News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Seeking route suggestions for a Toledo --> Baltimore trip

Started by wanderer2575, April 16, 2016, 11:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

The missus and I are roadtripping from the Detroit area to Baltimore in a couple weeks.  I've done the OH Turnpike --> PA Turnpike to Breezewood --> I-70 route to death from when my brother used to live in D.C. and I'd appreciate any suggestions on alternate routes.  I don't mind some freeway or turnpikes, and some of that will be necessary since we'll have only a day and a half to get out there (maybe a little more time coming back), so even some suggestions of shorter alternate segments are welcome.  Bonus for scenic drives or opportunities for good sign photos (especially sine salad).  A few weeks back someone mentioned here the Mountain Maryland Byway off I-68 west of Cumberland and that's definitely a possibility.

Related question:  I know the PA Turnpike does a toll rape on eastbound motorists entering from OH.  Is there a similar charge somewhere on the westbound side?

Thank you!   :biggrin:

Mapmikey

Suggestions:  take your favorite way to Columbus, then US 33/US 50/I-79/I-68...

You could also alter this to drive the very scenic and empty US 48 from Davis to Strasburg, VA...

Mike

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 16, 2016, 11:13:33 AM
The missus and I are roadtripping from the Detroit area to Baltimore in a couple weeks.  I've done the OH Turnpike --> PA Turnpike to Breezewood --> I-70 route to death from when my brother used to live in D.C. and I'd appreciate any suggestions on alternate routes.  I don't mind some freeway or turnpikes, and some of that will be necessary since we'll have only a day and a half to get out there (maybe a little more time coming back), so even some suggestions of shorter alternate segments are welcome.  Bonus for scenic drives or opportunities for good sign photos (especially sine salad).  A few weeks back someone mentioned here the Mountain Maryland Byway off I-68 west of Cumberland and that's definitely a possibility.

Related question:  I know the PA Turnpike does a toll rape on eastbound motorists entering from OH.  Is there a similar charge somewhere on the westbound side?

The route I'd recommend is US 23 south to Columbus, then I-70 east to I-79 south to I-68 east. It's a toll free, very scenic, and much smoother ride.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

signalman

Yes, right after crossing from NJ.  So it's not an issue for you unless you're looking to clinch the PA Turnpike westbound when returning home.

vtk

My first thought was to do something with US 30 or US 250. Perhaps that's a good seed of an idea if the way via Columbus and a bunch of Interstates doesn't appeal to you.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

westerninterloper

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 16, 2016, 11:37:36 AM

You could also alter this to drive the very scenic and empty US 48 from Davis to Strasburg, VA...

Mike

If you've got time, I'd follow part of this route, but not head up to I-68;

Get to Athens, O, then take the 4-lane US 50 east to about Clarksburg WV, where it intersects with I-79. Then you have a few options, all 2-lane roads, to get yourself to to Davis WV. 

At Davis, US 48 East is a four-lane highway (mentioned above), completely empty. That will take you to Strasborg, VA, the western end of I-66. That will take you straight into DC.

I was surprised to see that Athens is only about 5 1/2 hours from DC.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: westerninterloper on April 16, 2016, 03:08:29 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on April 16, 2016, 11:37:36 AM

Mike

If you've got time, I'd follow part of this route, but not head up to I-68;

Get to Athens, O, then take the 4-lane US 50 east to about Clarksburg WV, where it intersects with I-79. Then you have a few options, all 2-lane roads, to get yourself to to Davis WV. 

At Davis, US 48 East is a four-lane highway (mentioned above), completely empty. That will take you to Strasborg, VA, the western end of I-66. That will take you straight into DC.

I was surprised to see that Athens is only about 5 1/2 hours from DC.

He's on a bit of a time crunch, and I-95 from DC to Baltimore is probably miserable to drive on.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on April 16, 2016, 12:28:04 PM

The route I'd recommend is US 23 south to Columbus, then I-70 east to I-79 south to I-68 east. It's a toll free, very scenic, and much smoother ride.

Suggestion 2: I-80 east to I-77 south to I-70 east to I-79 south to I-68 east. A little more northerly, but still a good, scenic route. The only downside to this over the other route is that there is a toll for this route.
I's traveled:

Mapmikey

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on April 16, 2016, 03:29:13 PM

He's on a bit of a time crunch, and I-95 from DC to Baltimore is probably miserable to drive on.

