News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2020 Summer Olympics

Started by kphoger, July 09, 2021, 04:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Quote from: kphoger on July 27, 2021, 11:42:01 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 26, 2021, 02:04:16 PM
The USA lost to France!

In what event?

Pretend for a second that I don't already know what you're talking about.  Because I don't.

In the game I watched yesterday (as a replay), France lost to the USA.

The event was boîte du chat, a traditional French game where you open a box with a cat inside.

Hence both results.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

kphoger

Quote from: LM117 on July 27, 2021, 06:41:01 PM

Quote from: Big John on July 25, 2021, 01:26:42 PM

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 25, 2021, 12:38:13 PM
Could Puerto Rico theoretically keep it's team after becoming a state?

No, since it would a "whole" part of the country.

Native Hawaiians are wanting that rule changed...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/team-hawaiian-kingdom-activists-want-us-olympians-surf-different-homel-rcna1503

Quote from: Team Hawaiian Kingdom? Activists want some U.S. Olympians to surf for a different homeland
Federico Lenzerini, an international law expert who submitted the petition to the IOC as an attorney representing the Hawaiian Kingdom National Olympic Committee, said the transfer of sovereignty between two independent authorities is "typically realized by treaty."  Otherwise, it has to be done "by prescription,"  or without protest from the people of the occupied territory. The Hawaiian Kingdom has never agreed to the occupation by the U.S.

"Consequently, our argument is that Hawaii's sovereignty has never been surrendered in a way that is valid under international law,"  he said.

I'm curious to know what other places that could apply to.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

Funny that Hawaii hasn't complained about being a part of the US over the past 100 years where American tourism has been the backbone of their economy, but now that there's a chance for Olympic recognition, suddenly the annexation was against their will.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

LM117

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 28, 2021, 09:37:21 AM
Funny that Hawaii hasn't complained about being a part of the US over the past 100 years where American tourism has been the backbone of their economy, but now that there's a chance for Olympic recognition, suddenly the annexation was against their will.

Not to mention that if Hawaii was still independent right now, Russia and/or China would be knocking at their door. I'm not saying the US didn't pull any shady shit during the annexation, but if I were a native, I'd be pretty damn relieved to be part of the US right now.

If we followed their logic, there would be 50 different US Olympic teams. :pan:

LM117

kphoger

Quote from: LM117 on July 28, 2021, 11:03:32 AM
Simone Biles pulled out of the individual all-around final.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/olympics/simone-biles-miss-individual-all-around-final-tokyo-olympics-n1275243

A tough choice, I'm sure.  I have to wonder if, years from now, she'll regret the decision or be at peace with it.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

LM117

Quote from: kphoger on July 28, 2021, 11:07:23 AM
Quote from: LM117 on July 28, 2021, 11:03:32 AM
Simone Biles pulled out of the individual all-around final.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/olympics/simone-biles-miss-individual-all-around-final-tokyo-olympics-n1275243

A tough choice, I'm sure.  I have to wonder if, years from now, she'll regret the decision or be at peace with it.

Her performance at the vault was the straw that broke the camel's back. She got lost in the air.

Henry

To say the least, this has been a forgettable Olympics so far. A lot of us are probably looking forward to 2024 already...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kphoger

Quote from: Henry on July 28, 2021, 11:43:02 AM
To say the least, this has been a forgettable Olympics so far. A lot of us are probably looking forward to 2024 already...

I'm not interested in the Olympics for the wow factor anyway.  Frankly, I think the Usain Bolt hype distracted from the games, for example.  So far, my family has enjoyed watching water polo, swimming, diving, volleyball, a bit of soccer and softball.  We're liking the games just fine.

As for swimming specifically, we've found the races for 2nd and 3rd place to be quite engaging in the races we've watched–even if there's a clear first place winner.  We've seen a lot of back-and-forth in the 2nd-through-4th places that have made it quite engaging to watch.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

USA men's basketball kills Iran 120-66. Iran sucks so not a big accomplishment.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 28, 2021, 01:26:32 PM

Kind of like Cameroon not winning the World Cup, you mean?
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on July 28, 2021, 01:59:39 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 28, 2021, 01:26:32 PM

Kind of like Cameroon not winning the World Cup, you mean?
Iran only has 1 former nba player.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

Quote from: kphoger on July 28, 2021, 09:27:03 AM

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/team-hawaiian-kingdom-activists-want-us-olympians-surf-different-homel-rcna1503

Quote from: Team Hawaiian Kingdom? Activists want some U.S. Olympians to surf for a different homeland
Federico Lenzerini, an international law expert who submitted the petition to the IOC as an attorney representing the Hawaiian Kingdom National Olympic Committee, said the transfer of sovereignty between two independent authorities is "typically realized by treaty."  Otherwise, it has to be done "by prescription,"  or without protest from the people of the occupied territory. The Hawaiian Kingdom has never agreed to the occupation by the U.S.

"Consequently, our argument is that Hawaii's sovereignty has never been surrendered in a way that is valid under international law,"  he said.

We have two Chinas competing. I bet a large amount of Russian Olympic Committee would want to be independent, and then you'd have places like Catalonia... too many major world powers have too many territories that have been unfavorably annexed to ever allow this to proceed.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on July 28, 2021, 06:41:39 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 28, 2021, 09:27:03 AM

We have two Chinas competing. I bet a large amount of Russian Olympic Committee would want to be independent, and then you'd have places like Catalonia... too many major world powers have too many territories that have been unfavorably annexed to ever allow this to proceed.
Both Chinas are separate sovereign nations.

hotdogPi

Not only are there two Chinas, but there's also a ROC, which is a form of China in every context except the Olympics.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on July 28, 2021, 08:02:53 PM
Not only are there two Chinas, but there's also a ROC, which is a form of China in every context except the Olympics.
Actually 4 Chinas then (Hong Kong and Macau).

kenarmy

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 28, 2021, 09:37:21 AM
Lol.. they did complain but nobody listens.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 28, 2021, 08:01:43 PMBoth Chinas are separate sovereign nations.
Depends which one you ask...

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: 1 on July 28, 2021, 08:02:53 PM

Known by me as "Chinese Taipei" :bigass:. Yes, even outside the Olympics. Because it's not just Taiwan, even thought it makes up almost all the total area of the RoC. Jinmen/Kinmen and Mazu/Matsu aren't really part of Taiwan province, thus putting them in a paradox as they aren't part of neither "China" (i.e. the PRC) nor Taiwan.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NWI_Irish96

Here's a good description of how and why there are non-UN members at the Olympics:

https://www.polgeonow.com/2012/07/olympics-parade-of-nations.html

Ten overseas territories of countries, including three of the US, are grandfathered in after a 1995 rule that prohibited territories from competing separately.

Three nations: Taiwan, Palestine and Kosovo, are not UN members for various reasons but are de facto independent nations.

Due to a doping ban, Russia's country name, flag and anthem are banned and athletes are competing under the banner of the Russian Olympic Committee.

There is a refugee team, competing under the Olympic flag, of athletes who have no country for which to compete.

One country--Vatican City, has never competed in any Olympics.

US 89

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 29, 2021, 08:20:18 AM

That's just disappointing. Surely at least one of those old cardinals is good at something athletic... :-P

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: US 89 on July 29, 2021, 09:42:28 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on July 29, 2021, 08:20:18 AM

That's just disappointing. Surely at least one of those old cardinals is good at something athletic... :-P

There's Olympic golf now, so get a couple of the youngest ones out on the course!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.