News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordanah1

Quote from: mgk920 on August 29, 2012, 03:10:59 PM
With the most major impediments out of the way on US 10 between I-39 and I-94 - only one 'slow down' town (Neillsville) left along that way, and it is only a minor slowdown - we'll see if 'word of mouth' on the now faster nature of US 10 starts spreading.

Mike
unfortunatly, i doubt that word of mouth will travel very fast. the whole project began under my radar, and obviously i try to keep up with this stuff. i have never heard of anything relating to the project outside of this site, and my internet searches for information. unlike the US41 project and the I94 north-south project were there is a big dedicated site and brochures and stuff informing people about the changes, there is no big fanfare for this project. everyone is all caught up in their travel impediments moving north-south from illinois to green bay, and are compleatly unaware of the rural projects that are out of their way. i wish that there would be more news coverage, and that local papers would pint articles about state big shovel projects. it would increase awarness, and if people have to make mabey one trip a year to Eau Claire or the twin cities, they would know about these upgrades and would be inclined to use them. maps dont help much either. most paper maps up too the 2011 state map i have seen still dont even show US45 north of oshkosh as having been limited access for half of its length, and a 4lane expressway the rest of the way. hopefully that will change soon now that it is a full freeway (or about to be so, last i saw there were some driveways still on US45 because the new frontage roads werent paved yet)
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

triplemultiplex

I detoured my route Up North through Marshfield yesterday to check out the new facility on US 10.  Certainly it's a faster trip to Marshfield.  There was actually some noticeable traffic leaving I-39 with me.  I still have to shake my head at the pointless WI 13/34 duplex to Rapids.  (34 should end, in my opinion.) Work crews were still removing the temporary connector roadway between the new expressway and the old alignment east of the short Marshfield freeway segment.

I took 10 all the way to the roundabout to drive through downtown.  It seemed to function fairly well.  No complaints here.  Bus 13 is long gone from Marshfield but Central Ave is certainly a nice enough roadway for a state highway.  Makes me want to extend WI 80 over WI 97.

It seems US 10 is now getting exit numbers.  I first noticed new gore signs around Waupaca and all interchanges west of there are now numbered.  Either I didn't notice or they haven't been signed east of Waupaca.  There is a good chance that I missed it though.  The BGS's don't have any exit number tabs yet; the numbers only appear at the gore.  About time a major corridor like US 10 got its exits numbered!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mgk920

^^
I'll be heading out that way, likely tomorrow (Saturday, 2012-09-01), and report back, with an attempt to record interchange numbers if any are up.  I did notice the exit number on the WI 13 west (Veterans Parkway) interchange when I drove that area a couple of months ago.

:nod:

Mike

mgk920

^^

I made the Roadgeekâ„¢ daytrip to the Marshfield area today and found some interesting stuff.

:nod:

Interchange numbers and MPs are posted on US 10 all the way eastward to, but not including, the interchange where US 10 hops off of the freeway.  No pre-existing BGSs east of the section of the US 10 Marshfield Spur that recently opened have been modified so far, though.

Interchange numbers:

• 186 - WI 13 north/County 'A'/Veteran's Parkway
  • 204 - WI 13/34 south
  • 208 - WI 34 north
  • 213 - I-39 north (Marshfield Interchange)
(Note, US 10 uses I-39's interchange numbers and MPs on the combined section)
  • 230 - County 'J'
  • 237 - Lake Rd (EB-off/WB-on ONLY)
  • 238 - County 'B' west (Amherst west)
  • 240 - County 'A'/County 'B' east (Amherst east)
  • (246) - (unbuilt) County 'Q'
  • 250 - WI 49 north/WI 54 west (Waupaca west)
  • 252 - WI 22 south
  • 253 - Churchill St
  • 254 - WI 22 north/WI 54 east (Waupaca east)
  • 260A - WI 110 north/County 'X'
  • 260B - County 'F' (WB-off/EB-on ONLY)
  • 264 - WI 49 south/WI 110 east (Fremont west)
  • 267 - WI 96/WI 110/County 'II' (Fremont east)
  • 273 - US 45 north (Dale Interchange)
  • 276 - US 45 south (Winchester Interchange)
  • 284 - WI 76
  • 286 - County 'CB'
  • 287A-B - US 41(I-xx) (Bridgeview Interchange)
(Note, as of this posting, WI 441 MPs are still posted east of the Bridgeview Interchange, in addition to the new US 10 MPs.  WI 441 interchanges were never numbered.)
  • 289A - County 'P'/Racine St
  • 289B - County 'AP'/Midway Rd
  • 290 - WI 47/Appleton Rd (Memorial Dr)
As of this posting, the remainder of the WI 441 freeway is not interchange numbered and 290 is the highest posted US 10 MP, located between WI 47 and Midway Rd.

