News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minnesota Notes

Started by Mdcastle, April 18, 2012, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 27, 2021, 04:51:56 PM
Today was also planned to be the day that southbound I-35 is temporarily relocated onto what was its frontage road of Lower Michigan St in Duluth. I hope to get up there Wednesday for fall color viewing if I wake up early enough and check that out too.

I did get to drive it. It's interesting if you can drive it before the old highway is torn down because it gives a nice view of the underside of the old elevated highway. The speed limit is only 40 MPH through this zone.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

TheHighwayMan3561

I noticed some of the temporary I-35W detour congestion measures such as restriping I-394 to be four lanes westbound from 94 to 100 and the auxiliary lane on westbound MN 62 from Valley View Road to northbound MN 100 are now gone. I didn't realize these were their purpose until they were removed.

DJ Particle

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 07, 2021, 01:04:17 PM
I noticed some of the temporary I-35W detour congestion measures such as restriping I-394 to be four lanes westbound from 94 to 100 and the auxiliary lane on westbound MN 62 from Valley View Road to northbound MN 100 are now gone. I didn't realize these were their purpose until they were removed.

I can understand the 394 one....but the aux lane on MN-62's been needed long before the I-35W construction.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: DJ Particle on October 07, 2021, 11:46:46 PM

I can understand the 394 one....but the aux lane on MN-62's been needed long before the I-35W construction.

Yeah, that one annoyed me too because those entry points at France and Valley View are hideous going westbound in the afternoon. That entire stretch from 100 to Penn Avenue badly needs to be rebuilt and updated.

DJ Particle

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 10, 2021, 11:52:39 PM
Yeah, that one annoyed me too because those entry points at France and Valley View are hideous going westbound in the afternoon. That entire stretch from 100 to Penn Avenue badly needs to be rebuilt and updated.

Judging by the concrete laid back in 2011 near crosstown commons, looks like the long term plan is to triple-barrel the whole stretch.

TheHighwayMan3561

The speed limit on the Crosstown portion of MN 62 went up to 60 overnight as had been announced in the spring. I'm assuming they were waiting to finish the rebuild between 212 and Shady Oak Road related to he Southwest LRT before raising the limit.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: DJ Particle on October 07, 2021, 11:46:46 PM

MnDOT explained that they reason they removed the lane was because the shoulder it was created out of was not designed to handle traffic long-term, and that they needed to do an EIS if they wanted to keep it permanently which presumably they don't want to or more likely can't fund it.

https://www.startribune.com/here-s-why-mndot-took-away-a-lane-on-hwy-62-in-edina/600111843/?fbclid=IwAR0ifo7rHnpz9T-cjPc1f7i28asX_NfaQSC15yBhhjZ3I-0pdKkjaFBgKIo

froggie

They're not wrong.  Any permanent lane addition...even if just auxiliary lanes...would require, at a minimum, at least an Environmental Assessment per both state and Federal law.

Trademark

https://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/hwy7slp-hollywood/index.html

MnDot will be doing a traffic study on hwy 7 between hwy 100 and the Carver county line. Hopefully this can result in freeway between 494 and 100

G50

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Trademark on November 03, 2021, 08:08:43 PM

MnDot will be doing a traffic study on hwy 7 between hwy 100 and the Carver county line. Hopefully this can result in freeway between 494 and 100

I think the only thing that really needs to happen on that stretch right now is at Blake/Texas in front of Knollwood Mall, which would effectively result in freeway between 100 and 169. There is a lot of weaving traffic hopping between Blake and Texas on 7 because the entrance to Cub Foods is on Texas, so I wish there was a better way to streamline the connection between those two streets so they're not all getting on 7 for one block and weaving around along the way. West of 169, I think the current expressway is adequate for the time being.

Outside of 494 I think an interchange at County 101 would be fantastic.

andarcondadont

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 03, 2021, 10:56:41 PM

I think the only thing that really needs to happen on that stretch right now is at Blake/Texas in front of Knollwood Mall, which would effectively result in freeway between 100 and 169. There is a lot of traffic hopping between Blake and Texas on 7 because the entrance to Cub Foods is on Texas, so I wish there was a better way to streamline the connection between those two streets. West of 169, I think the current expressway is adequate for the time being.

MnDOT just put in shiny new signal systems along MN 7 at Texas, Blake, and the US 169 ramps. I'm not optimistic about that stretch becoming a freeway in the near future.

Computer Science and GIS student at the University of Minnesota.

