News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Abandoned I-95 in Newburyport in Mass

Started by Mergingtraffic, February 28, 2011, 09:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Looking at the pics of the abandoned I-95 in Newburyport, when was this abandoned? 

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ma/i-95/2.html
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

ATLRedSoxFan

It really wasn't abandoned, it just was never completed. When they killed I-95 through Boston, they just routed it on MA128. The Tobin Bridge US1 was supposed to be part of I-95 as well. There's also a stretch out by Danvers and Peabody that even had sign bridges installed.

NE2

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on February 28, 2011, 01:15:32 PM
It really wasn't abandoned, it just was never completed. When they killed I-95 through Boston, they just routed it on MA128. The Tobin Bridge US1 was supposed to be part of I-95 as well. There's also a stretch out by Danvers and Peabody that even had sign bridges installed.
Um... the link is a different section, in Newburyport.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

shadyjay

This link has some photos and info on the abandonment:

http://massroads.com/?page=i95_mass_north

The site says 1976.  It was originally built as a US 1 relocation and then widened later, with portions abandoned. 

mightyace

^^^

Never knew about this before.  But then, I've never been to that part of Mass.

Like that section of former I-44 near Tulsa, it's interesting to see abandoned Interstate in a relatively built up area.  (And, no, Breezewood does not count as a built up area!)
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

Quote from: mightyace on March 07, 2011, 02:19:09 AM
^^^

Like that section of former I-44 near Tulsa, it's interesting to see abandoned Interstate in a relatively built up area.  (And, no, Breezewood does not count as a built up area!)
How about the NJ Turnpike? Former SB lanes still show here

Hot Rod Hootenanny

US 33 approaching Indian Lake (NW of Bellefountaine, Ohio)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

mightyace

Quote from: AlpsROADS on March 07, 2011, 07:35:00 PM

I've only been on a few miles of the NJ Turnpike near NYC, so I didn't know.

But, that's part of the fun of this board.  Finding out about such things.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Sykotyk

^^^

Never knew about this before.  But then, I've never been to that part of Mass.

Like that section of former I-44 near Tulsa, it's interesting to see abandoned Interstate in a relatively built up area.  (And, no, Breezewood does not count as a built up area!)

Can you point out exactly where on the map the SB lanes are? I've tried spotting them, but can't.
Edit Nevermind, I spotted them, are you referencing the lanes between the two ramps to/from the service plaza?

agentsteel53

Quote from: Sykotyk on March 10, 2011, 12:42:24 PM
Nevermind, I spotted them, are you referencing the lanes between the two ramps to/from the service plaza?

that's gotta be it.  all other lanes contain traffic; those lanes contain a single yellow maintenance vehicle.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Quote from: mightyace on March 10, 2011, 01:59:12 AM
But, that's part of the fun of this board.  Finding out about such things.

Agreed. :)

JohnnyO

Quote from: Sykotyk on March 10, 2011, 12:42:24 PM
^^^

Can you point out exactly where on the map the SB lanes are? I've tried spotting them, but can't.
Edit Nevermind, I spotted them, are you referencing the lanes between the two ramps to/from the service plaza?

They are between the current N/B car lanes and truck lanes. Easier to see if you zoom in a couple of clicks, and look for the white painted triangular shape in the former S/B lanes. The painted former lanes are easy to spot south of the triangle.

D-Dey65

^^^

I knew that was an abandoned section of the turnpike by one of the rest areas.

While we're on that subject, is there any reason the New Jersey Turnpike Authority has never considered separating the on and off-ramps for the car & truck lanes?

Dougtone

Digging up this old topic, to showcase a recent blog post I wrote up regarding the abandoned section of I-95 in Newburyport, Massachusetts. Some of you may remember (or even attended) the road meet in Newburyport back in October 2019 where the abandoned I-95 was a highlight of the meet tour. I visited the stretch of abandoned I-95 a few times before then, including April 2018, when I started hatching the idea of having a road meet in Newburyport. These are my photos from the April 2018 visit, as the abandoned stretch of I-95 is now part of a well preserved recreational trail. I've also included a write-up that includes a history of this stretch of roadway. Enjoy!

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/12/abandoned-interstate-95-newburyport.html

DJStephens

Quote from: shadyjay on February 28, 2011, 06:27:28 PM

The site says 1976.  It was originally built as a US 1 relocation and then widened later, with portions abandoned.

Link gives one a "server 500" error.   The abandonment was part of a mid to late seventies upgrade of Interstate 95 between 128 and I-495.  The older four lane segments, some of which were possibly incorporated upgraded US 1 pieces, were replaced by twin four lane alignments, one for SB and one for NB.  The older six lane Merrimack River Bridge interrupted these improvements.  Believe it too has been replaced with a modern eight lane span by this point. 

74/171FAN

Quote from: DJStephens on January 03, 2020, 09:18:48 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on February 28, 2011, 06:27:28 PM

Link gives one a "server 500" error.   The abandonment was part of a mid to late seventies upgrade of Interstate 95 between 128 and I-495.  The older four lane segments, some of which were possibly incorporated upgraded US 1 pieces, were replaced by twin four lane alignments, one for SB and one for NB.  The older six lane Merrimack River Bridge interrupted these improvements.  Believe it too has been replaced with a modern eight lane span by this point. 

Yes, many of us walked along the trail along I-95 that also crosses the Merrimack River with it.  You are correct in that the bridge there is 8 lanes.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

KEVIN_224

YUP! As I went over it on March 6, 2019:

DJStephens

Nice that it has parallel four lane bridges.  Instead of  featuring a skewed alignment to mash everything together in a single span in order to cut costs.   That is what is done down in this part of the country and it is really annoying.   

TheGrassGuy

Aren't they trying to turn that into a bike trail or something?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

PHLBOS

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on January 22, 2020, 09:57:43 AMAren't they trying to turn that into a bike trail or something?
Look to the right of KEVIN_224's above-posted-photo.  There is indeed a separate parallel bike/multi-use trail that was built as part of the Whittier Bridge Replacement project. 
Info. on the Garrison Trail

A few of us walked (AARoads member 1 & I walked the whole length (1.9 miles one-way) and back) on it during last October's road meet.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SectorZ

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 22, 2020, 10:35:14 AM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on January 22, 2020, 09:57:43 AMAren't they trying to turn that into a bike trail or something?
Look to the right of KEVIN_224's above-posted-photo.  There is indeed a separate parallel bike/multi-use trail that was built as part of the Whittier Bridge Replacement project. 
Info. on the Garrison Trail

A few of us walked (AARoads member 1 & I walked the whole length (1.9 miles one-way) and back) on it during last October's road meet.

I've routinely used it cycling since it opened. Quite a nice alternative to cross the Merrimack, especially since the US 1 crossing is a total pain for cycling.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.