News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 2

Started by Strider, July 18, 2013, 11:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thegeet

I think US 83 will be the initial designation, and I-2 will be signed months later.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Thegeet on June 14, 2022, 06:25:04 PM
I think US 83 will be the initial designation, and I-2 will be signed months later.

I have a feeling you are correct.  Sign it as US-83 now because it has to have a number when it first opens, then sign it as I-2 so all the politicians can get together for the sign unveiling and back slap each other.  US-83 will be the dress rehearsal, I-2 will be the wedding. 

vdeane

^ Can't they just have AASHTO and FHWA approve the I-2 extension to sign it from the start?  They'd have to go to AASHTO to realign US 83 anyways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Thegeet

Quote from: vdeane on June 15, 2022, 12:49:08 PM
^ Can't they just have AASHTO and FHWA approve the I-2 extension to sign it from the start?  They'd have to go to AASHTO to realign US 83 anyways.
I'm not sure. Only reason I say US 83 will come first is due to my experience with I-69. The Driscoll bypass for instance was signed initially as US 77.

yakra

US83 relocation was approved by AASHTO back in spring 2016. I don't believe there's been approval for I-2 specifically.
Makes sense having that designation come later if the Maine [sic] lanes are being built in a separate phase later.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

GreenLanternCorps

The Ghostbuster

Once the La Joya Bypass of Interstate 2/US 83 is completed, the Sullivan City-to-Roma segments will likely be constructed next. Past Roma, future 2 could probably be built really close to existing US 83, save for the future bypass around Zapata.

Bobby5280

Has TX DOT decided whether they're going to build the Sullivan City segment of I-2 on a new alignment South of town or will they do upgrades along the existing US-83 alignment?

edwaleni

Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 20, 2022, 10:50:06 PM
Has TX DOT decided whether they're going to build the Sullivan City segment of I-2 on a new alignment South of town or will they do upgrades along the existing US-83 alignment?

The original discussion was south of Sullivan City until about Buena Vista. I don't think its funded, therefore no route has been formalized.

Thegeet

roadman65

How come I-2 isn't being extended with these bypasses? Did AASHTO reject the idea of extending it?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

edwaleni

Here is the current position of TxDOT Pharr District on the extension of road improvements all the way to Roma.

At this point the project is being called "TX-195 Loop". Waiting on a regional highway study due in August 2024.

https://riograndeguardian.com/alvarez-txdot-wants-to-build-a-relief-route-to-us-83-in-starr-county/

Listen to the entire video, he explains their thinking all the way to Laredo.

abqtraveler

Quote from: roadman65 on September 23, 2023, 02:22:44 PM
How come I-2 isn't being extended with these bypasses? Did AASHTO reject the idea of extending it?
The bypass of La Joya is not quite finished, even though part of it is open. Even if it were completed, the paperwork to get the I-2 designation approved will take some time to get through the FHWA and AASHTO approval processes before I-2 signs are installed on the La Joya Bypass.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Bobby5280

Hopefully the government agencies involved won't slow-walk progress with I-2 for decades, although that's likely what will happen. They won't be prepared for the population growth that region is likely to experience.

Laredo already has over 200,000 people. More than a million live in the Rio Grande Valley cluster of cities. The Roma-Rio Grande City area has over 60,000 people officially -the video mentions the possibility of that area being under-counted in the last Census.

In a positive scenario where American manufacturers increasingly shift foreign production away from China to points elsewhere Mexico could be a great option for them to relocate factories. Some of that depends on us Americans changing some of our dirty, illegal habits which keep Mexico stuck in its current situation. Otherwise manufacturers will look to other nations like Vietnam or even countries in Africa. If Mexico does become a landing spot for a lot more manufacturers it will dramatically increase border traffic and development along the border. That could happen in a time line far shorter than the decades it now takes to build any new Interstate highway.

edwaleni

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 24, 2023, 03:56:14 PM
Hopefully the government agencies involved won't slow-walk progress with I-2 for decades, although that's likely what will happen. They won't be prepared for the population growth that region is likely to experience.

Laredo already has over 200,000 people. More than a million live in the Rio Grande Valley cluster of cities. The Roma-Rio Grande City area has over 60,000 people officially -the video mentions the possibility of that area being under-counted in the last Census.

In a positive scenario where American manufacturers increasingly shift foreign production away from China to points elsewhere Mexico could be a great option for them to relocate factories. Some of that depends on us Americans changing some of our dirty, illegal habits which keep Mexico stuck in its current situation. Otherwise manufacturers will look to other nations like Vietnam or even countries in Africa. If Mexico does become a landing spot for a lot more manufacturers it will dramatically increase border traffic and development along the border. That could happen in a time line far shorter than the decades it now takes to build any new Interstate highway.

