News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

CO-21 and Reaserch Pkwy interchange construction

Started by MCRoads, September 02, 2022, 02:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCRoads

Looks like almost all work is done, they are now completing research under the bridge. All roads will probably be open sometime later in the month, or sometime next month. Glad to see that this didn't go over budget or get behind schedule.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Bobby5280

I drove through there last week while up in the 'Springs area visiting family. I'm happy to see this intersection being changed from a traffic light stop to a freeway exit. But a whole LOT more work needs to be done along the Powers Blvd corridor.

They need to convert more at-grade intersections into freeway exits farther South -starting with the Dublin intersection and moving downward. Stetson Hills Blvd, Barnes, N Carefree Circle, S Carefree Circle and Constitution Ave need to be upgraded badly. Lots of locals use Tutt Blvd around the back side of the Carefree Circle development as a means of getting around the traffic mess along Powers Blvd in that area.

Generally speaking CDOT, Colorado Springs planners, etc are falling farther and farther behind with needed road improvements in the Colorado Springs metro. It just takes them too long to get even modest projects completed. It took them almost 20 years just to extend the South end of Meridian Road past Woodmen Rd down to US-24. And US-24 needs to be four-laned out to at least Peyton. So much development has gone up in the Falcon area over the past decade. But this is yet another example of CDOT not even managing to do the bare minimum to keep up.

I don't know what's going on with I-25 on the South side of Colorado Springs. It looks like they're doing a complete re-build of the main lanes near Fountain. The traffic back-ups being caused by the construction are a real mess though. I hope the end result is at least a 3x3 lanes configuration. I-25 thru Colorado Springs really needs to be at least a 4x4 configuration. They did a big re-build years ago just to go from 2x2 to 3x3. They should have went from 2x2 to 4x4.

MCRoads

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 05, 2022, 03:57:01 PM
They need to convert more at-grade intersections into freeway exits farther South -starting with the Dublin intersection and moving downward. Stetson Hills Blvd, Barnes, N Carefree Circle, S Carefree Circle and Constitution Ave need to be upgraded badly. Lots of locals use Tutt Blvd around the back side of the Carefree Circle development as a means of getting around the traffic mess along Powers Blvd in that area.

Generally speaking CDOT, Colorado Springs planners, etc are falling farther and farther behind with needed road improvements in the Colorado Springs metro. It just takes them too long to get even modest projects completed. It took them almost 20 years just to extend the South end of Meridian Road past Woodmen Rd down to US-24. And US-24 needs to be four-laned out to at least Peyton. So much development has gone up in the Falcon area over the past decade. But this is yet another example of CDOT not even managing to do the bare minimum to keep up.
Definitely agree with that. Supposedly that is the long term plan, as well as extending the freeway north to 25 near Northgate, and south near the speedway. However, that has been the plan for the last 20 years, sooo... yeah.

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 05, 2022, 03:57:01 PM
I don't know what's going on with I-25 on the South side of Colorado Springs. It looks like they're doing a complete re-build of the main lanes near Fountain. The traffic back-ups being caused by the construction are a real mess though. I hope the end result is at least a 3x3 lanes configuration. I-25 thru Colorado Springs really needs to be at least a 4x4 configuration. They need a big re-build years ago just to go from 2x2 to 3x3. They should have went from 2x2 to 4x4.
I am so sorry to tell you, but it will still be 2x2. They are just replacing the sub-roadbed, as evidently there was some type of problem, and they need to replace it. No 3x3, sorry.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

more room plz

Bobby5280

Quote from: MCRoadsDefinitely agree with that. Supposedly that is the long term plan, as well as extending the freeway north to 25 near Northgate, and south near the speedway. However, that has been the plan for the last 20 years, sooo... yeah.

The extension of Powers Blvd from its current North end at Interquest Parkway up to I-25 has at least started. The interchange with I-25 and freeway stub to Voyager Parkway is done. Now they just have to finish the rest of the freeway down to Powers. At least they have the ROW set aside already. I'm kind of surpised they were able to even propose any of this at all. The freeway will cut through the North part of the Flying Horse golf course. I'm guessing CDOT will build at least one or more golf cart friendly pedestrian bridges over the roadway. It looks like Flying Horse Club Drive will get a freeway exit.

CDOT should have done freeway work on Powers Blvd from Woodmen Road down to Platte Ave (US-24) over 20 years ago. I heard some of the original intentions with Powers Blvd involved a real freeway, but it got shot down by various anti-roads politicians within the city government as well as outside influences. I guess after many years of putting up with traffic snarls the city built grade separated freeway style exits piece-meal, one at a time in various locations around the 'Springs, including Powers Blvd. Maybe Powers Blvd will eventually be 100% limited access from Platte up to I-25 someday.

