News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2020 Summer Olympics

Started by kphoger, July 09, 2021, 04:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 23, 2021, 09:03:14 AM
I'm now searching the great nation of Russian Olympic Committee in a map :sombrero:. They have a nice anthem too, at least it's not the same as the Olympic Hymn.

Speaking of maps, Russia is currently throwing a temper tantrum. Apparently, the initial map showed Crimea as part of Russia. Ukraine rightfully got pissed and the IOC changed the map back. Get fucked, Vlad.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2021-07-23/russia-fires-back-at-olympics-for-correcting-ukraine-map-to-include-crimea
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Scott5114

Quote from: LM117 on July 24, 2021, 10:27:24 AM
I'm now searching the great nation of Russian Olympic Committee in a map :sombrero:. They have a nice anthem too, at least it's not the same as the Olympic Hymn.

Speaking of maps, Russia is currently throwing a temper tantrum. Apparently, the initial map showed Crimea as part of Russia. Ukraine rightfully got pissed and the IOC changed the map back. Get fucked, Vlad.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2021-07-23/russia-fires-back-at-olympics-for-correcting-ukraine-map-to-include-crimea

You mean get fucked, Vova. "Vlad" is short for Vladislav.

Anyway, Russia isn't allowed in the Olympics, so who gives a damn about their opinion? They're lucky they didn't just draw the whole damn country as part of Finland.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Who cares about maps. Both countries have a claim, just draw it as disputed.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tdindy88

Speaking of maps, which I love very much! China is complaining that NBC didn't show Taiwan as a part of China despite "Chinese Taipei" competing as its own group.

Speaking of the territories, why exactly are Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa and the Virgin Islands separate in the Olympics? I know the Olympics just has this weird stuff (such as Great Britain being a team but not the United Kingdom,) but shouldn't the territories be part of the U.S. team. I mean, if you are a U.S. citizen (maybe not with America Samoa) shouldn't you be with the U.S. Olympic Team? I mean, what happens if Puerto Rico ever becomes a state?

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

LM117

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 25, 2021, 12:50:49 AM

You mean get fucked, Vova. "Vlad" is short for Vladislav.

Anyway, Russia isn't allowed in the Olympics, so who gives a damn about their opinion? They're lucky they didn't just draw the whole damn country as part of Finland.

I agree with this, but only if they put a trigger warning first.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 25, 2021, 01:01:42 AMWho cares about maps. Both countries have a claim, just draw it as disputed.

Not like both claims are equal. Russia likes to brag about the so-called referendum vote that supposedly shows Crimea wanting to join Russia. It's easy to get someone to vote in your favor when you send in little green men and hold them at gunpoint.

Quote from: tdindy88 on July 25, 2021, 01:36:56 AMI mean, what happens if Puerto Rico ever becomes a state?

They would lose their team.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Roadgeekteen

Could Puerto Rico theoretically keep it's team after becoming a state?

kenarmy

The IOC considers "insular" areas sufficiently independent to participate in the games, and they have the right to determine who is a country and who isn't. But there are others, such as Aruba, Bermuda, and the Cayman Islands who have teams so it's not that surprising.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: kenarmy on July 25, 2021, 12:54:47 PM
The IOC considers "insular" areas sufficiently independent to participate in the games, and they have the right to determine who is a country and who isn't. But there are others, such as Aruba, Bermuda, and the Cayman Islands who have teams so it's not that surprising.

This is also the case with Hong Kong and Macau, which have had Olympic-level teams since they were British and Portuguese possessions respectively (although Macau has yet to compete in the Olympics).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Big John

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 25, 2021, 12:38:13 PM
Could Puerto Rico theoretically keep it's team after becoming a state?
No, since it would a "whole" part of the country.

kphoger

Oh, man, what an exciting thing to see Ahmed Hafnaoui win the gold medal at 400m freestyle swimming!

Most people probably had their eyes on the American swimmers, or whoever else the commentators were talking about ahead of time.  But, because I'm weird, I was watching the Tunisian the whole time.  I didn't know he had barely made it into the finals, finishing 8th in the trials.  All I knew is that he was from Tunisia, and I thought that was kind of cool, so I was watching him.  He was out in front with the leaders pretty much the entire time.  Yet the commentators weren't talking about him at all.  I wondered why, wondered if he was destined to fall behind.  Eventually, they too began to notice he was one of the leaders.  And, sure enough, he kept it up and landed what was only the fifth gold medal ever for his country.

So exciting!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: kphoger on July 25, 2021, 05:52:17 PM
Oh, man, what an exciting thing to see Ahmed Hafnaoui win the gold medal at 400m freestyle swimming!

Most people probably had their eyes on the American swimmers, or whoever else the commentators were talking about ahead of time.  But, because I'm weird, I was watching the Tunisian the whole time.  I didn't know he had barely made it into the finals, finishing 8th in the trials.  All I knew is that he was from Tunisia, and I thought that was kind of cool, so I was watching him.  He was out in front with the leaders pretty much the entire time.  Yet the commentators weren't talking about him at all.  I wondered why, wondered if he was destined to fall behind.  Eventually, they too began to notice he was one of the leaders.  And, sure enough, he kept it up and landed what was only the fifth gold medal ever for his country.

So exciting!