EpicRoadways

Some exciting updates on the (mostly) wrap-up of the I-94 Maple Grove to Clearwater project. Looks like the new Dayton Parkway interchange along I-94 between 101 and 610 opened early this morning. As per MNDOT, the rest of the project is wrapping up with the Rogers to Maple Grove section expected to be substantially complete by next weekend and the segment through Albertville expected to be complete by late November. The remaining work from Clearwater to Monticello is scheduled to be complete in 2022 after design changes and I'm assuming various COVID-related shortages pushed the timeline back a year, but that's been known since the spring.

Also of note on the project page is that the westbound I-94 bridge over CSAH 19 in Albertville (originally scheduled to be replaced this year) has been delayed and is now scheduled to be replaced as part of a larger reconstruction project in 2024. Though I can't find anything officially confirming my suspicions, I suspect that this delay in the bridge replacement means that MNDOT is planning to move forward with expanding the final "unfunded" section of 94 from Albertville through Monticello to six lanes. There's been a pavement reconstruction project programmed for that stretch for quite a few years, but it's been up in the air as to whether or not the reconstruction project would include the six-lane expansion. Again, nothing has been confirmed AFAIK, but I suspect we'll be seeing more information about that project soon.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: EpicRoadways on November 06, 2021, 03:25:43 PM
Some exciting updates on the (mostly) wrap-up of the I-94 Maple Grove to Clearwater project. Looks like the new Dayton Parkway interchange along I-94 between 101 and 610 opened early this morning. As per MNDOT, the rest of the project is wrapping up with the Rogers to Maple Grove section expected to be substantially complete by next weekend and the segment through Albertville expected to be complete by late November.

I keep peeking at traffic cameras to see if the new BGSs heading eastbound at 494/694 have been placed yet (they have not), because while control city signage isn't great throughout the metro, having no control cities on the old signs at that interchange was particularly egregious and I really hoped they fixed that with the new signs going up.

TheHighwayMan3561

The ribbon-cutting and celebration of the (mostly) finished US 14 four-lane will take place on Tuesday in Claremont with the new alignment opening to traffic by late in the day.

https://www.postbulletin.com/news/traffic-and-construction/7269030-Grand-opening-for-Highway-14s-new-lanes-is-Tuesday

andarcondadont

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 06, 2021, 04:17:25 PM
Some exciting updates on the (mostly) wrap-up of the I-94 Maple Grove to Clearwater project. Looks like the new Dayton Parkway interchange along I-94 between 101 and 610 opened early this morning. As per MNDOT, the rest of the project is wrapping up with the Rogers to Maple Grove section expected to be substantially complete by next weekend and the segment through Albertville expected to be complete by late November.

I keep peeking at traffic cameras to see if the new BGSs heading eastbound at 494/694 have been placed yet (they have not), because while control city signage isn't great throughout the metro, having no control cities on the old signs at that interchange was particularly egregious and I really hoped they fixed that with the new signs going up.

I will say that the arrow-per-lane signage that was installed at the MN 610 exit is extremely helpful. Speaking of signage, the BGS for the Dayton Parkway interchange has some noticeable extra Green space, possibly because it will be turned up to the county and thus given a number. Same with Maple Grove Parkway at 610, but that's old news. On another note, I was hoping that the "traffic merging from the left" on westbound 94 at 494 would have been fixed, but judging from the markings, it is the same.

froggie

Can anyone confirm the exit number for the Dayton Pkwy interchange?  Traffic cameras aren't pointed in the right directions to see signage.

Roadguy

Quote from: froggie on November 08, 2021, 11:42:35 AM
Can anyone confirm the exit number for the Dayton Pkwy interchange?  Traffic cameras aren't pointed in the right directions to see signage.

Dayton Parkway is Exit 210

froggie

Quote from: Roadguy on November 08, 2021, 11:55:08 AM
Dayton Parkway is Exit 210

Thank you.

Quote from: andarcondadont on November 08, 2021, 12:45:24 AMSpeaking of signage, the BGS for the Dayton Parkway interchange has some noticeable extra Green space, possibly because it will be turned up to the county and thus given a number.

A long-standing plan at both the city and county level is to extend CR 117 east of Fletcher Lane (CR 116) to tie into Dayton Pkwy.  Theoretically, Dayton Pkwy will become a CR 117 extension at that time.

QuoteSame with Maple Grove Parkway at 610, but that's old news.

