AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wisconsin notes  (Read 601391 times)

thspfc

• I-180 in Wyoming >>>>> I-70 in Colorado

• Last Login: Today at 10:29:10 AM
Re: Wisconsin notes
« Reply #3375 on: September 22, 2021, 08:02:27 AM »

Wisconsin's second oldest highway tunnel will switch to LED lighting but not before bring closed for two weeks. (last state owned lightning in the NW region to switch to LED lighting)
https://wqow.com/2021/09/21/us-53-exit-tunnel-to-wis-93-will-close-for-lightning-maintenance/
What’s the oldest? Kilbourn Avenue ramp?
Whether a team makes the playoffs isn't comparable to whether they are above .500. Part of making the playoffs is getting the wins when you need them to get in, which Brady/Belichick always found a way to do. That's skill. Being above .500 or below .500 is just however things shake out. That's luck.

skluth

• Last Login: October 19, 2021, 06:02:09 PM
« Reply #3376 on: September 22, 2021, 12:49:09 PM »

Here’s your answer. Wis 29 will be freeway from the Shawano Co line to I-41 when the project is finished.

https://projects.511wi.gov/29vv/wp-content/uploads/sites/682/cthumap.pdf

They ought to just finish the freeway conversion between there and Shawano. Wouldn't be too difficult to do.

There are several small farms on WI 29 between the Shawano/Bonduel bypass and WI 32. It may happen some day, but building access for all those properties is a fair amount of money for a project not currently needed. The expressway works fine for now. There are far more important needs in NE WI, like completing the US 10 expressway in Point to eliminate the stoplights east of I-39.

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: October 18, 2021, 04:12:56 PM
« Reply #3377 on: September 22, 2021, 03:06:52 PM »

Wisconsin's second oldest highway tunnel will switch to LED lighting but not before bring closed for two weeks. (last state owned lightning in the NW region to switch to LED lighting)
https://wqow.com/2021/09/21/us-53-exit-tunnel-to-wis-93-will-close-for-lightning-maintenance/

Kilbourn Avenue ramps are 60's originals.  The tunnel on Howell Ave (WI 38) under the E-W runway at MKE dates to the 70's if my memory is correct.  Then comes the tunnel ramp at US 53/WI 93 (2005).
Since then, we've got College Avenue under the southern tip of the N-S runway at MKE and two of the ramps at the Mitchell Interchange.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

skluth

• Last Login: October 19, 2021, 06:02:09 PM
« Reply #3378 on: September 23, 2021, 06:31:50 PM »

Kilbourn Avenue ramps are 60's originals.  The tunnel on Howell Ave (WI 38) under the E-W runway at MKE dates to the 70's if my memory is correct.  Then comes the tunnel ramp at US 53/WI 93 (2005).
Since then, we've got College Avenue under the southern tip of the N-S runway at MKE and two of the ramps at the Mitchell Interchange.

The Howell Avenue runway tunnel dates back to about 1964.
3. Replacement of the Existing Tunnel with a New Tunnel – With major rehabilitation of the existing tunnel, we recommend that consideration be given to constructing a new tunnel to replace the existing tunnel in 20 years (2040). The existing tunnel will be 76 years old at that time, which is at the end of its expected 75-year service life. Found in the executive summary of the Howell Tunnel Management Plan, PROJECT NO. 5041-16018

peterj920

• Last Login: Today at 12:33:54 AM
« Reply #3379 on: September 24, 2021, 01:42:49 AM »

Here’s your answer. Wis 29 will be freeway from the Shawano Co line to I-41 when the project is finished.

They ought to just finish the freeway conversion between there and Shawano. Wouldn't be too difficult to do.

There are several small farms on WI 29 between the Shawano/Bonduel bypass and WI 32. It may happen some day, but building access for all those properties is a fair amount of money for a project not currently needed. The expressway works fine for now. There are far more important needs in NE WI, like completing the US 10 expressway in Point to eliminate the stoplights east of I-39.