If the WI 441 interchanges were to be numbered, they would be (WI 441 MPs):

• 0 - US 41(I-xx) (Bridgeview Interchange)
  • 1 - County 'P'/Racine St
  • 2 - County 'AP'/Midway Rd
  • 3 - WI 47/Appleton Rd (Memorial Dr)
  • 4 - US 10 east/Oneida St
  • 7 - County 'KK'/Calumet St
  • 8 - County 'CE'/College Ave
  • 10 - County 'OO'/Northland Ave
  • 11 - US 41(I-xx) (Northeast Interchange)
Also, US 45 between US 10 (Winchester Interchange) and US 41(I-xx) (Algoma Interchange) is not (yet) MPed nor interchange numbered.

Mike

Mdcastle

I took a road trip to Wisconsin Dells. Had some thoughts about what to do about the traffic there. 1) I'd add a loop in the southeast quadrant of the south US 12/I-90 interchange. That would enable free movements between the interstate and the new US 12 freeway south of there. 2) What I call the "Bingo junction"- Highways 12,13,16, and 23 operates in split phase all directions. The heavy movements are between south and east, and south and west. It looks like there's room to squeeze another lane in the south and east segments, so those could be dual left turn lanes and the signal could be changed to protected. 3) In the downtown area I'd add a signal at Church Street, do what's necessary to provide left turn lanes at Church and Elms streets, and ban left turns at the remainder of the downtown intersections.

I also found it intersting the lights in the median of Wi Dells parkway are a mix of mercury and sodium, with one LED. Apparently they just replace fixtures as they go bad with the lastest technology.

Saw my first vertical WI traffic signal. And noticed some button copy signs are still there on I-94 between Eau Claire and Baldwin. I-94 east of Tomah, and particularly east of Eau Claire used to have some of the worst pavement in Wi I've encountered, but they're slowly fixing it, several places were head-to-head traffic while they were rebuilding the road in concrete, they maintained two lanes in each direction with Jersey barriers.

merrycilantro

This is going to be a bit off topic, but...as I was driving I-39 up north this past weekend, I know that I-39 ends at Wis29. I think it's kind of weird for it to just randomly end in the middle of a state, and seeing as how I don't foresee any construction northward (rightfully so, the northwoods would be one area I would NOT touch), wouldn't it be feasable to run I-39 along Wis29 from Wausau to Green Bay, and at least give I-39 a decent endpoint? Just my opinion, take it for what it is. That opens up 51 for spur numbers, since it would really probably only be interstate grade up to Merrill or so. If ever WisDOT did anything with Wis29 from Wausau to Eau Claire to make it interstate grade, then it could be another spur of either 39 or 94.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: merrycilantro on September 04, 2012, 08:40:41 AM
This is going to be a bit off topic, but...as I was driving I-39 up north this past weekend, I know that I-39 ends at Wis29. I think it's kind of weird for it to just randomly end in the middle of a state, and seeing as how I don't foresee any construction northward (rightfully so, the northwoods would be one area I would NOT touch), wouldn't it be feasable to run I-39 along Wis29 from Wausau to Green Bay, and at least give I-39 a decent endpoint?

Not really.  I would be more feasible to somehow extend I-43 along WI-29...but even that's not very feasible.

JREwing78

The endpoint in Wausau is fine where it is. If they extend it northward to US-8 once the remaining side-road access is closed off on US-51, that's fine too.