That was incredible. I was really happy for the kid.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

WillWeaverRVA

Hidilyn Diaz won gold in women's 55kg weightlifting - it's the Philippines' first ever Olympic gold medal.
Will Weaver

hbelkins

The USA lost to France!

(channeling my inner Jeremy Lance on that one)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

wanderer2575

Quote from: hbelkins on July 26, 2021, 02:04:16 PM
The USA lost to France!

"All-star teams fail because they rely solely on the individual's talent.  The (other teams) win because they take that talent and use it inside a system that's designed for the betterment of the team."

(Kurt Russell channeling Herb Brooks in Miracle)

Roadgeekteen

The USA lost to France!

USA playing below their talent level, turns out that you need to team to win not just good individual players.

english si

Quote from: Bruce on July 09, 2021, 04:38:26 PMNBC has the games, but will likely butcher it as they've done in years past. Best to use a VPN and tune into a proper station like the CBC or BBC.
BBC coverage has been a lot poorer this year due to Discovery winning pan-European rights in 2016 (I went on a big rant about it, but saw they have this evening released this press release explaining their poorer coverage and rewrote this post) and channels like the BBC only managing to get rights for two live streams off Discovery, rather than the up-to-16-sports-at-any-one-time coverage they had at Rio and London.

And the limited, pick-and-mix live streams this time, naturally, take on a very Team GB-focused view as they don't have the footage to take their normal broader look at the wider games while also providing coverage of Team GB.

It's not like the BBC doesn't have the budget for giving a lot of money to Discovery to cover the Olympics properly - it's more that Discovery grudgingly let them have the rights that free-to-air TV is required by UK law to have, and no more. The BBC spent quite a bit of money (not in terms of rights, obviously, but in production) showing live televisual coverage of an under-16s friendly between Man U and Coleraine tonight - I doubt any one would care if they didn't have it, and it's not like there's not been an awful lot of sport on BBC TV this weekend - Formula E, live Cricket (for the first time in decades on the BBC), the Olympics (what they can show)...

thspfc

The USA lost to France!

Maybe if all of our best players decided to care then we'd win. I thought the loss to Nigeria in the warm-up game would wake them up, but no such luck. In a sport where the best team almost always comes out on top at the end of the season/tournament, it would be a huge failure for the United States to not win gold. The country with by far the best basketball history, by far the best league, and by far the most basketball players should be winning gold every time.

thspfc

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 26, 2021, 03:54:20 PM
The USA lost to France!

"All-star teams fail because they rely solely on the individual's talent.  The (other teams) win because they take that talent and use it inside a system that's designed for the betterment of the team."

The premise of this statement is logical, but to say that all-star teams fail often is not true, especially in basketball. And "team chemistry" is pretty much a myth. "Good team chemistry" is also known as winning, and "bad team chemistry" is also known as losing. The one notable exception is the Pittsburgh Steelers over the last decade, who have won a lot of games but have always seemed to have poor chemistry. Results influence chemistry, not the other way around.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 26, 2021, 03:54:20 PM
The USA lost to France!

With the NBA season ending a month later than usual and being compressed into a shorter period of time, this was inevitable. Anybody whose team made it beyond the first round in the playoffs was going to be very unlikely to play. Even those who didn't still had fatigue issues.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

This whole "team" concept has something to it. I have long believed that the United States' representative basketball team in the Olympics should be that year's NCAA Division 1 championship team, with the same roster as the team that won the title. In fact, I think this may have been the way it was done back in the 1940s. Wasn't one of the gold medal teams basically the Kentucky Wildcats with a few players from the Bartlesville, Okla. Phillips 66ers?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on July 26, 2021, 09:35:11 PM
This whole "team" concept has something to it. I have long believed that the United States' representative basketball team in the Olympics should be that year's NCAA Division 1 championship team, with the same roster as the team that won the title. In fact, I think this may have been the way it was done back in the 1940s. Wasn't one of the gold medal teams basically the Kentucky Wildcats with a few players from the Bartlesville, Okla. Phillips 66ers?

You get the right players on the squad and they'll play like a team. College teams would be overmatched.

I do think that USA Basketball needs to look more at guys who specialize at defense, rebounding and 3 point shooting and not just taking the biggest stars.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

english si

Quote from: hbelkins on July 26, 2021, 09:35:11 PMThis whole "team" concept has something to it.
With the English football team doing well for the second tournament in a row, this "team rather than collection of stars" question was raised with members of the so-called 'Golden Generation' (who underperformed vs the hype) a couple of times during Euro 2020. The former players, now pundits, from that era denied that there were issues where club rivalries meant issues in the national team dressing room.

I think there were issues with selection and so on rather than egos clashing and team not being a team - which is probably true with the US mens basketball. Can coaches dare not select big names, even if it means an unbalanced team?

I remember England managers getting a lot of stick for playing Heskey rather than a bigger name forward with more goals, as England weren't scoring enough. But the purpose of playing Heskey was the club partnership with Heskey setting up Owen - Owen played nowhere near as good without Heskey, and Owen was a big name that couldn't be dropped without massive backlash as he scored loads of goals for his club. Play two of the forwards mentioned as replacements for Heskey instead of Heskey and Owen, and maybe England would have scored more. But you'd get a lot of stick.

kphoger

The USA lost to France!

In what event?

Pretend for a second that I don't already know what you're talking about.  Because I don't.

In the game I watched yesterday (as a replay), France lost to the USA.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.