News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Highway W in Manitowoc County is perfectly fine as a county highway.  It goes nowhere of significance.

The Ghostbuster

When Wisconsin converts state highway routes into County Highways, they usually don't revert back to state highways in the future. In other news, I'm looking forward to the reconstruction of the Interstate 39/90 interchange with the US 12/18 Madison Beltline that begins this spring!

gr8daynegb

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 04, 2020, 03:34:28 PM
When Wisconsin converts state highway routes into County Highways, they usually don't revert back to state highways in the future. In other news, I'm looking forward to the reconstruction of the Interstate 39/90 interchange with the US 12/18 Madison Beltline that begins this spring!

WI-156 says hold my 2 mile beer lol
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

dvferyance

So what doesn't mean it can't ever be done. I only mentioned the part between 151 and 10 not the whole route.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on March 05, 2020, 09:43:24 PM
So what doesn't mean it can't ever be done. I only mentioned the part between 151 and 10 not the whole route.

According to the interactive traffic count map, it gets less than 2,000 vehicles per day.  That's not a bad amount for a county highway.  It was decommissioned for a reason and that reason hasn't changed.

I look at Dane County N between I-90 and Sun Prairie, or Rock County N between WI-59 and Whitewater.  Those have counts three or four times that.

mgk920

When the US 10/45 freeway complex was being built west of US (now 'I-') 41 in the early 00s, WisDOT was originally planning to turn the north-south part of the US 45 old road between Oshkosh and Greenville over to the two counties, but their post-construction traffic number projections showed that it would still be carrying more than enough local and regional traffic to warrant it remaining a state highway.  Ditto the US 10 old road west from Appleton to Fremont. 

Thus that part of US 45 became a rerouted/extended WI 76 and US 10 became a westward extension of WI 96 when the new freeways opened in December of 2003.

Mike

thspfc

Quote from: mgk920 on March 06, 2020, 11:18:57 PM
When the US 10/45 freeway complex was being built west of US (now 'I-') 41 in the early 00s, WisDOT was originally planning to turn the north-south part of the US 45 old road between Oshkosh and Greenville over to the two counties, but their post-construction traffic number projections showed that it would still be carrying more than enough local and regional traffic to warrant it remaining a state highway.  Ditto the US 10 old road west from Appleton to Fremont. 

Thus that part of US 45 became a rerouted/extended WI 76 and US 10 became a westward extension of WI 96 when the new freeways opened in December of 2003.

Mike
A rare good decision made by WISDOT.

'I-') 41
You don't need to do that anymore. Anyone who still argues about I-41 five years after the fact is stupid.

Brandon

Quote from: thspfc on March 07, 2020, 08:23:40 AM

Mike

'I-') 41
You don't need to do that anymore. Anyone who still argues about I-41 five years after the fact is stupid.

Not that any Cheesehead calls it anything but "HWY 41" anyway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hobsini2

Quote from: Big John on February 23, 2020, 09:41:30 PM
BTW, IL 84 was IL 80 before I-80 was built.

And IL 40 was IL 88 before IL 5 Tollway was renumbered I-88.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on February 28, 2020, 04:29:55 AM
Speaking of highway promotions, what County Trunk Highways in Wisconsin might be worthy of a promotion to a STH, or a swap with an existing STH?  I would consider County Trunk M in Dane County from Oregon to Verona through Westport.  It certainly has the volume and would be analogous to STH 100 around Milwaukee.  I've seen discussions here of swapping County Trunk A in Dodge County with STH 26 south of Waupun.  Others:

County Trunk M in Vilas County south of Boulder Jct. 
County Trunk PB and STH 69 in Dane County 
County Trunk GG and STH 77 in Ashland County
County Trunk N and STH 59 in Rock County (mostly)–granted, a STH connecting Milton and Edgerton makes sense. 

Dodge County A should be a state highway between Fox Lake and Wis 26. Possibly a rerouted Wis 33 between Fox Lake and Wis 33 east of Beaver Dam. Have the old route be Business 33. South of Wis 33, A could be 326 or 333.

While we are at it, can we please have Wis 127 be turned over to county control? It's a useless road between Portage and Wisconsin Dells as the 2 main ways between those cities are I-90/94 and Wis 16 (which 127 ends at on BOTH ENDS).
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on March 07, 2020, 08:23:40 AM

Mike

'I-') 41

He's not. He's just pointing out it wasn't an interstate at the time.

dvferyance

I was looking at the Northwoods area and I had a better idea for a new number. I noticed Hwy 47 has like a 50+ mile duplex with US 45 and US 8. Would make sense to just eliminate it truncate 47 to Antigo and the Rhinelander to Manitowish segment could get a new number.

GeekJedi

Quote from: dvferyance on March 13, 2020, 09:59:49 PM
I was looking at the Northwoods area and I had a better idea for a new number. I noticed Hwy 47 has like a 50+ mile duplex with US 45 and US 8. Would make sense to just eliminate it truncate 47 to Antigo and the Rhinelander to Manitowish segment could get a new number.

