Future of Remote Work and Highways in the Great Lakes

Started by 3467, January 24, 2021, 05:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

There are several huge office centers the the region led by Chicago and the Twin Cities but also Detroit and Milwaukee.
Kastle.com monitors office occupancy in major cities. National average is 23 and Chicago is just 18.5 for the metro. This is below state covid  requireme.The city is really dependant over half of all private sector jobs are downtown. This is from Where Workers Work. Most manufacturing is near the tollways .
Traffic has really been affected Chicago really doesn't have a morning rush. Afternoons the Kennedy is light out but heavy in. The Sevenson seems to have actual backups mostly from The Ryan to Damen Cicero.
The Tollways are clear and the arterials seem unblocked.
Minneapolis seems to have no rush hour.
The Tollway says truck traffic is normal. Car still way down in summer.

I have thrown some ideas and data out and we can follow what develops.

Brandon

For my experience, the Eisenhower backs up at the Strangler Tuesday through Friday (oddly not Monday) and through the Avenues just before the Des Plaines River in the morning rush.  Then, in the evening, the Ike then backs up anywhere from Kostner to Cicero for the lane drop at Austin.  Then there's a secondary backup at the curves under the rail tracks just west of Harlem.

As for I-355, I-88, and I-55, they're all smooth sailing unless there's a crash.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Revive 755

Quote from: Brandon on January 24, 2021, 05:50:31 PM
As for I-355, I-88, and I-55, they're all smooth sailing unless there's a crash.

NB I-355 gets unstable, if not full stop and go near I-290.  SB is similar south of North Avenue.

I-55 has issues between I-355 and IL 53 - NB has had the right lane back up outside of rush hour.

ChiMilNet

No way around it, I-290 between the Strangler and Chicago City Limits needs to be rebuilt. COVID has reduced the traffic, but it still shows its age and inadequacy. I am surprised that the left hand exits in Oak Park didn't get mentioned yet. At the very least, this section needs a rebuild and widening, either way. The Central Tri-State (I-294) rebuild is really picking up into full gear, and I think some work is expected to start near I-290/I-88, which will be a mess, but is sorely needed! Once that is all done, combined with the new I-490 Tollway completion, I-294 should move pretty well throughout. Rest of the tollways are pretty good, though I-88 may get an extra lane eventually B/W IL-59 and Aurora (not needed immediately, IMO).  I-55 needs an extra lane b/w The Dan Ryan and at least I-355. Just South (West) of I-355, there should at least be a full auxilary lane between there and IL-53. I will also be curious how the Kennedy (I-90/190) moves WB once the construction near Cumberland is finished, although, I think the WB backups may continue a bit, as there is a short merge just before Harlem that seems to also contribute to the issues, and IDOT is doing nothing about that. Also, I-57 South of I-80 needs at least 3 lanes through Will County (and possibly even as far South as Kankakee). Finally, I'll throw in that I-80 needs to be 3 laned each way through the whole state (but we'll start with getting it at least to Morris).

edwaleni

Quote from: ChiMilNet on January 25, 2021, 09:57:36 AM
No way around it, I-290 between the Strangler and Chicago City Limits needs to be rebuilt. COVID has reduced the traffic, but it still shows its age and inadequacy. I am surprised that the left hand exits in Oak Park didn't get mentioned yet. At the very least, this section needs a rebuild and widening, either way. The Central Tri-State (I-294) rebuild is really picking up into full gear, and I think some work is expected to start near I-290/I-88, which will be a mess, but is sorely needed! Once that is all done, combined with the new I-490 Tollway completion, I-294 should move pretty well throughout. Rest of the tollways are pretty good, though I-88 may get an extra lane eventually B/W IL-59 and Aurora (not needed immediately, IMO).  I-55 needs an extra lane b/w The Dan Ryan and at least I-355. Just South (West) of I-355, there should at least be a full auxilary lane between there and IL-53. I will also be curious how the Kennedy (I-90/190) moves WB once the construction near Cumberland is finished, although, I think the WB backups may continue a bit, as there is a short merge just before Harlem that seems to also contribute to the issues, and IDOT is doing nothing about that. Also, I-57 South of I-80 needs at least 3 lanes through Will County (and possibly even as far South as Kankakee). Finally, I'll throw in that I-80 needs to be 3 laned each way through the whole state (but we'll start with getting it at least to Morris).

While the Ike reconstruction is currently in planning, it was deferred a few years ago, but not for the reasons most people expected. (lack of funds)

IDOT said they were deferring in an attempt to build more ridership on Metra and the CTA from the west. It was working for awhile, as rush times increased, more people were shifting over to transit.

But it did not offset reductions on other lines. Much of the reduction (they claim) is being caused by a steady, constant stream of employment out of the expensive downtown Chicago and out to greenfield build outs.

FWIW: Ike congestion always starts between 6:30 & 6:45AM. Why?

That is when the UPS and FedEx trucks/vans come out to start deliveries.

As for the Twin Cities, the relative success of the North Star has motivated others on the east and west sides to start looking at their own transit means. While the offset is never 1 to 1, the State of Minnesota is pushing transit over road expansion.

Detroit just doesn't have the population anymore to match their highway capacity. There is still a regeneration in the central biz district, but overall traffic volumes are not as high as the roads were planned for and it may never reach them again.

It will probably be 2024, perhaps 2025 before we see how far back to 2018 it becomes from a highway/transit use pattern.

If any of these states want to do major reconstruction of their urban highways, now is the perfect time.

I-39

Quote from: edwaleni on January 25, 2021, 10:19:15 AMDetroit just doesn't have the population anymore to match their highway capacity. There is still a regeneration in the central biz district, but overall traffic volumes are not as high as the roads were planned for and it may never reach them again.

It's not just the highway capacity, but the airport as well. Detroit Metropolitan Airport is way bigger than it needs to be.

In a story about Fitch reaffirming its ratings it reports Tollway  passenger traffic down 20%. If that is permanent then with the widening the tollways  w not have congestion issues.
Also retail has changed to online so less retail generated traffic but more delivery vehicles.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: 3467 on January 25, 2021, 01:28:36 PM
In a story about Fitch reaffirming its ratings it reports Tollway  passenger traffic down 20%. If that is permanent then with the widening the tollways  w not have congestion issues.
Also retail has changed to online so less retail generated traffic but more delivery vehicles.

It's really doubtful that its permanent.  My guess is that by fall, more than half that traffic will be back.

thspfc

Today, Madison's Beltline was the least busy I've ever seen it.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: thspfc on January 25, 2021, 11:33:40 PM
Today, Madison's Beltline was the least busy I've ever seen it.
Might have something to do with today's snowstorm, too. ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.