News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cuomo Signs

Started by machias, October 21, 2016, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

machias

A smaller version of a Cuomo sign. This sign stands alone and is found on your way into Robert Moses State Park near Massena.  I was surprised as to it's location and the size, it's smaller than any of its counterparts that I've seen elsewhere in the state.

cl94

Cuomo signs were installed on the SB Northway approaching Exit 13. There are NONE north of that point and south of Exit 29. Didn't go north of there, but it appears that NYSDOT is honoring the tradition of only posting necessary signs in the Adirondacks.

Most of the busier state parks have small Cuomo signs at the entrances. Saratoga and Thatcher have them out here.

Yeah, they did find something bad. The piers were on the verge of failure, hence why they had to knock the thing down and rebuild.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Sam

Quote from: upstatenyroads on October 21, 2016, 12:51:57 PM

A smaller version of a Cuomo sign. This sign stands alone and is found on your way into Robert Moses State Park near Massena.  I was surprised as to it's location and the size, it's smaller than any of its counterparts that I've seen elsewhere in the state.
A similar sign graces the parking area at Watkins Glen State Park.

vdeane

More Cuomo Signs changes:
-The ones EB and WB on the Thruway between exits 44 and 45 have been moved a bit and are now full sets
-I-490 WB has a set after exit 26
-I-490 EB has a set after exit 4
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

I posted a list of the Thruway Cuomo signs I know of on the Thruway page, but I noticed a few more NYSDOT ones when in Buffalo this weekend:

-NY 33 WB near NY 277
-Niagara Scenic Parkway west of I-190. Another small sign similar to those found at the entrances to many state parks is located before the roundabout, so there are two sets between I-190 and the roundabout with no intermediate exit
-I-190 SB south of Upper Mountain Road

NY 33 and I-190 are the old style with no parks sign. All of these went up since the end of June.

Based on the sign plans, Cuomo wants these things at every entrance to the state, so they'll end up in places like NY 149 which barely have a welcome sign right now.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Roadgeek Adam

So clearly we should start checking random CR junctions, because Cuomo is that persistent.

A good example would be start checking the Southern Tier crossings for it, because there are a ton that don't need them.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

dgolub

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on October 31, 2016, 12:38:27 AM
So clearly we should start checking random CR junctions, because Cuomo is that persistent.

A good example would be start checking the Southern Tier crossings for it, because there are a ton that don't need them.

Seriously?  Most CR border crossing I've seen don't even have signs to tell you that you're in a different state.  If you're lucky, they'll post the county name.

kalvado

Someone needs to check out Albany airport road. Looks like a prime spot. Or advertising state to out-of-state travelers makes too much sense to implement?

cl94

There's a reason why I mentioned NY 149. It's in a developed area, so there's only a little sign similar to a town line sign at the border. It's due to get the full treatment. Wonder how the residents of Granville village will respond to that.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: dgolub on October 31, 2016, 08:44:48 AM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on October 31, 2016, 12:38:27 AM

Seriously?  Most CR border crossing I've seen don't even have signs to tell you that you're in a different state.  If you're lucky, they'll post the county name.

The first sentence was being sarcastic. I wouldn't put anything past Cuomo.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

SignBridge

They have to be kidding! What is this state government smoking? Huge numbers of these signs have suddenly appeared on the Long Island State Parkways in Region 10. And they are located so close together as to be dangerously distracting in my opinion. They must be wasting big bucks to put these up on parkways that badly need repaving which is not getting done! And I'll betcha half of them get knocked down this winter in snowstorms. We'll see if they get replaced faster than the exit signs when that happens.

noelbotevera

Christ, and I though Pennsylvania was bad with its signs...

(seriously, each and every town border signs has something about Boy Scout troops...)

cl94

Quote from: SignBridge on October 31, 2016, 08:31:55 PM
They have to be kidding! What is this state government smoking? Huge numbers of these signs have suddenly appeared on the Long Island State Parkways in Region 10. And they are located so close together as to be dangerously distracting in my opinion. They must be wasting big bucks to put these up on parkways that badly need repaving which is not getting done! And I'll betcha half of them get knocked down this winter in snowstorms. We'll see if they get replaced faster than the exit signs when that happens.

