News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 11

Started by Interstate Trav, April 28, 2011, 12:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwellada

Quote from: kernals12 on December 05, 2021, 03:43:34 PM
Almost every drop of water that Arizona uses, excluding that for agriculture, finds its way back into the Colorado River as treated sewage.

Can't return what doesn't get allocated or provided in the first place. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyhow, I hope they don't extend I-11 past Phoenix.

silverback1065

Quote from: kernals12 on November 17, 2021, 07:40:14 AM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 16, 2021, 11:44:51 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on November 16, 2021, 10:48:09 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 16, 2021, 10:27:00 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on November 16, 2021, 10:14:01 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 16, 2021, 09:57:30 PM
Yeesh.  Everything south of I-10 is just a developer pork project rather than one designed to further the transportation needs of regional travelers.  Why not just send it down AZ 85 to I-8 and terminate there?  That would fill in a genuine gap in the interstate system and not put in pointless extra mileage.  And why does it need to overlap or replace I-19?  If I-19 were to be replaced by something, I'd rather it be I-17 so that I-17's numbers would at least (appear to - they'd still be off by ~20 miles) make sense.  Is this some back-door way to force I-19 away from metric?

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 16, 2021, 08:49:11 PM
The purpose of I-11 is to get trucks from Nogales to Las Vegas, while bypassing Phoenix.
That's not what we were told back when I-11 proponents were trying to get traction to get the project started.
I don't think you realize just how much Arizona is projected to grow in the future. If that growth happens in existing cities, it will mean more congestion and less livability. Sprawl means that existing communities aren't faced with the burdens of more people.

But west of the White Tank Mountains?  Who is going to live all the way the hell out there when there is no direct access over that range over than slogging all the way down to I-10?  The most practical path I-11 could have took was down US 60 and AZ 303 to reach I-10.  At least if I-11 went down to I-8 via AZ 85 it would serve as a long haul bypass of Phoenix from the Tucson and border areas around Nogales.

As a matter of fact, they're planning two freeways in that area.

That map is close to 15 years old -- ancient and obsolete.  It's so old that it calls the Gateway Fwy AZ 802 (it's AZ 24), and the Tres Rios Fwy AZ 801 (it will be AZ 30),  With the route of I-11 going so far west, I don't know when or if they'll ever build the Loop 404, which was supposed to be taken over by I-11.

The Gateway Fwy is currently being expanded, but only the ramps and the ground-level pavement, similar to the original construction of AZ 51, 40 years ago.  There's no funding yet to upgrade it to a full freeway.

The Tres Rios is being fast-tracked, from what I've heard, because of the extreme overload on I-10 in the West Valley.  It's still many years away from completion.

The Pinal North/South Fwy has just been approved, but it also is not funded.  There is also funding to complete the Loop 303 as a full freeway in Peoria, including full ramps at I-17.  AZ 85 will also be upgraded to a full freeway between I-10 and I-8, but when it happens is anybody's guess.

Those are the only freeways that are guaranteed to get built in the next decade.  I-11 will eventually get done, but it will remain US 93 for the unforeseeable future, even after 4-laning is complete.

You can throw away every other freeway proposal.  Not gonna happen in my lifetime (and I'm 66).

There's enough planned development up there to justify a freeway connecting I-11 to Loop 303.

And ADOT has issued an EIS for the Pinal North South Freeway

The Great Recession delayed a lot of growth for the Phoenix area, but now it's back on track and they need to prepare for an extra 2-3 million people by the middle of the century. Most of these extra people will be living in the West Valley and Pinal County.

There's not enough water for that many more people.

kernals12

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 06, 2021, 08:58:31 AM
Yeesh.  Everything south of I-10 is just a developer pork project rather than one designed to further the transportation needs of regional travelers.  Why not just send it down AZ 85 to I-8 and terminate there?  That would fill in a genuine gap in the interstate system and not put in pointless extra mileage.  And why does it need to overlap or replace I-19?  If I-19 were to be replaced by something, I'd rather it be I-17 so that I-17's numbers would at least (appear to - they'd still be off by ~20 miles) make sense.  Is this some back-door way to force I-19 away from metric?