American interest in "dirty, illegal" substances is nothing new. Even the Egyptians imported shrooms from the Gauls to feed certain habits. Doesn't make it right, just saying that things like this parallel human expansion globally.

Unfortunately I-2 will be competing with the various I-69 efforts for funding.  My guess is that if the "Port to Plains" efforts gets any traction (a different thread) then perhaps it will pick up as well.

Bobby5280

Quote from: edwaleniAmerican interest in "dirty, illegal" substances is nothing new. Even the Egyptians imported shrooms from the Gauls to feed certain habits. Doesn't make it right, just saying that things like this parallel human expansion globally.

This situation is still pretty unique because of the sheer scale of its effects on Mexico and the rest of Central America. And I didn't call the substances involved "dirty." It's the choices and actions of Americans which are dirty.

We shouldn't forget the immense level of hypocrisy involved either. So many Americans look down their noses at Mexico and other countries farther South as if the problems of corruption and violence are only their fault. We have at least some blame to shoulder for the violence and despair down there. It's mostly American money that keeps the drug cartels and other criminal organizations operational. They use money from American consumers to destabilize police and government functions from the local to national level. It's partly our fault so many people are trying to escape nations from Venezuela on up to come here. We've helped ruin their countries with our dirty illegal habits.

If it wasn't for the damned illegal drug industry Mexico could probably be an economic power house. So much potential is being lost in manufacturing, tourism, agriculture and various other industries.

edwaleni

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 25, 2023, 07:13:51 PM
They use money from American consumers to destabilize police and government functions from the local to national level.

The CIA has been doing that since WW2.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you except that it doesn't have much to do with I-2.

Can we get back to that?

rickmastfan67

Let's get off the non-road politics, shall we?

The Ghostbuster

On Google Maps, the new bypass of La Joya is listed as I-2 East and I-2 West. However, there are no other markers along the bypass, as neither Interstate 2 nor US 83 is shown. This will likely be rectified in time.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 29, 2023, 11:58:40 AM
On Google Maps, the new bypass of La Joya is listed as I-2 East and I-2 West. However, there are no other markers along the bypass, as neither Interstate 2 nor US 83 is shown. This will likely be rectified in time.

Don't think it's gonna be I-2, at least not right away.  Google jumped the gun there.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/QgmnFKWYMyahFYFz8

Bobby5280

I saw a headline from the Rio Grande Guardian newspaper saying that freight traffic between Laredo and the Rio Grande Valley is forecast to increase nearly 400% by 2050. There is no freight rail line going from Laredo to RGV. All that traffic is going to be trucks on highways. The study recommended limited access relief routes for Sullivan City, Rio Grande City, Roma, Zapata and San Ygnacio.
https://riograndeguardian.com/by-2050-freight-between-laredo-and-rgv-is-forecast-to-increase-by-nearly-400/

Sullivan City is next in line for the I-2 upgrade parade. It's not clear if Sullivan City would be bypassed to the South or if attempts would be made to build a new freeway along existing US-83 thru the middle of Sullivan City. A bypass going South of Sullivan City would provide a better connection to the town of Los Ebanos.

West of Sullivan City it looks like US-83 could be upgraded to Interstate standards in place thru East Lopez, Alto Bonito, La Casita-Garciasville and just short of La Puerta, where a bypass around the Roma-Rio Grande City metro would have to begin.

edwaleni

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 29, 2023, 12:55:01 PM
I saw a headline from the Rio Grande Guardian newspaper saying that freight traffic between Laredo and the Rio Grande Valley is forecast to increase nearly 400% by 2050. There is no freight rail line going from Laredo to RGV. All that traffic is going to be trucks on highways. The study recommended limited access relief routes for Sullivan City, Rio Grande City, Roma, Zapata and San Ygnacio.
https://riograndeguardian.com/by-2050-freight-between-laredo-and-rgv-is-forecast-to-increase-by-nearly-400/

The Border Pacific Railroad and the Rio Grande Valley Switching RR runs between Rio Grande City and Harlington. But it does not reach Laredo along the RGV.  In fact, in the history of Texas, I don't think *any* railroad was built south of Laredo. They all went east or north.

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

The Ghostbuster

No exit numbers? That disappoints me. Maybe numbers will be added when the La Joya Bypass officially becomes part of Interstate 2.

abqtraveler

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 17, 2023, 01:48:35 PM
No exit numbers? That disappoints me. Maybe numbers will be added when the La Joya Bypass officially becomes part of Interstate 2.
Well, it's not quite finished yet, as they're still working at the west end where it ties into the old road. I would suspect that TxDOT will apply to extend the I-2 designation once the La Joya Bypass is fully complete.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.