See now why those of us Upstate have been complaining? There's a bunch of stuff they should be spending the money on, but the money goes to the pet projects.

empirestate

Now y'all know how I feel when people get militant about how NY should transition to mileage-based exit numbers. :-D

Buffaboy

Don't know if its been mentioned, but I saw the classic set of CuomoSigns™ right before Exit 56 EB on the Thruway.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

machias

Quote from: Buffaboy on November 02, 2016, 12:42:58 AM
Don't know if its been mentioned, but I saw the classic set of CuomoSigns™ right before Exit 56 EB on the Thruway.

Has anyone ever seen an amount of money tied to the installation of these new CuomoSigns™ and associated TasteNY Markets? I know there was a ridiculous tourism budget but I'm curious as to how much of that money went specifically into the highway elements of the campaign. It would be interesting to see how many critical projects could have been addressed with the associated money.

Ian

I guess it's too late now to ask what the hell "Cuomo signs" are without looking like a total idiot, so I'm going to pretend I know what they are and say, "oh interesting!"
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

kalvado

Quote from: Ian on November 02, 2016, 11:29:55 AM

I guess it's too late now to ask what the hell "Cuomo signs" are without looking like a total idiot, so I'm going to pretend I know what they are and say, "oh interesting!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTxhZRCGSsE - and if you notice some out-of-place signs, you may get an idea of what we're talking about.

storm2k

No need to feel silly asking. Basically, they are these. The state is spending god knwos how much money to plaster signs like this and this on more or less any road that might cross a border or have out-of-state drivers on it.

Fun fact, these stupid things are even in the NYC Subway system. I've seen one at the 8th St-NYU BMT stop in NoHo. I'm actually surprised these haven't made it into either Penn Station or Grand Central yet.

D-Dey65

Quote from: storm2k on November 02, 2016, 12:06:46 PM

No need to feel silly asking. Basically, they are these. The state is spending god knwos how much money to plaster signs like this and this on more or less any road that might cross a border or have out-of-state drivers on it.

Fun fact, these stupid things are even in the NYC Subway system. I've seen one at the 8th St-NYU BMT stop in NoHo. I'm actually surprised these haven't made it into either Penn Station or Grand Central yet.
The only places any of these signs belong is at the border and the ferry ports. I can see Port Jeff getting them, but no way in hell does it make sense to add them to Sag Harbor, Montauk Highway, or every few miles on the parkways.

Having said that, it makes much more sense to spend the money on projects that actually improve the road. It's the same thing as blowing money on wildflower projects.

cl94

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 02, 2016, 03:40:38 PM

The only places any of these signs belong is at the border and the ferry ports. I can see Port Jeff getting them, but no way in hell does it make sense to add them to Sag Harbor, Montauk Highway, or every few miles on the parkways.

Having said that, it makes much more sense to spend the money on projects that actually improve the road. It's the same thing as blowing money on wildflower projects.

I saw an article in the Times Union yesterday saying that the NYSTA executive director recently retired over a dispute with Cuomo over the signs.

cl94

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on November 02, 2016, 05:05:15 PM
The Feds are definitely on our side with this one...

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/politics/blogs/vote-up/2016/11/02/ny-highway-signs-illegal/93173466/
I wonder if they would do anything about it... Seems like entire story lasts for 3 years, so.. two more years until next elections?   

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on November 02, 2016, 04:06:39 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 02, 2016, 03:40:38 PM

I saw an article in the Times Union yesterday saying that the NYSTA executive director recently retired over a dispute with Cuomo over the signs.
http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Top-Thruway-official-Maria-Lehman-retires-10426263.php

Quote from: empirestate on November 02, 2016, 03:44:52 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on November 02, 2016, 03:27:17 PM
We know of those. I'm referring to Phase II, which does everything north of future exit 20 (in Westchester)

Hmm, perhaps they're waiting for the Pudding St. project before getting to that section?

iPhone
Possibly, but since they're mile-based numbers, I'm not really sure why they would need to.

Technically, the signs are more like this:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SignBridge

Well this CuomoSign issue just gets better and better! I wonder how long it will take the FHWA to threaten withdrawal of Federal Highway Aid $$ to New York State over these signs. That should get Cuomo's attention. Then they can waste another million-and-a-half dollars to take them all down.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.