The purpose of I-11 is to get trucks from Nogales to Las Vegas, while bypassing Phoenix.
That's not what we were told back when I-11 proponents were trying to get traction to get the project started.
I don't think you realize just how much Arizona is projected to grow in the future. If that growth happens in existing cities, it will mean more congestion and less livability. Sprawl means that existing communities aren't faced with the burdens of more people.

But west of the White Tank Mountains?  Who is going to live all the way the hell out there when there is no direct access over that range over than slogging all the way down to I-10?  The most practical path I-11 could have took was down US 60 and AZ 303 to reach I-10.  At least if I-11 went down to I-8 via AZ 85 it would serve as a long haul bypass of Phoenix from the Tucson and border areas around Nogales.

That map is close to 15 years old -- ancient and obsolete.  It's so old that it calls the Gateway Fwy AZ 802 (it's AZ 24), and the Tres Rios Fwy AZ 801 (it will be AZ 30),  With the route of I-11 going so far west, I don't know when or if they'll ever build the Loop 404, which was supposed to be taken over by I-11.

The Gateway Fwy is currently being expanded, but only the ramps and the ground-level pavement, similar to the original construction of AZ 51, 40 years ago.  There's no funding yet to upgrade it to a full freeway.

The Tres Rios is being fast-tracked, from what I've heard, because of the extreme overload on I-10 in the West Valley.  It's still many years away from completion.

The Pinal North/South Fwy has just been approved, but it also is not funded.  There is also funding to complete the Loop 303 as a full freeway in Peoria, including full ramps at I-17.  AZ 85 will also be upgraded to a full freeway between I-10 and I-8, but when it happens is anybody's guess.

Those are the only freeways that are guaranteed to get built in the next decade.  I-11 will eventually get done, but it will remain US 93 for the unforeseeable future, even after 4-laning is complete.

You can throw away every other freeway proposal.  Not gonna happen in my lifetime (and I'm 66).

There's enough planned development up there to justify a freeway connecting I-11 to Loop 303.

The Great Recession delayed a lot of growth for the Phoenix area, but now it's back on track and they need to prepare for an extra 2-3 million people by the middle of the century. Most of these extra people will be living in the West Valley and Pinal County.

Yeah there is. Arizona has enough water to sustain a large cotton industry, it has enough water for millions and millions of new residents

silverback1065

Quote from: kernals12 on December 06, 2021, 09:36:33 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on December 06, 2021, 08:58:31 AM

Yeah there is. Arizona has enough water to sustain a large cotton industry, it has enough water for millions and millions of new residents

i sincerely doubt this, water levels continue to decrease and the drought isn't subsiding. now they are instituting cuts. unless i see evidence otherwise.

armadillo speedbump

AZ will only run out of water for political or cheapness reasons.  The Colorado River is not the only option.  They have a near limitless source in the nearby Gulf of California.  When needed, AZ can always chose to strike a deal with Mexico to build desalination plants and a pipeline. 

It is simply a matter of cost and will (and potential political foolishness.)  Right now the state has done a good job of water planning and has no immediate need for a gulf source, but I bet they've studied it at least informally in case circumstances ever warrant additional sources.

This is why climate change hysteria and other woke nonsense is taught as a political religion, to make it a crisis excuse so that logic  and actual facts are ignored.

Back on topic, Estrella will continue to grow southward.  Maricopa will continue to rapidly grow.  Casa Grande is experiencing an industrial boom that will inevitably lead to an increased housing and related support economy boom.  Except for the far south side of Casa Grande, I-8 to an upgraded 85 won't serve that very well or at all. 

We have yet to see evidence that the greater Phoenix area's growth is going to slow anytime soon.  The ChiCom Flu disruption didn't last long, and in fact there's a new inrush tied in part to rising costs/crimes/and political policies in other states, enhanced with the rise (at least for now) in home based work.  A geographic 'Great Resorting' if you will (although this, like so many other Richard Florida type terms, will be soon vastly overexaggerated.) 

