News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaBigE

From an article that gives a bit more detail...
QuoteMADISON (AP) – Wisconsin transportation officials would be allowed to raise the speed limit to 70 mph on some roads under a bill that the state Senate approved Wednesday.

The Republican-authored bill would permit the Department of Transportation to raise the limit to 70 mph on roads where they decide the limit would be safe. The measure would prohibit DOT from going to 70 mph on four-lane roads with at-grade access, however.

The GOP-controlled Assembly passed the measure overwhelmingly in March, but Senate Republicans were wary of the bill. Sen. Jerry Petrowski, R-Marahon, and Sen. Devin LeMahieu, R-Oostburg, quelled concerns by drafting the at-grade prohibition as an amendment.

The Senate approved the amendment and the bill on voice votes Wednesday with no debate. Sen. Dave Hansen, D-Green Bay, made the only comment about the bill on the Senate floor, saying it shows both parties can work together.

"˜"˜I'm glad it happened,'' Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, told reporters after the vote. "˜"˜(There) seems to be a lot of support for the change.''

The measure now goes back to the Assembly; both houses must pass the same bill before it can go to Gov. Scott Walker for his signature. The proposal's Assembly author, Rep. Paul Tittl, R-Manitowoc, helped craft the at-grade amendment, so passage in that chamber appears all but certain.

A Walker spokeswoman didn't immediately respond to an email Wednesday inquiring about whether the governor supports the bill.

According to a fiscal estimate attached to the bill, DOT officials plan to raise the limit to 70 mph on freeway portions of the interstate system as well as portions of U.S. Highway 51, U.S. Highway 53 and U.S. Highway 141. The agency estimates it would spend about $238,000 to create and install 815 signs reflecting the change.

DOT also estimates it will spend another $126,000 to investigate raising the limit on other freeway and expressway segments.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

SSOWorld

Does the author not realize there are no "non-freeway portions" of the Interstate system?

I'd imagine he meant rural (to leave Milwaukee area at 55 and possibly other urban areas at 65 (Hopefully not))
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

TheHighwayMan3561

A section of WIS 13 collapsed near Red Cliff this morning. No one was injured as the road was already in the process of being closed at the the time; the road will probably be closed for a few days. The collapse was caused by a culvert failure.

http://www.fox21online.com/news/local-news/Part-of-Highway-13-Collapses-Near-Red-Cliff/33006342
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Big John

Tha assembly passed the speed limit bill and is awaiting the govenor's signature.

dcharlie

70 MPH signed into law!

SSOWorld

Looks like they're following the "1987 rural speed limit rule"

The speed limit seems to be remaining 65 in several stretches around cities.  Obviously Milwaukee is exempt (as a 55 zone) and the metro area will stay 65 outside of that (southern Ozaukee (south of Port Washington), Milwaukee, eastern Waukesha.  Other cities that will stay 65:
- Madison (US-151 to the Beltline Interchange on 39/90; I-94 to start as 70 at the Badger Interchange)
- Green bay (I-43 from WIS-29 northward), I-41 from WIS-172 northward - US-41 may be signed to 70 for a bit north of the city?)
- Appleton (I-41 in between the WIS-441 Jct's)
- Wausau (I-39 north of Business 51 south end - US-51 may be signed as 70 from Business 51 north end to CTH-K or close to Lincoln Dr north of Merrill?)
- Stevens Point (I-39 between WIS-54 and WIS-66)
- Eau Claire (I-94 between WIS-312 (North Crossing) and US-53 - US-53 may be signed as 70 from Chippewa Falls to Rice Lake?)
- La Crosse (I-90 from US-53 to MN line)
- Hudson (I-94 from WIS-35 (southbound?) to MN Line) <-- Suspect this is because of proximity to Twin Cities area - MN signed I-94 as 65 to there from the state line

This all makes sense to me since I feel that doing 70 in urban areas is risky due to close-proximity exits.  Though La Crosse  (mainly French Island), Point (particularly between US-10 and CTH B in Plover) don't have such, but the other cities do and have been slowed down at the appropriate locations IMO.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/news/releases/299-co-exec.htm <-- WisDOT announcement regarding it - they're going to start it next month. :bigass:

Wisconsin - no longer the Oregon of the Midwest.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 20, 2015, 05:52:43 PM