Also, what's the latest on that "Banning Lewis Ranch" parkway or freeway or whatever it is? Is that effort pretty much dead or what? Meanwhile I think CDOT or whoever has the jurisdiction needs to look at building some grade separated intersections along Woodmen Road.

Quote from: MCRoadsI am so sorry to tell you, but it will still be 2x2. They are just replacing the sub-roadbed, as evidently there was some type of problem, and they need to replace it. No 3x3, sorry.

Well that really really sucks. All that pain is being inflicted on motorists over a significant period of time with no real benefits in the end.

The Ghostbuster

This isn't about the Research Parkway interchange's construction, but why does CO 21 become CO 16 at Mesa Ridge Parkway? It makes no sense to me, since I think the 21 designation should have continued to Interstate 25. It would be logical if the segment of Mesa Ridge Parkway east of the 16/21 intersection were part of either 16 or 21, but it is not. Also, the exit numbers are awkward. The US 24 east exit should be numbered Exit 10, not Exit 141. I prefer mileage-based exits to be numbered based on the highway's actual mileage.

US 89

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 06, 2022, 05:26:37 PM
This isn't about the Research Parkway interchange's construction, but why does CO 21 become CO 16 at Mesa Ridge Parkway? It makes no sense to me, since I think the 21 designation should have continued to Interstate 25. It would be logical if the segment of Mesa Ridge Parkway east of the 16/21 intersection were part of either 16 or 21, but it is not.

My bet is it allows for 21 to be extended further south if local need, money, and CDOT political climate ever allow for such a thing.

I prefer mileage-based exits to be numbered based on the highway's actual mileage.

Which makes things awkward when the route may eventually get extended behind mile zero...

zzcarp

This isn't about the Research Parkway interchange's construction, but why does CO 21 become CO 16 at Mesa Ridge Parkway? It makes no sense to me, since I think the 21 designation should have continued to Interstate 25. It would be logical if the segment of Mesa Ridge Parkway east of the 16/21 intersection were part of either 16 or 21, but it is not. Also, the exit numbers are awkward. The US 24 east exit should be numbered Exit 10, not Exit 141. I prefer mileage-based exits to be numbered based on the highway's actual mileage.

Short answer is that the long term plan has been to extend CO 21 south to tie into I-25 south of Fountain. Then CO 16 would end at CO 21 and take care of the current end-on designation switch.

As for the mile markers, I can't give a definitive answer, but they seem to match up with I-25 or US 85 mile numbers. Perhaps once the southern extension happens, they will renumber them to something more logical.
So many miles and so many roads

Elm

Edit, about Powers & Research in particular:

It was exciting to see this project finally start, and now to see it wrapping up. I haven't been through there for a while–does anyone know if there signs of auxiliary lanes around any new ramps? I didn't know if they're making any big changes outside of the immediate interchange area; I remember feeling like aux lanes would be nice for the Union-Old Ranch segment, too.

I was also wondering if backups at Dublin or 83 were looking any different. I had heard that things were pretty bad at Research with the signal before, but I don't know if the nature of the through traffic would make things worse with that light gone.

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 06, 2022, 12:21:20 PM
Quote from: MCRoadsDefinitely agree with that. Supposedly that is the long term plan, as well as extending the freeway north to 25 near Northgate, and south near the speedway. However, that has been the plan for the last 20 years, sooo... yeah.

The extension of Powers Blvd from its current North end at Interquest Parkway up to I-25 has at least started. The interchange with I-25 and freeway stub to Voyager Parkway is done. Now they just have to finish the rest of the freeway down to Powers. At least they have the ROW set aside already. I'm kind of surpised they were able to even propose any of this at all. The freeway will cut through the North part of the Flying Horse golf course. I'm guessing CDOT will build at least one or more golf cart friendly pedestrian bridges over the roadway. It looks like Flying Horse Club Drive will get a freeway exit.
It might be coming up sooner than later. It's come up at the last few Colorado Springs Urban Renewal Authority board meetings; unfortunately, recent meeting videos aren't accessible, but there are some linked notes here. The Copper Ridge Metro District (essentially, the Polaris Pointe development) is driving that, but the city also put the extension on the PPRTA 3 proposal list; CDOT isn't really involved aside from signing off on designs and eventually accepting the road as Highway 21.