Then he could use US 340 to Frederick (either directly from I-66 at Exit 7 or use I-81 north to VA 7 east to Berryville) to pick up I-70...

hbelkins

Get to Weston, WV, by whatever route you prefer (I've seen others suggest US 33 from Columbus to US 50 to get to Clarksburg, then take I-79 south about 20 miles to US 33 at Weston. Or if you want a two-lane route for a break after the four-lane, US 50 east from Clarksburg to US 250 south which intersects US 33 just west of Elkins.) Then follow the Corridor H route (US 33 east to US 219 north to its intersection with WV 32 at Thomas, then south very briefly on WV 32 to WV 93, which becomes signed as US 48 where the four-lane starts northeast of Thomas. Once you get to I-81, you have a few options to get to Baltimore. When I drove the Corridor H route to get to the Baltimore area a few years ago, I took VA 7 east from Winchester to US 340 to connect with I-70. You can use I-66 to US 340 if you want more of a rural feel. Or if you have a pressing urge to take I-66 all the way to the DC area before you head to Baltimore. you can do that too.

I find the Corridor H route to be very scenic, and there are a couple of overlooks. I don't find the unfinished portions (US 219 from Kerens to Thomas, and US 48 from Wardensville to Strasburg) to be that terribly bad, as they don't carry a whole lot of traffic.

Coming back, I-68 or its Scenic US 40 parallel works. For something different, exit when US 40 splits west of Cumberland and follow it over to Uniontown and then on to I-70 and Wheeling.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

Staying on US 50 east to WV 24 south to US 219 to WV 32 Davis appears to be much shorter...

froggie

QuoteHe's on a bit of a time crunch, and I-95 from DC to Baltimore is probably miserable to drive on.

Not as miserable as you're alluding to.  Capital Beltway (making the connection from 66 to 95) would be much worse.  And there are other options as Mapmikey mentioned upthread.

1995hoo

I did the US-50 and Corridor H route in 2012 on the way home from Dayton after getting feedback on this forum. Took Route 50 across to Clarksburg, then south to Weston. The one twist I put on it was to detour southeast from Elkins to go past Seneca Rocks because my wife had never been to that area before. We then picked up Corridor H in Moorefield. Scenic route that added a decent bit of time. Next time I'd just head directly up to the Davis/Thomas area (bearing in mind also that Corridor H extends further west now than it did when I made this drive). We liked the route so much that we agreed there's no reason to use the traditional Interstate route via Pennsylvania on any of our future trips to Dayton or Indianapolis. Route 50 (Corridor D) is a four-lane divided highway with a 65-mph speed limit, no traffic lights for around 80 miles, and almost nobody on the road. Corridor H east of Davis is similar. We actually got from Dayton home to Northern Virginia in less time via this route than we would have on the Interstate. The only thing I don't like is that the satellite radio reception isn't so great through some of the mountainous areas. We had postseason baseball on the radio last time and had to give up for an hour or so. But that's a minor issue that would not affect most people.

BTW, the reason for dropping south to Weston was that the general sentiment of the folks here was that while US-50 is excellent west of I-79, it is not excellent east of I-79 because it becomes a slower twisty slog. I don't mind two-lane roads, but I do mind them when it's hard to pass.

Another possibility, but one that involves various tolls, would be to use the PA-43 toll road down to Uniontown, then US-40 past Nemacolin to connect to I-68 in Maryland. Scenic drive and the toll road is empty, but US-40 can be a little bit slow, and you do have to watch your speed (more often than not when I go that way there is a cop at the state line). If you're pressed for time, this may not be the best option, but I mention it because I think it's useful just to have all the various possibilities out there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thenetwork

If you enter the PA Tpk from I-79/Cranberry and head west toward Ohio, you are pretty much toll free until you hit Ohio.  However, a quick 50 cent toll, and an exit at I-680/Youngstown, you could follow I-680->Free I-80->Free I-76 all the way to Akron, then US-224->US-250->US-20 (or SR-2) back to Toledo.

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 16, 2016, 10:32:11 PM
Staying on US 50 east to WV 24 south to US 219 to WV 32 Davis appears to be much shorter...

Yes, but it's a slow drive.

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on April 17, 2016, 05:33:57 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on April 16, 2016, 10:32:11 PM

Yes, but it's a slow drive.