The speed limit seems to be remaining 65 in several stretches around cities.  Obviously Milwaukee is exempt (as a 55 zone) and the metro area will stay 65 outside of that (southern Ozaukee (south of Port Washington), Milwaukee, eastern Waukesha.  Other cities that will stay 65:

- Hudson (I-94 from WIS-35 (southbound?) to MN Line) <-- Suspect this is because of proximity to Twin Cities area - MN signed I-94 as 65 to there from the state line

Personally I had always thought that the section of 94 between 494/694 and the WI border was posted 65 simply because it was tying into a 65 in Wisconsin. Given the mostly widely spaced-out nature of the interchanges and the largely rural feel of the section I figured there was nothing holding it back from a 70 other than cosmetic purposes.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadguy

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 21, 2015, 04:32:09 AM
Personally I had always thought that the section of 94 between 494/694 and the WI border was posted 65 simply because it was tying into a 65 in Wisconsin. Given the mostly widely spaced-out nature of the interchanges and the largely rural feel of the section I figured there was nothing holding it back from a 70 other than cosmetic purposes.

Seeing that this section (Between 694/494 and the WI border) was done in 1985 (http://www.dot.state.mn.us/roadway/data/docs/projlog/county82/8282.pdf), it is designed for a 70 mph speed limit.  There are no substandard vertical or horizontal curves (hardly any horizontal curves at all and much of the vertical is rolling for drainage/bridge clearances).  I asked a guy from Mn/DOT why it was signed 65 and he said it was such a short stretch between 694/494 and WI's 65mph section, it was decided to leave it at 65mph instead of move it 70mph.

I can understand why WisDOT would not sign the section in Hudson 70mph, especially with the steep grade on the WI side into/out of the St. Croix River Valley. 

Roadguy

- Madison (US-151 to the Beltline Interchange on 39/90; I-94 to start as 70 at the Badger Interchange)
- Green bay (I-43 from WIS-29 northward), I-41 from WIS-172 northward - US-41 may be signed to 70 for a bit north of the city?)
- Wausau (I-39 north of Business 51 south end - US-51 may be signed as 70 from Business 51 north end to CTH-K or close to Lincoln Dr north of Merrill?)
- Eau Claire (I-94 between WIS-312 (North Crossing) and US-53 - US-53 may be signed as 70 from Chippewa Falls to Rice Lake?)

This all makes sense to me since I feel that doing 70 in urban areas is risky due to close-proximity exits.  Though La Crosse  (mainly French Island), Point (particularly between US-10 and CTH B in Plover) don't have such, but the other cities do and have been slowed down at the appropriate locations IMO.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/news/releases/299-co-exec.htm <-- WisDOT announcement regarding it - they're going to start it next month. :bigass:

Notice the one "urban area" missing from the list is I-41 in Oshkosh.  I know this was recently redone with the US 41 expansion but if the "urban area" rule where to apply, this is definitely a section (WI 44 to US 45) that would meet this criteria.

In my opinion the sections in Eau Claire, La Crosse (Although currently this is under construction at a temporary 55mph limit so they wouldn't change the speed limit right now anyways), Appleton, and Point are just going to become giant speed traps.  Very few drivers are going to slow down to meet the 65 mph speed limit (even 70mph going 5 over).  They would most likely operate fine with a 70 mph limit.

Brandon

Racine and Kenosha are missing from this list.  I hope they never get added, and we can then give the county sheriffs there the finger and go 70 mph along that stretch.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

Quote from: Brandon on May 21, 2015, 09:54:13 AM

Racine and Kenosha are missing from this list.  I hope they never get added, and we can then give the county sheriffs there the finger and go 70 mph along that stretch.

Sorry - I didn't know how this machine works.

about the speed trap thingy?  Yeah you could say that - it is Wisconsin you know - you have to make a profit somehow.

IL has a similar setup with Effingham and Mt Vernon.

Even Montana with Missoula.

California doesn't any 70 MPH on I-80.

Every state compensates its police somehow... :pan:
Scott O.

Raise your what?

mgk920

Quote from: Roadguy on May 21, 2015, 07:29:49 AM

Notice the one "urban area" missing from the list is I-41 in Oshkosh.  I know this was recently redone with the US 41 expansion but if the "urban area" rule where to apply, this is definitely a section (WI 44 to US 45) that would meet this criteria.