You're right. That's another one of those "do crazy things to create a continuous route" thing that WisDOT occasionally does. I really can't see why it's necessary in this case. I'd think it would be less confusing not to do that.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

dvferyance

Quote from: GeekJedi on March 14, 2020, 09:52:26 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on March 13, 2020, 09:59:49 PM

You're right. That's another one of those "do crazy things to create a continuous route" thing that WisDOT occasionally does. I really can't see why it's necessary in this case. I'd think it would be less confusing not to do that.
It would but on the other so would leaving the other routes alone they keep changing all the time.

SEWIGuy

WIDOT doesn't do a lot of route changes, and when they do I don't think people get all that confused.  Most people navigate by GPS these days and that helps people figure those things out.

dvferyance

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 15, 2020, 08:25:12 AM
WIDOT doesn't do a lot of route changes, and when they do I don't think people get all that confused.  Most people navigate by GPS these days and that helps people figure those things out.
If your outside of Waukesha County I would agree but here we have one section of road that has 3 different designations in less than 2 decades. That says there has been too many changes around here.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on April 02, 2020, 06:28:37 PM
If your outside of Waukesha County I would agree but here we have one section of road that has 3 different designations in less than 2 decades. That says there has been too many changes around here.

What stretch is that?

And you have to know those are exceptions.  And considering Waukesha County's growth, a lot of those changes do make sense.

GeekJedi

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 02, 2020, 08:07:12 PM

What stretch is that?

And you have to know those are exceptions.  And considering Waukesha County's growth, a lot of those changes do make sense.

I think he's talking about the Les Paul Pkwy: 18/59/164
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

SEWIGuy

OK, but that's actually my point.  99% of the people that use the Les Paul Parkway likely don't know or care about the highway designations.  Was there a bunch of confusion when WI-164 and US-18 were relcated onto the Parkway?  Very doubtful. 

People need to remember, that in urban areas, the vast majority of traffic is local.  It's people driving to work, to the store, etc.  Highway designations are largely meaningless.  We live about a mile off of Main Street in Green Bay.  My wife knows it as "Main Street."  She likely has no clue that it carries US-141 and WI-29, and even if she did, she's not navigating by those numbers.  They could take both highways off the local streets and put them on the interstates from one side of town to the other, and it wouldn't impact her one bit.

skluth

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 03, 2020, 12:11:21 PM
OK, but that's actually my point.  99% of the people that use the Les Paul Parkway likely don't know or care about the highway designations.  Was there a bunch of confusion when WI-164 and US-18 were relcated onto the Parkway?  Very doubtful. 

People need to remember, that in urban areas, the vast majority of traffic is local.  It's people driving to work, to the store, etc.  Highway designations are largely meaningless.  We live about a mile off of Main Street in Green Bay.  My wife knows it as "Main Street."  She likely has no clue that it carries US-141 and WI-29, and even if she did, she's not navigating by those numbers.  They could take both highways off the local streets and put them on the interstates from one side of town to the other, and it wouldn't impact her one bit.

I'll second that, at least as far as Green Bay locals.  I grew up in Allouez and still have family all over the area. You could take every highway number and route them all onto I-41/I-43/WI 172 around the city, and the locals would never notice the difference. That you have to traverse roundabout hell to go eastbound on WI-29 once you leave the freeway (most traffic goes N-S on I-41) shows it's not WI 29 most people care about while getting to Shawano Avenue. We only referenced highway numbers when heading out of town.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: skluth on April 06, 2020, 01:20:26 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 03, 2020, 12:11:21 PM

I'll second that, at least as far as Green Bay locals.  I grew up in Allouez and still have family all over the area. You could take every highway number and route them all onto I-41/I-43/WI 172 around the city, and the locals would never notice the difference. That you have to traverse roundabout hell to go eastbound on WI-29 once you leave the freeway (most traffic goes N-S on I-41) shows it's not WI 29 most people care about while getting to Shawano Avenue. We only referenced highway numbers when heading out of town.

I just like hearing my GPS trying to pronounce Shawano and Oneida while in green bay lol.....taking on the roundabouts, not so much
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

skluth

Quote from: gr8daynegb on April 07, 2020, 02:01:56 PM
I just like hearing my GPS trying to pronounce Shawano and Oneida while in green bay lol.....taking on the roundabouts, not so much

LOL. I still remember laughing as a kid watching the Hollywood actors at the CP telethon every year mispronouncing Shawano (my mom's home town), Weyauwega, Winneconne, and all the other local Native tribal names.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: skluth on April 14, 2020, 05:15:32 PM
Quote from: gr8daynegb on April 07, 2020, 02:01:56 PM

LOL. I still remember laughing as a kid watching the Hollywood actors at the CP telethon every year mispronouncing Shawano (my mom's home town), Weyauwega, Winneconne, and all the other local Native tribal names.

There was a Law and Order episode where the "defendent" was from Fond du Lac, but he pronounced it like it was French.  ie, the way no one who is actually from Wisconsin would ever pronounce it.

Then there's this.

https://twitter.com/pastorskidblog/status/1220725563305922560?s=20

dvferyance

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 02, 2020, 08:07:12 PM

What stretch is that?

The part of hwy F between Capitol Dr. and Main st in Sussex. It was 164 until 1999 then 74 until 2016 also the part of 164 south of Waukesha was Hwy F crazy.

mgk920

Heck, the network sports guys seldom get Green Bay right, too.  It is 'green bay' (equal soft emphasis on both words), *not* 'GREEN bay'.

:-P

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.