News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Congo

Started by cpzilliacus, April 23, 2018, 11:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Interesting way to try to impose some order on unruly drivers in Kinshasa, Congo.

I have a .PDF copy if you cannot read this due to the WSJ paywall (leave your e-mail address if you want a copy). There's a video embedded in this story showing one of the robots in operation (not sure I can get around the paywall to share that).

Are the robots compliant with the MUTCD?

WSJ.com: Terrible Traffic? Call In the 7-Foot-Tall RoboCops - Hit-and-runs are putting Kinshasa's robot traffic cops in rehab; plus, the solar-powered machines don't always work on cloudy days
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Well, being that the MUTCD is an American document, Congo robots don't need to be compliant with it!

Now, would Robots in America be complaint?  Well...depends.  If the robot is in the middle with basic functions of a traffic light: Red/Yellow/Green in the proper order, then why not?  The other functions aren't prohibited.  That said, its use would be extremely limited, and it wouldn't be advisable to have someone stop in the middle of an intersection to ask for directions.

We already use and obey traffic lights; not unlike other countries where anything goes.  Besides, for things like accidents and such, America already has a fairly significant surveillance system.  It's made up of government-installed traffic cameras, government installed dash cams, privately-owned personal security cameras, privately-owned personal dash cams, body cams and personal hand-held cameras (namely, cell phones).  Hit and runs, while notable when they make the news, are a very small portion of accidents.

Alps

I shall request said pdf.

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 23, 2018, 12:17:09 PM
Well, being that the MUTCD is an American document, Congo robots don't need to be compliant with it!

I  intended that comment to be a little tongue-in-cheek. 

Now, would Robots in America be complaint?  Well...depends.  If the robot is in the middle with basic functions of a traffic light: Red/Yellow/Green in the proper order, then why not?  The other functions aren't prohibited.  That said, its use would be extremely limited, and it wouldn't be advisable to have someone stop in the middle of an intersection to ask for directions.

It would take a while for changes to the MUTCD to be adapted (complete with specifications) to allow such a device to be deployed on a public road or highway in the U.S.  There's also the issue of how drivers would react to such a device if they  had never seen one before.

We already use and obey traffic lights; not unlike other countries where anything goes.  Besides, for things like accidents and such, America already has a fairly significant surveillance system.  It's made up of government-installed traffic cameras, government installed dash cams, privately-owned personal security cameras, privately-owned personal dash cams, body cams and personal hand-held cameras (namely, cell phones).  Hit and runs, while notable when they make the news, are a very small portion of accidents.

It also depends on where one happens to be.  In  some parts of the nation where I have driven, people behind the wheel tend to obey signals, signs and other traffic control devices.  In other areas, not so much.

index

I request the PDF. My email should be on my profile.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.