WV 24 and US 219 north of Davis can be driven at near-highway speeds.  US 219 between Elkins and Davis is not quite as bad as US 50 east of US 250 but it is not exactly quick.

Google puts the route via WV 24 as both 20 miles shorter and 20 minutes faster...

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 17, 2016, 07:34:51 PM

WV 24 and US 219 north of Davis can be driven at near-highway speeds.  US 219 between Elkins and Davis is not quite as bad as US 50 east of US 250 but it is not exactly quick.

Nope, but I think it's an absolutely gorgeous drive. Unfortunately, the last time I drove it (in September, on my way to Annapolis) it was socked in with fog and drizzle in 40-degree weather, especially the mountain between Parsons and Thomas.

rawmustard

You may know this already, but once you get east of Oregon's commercial area, OH 2 moves great all the way to the I-90 merge and Cleveland. From there, you could take I-77 to I-76 in in Akron or pick up US-422 on the east side of the metro area. There is a brief two-lane section near Parkman, but you really aren't slowed down too much. You could then catch the OH 82 bypass around Warren, take OH 11 down to East Liverpool, clinch the very small portion of US 30 in West Virginia, then basically stay on 30 until you get to I-376. You could then take I-79 to I-68 to bypass Pittsburgh and any Pennsylvania Turnpike-controlled roads. We noticed on our trip to York that the PA Turnpike charges above and beyond in comparison to Ohio and Indiana, so when I did the drive going out, I basically only did the PA Turnpike between Monroeville and Breezewood, using I-80 from the Ohio Turnpike to OH 11 for the East Liverpool route as described above but obviously taking I-376 through Pittsburgh. (It requires a tolerance of slowing down approaching the tunnels, but the view coming out of the Fort Pitt tunnel is worth it.) Since you say you have more time coming back, you could drive up to Harrisburg and then take the US22/322 freeway north along the Susquehanna, and then use 322 to I-99 to get to I-80. There are plenty of options both fast and scenic.

wanderer2575

Thanks, all, for some great suggestions.  I think I've settled on:

To Baltimore:  From Toledo, I'll head south on I-75 to Findlay to check out progress of the reconstruction and widening.  Then OH-15 and US-23 to US-30 at Upper Sandusky.  I'll take US-30 east across the state to Lisbon for some sine salad photos, meander southeast on a route TBD to I-68, perhaps check out some of the Mountain Maryland Byway, and stop for the night around Cumberland.  I'll finish up the next day on I-68 (with some detours along segments of Scenic US-40) and I-70 into Baltimore.

From Baltimore:  I'm really intrigued with the suggestion of US-48; I hadn't thought of it.  It's a little out of the way and I have a little more schedule tolerance on the return trip, so I'll do it then.  Plus, for a reason I really can't describe, I'd rather drive it westbound.  I'll take US-340 over to WV-7 or WV-277, to I-81, to US-48.  Gonna be tough passing so close to Front Royal and Shenandoah National Park (my favorite) without entering, but I'll have to grit my teeth and be determined.  From Davis, I'll work my way north to I-68.  I'm thinking that by that time, the wife and I will have had enough of traveling and will want to get home, so it could be all interstate freeways from there.

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 22, 2016, 11:15:00 PM
Thanks, all, for some great suggestions.  I think I've settled on:

To Baltimore:  From Toledo, I'll head south on I-75 to Findlay to check out progress of the reconstruction and widening.  Then OH-15 and US-23 to US-30 at Upper Sandusky.  I'll take US-30 east across the state to Lisbon for some sine salad photos, meander southeast on a route TBD to I-68, perhaps check out some of the Mountain Maryland Byway, and stop for the night around Cumberland.  I'll finish up the next day on I-68 (with some detours along segments of Scenic US-40) and I-70 into Baltimore.

From Baltimore:  I'm really intrigued with the suggestion of US-48; I hadn't thought of it.  It's a little out of the way and I have a little more schedule tolerance on the return trip, so I'll do it then.  Plus, for a reason I really can't describe, I'd rather drive it westbound.  I'll take US-340 over to WV-7 or WV-277, to I-81, to US-48.  Gonna be tough passing so close to Front Royal and Shenandoah National Park (my favorite) without entering, but I'll have to grit my teeth and be determined.  From Davis, I'll work my way north to I-68.  I'm thinking that by that time, the wife and I will have had enough of traveling and will want to get home, so it could be all interstate freeways from there.

Glad we could help.
I's traveled:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.