Despite the media/political narrative, the data shows that we're still seeing a majority in the younger generations mostly wanting their own home with a yard once they actually have kids (if they can afford such housing.)  The percentage of DINKs may still be increasing, but the empty nesters to urban trend may have reversed in the last year.  Too soon to tell, and there will always be those that prefer urban and the increasing growth of such inner city housing stock, but the crime rise and unrest (and what created that) does seem to cause a rethinking for some of that potential market, based on polling data.   Greater Phoenix still provides much cheaper single family housing than in the many high cost states.  So there's really no data to suggest some great growth slowdown is ahead for the region.  Woke media/academia/Democrat wishcasting notwithstanding.  In fact the rapid rise in illegal immigration will almost surely fuel further growth in border states.

So bottom line, growth along and on the inside of the I-11 corridor (south of I-10) will almost surely happen over the next couple of decades.  I-11 would make an effective outer loop for the southwest and south side (especially considering how much native lands and mountains will push most future growth in those directions fairly close to the route.)  I-8 to an upgraded 85 might, over time, capture more bypassing traffic than now, but that extra 15-minutes versus I-11 would have a big impacton the volume.  15-minutes more congestion required before such a long bypass would make skipping I-10 worth it for many drivers/truckers.  Thus pushing more traffic through Phoenix for longer periods during the day, creating more congestion outside the normal rush hours.

kwellada

Quote from: armadillo speedbump on December 06, 2021, 02:47:57 PM

This is why climate change hysteria and other woke nonsense is taught as a political religion, to make it a crisis excuse so that logic  and actual facts are ignored.

Can't take you seriously, dude. Sorry.

Rothman

Quote from: kwellada on December 06, 2021, 03:13:24 PM

^This.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

I don't think a single fuck is given about your opinion so there you go.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 06, 2021, 05:48:54 PM

I don’t think a single fuck is given about your opinion so there you go.

The fun thing is, no one knows which poster you're talking to!

Rothman

Well, evidently enough of one for you to chime in.

It is hard to take someone seriously that thinks man-made climat change can be ignored because of logic and facts.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Rothman on December 06, 2021, 05:51:47 PM

It is hard to take someone seriously that thinks man-made climat change can be ignored because of logic and facts.
Ah yes, the tired trope of "you must care because you spent 3 seconds out of your day to comment on something you claim not to care about."  *on a discussion board*

Whelp, continue to support turning freeways into boulevards and claiming man made climate change is a fact. One of those I agree with and the other not so much. I'm sure you are smart enough to figure out which is which.

And I'll repeat this, no one gives a fuck about your opinions. Cry about it or don't I don't care. Make sure to I said I don't care. ;)

Rothman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 07, 2021, 12:10:51 AM

Ah yes, the tired trope of "you must care because you spent 3 seconds out of your day to comment on something you claim not to care about."  *on a discussion board*

Whelp, continue to support turning freeways into boulevards and claiming man made climate change is a fact. One of those I agree with and the other not so much. I'm sure you are smart enough to figure out which is which.

And I'll repeat this, no one gives a fuck about your opinions. Cry about it or don't I don't care. Make sure to I said I don't care. ;)

This forum is filled with opinions.  If you don't care about them, one wonders why you spend your time on here.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Rothman on December 07, 2021, 12:13:20 AM

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 07, 2021, 12:10:51 AM

This forum is filled with opinions.  If you don't care about them, one wonders why you spend your time on here.
Blah blah blah

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Renewed roadgeek

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 07, 2021, 04:12:55 AM
All opinions aside, a corridor was approved last month including the extension to Tucson and Nogales:
https://www.pinalcentral.com/maricopa_monitor/news/final-route-for-the-proposed-i-11-selected/article_fc8bca2a-4811-56ad-bb03-3b1a0afcd390.html

Just because ADOT approved a routing for a new freeway doesn't mean it's going to be built anytime soon.  AFAIK, it's still unfunded, which is up to the State Legislature, and has to be approved by three county governments.  Maricopa and Pinal Counties will sign on, if they haven't done so already, but don't hold your breath waiting for Pima County. 

