News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Keystone Parkway - Carmel, IN

Started by mgk920, May 22, 2010, 03:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Found an interesting item on InDOT rebuilding Keystone Ave (IN 431) in Carmel, IN into essentially a 'Freeway Liteā„¢' and then turning it over to the city.  Design changes at the city's insistence (replacing the planned standard diamond interchanges with narrow-profile 'dogbone' roundabouts) greatly improved this project and, IMHO, serves as an example that should be followed in MANY other places.

:cheers:

http://www.carmellink.org/

It almost looks like it could be a part of the planned US 31 upgrades.

Enjoy!

:thumbsup:

Mike

Truvelo

On the front page of that link the black car at the start of the animation seems to be a Ford Mondeo mk3 which is exactly the same model as mine. I don't believe it's sold in North America.
Speed limits limit life

tdindy88

Having been down Keystone it is definently a neat road to go down, when the project is completed of course. As for the US 31 project, I believe the Keystone project is supposed to be completed before the US 31 project begins so it can serve as an alternative route for traffic. Also, the roundabout designs from the Keystone project have been implemented on a few of the planned interchanges along US 31. Before Carmel took over Keystone the plans were to widen SR 431 (Keystone) to six lanes and keep the stoplights, needless to say this was a better alternative.

Stephane Dumas

Too bad then then the Keystone parkway couldn't be upgraded into a "freeway-lite" down to I-465.

A "dogdone roundabout" is also planned on US-31 at 131th street.

And for US-31, did INDOT studied the possibility to build US-31 as a "texas freeway" style with frontage roads between I-465 and 116th street?

tdindy88

That stretch of US 31 won't be "Texas" style, but there are some simililarities with the design. As for US 31, the Indianapolis Star just stated today that that project is also being placed on a fast track and will start next year with work on the SR 38 interchange north of Westfield, followed by work on the 146th St. interchange, now that I think of it, I think that intersection will have some Frontage Roads along side the highway for a short distance, but it's been a while since I've seen the plans for it.

Stephane Dumas

I think there might be another expressway who could be upgraded into a full-freeway with the "dogbone roundabout" like IN-431, the urban stretch of US-71 in Kansas City.

mukade

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 10, 2010, 09:22:20 AM
I think there might be another expressway who could be upgraded into a full-freeway with the "dogbone roundabout" like IN-431, the urban stretch of US-71 in Kansas City.
Just an FYI, Keystone is no longer SR 431. The road is very nice now, but that upgrade was not cheap. This improvement came into being only because of the Major Moves infusion of cash.

mukade

Another proposal for an interchange on Keystone Parkway - this time at 96th Street. Three issues I see are no funding for an expensive project, businesses there not wanting yet more construction, and INDOT is still completing an upgrade there that would have to largely be ripped up.

Proposed changes for 96th Street and Keystone (WTHR)

NWI_Irish96

Right now, Keystone is getting a lot of extra traffic because there is just the one stoplight through Carmel where US31 still has a dozen or so.  Once the US31 upgrade is completed, that will reduce traffic on Keystone, so I wonder if it's really worth all that money just to remove one stoplight [and this coming from a guy who is almost always in favor of upgrading roads in order to eliminate stoplights].
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

mukade

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 28, 2011, 08:33:04 AM
Right now, Keystone is getting a lot of extra traffic because there is just the one stoplight through Carmel where US31 still has a dozen or so.  Once the US31 upgrade is completed, that will reduce traffic on Keystone, so I wonder if it's really worth all that money just to remove one stoplight [and this coming from a guy who is almost always in favor of upgrading roads in order to eliminate stoplights].
Actually, two stoplights remain on Keystone (former SR 431). There is also one at 99th Street. I think US 31 might have about seven (soon 6) signals from Keystone to I-465, but I agree on questioning this project. The timing is all wrong. Carmel already got $90M from INDOT for Keystone, INDOT just did an additional costly interchange improvement/widening on Keystone at I-465, and the Major Moves money is mostly spent. You have to see the effects of the widened Keystone at the very least unless Carmel/Indianapolis want to go alone on this.

tvketchum

From what I had read, Carmel was pushing for this upgrade.

tdindy88

Just my own thought on the subject as I was there last Saturday (Saturday morning in fact) and had to endure about five minutes going both ways there. A roundabout, or even a tight diamond interhchange or a SPUI would not be bad in that location. Keystone Avenue and the surrounding Keystone at the Crossings mall and business park generate a whole lot of traffic that are not going to be frayed just because US 31 is going to be a freeway, so traffic flow around there is going to be mostly consistent.

Now as for the timing, if they were to do this, and if they aquire the funds which right now are nonexistant if I understand correctly, then they should at least wait a year. With the Allisonville Road bridge closing next year for a few months there will a bigger load given to Keystone. Let the dust settle down around 465 and Keystone and study how the traffic flows thorugh the area, see if fixing the 465 interchange fixed the traffic or if the 96th Street intersection is still the problem. If trafficflow is improved and cars are moving through better, leave the intersection alone, if not, then you should think about building your interchange there. As for the businesses there, this is the cynical in me, but the only thing that will hurt their businesses in the long run is the fact that traffic will no longer be able to stare at their signs for five minutes, you moved to a heavily traveled intersection in the city, deal with it. But again, give it a year before making your move.

Indyroads

They are going to need a project AVONLINK next, that Rockville Road is a complete mess.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

NE2

Are the Goog and OSM correct about Keystone now having exit numbers? As of the Goog's July 2015 photos, none are posted.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NWI_Irish96

Last time I was through was December, and there were no exit numbers then. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

there are no exit numbers, the tiny signs that are there just tell you the name of the roads

ibthebigd

They finally built an exit at 96tb street

SM-G950U

silverback1065

Quote from: ibthebigd on April 27, 2020, 11:46:31 AM
They finally built an exit at 96tb street

SM-G950U

yes it opened in november 2019.  final touches will be done this year.  still need some paving and curb work.  another roundabout will be added at 96th and haverstick this year.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.