Trying to force an endpoint at an Interstate in this situation is kind of silly, and would confuse more than help motorists.

triplemultiplex

On my return trip, via the "normal" route, I noticed that in addition to the new exit numbers, US 10 appears to have new mile markers.   I don't think US 10 had any before.  So that seems to be new as well.
It occurred to me that WisDOT may have waited until this year to add these navigation aids when all the new expressway/freeway construction was completed since that would affect the actual length of US 10 in Wisconsin.

Despite the presence of orange barrels on the shoulders, US 45's freeway conversion between Winneconne and Winchester seems complete.  The overpasses are done, the frontage roads area paved and striped, signs are in, landscaping looks done; I assume all they need to do is collected the barrels and take down the orange signs.  I was confused on my northbound trip Thursday when the left lanes were closed for no apparent reason.

With the summer tourist season over, WisDOT is ready to replace the SB I-39 bridges over the Wisconsin River and Bus US 51.  A VMS indicated work starts next Monday.  Kronenwetter's Maple Ridge Road exit was 3/4ths open and I imagine they'll be dropping the old overpass any day now.  These two projects should fix the final sub-interstate grade features of I-39 in Wisconsin.  (Vertical clearance at Maple Ridge and shoulder width plus accel/decel space at Bus 51.)

mgk920

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 04, 2012, 01:59:35 PM
On my return trip, via the "normal" route, I noticed that in addition to the new exit numbers, US 10 appears to have new mile markers.   I don't think US 10 had any before.  So that seems to be new as well.
It occurred to me that WisDOT may have waited until this year to add these navigation aids when all the new expressway/freeway construction was completed since that would affect the actual length of US 10 in Wisconsin.

Despite the presence of orange barrels on the shoulders, US 45's freeway conversion between Winneconne and Winchester seems complete.  The overpasses are done, the frontage roads area paved and striped, signs are in, landscaping looks done; I assume all they need to do is collected the barrels and take down the orange signs.  I was confused on my northbound trip Thursday when the left lanes were closed for no apparent reason.

With the summer tourist season over, WisDOT is ready to replace the SB I-39 bridges over the Wisconsin River and Bus US 51.  A VMS indicated work starts next Monday.  Kronenwetter's Maple Ridge Road exit was 3/4ths open and I imagine they'll be dropping the old overpass any day now.  These two projects should fix the final sub-interstate grade features of I-39 in Wisconsin.  (Vertical clearance at Maple Ridge and shoulder width plus accel/decel space at Bus 51.)

I noticed the same thing on US 45 when I drove it on Saturday, but I simply forgot to report it.

:meh:

As I also found, WisDOT has added US 10 MPs to the highway all the way to interchange 290 (WI 47/Appleton Rd/(Memorial Dr) on the Appleton/Menasha border.  They must have done that within the last couple of days last week, because I noticed nothing different when I drove it last Wednesday.

:wow:

As I type this, I am busy updating my Yellowstone Trail 'strip' maps to reflect these changes to US 10 and US 45, both of which ran close to, or on, one or more of the YT's various historic routings.

:thumbsup:

Mike

Jordanah1

Quote from: mgk920 on September 04, 2012, 02:27:16 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 04, 2012, 01:59:35 PM

I noticed the same thing on US 45 when I drove it on Saturday, but I simply forgot to report it.

:meh:

As I also found, WisDOT has added US 10 MPs to the highway all the way to interchange 290 (WI 47/Appleton Rd/(Memorial Dr) on the Appleton/Menasha border.  They must have done that within the last couple of days last week, because I noticed nothing different when I drove it last Wednesday.

:wow:

As I type this, I am busy updating my Yellowstone Trail 'strip' maps to reflect these changes to US 10 and US 45, both of which ran close to, or on, one or more of the YT's various historic routings.

:thumbsup:

Mike
cool, the last time i drove that, some of the frontage roads werent paved, and because of that some of the driveways were still on US45
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

mgk920

When I was driving on US 41(I-xx) here in the Appleton-Neenah area yesterday (Wednesday, 2012-09-05), I noticed that WisDOT has removed the small green MP signs that were on the outside shoulders of the highway, leaving only the more recently installed 0.2 MP signs in the median for defining location.

Mike

JREwing78

The wife and I took a trip to northern Wisconsin, and even snuck in a day trip to Duluth.

