjus4

Quote from: rlb2024 on April 22, 2022, 10:06:06 AM
Quote from: longhorn on April 20, 2022, 02:50:59 PM

Not at all.  I would do 70 to 75 between the Trinity River and Winnie and be moving right with the traffic.  That's what made the 65mph limit ridiculous.
Only 70-75 mph? My experience is traffic is usually moving closer to 80 mph or over, at least during the free flow. It seemed no different than driving in the Northeast with their 65 mph statewide caps the times I've driven around and outside of Houston where 65 mph didn't go to 75 mph for miles.

bwana39

75 means 83 or 84 (less than 10 MPH over)
70 means 79
65 is more like 74.

In Texas speed limits above 55 are generally enforced as less than ten MPH over.  There are exceptions, but very few. To quote an officer I know. Unless you are acting a fool or are behaving suspiciously, you won't get stopped for less than 10 mph over or 10% over for 55 or less.

Some city cops MIGHT enforce smaller tolerances, but DPS or the County Sheriffs rarely do. Most cities don't.

There is ZERO TOLERANCE in school zones. Zones with Emergency vehicles that are stopped (not just at wrecks) are held to high standards including lower than posted limits per state law.

sprjus4

^ I'm not talking about what police enforce. I'm talking about the actual reality of traffic flow.

bwana39

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 23, 2022, 01:13:57 PM
^ I'm not talking about what police enforce. I'm talking about the actual reality of traffic flow.

I agree, but the traffic flow speed is usually a function of the (lack of exacting) enforcement.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.