News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Threads you'll never see on aaroads.com

Started by hm insulators, October 21, 2013, 04:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

paulthemapguy

"I Am Perfectly Content With Daylight Savings Time the Way It Is Now"
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 08, 2019, 03:10:46 PM

Just to be an ass...yes I am.

(Or is that a.m.?)

Takumi

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 08, 2019, 03:10:46 PM
* Takumi raises his hand
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

POLL:  Do you like girls that wear Abercrombie & Fitch?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Tonytone

Promoting Cities since 1998!

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

briantroutman

Or alternatively, "Threads you'll see on aaroads.com very soon" :

When you're on a completely unrelated site and you catch a thread title out of the corner of your eye–and you know precisely which AARoads poster started it, without even having to look...

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2019, 04:29:17 PM
POLL:  Do you like girls that wear Abercrombie & Fitch?
There would likely be a high correlation of people who do with people whom Chinese food makes sick.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

From this day forward, any new DST thread!  :bigass:

Quote from: briantroutman on March 09, 2019, 02:04:44 PM
Or alternatively, "Threads you'll see on aaroads.com very soon" :

When you're on a completely unrelated site and you catch a thread title out of the corner of your eye–and you know precisely which AARoads poster started it, without even having to look...

Not sure where  you saw that, but in my world, Izod was always considered preppy. (I think we've had this discussion elsewhere). To this day, I still won't wear Izod because of all the preppies who wore that detestable alligator when I was in college.

Big John

I thought Lacoste made the alligator shirts.

1995hoo

Since DST threads are clearly not welcome, maybe we need a thread about "Standard Time ends tonight."

:bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 09, 2019, 05:24:50 PM
Since DST threads are clearly not welcome, maybe we need a thread about "Standard Time ends tonight."

It is strange that DST is longer than standard time.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Takumi

Quote from: Big John on March 09, 2019, 05:15:31 PM
They were the same company for awhile. Wikipedia says they split in the 90s, and Izod is now a part of Van Heusen.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 09, 2019, 05:54:50 PM

Yeah we might as well have permanent DST since we're practically in it for most of the year.
Forget the I-41 haters

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

Hopefully this won't antagonize the moderators, but if it does, I'll PM this message and delete the post. The term "standard time" simply refers to what international agreements define as the time, relative to UTC, for the meridian at the center of that time zone.

Of course all time is arbitrary. (The squirrels outside right now have no idea we set the clocks ahead last night.) There don't need to be 24 hours in a day, for example. The French Republican Calendar defined a day as being ten hours, each divided into 100 minutes, each of those then divided into 100 seconds. (So when people joke about "metric time," they often don't know there really was an attempt at that sort of thing.) I have an app on my phone that I downloaded just for fun that would tell me the current time using that calendar, but my phone is in the other room and I don't feel like going to get it.

Big John

hbelkins

Quote from: Takumi on March 09, 2019, 06:13:43 PM
Quote from: Big John on March 09, 2019, 05:15:31 PM
They were the same company for awhile. Wikipedia says they split in the 90s, and Izod is now a part of Van Heusen.

Yes, it was Izod Lacoste back then.

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 10, 2019, 10:03:28 AM

Hopefully this won't antagonize the moderators...

Maybe at this point they should realize that the membership here wants to discuss DST.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2019, 01:36:53 PM

Maybe at this point they should realize that the membership here wants to discuss DST.

What more is there to discuss? Wasn't much of a discussion anyway. Just 85 pages of bitching with few if any facts being presented.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

DaBigE

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 10, 2019, 01:42:09 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2019, 01:36:53 PM

What more is there to discuss? Wasn't much of a discussion anyway. Just 85 pages of bitching with few if any facts being presented.

Wouldn't be the first thread like that...https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=15546.0
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jeffandnicole

Maybe there should be a 7 day suspension for anyone utilizing another thread to continue hashing their DST opinions.

noelbotevera

No idea why DST is a controversial topic...it's just sixty minutes added on or removed at a time when nobody is asleep.  :meh:

On a more lighthearted note: Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? (no really, she's been missing for like 15 years now, where is she)

1995hoo

Hopefully this won't antagonize the moderators, but if it does, I'll PM this message and delete the post. The term "standard time" simply refers to what international agreements define as the time, relative to UTC, for the meridian at the center of that time zone.

Of course all time is arbitrary. (The squirrels outside right now have no idea we set the clocks ahead last night.) There don't need to be 24 hours in a day, for example. The French Republican Calendar defined a day as being ten hours, each divided into 100 minutes, each of those then divided into 100 seconds. (So when people joke about "metric time," they often don't know there really was an attempt at that sort of thing.) I have an app on my phone that I downloaded just for fun that would tell me the current time using that calendar, but my phone is in the other room and I don't feel like going to get it.

As I type this at 7:08 PM EDT, the time using the French Republican Calendar is 7:97. No AM or PM because there are only ten hours in a day. Weird stuff.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.