A few thoughts:
- US 10 from the I-39/US-51 exit west to Marshfield is 99% complete - there were crews closing off the old transitions to and from old US-10 when we came through. Traffic was lighter than I expected; I was doing my standard 10-over and never had to use the passing lane.

- I found WI-13 north of Marshfield to US-8 to be surprisingly busy. WisDOT has responded in kind by widening the stretch between Abbotsford and Colby to 4-lanes (still under construction), an alternating passing lane between Marshfield and Spencer, and a recent widening and rebuild through Medford.

It could use more passing lanes throughout; I could also see it justifying an expressway section from Marshfield north to at least Medford in the next 30 years. The County A intersection at Dorchester is particularly nasty. I suspect taking US-51 to US-8 and cutting over to WI-13 would be the less stressful choice next time.

- By comparison, north of Medford WI-13 feels like a typical Northwoods highway, with lots of trees, recreational vehicles, and hilly, rocky terrain. Park Falls had its stretch through downtown under construction, and they'll have to hustle to complete the road before the snow flies. Traffic was shuffled off on a side street, then at the north end controlled one-way traffic with flagmen.

- It's a little amazing WI-169 is a state highway; without Copper Falls State Park, it'd likely be a signed County highway at best. It's narrow with lots of tight corners, and woodlands interspersed with farmland. I'd be shocked if that road carried 500 vehicles per day; 200 is more likely. And yet, WI-169 merits a railroad overpass just north of Gurney (http://goo.gl/maps/4eRZG).

- US-2 east of WI-13 in Ashland was under construction for a widening and sewer replacement. The US-2/WI-13 roundabout west of Ashland is just about finished, with crews working to complete the eastbound roundabout bypass and the westbound-to-northbound movement. People seemed to have little trouble navigating the roundabout even with the continued construction work.

- Ashland has an impressive number of state highways for its population size. WI-112, WI-118, and WI-137 could easily be County highways. Apparently, US-2 along Chequamegon Bay has to be closed often enough that WisDOT installed a barrier at the US-2/WI-137 intersection to allow traffic to be diverted.

- Ashland is a beautiful small town with some awesome murals on downtown buildings. One example: http://goo.gl/maps/GE6Y7. It also has a lakeshore view most towns would kill to have. My wife used up a SD card or two on pictures of the area.

Ashland has clearly weathered the post-mining era better than a lot of others, namely Ironwood (which looks more and more run-down with age, particularly compared to next-door neighbor Hurley).

- US-2 is a heavily traveled 2-lane with numerous passing lanes sprinkled throughout. Sadly, I encountered more than my fair share of drivers who had no clue what a passing lane is for.

Traffic counts are not that far off the 4-lane US-53 south of the US-2/53 split; it wouldn't surprise me if WisDOT upgrades this road to expressway in the next 20 years.

Truck traffic is quite heavy, as well as recreational vehicle traffic. Bayfield County sheriff's deputies were very visible on their stretch; I saw at least 4 vehicles pulled over (and nearly became one myself).

- The wife and I spent an afternoon in Duluth's Canal Park, watching the freighters pass through the Aerial Bridge and exploring the Lakewalk. We could have easily spent a weekend there; we barely scratched the surface of things to do and see. No worries - Mother Nature ensured we experienced every season save Winter while we were there. ;-)

There's still a few reminders of the horrible flooding in June, but none too obvious to a casual tourist. Certainly, don't let that be a reason to not visit.

- The EBD side of the Blatnik Bridge was closed for deck reconstruction. This forced all cross-border traffic to the Bong bridge, which made traffic on SBD I-35 gridlocked at 5pm on Friday. Here's hoping Minnesota's DOT keeps up the maintenance; commuting from Superior will be miserable otherwise.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SEWIGuy

Quote from: JREwing78 on September 09, 2012, 11:27:24 PM
It could use more passing lanes throughout; I could also see it justifying an expressway section from Marshfield north to at least Medford in the next 30 years. The County A intersection at Dorchester is particularly nasty. I suspect taking US-51 to US-8 and cutting over to WI-13 would be the less stressful choice next time.