WISDOT abandoned building a new US 10 Stevens Point Bypass east of I-39 so the lights are there to stay. Here’s a link to the story stating that the project is dead.

https://stevenspoint.news/2016/09/01/wisdot-dropping-plans-to-complete-highway-10-bypass-project/

I-39

• Last Login: October 19, 2021, 11:46:38 PM
« Reply #3380 on: September 25, 2021, 06:27:24 PM »

WISDOT abandoned building a new US 10 Stevens Point Bypass east of I-39 so the lights are there to stay. Here’s a link to the story stating that the project is dead.

https://stevenspoint.news/2016/09/01/wisdot-dropping-plans-to-complete-highway-10-bypass-project/

Probably should have pursued this instead of the wasteful Marshfield spur.

SEWIGuy

• Notice: US-2 is not an interstate worthy corridor

• Last Login: Today at 09:57:13 AM
« Reply #3381 on: September 25, 2021, 09:30:00 PM »

I think the Marshfield spur is a lot more useful than a section of roadway that saves maybe two minutes for through traffic.

I-39

• Last Login: October 19, 2021, 11:46:38 PM
« Reply #3382 on: September 26, 2021, 12:00:24 AM »

I think the Marshfield spur is a lot more useful than a section of roadway that saves maybe two minutes for through traffic.

The Marshfield spur is a poster child for Wisconsin’s wasteful highway spending. The US 10 bypass would at least get more use.

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: October 18, 2021, 04:12:56 PM
« Reply #3383 on: September 27, 2021, 05:03:08 PM »

Well that's what happens when you get a state legislator or two with a big trucking company constantly in their ear.
US 10 should be named the "Roehl Expressway" west of Point for this reason.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

dvferyance

• Last Login: Today at 12:06:29 AM
« Reply #3384 on: October 07, 2021, 07:20:05 PM »

I've been looking into and exploring Wisconsin a lot lately, and I've noticed something with the county trunk road system. There is a SERIOUS lack of County Road L's. As in, there's only a handful in the entire state.

Can anyone explain this mysterious lack of L's?
I also beleive that the only LL that exist in the whole state is the one in Ozaukee County. I beleive just about every other double letter of the same is used quite frequently.

US 12 fan

• Last Login: Today at 11:05:57 AM
« Reply #3385 on: October 08, 2021, 07:34:30 PM »

There is a County L in Kenosha County and in Walworth County.

peterj920

• Last Login: Today at 12:33:54 AM
« Reply #3386 on: October 08, 2021, 11:56:34 PM »

I've been looking into and exploring Wisconsin a lot lately, and I've noticed something with the county trunk road system. There is a SERIOUS lack of County Road L's. As in, there's only a handful in the entire state.

I also beleive that the only LL that exist in the whole state is the one in Ozaukee County. I beleive just about every other double letter of the same is used quite frequently.

County L and County R were not used initially because for advanced warning signs in the past there was the letter L for left and letter R for right. When advanced turn arrow signs replaced the letters, then County L and County R were used. Notice that the ones designated are newer. For example County L in Oneida Co is Old US 51 and County R in Brown/Manitowoc Co is old US 141 when I-43 opened.

SEWIGuy

• Notice: US-2 is not an interstate worthy corridor

• Last Login: Today at 09:57:13 AM
« Reply #3387 on: October 09, 2021, 07:44:50 AM »

County L and County R were not used initially because for advanced warning signs in the past there was the letter L for left and letter R for right. When advanced turn arrow signs replaced the letters, then County L and County R were used. Notice that the ones designated are newer. For example County L in Oneida Co is Old US 51 and County R in Brown/Manitowoc Co is old US 141 when I-43 opened.

Yeah back up the topic I stated this, but thanks for the additional info.

My guess....  Back when these highways were laid out, US and State highways had small "L" and "R" signs to indicate direction instead of arrows.  Counties stayed away from these two letters to avoid confusion because I don't think there are many CTH-R's either.

dvferyance

• Last Login: Today at 12:06:29 AM
« Reply #3388 on: October 13, 2021, 01:14:09 PM »

There is a County L in Kenosha County and in Walworth County.
Eau Claire, Washburn, Lincoln/Oneida, Dodge and Marinette I beleive are the only other ones left. Did I miss any?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.