News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

5 dead in PA turnpike crash, leaves road closed between MM 161 & 75

Started by Hoss6884, January 05, 2020, 09:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoss6884

Significant and tragic wreck on the PA Turnpike this morning near MM 86:
https://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/fatal-crash-on-pa-turnpike-in-mt-pleasant-closes-highway-in-both-directions/

Also another fatal accident this morning not far from there on I-70 near Smithton:
https://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/multi-vehicle-crash-closes-interstate-70-eastbound-near-smithton/

ozarkman417

PAHighways

JMoses24

Quote from: Hoss6884 on January 05, 2020, 09:24:59 AM
https://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/fatal-crash-on-pa-turnpike-in-mt-pleasant-closes-highway-in-both-directions/

Also another fatal accident this morning not far from there on I-70 near Smithton:
https://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/multi-vehicle-crash-closes-interstate-70-eastbound-near-smithton/

As of 3:15pm, the westbound turnpike is still totally shut down from New Stanton to Breezewood (the entire 70/76 multiplex) and they're not letting anyone come west. Eastbound traffic is being allowed to enter from the on-ramps at Donegal (exit 91), Somerset (exit 110) or Bedford (exit 146), but can not access Donegal from New Stanton as the crash is at mile 86.

In other words, if you're trying to reach Bedford from Pittsburgh you've got to take 79 to either 80 then 99 or to 68 and then 220. Coming from the east you might as well just go free 70 to 68 to 220 (or you could go US 30 all the way).

PAHighways

The Turnpike is open from Exit 91 eastward, so one could exit at New Stanton, go south on 119 to 31, and take that to get back on at Donegal.

The reason for the long detours is because when Milepost 75 to 86 was being rebuilt, there seemed to be accidents every week in the cattle chutes.  The PTC originally used PA 31 as the detour, but the Borough of Mount Pleasant was none to pleased with the ensuing gridlock.

SM-G965U

Alps

Quote from: JMoses24 on January 05, 2020, 03:24:20 PM

As of 3:15pm, the westbound turnpike is still totally shut down from New Stanton to Breezewood (the entire 70/76 multiplex) and they're not letting anyone come west. Eastbound traffic is being allowed to enter from the on-ramps at Donegal (exit 91), Somerset (exit 110) or Bedford (exit 146), but can not access Donegal from New Stanton as the crash is at mile 86.

In other words, if you're trying to reach Bedford from Pittsburgh you've got to take 79 to either 80 then 99 or to 68 and then 220. Coming from the east you might as well just go free 70 to 68 to 220 (or you could go US 30 all the way).
I would think 22 is a viable option here.

MASTERNC

What doesn't make sense is closing the WB Turnpike at Breezewood when the WB detour takes you to I-99 and US 22.  Right now, per 511, traffic is backed all the way from the Turnpike to US 30 on the connector road.  Everyone is then forced west on US 30 through Everett to Bedford and I-99.  In contrast, the Bedford exit requires two turns to get onto I-99.

hbelkins

I've never understood the full-scale closures of the Turnpike when an incident happens between two exits. I saw a news report saying it was closed between New Stanton and Breezewood. That's the entire I-70 concurrency. Something similar happened when there was a bridge demolition. The work happened west of Bedford, yet it was closed between Bedford and Breezewood as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PAHighways

The reason for the long detours is because when Milepost 75 to 86 was being rebuilt, there seemed to be accidents every week in the cattle chutes.  The PTC originally used PA 31 as the detour, but the Borough of Mount Pleasant was none to pleased with the ensuing gridlock.  They are just trying to avoid ruffling feathers with local authorities.

SM-G965U

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on January 05, 2020, 06:54:47 PM
I've never understood the full-scale closures of the Turnpike when an incident happens between two exits. I saw a news report saying it was closed between New Stanton and Breezewood. That's the entire I-70 concurrency. Something similar happened when there was a bridge demolition. The work happened west of Bedford, yet it was closed between Bedford and Breezewood as well.
That one bugs me as well. Isn't this the purpose of the colored detours?

JMoses24

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 05, 2020, 03:50:15 PM
What doesn't make sense is closing the WB Turnpike at Breezewood when the WB detour takes you to I-99 and US 22.  Right now, per 511, traffic is backed all the way from the Turnpike to US 30 on the connector road.  Everyone is then forced west on US 30 through Everett to Bedford and I-99.  In contrast, the Bedford exit requires two turns to get onto I-99.

To be clear, my detours I was giving weren't official. They were having people go 70 to 68 to US 40 to US 119 and back on at New Stanton (completely bypassing the 70/76 concurrency). In other words, if you had to get to Bedford or Somerset from Breezewood, you were totally screwed.

The road is back open this evening but still, yikes.

JMoses24

The highway has been reopened both directions as of 6:30 EST.

The westbound detour situation was one big YIKES. If you had to go to Somerset or Bedford and were in Breezewood, they expected you to find your own alternate which wasn't great if you went 30 Westbound. Eastbound detouring got better when they did open up the onramp from PA 31 at exit 91. Of course, you still had to drive south on US 119 to even get to 31.

SignBridge

Early hours of the morning, tired drivers, big rigs, wet road, downhill curve, and possibly speed too fast for conditions. All adds up to a perfect storm.