In my opinion the sections in Eau Claire, La Crosse (Although currently this is under construction at a temporary 55mph limit so they wouldn't change the speed limit right now anyways), Appleton, and Point are just going to become giant speed traps.  Very few drivers are going to slow down to meet the 65 mph speed limit (even 70mph going 5 over).  They would most likely operate fine with a 70 mph limit.

I-41 in Oshkosh, the Lake Butte des Morts causeway part especially, drives like a German autobahn now.

:nod:

Mike

midwesternroadguy

I really didn't think raising the speed limit to 70 mph was necessary, however, I also think that the 65 mph zones in the urban areas seemed a little capricious....i.e. Why wasn't Janesville included?  There's interchange spacing issues of more concern there than there are in Point.  I-90 in LaCrosse is borderline, but I-94 is so far outside much of the Eau Claire urbanized area with ample interchange spacing, that only 65 mph seems to be slow there too.  The north-south portion of I-41 on the west side of Appleton and Neenah/Menasha has a lot of traffic and no increase there seems warranted.

triplemultiplex

Yay, now you can catch up to slow moving trucks 8 seconds sooner.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

Personally, my reaction to the speed limit increase is "meh!"

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on May 22, 2015, 11:30:15 AM
I really didn't think raising the speed limit to 70 mph was necessary, however, I also think that the 65 mph zones in the urban areas seemed a little capricious....i.e. Why wasn't Janesville included?  There's interchange spacing issues of more concern there than there are in Point.  I-90 in LaCrosse is borderline, but I-94 is so far outside much of the Eau Claire urbanized area with ample interchange spacing, that only 65 mph seems to be slow there too.  The north-south portion of I-41 on the west side of Appleton and Neenah/Menasha has a lot of traffic and no increase there seems warranted.
70 is needed to match IL-toll way (that needs to go full 70)

dave069

Congratulations Wisconsin! No longer a sore thumb. This is way overdue but hey better late than never. I look forward to legally going 70 in that state.

mrose

Looks like it is only going to apply to interstates. So, it appears it will not be applied to any freeway sections of 51, 53, 151 or WI-29.

SSOWorld

Quote from: mrose on May 23, 2015, 01:44:56 AM
Looks like it is only going to apply to interstates. So, it appears it will not be applied to any freeway sections of 51, 53, 151 or WI-29.

nothing committed.  They're running studies though but don't expect any on 151 or 29
Scott O.

Raise your what?

mgk920

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 23, 2015, 06:31:58 AM
Quote from: mrose on May 23, 2015, 01:44:56 AM

nothing committed.  They're running studies though but don't expect any on 151 or 29

Even though US 151 between Sun Prairie and Waupun was flying along at autobahn speeds going to and from the Madison meet a few weeks ago.

:rolleyes:

Mike

tchafe1978

The freeway section of US 53 from Eau Claire to Rice like will most likely be 70, as well as the freeway section of US 51 north of Wausau. But the freeway sections of US 151 and WIS 29 are just short sections and would likely cause problems if just those sections are raised to 70 and the rest of the highway remains at 65.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on May 22, 2015, 10:23:17 PM

Look I don't mind the increase at all, but the whole "we have to match what other states do" is the lamest reasoning behind the increase.

It really isn't hard to reduce your speed at one border...and increase it at the next. 

I wish people would just say "I want to drive faster."

texaskdog

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 02, 2015, 05:37:39 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on May 02, 2015, 03:52:30 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 01, 2015, 07:01:27 PM
As a lifelong Wisconsinite, I think the freeways and expressways are just fine with a speed limit of 65.

Glad I don't live there.  The freeway just outside of downtown Austin is now 70.

Yeah because I judge what is a great place to live by how fast I can drive on the freeways.   :rolleyes:

Nothing like horribly slow roads

hobsini2

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 23, 2015, 11:09:37 AM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on May 22, 2015, 10:23:17 PM

Look I don't mind the increase at all, but the whole "we have to match what other states do" is the lamest reasoning behind the increase.

It really isn't hard to reduce your speed at one border...and increase it at the next. 

I wish people would just say "I want to drive faster."

Agreed SW.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

dave069

US 53 should definitely be a 70 between Eau Claire and Rice Lake. People drive that fast and the road is built for it. I'd be annoyed if its still a 65 next time i drive it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.