News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Disney reportedly explores launching an Amazon Prime-style membership program

Started by bing101, September 01, 2022, 04:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

https://news.yahoo.com/disney-reportedly-explores-launching-amazon-161156657.html
Interesting if true but at the same time Disney is looking how Amazon Prime and Comcast's Peacock models are to keep viewers to Disney+ and Hulu apps respectively.

Scott5114

I mean, the reason Amazon Prime is successful is because once you have it, you start funneling more of your purchases through Amazon because you want to make the most of it. If you have Amazon Prime and you need sponges, you could wait until you go to the grocery store on Wednesday, or you could just get them on Amazon for no additional fee and get them on Tuesday.

I don't see that working with Disney. Most people don't spend enough on Disney to make any sort of subscription beyond Disney+ make sense. And it's not like you're going to choose Disney over, I don't know, Scotch-Brite or something.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 01, 2022, 07:05:17 PMI mean, the reason Amazon Prime is successful is because once you have it, you start funneling more of your purchases through Amazon because you want to make the most of it. If you have Amazon Prime and you need sponges, you could wait until you go to the grocery store on Wednesday, or you could just get them on Amazon for no additional fee and get them on Tuesday.
The thing about Amazon Prime is that there is Amazon original content that you literally cannot watch unless you have Amazon Prime.  And then you end up subscribing to HBO Max, AMC+, Paramount+, etc through Amazon because then you don't have to download separate apps to your Roku/phone/tablet/what have you (and I'm sure Amazon gets a cut of that).

Once COVID was in full swing and the stories of Amazon's piss-poor treatment of its employees started getting out, I was able to dramatically reduce the amount of items I was buying from Amazon without too many issues.

SectorZ

Flipping this on its head, I wish there was an Amazon Subprime for those of us who don't want to subsidize the TV shows (especially the ridiculous cost of the Thursday night NFL games) and just get the stuff prime was invented for.

bing101

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 01, 2022, 07:05:17 PM
I mean, the reason Amazon Prime is successful is because once you have it, you start funneling more of your purchases through Amazon because you want to make the most of it. If you have Amazon Prime and you need sponges, you could wait until you go to the grocery store on Wednesday, or you could just get them on Amazon for no additional fee and get them on Tuesday.

I don't see that working with Disney. Most people don't spend enough on Disney to make any sort of subscription beyond Disney+ make sense. And it's not like you're going to choose Disney over, I don't know, Scotch-Brite or something.

Consider this one the Disney Bundle is a factor here and I seen these promos during the NBA Finals and between news segments on ABC News to promote their apps. It won't be shocking if this Prime plan that Disney is proposing gets more attention once the NBA Season starts.

https://www.disneyplus.com/welcome/disney-hulu-espn-bundle?cid=DSS-Search-Google-71700000059616273-&s_kwcid=AL!8468!3!581536710363!b!!g!!disney%20bundle&gclid=Cj0KCQjw08aYBhDlARIsAA_gb0duthM79BDUW8ZnbdWPTVF6RwRB00GYly_a2m4KpPJWF7Fsy8JWfosaAvIGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.