Yes, a similar scenario here....will become a CSAH 121 reroute once an extension of Maple Grove Pkwy north of 81 to existing 121 is built.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: andarcondadont on November 08, 2021, 12:45:24 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 06, 2021, 04:17:25 PM

I will say that the arrow-per-lane signage that was installed at the MN 610 exit is extremely helpful. Speaking of signage, the BGS for the Dayton Parkway interchange has some noticeable extra Green space, possibly because it will be turned up to the county and thus given a number. Same with Maple Grove Parkway at 610, but that's old news. On another note, I was hoping that the "traffic merging from the left" on westbound 94 at 494 would have been fixed, but judging from the markings, it is the same.

I got up there today as one of the new BGSs for the 494/694 split is posted, and they did add Minneapolis/St. Paul to 94/694 East, thankfully. Bloomington is probably important enough that it could have been used as a control city for 494 (which has none, unsurprisingly), but I guess we can't have everything.

EpicRoadways

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 08, 2021, 03:23:31 PM
I got up there today as one of the new BGSs for the 494/694 split is posted, and they did add Minneapolis/St. Paul to 94/694 East, thankfully. Bloomington is probably important enough that it could have been used as a control city for 494 (which has none, unsurprisingly), but I guess we can't have everything.
Minor aside: I'm glad they've finally started signing both Minneapolis and Saint Paul as control cities. But it does make me wonder... since MNDOT has now proven themselves fully capable of putting two control cities on the same sign, why not bite the bullet and add Fargo along with Saint Cloud to the WB control cities?

Papa Emeritus

Quote from: andarcondadont on November 03, 2021, 11:02:18 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 03, 2021, 10:56:41 PM

I think the only thing that really needs to happen on that stretch right now is at Blake/Texas in front of Knollwood Mall, which would effectively result in freeway between 100 and 169. There is a lot of traffic hopping between Blake and Texas on 7 because the entrance to Cub Foods is on Texas, so I wish there was a better way to streamline the connection between those two streets. West of 169, I think the current expressway is adequate for the time being.

MnDOT just put in shiny new signal systems along MN 7 at Texas, Blake, and the US 169 ramps. I'm not optimistic about that stretch becoming a freeway in the near future.

As an SLP resident, I agree that the Texas / Blake stretch of 7 is a real problem. Traffic to / from Blake is going to get heavier when the light rail station opens, and when a high rise residential complex opens on the site of the former Atlas Cold Storage facility on Blake north of the light rail station.

However, I think fixing it could be really expensive, because it would probably require building a service drive on both sides of 7 between 169 and Texas, and building overpasses of 7 at Blake and Texas. On the south side, this would require demolition of the fast food restaurants and Walgreens, and on the north side, it would require demolition of Papa Murphy's, and taking several rows of parking places from the Knollwood mall parking lot.

It would have been a lot easier to build a service drive with interchanges and overpasses ten years ago, before Knollwood was switched from an indoor mall to an outdoor strip mall, because the roadwork could have been done at the same time Knollwood was rebuilt.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Papa Emeritus on November 09, 2021, 09:01:30 AM
However, I think fixing it could be really expensive, because it would probably require building a service drive on both sides of 7 between 169 and Texas, and building overpasses of 7 at Blake and Texas. On the south side, this would require demolition of the fast food restaurants and Walgreens, and on the north side, it would require demolition of Papa Murphy's, and taking several rows of parking places from the Knollwood mall parking lot.

On the south side I think they could get away with just repurposing Cambridge St as the service drive, maybe tying in to 7 at the currently empty lot where the old Taco Bell was.

TheHighwayMan3561

Have there been any rumblings about what projects would be advanced with the infrastructure money? I realize there's a lot of wrangling to do at the state legislature (which gives me minimal hope for any agreement on matching money coming quickly) but other states seem to already be dropping their wish lists.

TheHighwayMan3561

In turnback news, the handover of MN 156 between I-494 and Grand Avenue in South St. Paul appears to be complete, as the MN 156 shields on I-494 BGS as well as the 494/Concord stoplight interchange signage were patched over with Dakota CSAH 56 shields last week. Ground signs still have yet to be changed over.

andarcondadont

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 16, 2021, 12:33:42 AM
In turnback news, the handover of MN 156 between I-494 and Grand Avenue in South St. Paul appears to be complete, as the MN 156 shields on I-494 BGS as well as the 494/Concord stoplight interchange signage were patched over with Dakota CSAH 56 shields last week. Ground signs still have yet to be changed over.

Should the remainder of MN 156 be turned back sometime later, should we expect the St. Paul portion of that stretch to be maintained by Ramsey County, or by St. Paul?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.