In any case, it's years away from being built south of Wickenburg.  It will be built north of I-40, and the four-laning of US 93 will be completed in the next few years, but that's all that's guaranteed as of now.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Bobby5280

That's a rather creative version of a corridor map. Phoenix is North of Goodyear? That label needs to be scooted a good bit East. They also show the corridor only rather the corridor placed in scale on an Arizona map. That way the route looks more straight and direct than it actually is. The finished product will be a Las Vegas to Buckeye route, or rather several miles West of Buckeye. It ain't Vegas to Phoenix at all.

Zonie

Which is why "Not to Scale" is right there on the map.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 07, 2021, 02:10:23 PM
That's a rather creative version of a corridor map. Phoenix is North of Goodyear? That label needs to be scooted a good bit East.

The city limits of Phoenix extend from the South Mountain Fwy (Loop 202)/Pecos Rd. on the south to about 6 miles north of Carefree Hwy on the north.  Goodyear extends from Camelback Rd. on the north to about 5 miles south of what would be the Pecos Rd. alignment if one existed.  So, yes, Phoenix does go way north of Goodyear.

QuoteThey also show the corridor only rather the corridor placed in scale on an Arizona map. That way the route looks more straight and direct than it actually is. The finished product will be a Las Vegas to Buckeye route, or rather several miles West of Buckeye. It ain't Vegas to Phoenix at all.

And that is exactly what is needed.  The main purpose of I-11 is to get truck traffic between Las Vegas (and eventually Reno) and the Mexican border, while bypassing Phoenix (and Tucson, if the west option is built). 

There is no need whatsoever for a direct Phoenix-to-LV interstate.  US 93 will work perfectly for that, once four-laning north of Wickenburg is complete, and the new ramps at I-40 in Kingman are built and opened 3 years from now.  No interstate is required for car traffic considering that (1) most people in the Phoenix metro area fly to Vegas, and (2), trucks are the bottleneck on 93, as well as US 60 between Loop 303 and Wickenburg, on most days, not cars.  US 60 certainly needs some upgrades in that stretch, but plans to make it a full freeway were scrapped several years ago.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 07, 2021, 02:10:23 PM
That's a rather creative version of a corridor map. Phoenix is North of Goodyear? That label needs to be scooted a good bit East. They also show the corridor only rather the corridor placed in scale on an Arizona map. That way the route looks more straight and direct than it actually is. The finished product will be a Las Vegas to Buckeye route, or rather several miles West of Buckeye. It ain't Vegas to Phoenix at all.

Looks like they barely drew the corridor map if Buckeye is situated south of Phoenix when they are both along I-10.

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on December 07, 2021, 12:23:12 PM
Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 07, 2021, 04:12:55 AM
All opinions aside, a corridor was approved last month including the extension to Tucson and Nogales:
https://www.pinalcentral.com/maricopa_monitor/news/final-route-for-the-proposed-i-11-selected/article_fc8bca2a-4811-56ad-bb03-3b1a0afcd390.html

Just because ADOT approved a routing for a new freeway doesn't mean it's going to be built anytime soon.  AFAIK, it's still unfunded, which is up to the State Legislature, and has to be approved by three county governments.  Maricopa and Pinal Counties will sign on, if they haven't done so already, but don't hold your breath waiting for Pima County. 

In any case, it's years away from being built south of Wickenburg.  It will be built north of I-40, and the four-laning of US 93 will be completed in the next few years, but that's all that's guaranteed as of now.