RobbieL2415

That's stupid.  They have maintenance roads in the vicinity of the crash site. They could have diverted eastbound traffic on to those and onto PA 31.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: SignBridge on January 05, 2020, 09:50:54 PM
Early hours of the morning, tired drivers, big rigs, wet road, downhill curve, and possibly speed too fast for conditions. All adds up to a perfect storm.

Apparently there was a Chinatown bus (Z&D Tours, running from the New York City metropolitan area (various sources have given varied origins, including Rockaway, New Jersey;  or the Chinatown area of New York City) to possibly Cincinnati, Ohio) that lost control and rolled on the westbound side of the Turnpike.  Then there were at least three commercial vehicles that crashed behind the bus.

The National Transportation Safety Board sent a team of investigators to the scene.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

MASTERNC

Quote from: JMoses24 on January 05, 2020, 09:37:41 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on January 05, 2020, 03:50:15 PM

To be clear, my detours I was giving weren't official. They were having people go 70 to 68 to US 40 to US 119 and back on at New Stanton (completely bypassing the 70/76 concurrency). In other words, if you had to get to Bedford or Somerset from Breezewood, you were totally screwed.

The road is back open this evening but still, yikes.

The official detour was first I-70/I-68/US 40/US 119 going westbound, but was later changed to US 30/I-99/US 22.  I noticed the change on the website during the day.  The initial eastbound detour was via US 119 and US 40 to Maryland.

akotchi

I would be curious to know how far out from the closure point that the closure notice was transmitted on VM signs.  I could see, for instance, a long-distance westbound traveler exiting the Turnpike at Carlisle (I-81) and picking up the detour in Hagerstown, MD.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

hbelkins

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 05, 2020, 10:25:17 PM
That's stupid.  They have maintenance roads in the vicinity of the crash site. They could have diverted eastbound traffic on to those and onto PA 31.

They probably didn't do that because of the lost toll revenue.

GaryV

Quote from: hbelkins on January 06, 2020, 01:58:19 PM

How much toll did they collect by diverting traffic down to I-68 in MD and WV? That was the only logical routing after closing all those miles of the Turnpike in the locations they did.  I'd imagine there was plenty of traffic on US-30 for those who knew how to read a map.

jeffandnicole

They're not worried about the lost toll revenue.  Otherwise, they wouldn't inform motorists whatsoever about the closure and keep them trapped on the Turnpike.

Accidents like this occur on occasion, and deep down in the revenues on the Turnpike, they know these closures will occur. To think otherwise would be akin to a 'Vision Zero' initiative. 

MASTERNC

Quote from: akotchi on January 06, 2020, 01:10:24 PM
I would be curious to know how far out from the closure point that the closure notice was transmitted on VM signs.  I could see, for instance, a long-distance westbound traveler exiting the Turnpike at Carlisle (I-81) and picking up the detour in Hagerstown, MD.

From what I could see on their CHART website, Maryland did not communicate anything about the closure on WB I-70.  Of course, it appears there are no VMSes west of Frederick.

PastTense

"A UPS spokesman identified drivers Daniel Kepner, 53, and Dennis Kehler, 48, of Pennsylvania as two of the people who died. Kepner had been with the company for five years, and Kehler was a 28-year employee.

"Both were driving together in a tractor trailer vehicle out of our Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, operating center,"  spokesman Matthew O'Connor said in a statement to The Post. "Our drivers will be missed and our thoughts and prayers go out to their families."

Three New Yorkers also perished in the multivehicle crash.

Nine-year-old Jaremy Vazquez of Brooklyn and Eileen Zelis Aria, 35, of the Bronx were passengers in a 2005 tour bus driven by Shuang Quing Feng, 58, of Flushing, N.Y., and died in the crash, according to the Westmoreland County Coroner's office.

Feng was traveling in the left lane and struck the center barrier, causing the bus to swerve to the right of the road, according to a statement tweeted by Cpl. Holly Reber-Billings. The tour bus went up a steep embankment and rolled over before stopping on its left side.

The bus slid back on the road where it hit the center median again and stopped in two travel lanes, ejecting Feng from the vehicle, according to the statement.

The bottom of the bus was struck by a FedEx truck, throwing Aria and Vazquez from the tour bus.

Kepner and Kehler's UPS truck hit the tour bus, and a Mercedes passenger vehicle hit the side of the UPS drivers' truck.

The Mercedes was then struck by another UPS tractor-trailer, which led to it being pinned between UPS trucks, according to authorities. The driver of the Mercedes and the second UPS truck weren't injured."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/01/05/pennsylvania-turnpike-crash/

RobbieL2415

Bullshit.  I think the PTC would be fine to eat the cost for a few hours.

hbelkins

Quote from: GaryV on January 06, 2020, 03:17:35 PM

How much toll did they collect by diverting traffic down to I-68 in MD and WV? That was the only logical routing after closing all those miles of the Turnpike in the locations they did.  I'd imagine there was plenty of traffic on US-30 for those who knew how to read a map.

They're going to get reads off E-ZPasses, or collect fares from tickets, when drivers exit the turnpike at the point of closure. I don't know if they tried to turn drivers around and get them headed back in the wrong direction if they were stuck behind the wreck or not.

(And gain some additional toll revenue if drivers used the Mon/Fayette (PA Turnpike 43) to get from I-68 to New Stanton.

Roadsguy

I wonder how expensive it would be, after total cashless tolling conversion, to put emergency E-ZPass readers at the maintenance access points so that they can activate them in the event of a closure.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.