I regularly travel to Park Falls and US-51 / US-8 / WI-13 is the fastest way to go.

For a really scenic way, I take I-94 to WI-58 at Mauston.  From there I go to WI-80 to WI-13.  There is very little traffic on WI-80 north of Necedah.  But you still get bogged down on WI-13 between Marshfield and Medford.

SSOWorld

Agreed - with 51 being 4-lane to US 8 you're better off.  The two-lane between M-field and M-ford ;) has too much traffic (even back in early 2000s when I lived in Wausau)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

triplemultiplex

I grew up in Phillips, so I know all too well that you go to 51/39 if you want to get somewhere fast.  It's even faster to use the interstate than WI 13 when going to Wisconsin Dells from there even though it's shorter.  Nice little town we got up there, eh?

I do like how WI 13 bypasses all the little burgs between Medford and Phillips.  The old road through Westboro in Taylor County is even called "Business Highway 13."

In Park Falls, a former four lane undvided segment on the city's south side is being rebuilt as a two lane divided with a continuous center left turn lane.  And the intersection at WI 182 is getting a better left turn lane SB.

WI 13 was already four lanes between Abbostford and Colby prior to the recent construction.

WI 112 & WI 118 serve as the "bypass" of Ashland for Twin Ports-bound traffic.

If you think Ashland was photogenic, you should've taken a side trip up to Washburn and Bayfield.

mgk920

As I was driving around today, I noticed that my home City of Appleton is now using Clearview on its street name 'blade' signs.

:-o

:-P

Also, it appears to me that the text on the Chamber of Commerce attraction directions signs posted throughout the Appleton/Fox Cities area is in Clearview.

Mike

mgk920

WisDOT has now installed interchange number tabs on most of the relevant BGSs on US 10 from Appleton to Marshfield.

Mike

JREwing78

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 10, 2012, 01:22:31 PM
If you think Ashland was photogenic, you should've taken a side trip up to Washburn and Bayfield.

We're saving that trip for next year - no worries. We've also been all over the UP, both along the Lake Superior shore and the Lake Michigan shore.

Revive 755

I thought I saw something around here about it before, but since I can't find it this morning:

* On a recent drive I noticed the WI 794/Lake Speedtrap intersection with the connector ramp to  Oklahoma Avenue has been changed into a Continuous Green T with southbound traffic no longer having to stop.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: mgk920 on September 22, 2012, 11:57:11 AM
WisDOT has now installed interchange number tabs on most of the relevant BGSs on US 10 from Appleton to Marshfield.

I too, saw this over the weekend.

Road crews were beginning to work on a median crossover for the project in Wausau-land to replace SB bridges of I-39 over the Wisconsin River and Bus US 51.
The Maple Ridge Road interchange is probably within 2 weeks of completion.

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 23, 2012, 01:05:48 AM
On a recent drive I noticed the WI 794/Lake Speedtrap intersection with the connector ramp to  Oklahoma Avenue has been changed into a Continuous Green T with southbound traffic no longer having to stop.

That modification was made last year.

mgk920

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20120927/APC0101/309270167

This is WI 441 at Calumet St in Appleton.

http://goo.gl/maps/PgtPC

My biggest worry here is the difficulty in synchronizing the signals of a DDI with those of the nearby cross street intersections and the proximity of those nearest intersections to this interchange.  I would likely opt for a series of roundabouts here.  Yes, it is a traffic zoo.

Mike

triplemultiplex

Well, your DOT district seemed to be an early adopter of roundabouts in this state, so I wouldn't be surprised if they sprung for a DDI.  But our state did seem to pass on the SPUI fad.  If that project was down here in MKE-land, you'd probably be looking at "U-Ramp" interchange. ;)

The Post-Crescent could have supplemented their article with a DDI diagram.  While not all that complicated in practice, it is complicated to describe in words.

SEWIGuy

Saw today that the WI-26 exit between Janesville and Milton has an exit number.  I believe it is Harmony Hill Road, and it has a #6 only on the exit signage.  (The BGS hasn't been erected.)

The other exits on the entire route don't have exit numbers so I guess this is something they will add later.  Surprised they didn't do this earlier.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.