This is true that it may not be built for another few years to decades, I have only stated that a corridor was approved, which is one small step for the freeway. At least I-11 from Las Vegas to Buckeye (Phoenix area) will be done.
Renewed roadgeek

vdeane

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on December 07, 2021, 04:58:20 PM
And that is exactly what is needed.  The main purpose of I-11 is to get truck traffic between Las Vegas (and eventually Reno) and the Mexican border, while bypassing Phoenix (and Tucson, if the west option is built). 
That's not what we were told.  We were told Phoenix to Vegas.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: vdeane on December 07, 2021, 08:45:47 PM

I first heard of Interstate 11 as a corridor between Phoenix and Las Vegas, with a potential northward extension to Reno-Carson City area.
Renewed roadgeek

KeithE4Phx

We?  You're in New York.  Did you live in Arizona at one time?  I do, and have for close to 30 years.  I don't remember any guarantee of a direct Phoenix-to-Vegas interstate.  We were told that it would be a metro Phoenix-to-Vegas route (and this barely qualifies).  We were also told that truck traffic to and from I-8, 10, 40, and the Mexican border was priority. 

There is no physical way to build I-11 inside the city limits of Phoenix without a whole slew of Eminent Domain and the destruction of a major thoroughfare (Grand Avenue/US 60) that also runs through the downtowns of Glendale, Peoria, Sun City, El Mirage, and Surprise.  That proposal was shot down years ago as impractical and politically impossible.

There is no need whatsoever for another freeway in Phoenix, other than the Tres Rios Fwy/AZ 30, which is funded.  Existing freeways' maintenance needs (upgrades to the I-10/Broadway Curve and the Loop 303 at I-17, for example) must take precedence.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on December 07, 2021, 09:00:22 PM

We?  You're in New York.  Did you live in Arizona at one time?  I do, and have for close to 30 years.  I don't remember any guarantee of a direct Phoenix-to-Vegas interstate.  We were told that it would be a metro Phoenix-to-Vegas route (and this barely qualifies).  We were also told that truck traffic to and from I-8, 10, 40, and the Mexican border was priority. 

There is no physical way to build I-11 inside the city limits of Phoenix without a whole slew of Eminent Domain and the destruction of a major thoroughfare (Grand Avenue/US 60) that also runs through the downtowns of Glendale, Peoria, Sun City, El Mirage, and Surprise.  That proposal was shot down years ago as impractical and politically impossible.

There is no need whatsoever for another freeway in Phoenix, other than the Tres Rios Fwy/AZ 30, which is funded.  Existing freeways' maintenance needs (upgrades to the I-10/Broadway Curve and the Loop 303 at I-17, for example) must take precedence.

This is perhaps why Interstate 11 is being built west of Phoenix in Buckeye instead in addition to bypassing Wickenburg to the west as indicated from the approved corridor. However, it will still be within the Phoenix MSA with it running in Buckeye.
Renewed roadgeek

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 07, 2021, 09:29:04 PM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on December 07, 2021, 09:00:22 PM

This is perhaps why Interstate 11 is being built west of Phoenix in Buckeye instead in addition to bypassing Wickenburg to the west as indicated from the approved corridor. However, it will still be within the Phoenix MSA with it running in Buckeye.

I'm still surprised it's being built so far west.  I would have thought that it would have been routed over AZ 85 between I-8 and I-10, then concurrent with I-10 to Sun Valley Pkwy.  Then north on Sun Valley to where it turns east (which could be a connector between I-11 and Loop 303, to what was proposed as Loop 404, around Wickenburg to US 93.  But that was not to be.

Bobby5280

Quote from: KeithE4PhxThere is no physical way to build I-11 inside the city limits of Phoenix without a whole slew of Eminent Domain and the destruction of a major thoroughfare (Grand Avenue/US 60) that also runs through the downtowns of Glendale, Peoria, Sun City, El Mirage, and Surprise.  That proposal was shot down years ago as impractical and politically impossible.

Who has been saying any of that nonsense? Just about all the people wanting a proper Vegas to Phoenix route simply want US-60 to be 100% Interstate quality between Wickenburg and Loop 303. That isn't too much to ask. This I-11 thing doesn't manage that at all. South of Wickenburg I-11 turns into a North-South route clear on the other side of the mountains away from Phoenix. Anyone driving Vegas to Phoenix is just going to stay on US-60.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.