It surprises me too that they finagled this corridor preservation. Dedicating right-of-way for Powers was a condition of annexing Flying Horse and approving the plan, and somehow it hasn't come up as a controversial issue as things have become more concrete lately. Of course, there's always time for that to happen later–how many people took note of "Proposed Powers Blvd (Freeway)" when they were picking lots in the new development, or had any idea in a resale case?

I'm holding out a little bit of hope for some ramps around Flying Horse Club Drive, but it seems unlikely. The way the plans were set up, there would be a grade separation there, and CDOT gave the Flying Horse developer permission to add ramps. Come 2018, they expanded the developed area into the northwest quadrant. (Minutes here have some more discussion.) The reason I keep a small bit of hope is that apparently, anecdotally, Ridgeline Dr and the intersection with Voyager is kind of gross and busy, so you could maybe get enough complaints to have the south-side ramps put it at FHC Dr. But probably not.

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 06, 2022, 12:21:20 PMAlso, what's the latest on that "Banning Lewis Ranch" parkway or freeway or whatever it is? Is that effort pretty much dead or what? Meanwhile I think CDOT or whoever has the jurisdiction needs to look at building some grade separated intersections along Woodmen Road.
Banning Lewis Parkway is planned as a major arterial which will generally be built with four lanes and expandable to six (possibly just be eating the median). The first tiny segment of it has been built a bit north of (but not yet connecting to, I believe) Dublin Blvd, to give the lightest touch of redundant access to first set of houses to the east of its ROW. Other developments are getting going that could get it from Stetson Hills to Woodmen in the coming years, but the part that'll probably come soonest is just north of Woodmen, in Percheron.

On the downgrade, in 2018, the city and Norwood (the developer that owns most of BLR) finalized an annexation agreement update that changed BL Pkwy from a freeway to an arterial and reduced the right-of-way dedication requirements (from 300ft plus interchange space to 142ft). Excess ROW already dedicated could be vacated. The plan-amending for BLR is so piecemeal that it's hard to say how it'll come out in the end, but you can see Norwood's intention in this map from their website.

Unfortunately with Woodmen, they seem to be headed in the direction of chipping away access control with new RIROs and building uncomfortably close to the signalized intersections. Woodmen east of Powers is already designated an expressway, but the ConnectCOS draft proposes calling the rest of it to I-25 the same (ditching the "Parkway" classification that it and part of Austin Bluffs had). There's also a proposal to study moving US 24 to it and downgrading the rest of US 24 a major arterial. (See the classification map here.)

---

On extending Powers south of Mesa Ridge Pkwy, there's a PEL study in progress now. Meanwhile, some development plans are coming in for the extension area between Mesa Ridge Pkwy and Squirrel Creek Rd, so we might see a path form or some interim roadways.

Bobby5280

If CDOT (or whoever) has any real intentions on extending Powers Blvd to the South of Mesa Ridge Parkway they had better start securing corridor ROW as soon as possible. Quite a bit of new housing has been getting built in that area. There is a visible, obvious "escape route" to the South for Powers Blvd at the corner of CO-16/CO-21 and Mesa Ridge Parkway. But if the highway planners fart around long enough that escape route will get blocked off by a lot of new McMansions.

It's disappointing to hear the Banning Lewis Ranch Parkway will end up being no better than yet another divided street pigged out with traffic lights.

Regarding the intersection with Powers Blvd and Flying Horse Club Drive, it still looks like there is enough ROW preserved to allow a somewhat narrow diamond interchange. The ROW does spread out diagonally at that intersection. It seems like an obvious spot for a freeway exit. The location is 1.25 miles North of the Powers/Interquest intersection. It's also about 1.75 miles from the freeway stub from I-25 to Voyager Pkwy.

MCRoads

Quote from: Elm on September 06, 2022, 06:53:46 PM
Edit, about Powers & Research in particular:

It was exciting to see this project finally start, and now to see it wrapping up. I haven't been through there for a while–does anyone know if there signs of auxiliary lanes around any new ramps? I didn't know if they're making any big changes outside of the immediate interchange area; I remember feeling like aux lanes would be nice for the Union-Old Ranch segment, too.

I was also wondering if backups at Dublin or 83 were looking any different. I had heard that things were pretty bad at Research with the signal before, but I don't know if the nature of the through traffic would make things worse with that light gone.

The ramps on/off powers have been completed. Reasearch pkwy under the bridge still isn't complete though, so thu traffic still needs to use the U-turn ramps on powers.
Interstates traveled:

more room plz

MCRoads

Interstates traveled:

more room plz

74/171FAN

Is there an exit number on CO 21 for the new exit?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.