News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SkyPesos

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 28, 2022, 05:57:00 PM
Bucees

Clearly you haven't experienced the godliness of Beaver Nuggets and the BBQ Brisket.

Scott5114

I'm glad this thread wasn't about the literal underscore character being overrated, because then I'd have to fight Kyle. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

jeffandnicole

CoreySamson

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 28, 2022, 05:57:00 PM
Bucees
I have to defend Buc-ee's here. Maybe the hype for them is a bit too much (and honestly, I think that they would be more successful if they expanded with their rare 32-pump business model rather than the over 100 pump juggernauts they're pumping out). But they do have their pluses that make it unique and definitely a premier gas station:

- Low gas prices (they treat it as a loss leader since they can sell other knick-knacks to make up the deficit; the one I fill up the most is regularly 10 cents cheaper than the gas station across the street)
- Well-paid employees
- Bathrooms are always clean, no matter what
- Fresh BBQ and kolaches
- Lots of unique options for snacks
- Cheap fountain drinks and Icees
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

SSOWorld

Quote from: SP Cook on April 28, 2022, 11:49:55 AM
Roads:

- All "new"  interstates, 73, 74, 69, 99, etc.  (Just use the underlaying US route numbers, nothing says a US or State route cannot be of interstate quality).
41 especially

Quote from: SP Cook on April 28, 2022, 11:49:55 AM
Off-topic:

- Chicago.
- NYC and SF

Quote from: snowc on April 28, 2022, 10:59:18 AM
iPhones.
- Android  devices

Quote from: 1 on April 28, 2022, 04:26:58 PM
Disney World. You're paying hundreds per day for an artificial experience.
Anything Disney - MCU even borders on it.
Pickup trucks.
Money spent on something you can't control without a two ton brick in the bed
Wrestling and boxing. The former is entirely fake, and for the latter, who wants to watch people get hurt?
Boxing isn't a sport, boxing is beating the shit out of each other.  Tap dancing isn't a sport, I rest my case [/GeorgeCarlin]

Originals from me:
- Culvers: being built in places outside the region by retirees (AZ and FL)
- Florida in general, turned upside down.
- Pony cars - you can't drive them at any conditions other than clear (when it is sunny, they're fun as ever!)  Jeeps (Wrangler/Gladiator) are better convertibles!
- Texas.  They may have higher speed limits, but they have Nazi cops.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Max Rockatansky

Pony cars do look pretty good though sitting in a garage full of signs:

https://flic.kr/p/2nhe1v7

But it's true, that Challenger is about the most useless thing I've ever owned unless it's totally dry. 

kphoger

Quote from: skluth on April 28, 2022, 05:14:02 PM
I've made plenty of pumpkin pies from scratch in my lifetime. Every pumpkin pie recipe I've used called for mostly cinnamon with some combo of cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and/or allspice for spices. Not one called for "pumpkin spice." Pumpkin spice does not exist in nature; it's just a marketing gimmick though I'm sure Durkee's or someone else has a premixed version in the spice aisle.

Well yeah, that's exactly what pumpkin pie spice is:  a combination of those spices you just mentioned.  You might as well say 'hot sauce' doesn't exist in nature–so people should instead rehydrate and process dried chilies, then mix it with water, vinegar, salt, and maybe some garlic powder and/or cumin.  How is that really all that different?

Quote from: skluth on April 28, 2022, 05:16:00 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 28, 2022, 04:52:43 PM
Voting.

So often, "get out there and vote" is touted as the ultimate path to change society–when in fact, there are likely a couple of other paths a person could pursue instead that would have more real impact.

Anybody who has ever been denied the right to vote will disagree.

Yes, fair answer.  I was not dismissing voting as a right or as an institution.  I was merely suggesting that it shouldn't be held up as the most powerful political voice an individual has.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 28, 2022, 05:17:48 PM
The Electoral College makes individual voting in Presidential Elections basically worthless.

Without the Electoral College, voting in presidential elections would be basically worthless for a lot of people too, just in a different way and for different people than it is now.  For a society as large and diverse as the USA, I'm not sure there's a perfect solution.

Quote from: Brandon on April 28, 2022, 05:48:34 PM
Soccer.

I had considered saying that, but I didn't want people *cough*Bruce*cough* to get upset.

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 28, 2022, 06:13:42 PM
I'm glad this thread wasn't about the literal underscore character being overrated, because then I'd have to fight Kyle. :P

You'd win, I'm sure, no matter what sort of fight.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wriddle082

The entire state of North Carolina
(Sorry to my NC friends!)

kphoger

I didn't realize North Carolina was so highly rated to begin with.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

Quote from: kphoger on April 28, 2022, 08:12:41 PM
Quote from: Brandon on April 28, 2022, 05:48:34 PM
Soccer.

I had considered saying that, but I didn't want people *cough*Bruce*cough* to get upset.

This whole thread is designed to make everyone mad at everyone else. Gloves are supposed to be off.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

snowc

Quote from: wriddle082 on April 28, 2022, 08:13:48 PM
The entire state of North Carolina
(Sorry to my NC friends!)
Oh No, we are doomed!  :wow:

snowc

Amazon.
Doesnt allow users to track Amazon packages, resulting in surprise. Not even sending shipping emails anymore.
But however, getting them on my phone!  :clap:
Well played Amazon, you deserved the overrated star!  :D

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

roadman65

Manfred Manns Blinded by the Light.  That song should go into the vault and join the Jethro Tull song Too Old To Rock n Roll.  The latter was one of many to go into the vault after being popular for a short time.  However the former we get stuck hearing over and over for several decades.

The John Morgan of Morgan and Morgan is.  His voice on radio is so annoying and his ads elsewhere is too overkill.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on April 28, 2022, 08:40:15 PM
Sliced bread

I mean, I like sliced bread oka-a-a-ay, I guess...  but it's hardly the gold standard against which all innovation should be measured.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman65 on April 29, 2022, 09:57:12 AM
Manfred Manns Blinded by the Light.  That song should go into the vault and join the Jethro Tull song Too Old To Rock n Roll.
Yeah.

The funny thing is, both Bruce Springsteen's version of Blinded by the Light and Manfred Mann's version of Spirits in the Night are great.

Henry

Yankee Stadium

California

Clearview

Top-40 music

DirecTV
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

thenetwork

Most major collegiate sports, especially in basketball:

64+ mens basketball teams (they may have won their conference or division titles, but even if they didn't, they still may get in) get to go to play "on the road to the Final Four".  This includes a few colleges you've never heard of....

But if you didn't make it to "the dance", you still might make it to the NIT tournament which is another bracket game with dozens of colleges. 

And if you miss getting into that tournament, then your team must really, really, REALLY suck goat balls. 

And then over in football, why do you have these perennial powerhouse colleges over-bragging about how good they are year after year?  Because they purposely schedule "creampuff" games in the first half of their season to pad their records with 50+ point routs of of schools that are not even close in terms of competitiveness levels. Have the stronger teams play a more difficult schedule each year like they do in the NFL.

And speaking of the NFL:  Dallas Cowboys:  America's team.   I am an American, they are not my team.

bm7

White chocolate and dark chocolate

80s music

Diamonds

hbelkins

Moderated forums. (Really, content moderation/censorship in general).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.