Are topics about the forum itself banned?

Started by webny99, December 21, 2017, 06:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 1 on December 24, 2017, 07:53:54 AM
Quote from: US71 on December 24, 2017, 12:46:35 AM
Banned topics (in no particular order):

Resurrecting dormant discussions/ locked discussions

I didn't think resurrecting a years-old thread was outright banned. In fact, it was even encouraged if the alternative was starting a new thread with the exact same topic.

It's not a problem if adding useful info to it, especially when some road projects go dormant for awhile.  However, reviving a 9 year old topic just to be able to say you did it in a different thread, is something totally different, and a big no-no.

Marf

Wait, is this about his thread about rezzing threads?
Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

jeffandnicole

Whenever I've reopened old threads, I usually preface it letting others know I'm doing so.

Personally, the unnecessary deleting of one's upthread posts should be cause for suspension. Adds nothing; confuses many.

adventurernumber1

Wait, some of you think that the only thing the staff do here is moderate?  :crazy:

Scott5114 started the "road sign city name photo game" thread (one of the most successful game threads to date), US71 posts contributions to the "Daily Picture Challenge!" thread all the time, US71 is always contributing new and interesting road-related news in the Mid-South board, there have been numerous state threads started by admins/moderators in the Southeast board (albeit they were started towards the beginning of this forum), and the staff on this forum just in general post all the time just in normal road-related conversation and discussion like the rest of us, and they do so very often.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Takumi

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on December 24, 2017, 02:34:09 PM
Wait, some of you think that the only thing the staff do here is moderate?  :crazy:

Scott5114 started the best parts of the "Alanland” thread (one of the most successful threads to date)
Fixed.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

No one cares if someone led us to 500 posts in one day. It's irrelevant. It has no bearing on anything whatsoever.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Youngsters these days just have no respect for their elders ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

Quote from: Takumi on December 24, 2017, 03:09:30 PM

Scott5114 started the best parts of the "Alanland"  thread (one of the most successful threads to date)
Fixed.

I think I post ridiculous shit more often than I moderate.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2017, 06:33:43 PM

Quote from: 1 on December 23, 2017, 05:46:54 PM
Not everything they do is a moderator action.

It seems to me it is, unless trolls are controlling their accounts

Yeah, that might have been the second-most uninformed post I've ever read on this site, with the sole exception being the Alanland OP.  As tough of an environment as this forum can get to be sometimes, I have the utmost respect for the moderators and administrators of the site, and I have never once gotten the impression they were just a bunch of jail masters.  In fact, they do so much apart from mod/admin activity that I frequently forget who's a mod and who's not.  I've only been to one meet, but I honestly couldn't even tell you if there was a mod with me or not; that's partly because I'm bad at names, but it's also because I honestly didn't care.  The mods and admins on this site are "just one of the guys" who happen to have made a commitment to make this thing run well.

A user only having been on the site for a few months can get a skewed view of things, perhaps.  Maybe the mods weren't as active as they had been recently, maybe they were only contributing in other threads, maybe there was a whole bunch of crap going on that needed moderator action.  Whatever.  I can't imagine being a new-ish member of any forum and presuming to cast judgment upon the moderators; that strikes me as an immature action, done by one who has a bit to learn about humility and respect, done by one who thinks everything is about him.

Now.  Having said all of that, I should also point out that the quoted comment could have been made with tongue in cheek.  I did, after all, snip out the 'bigass' smiley.  Plus, an action done by a moderator is by definition a moderator action.  I could be making a mountain out of a molehill.  But, be that as it may, I stand by my words and I won't delete this post.

* kphoger offers all the moderators and administrators a virtual beer in appreciation of their work.  Merry Christmas and thank you, guys!   :cheers:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Marf

Could we please get back to the topic of webny's weirdness?
Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Marf on December 26, 2017, 11:21:04 AM

Why? That's giving him the attention he craves.

Marf

US71

Marf

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Marf on December 26, 2017, 11:21:04 AM

No.  And that's galling to bring up as well.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 26, 2017, 10:46:59 AM
Now.  Having said all of that, I should also point out that the quoted comment could have been made with tongue in cheek.  I did, after all, snip out the 'bigass' smiley.  Plus, an action done by a moderator is by definition a moderator action.  I could be making a mountain out of a molehill.  But, be that as it may, I stand by my words and I won't delete this post.

I had committed not to post again in this thread. But, out of fairness and respect and justice, I will confirm your last paragraph, in particular the bolded statement. I thought that would have been obvious, but I would never use that smiley unless I intended my post as humor. Nor would I disrespect the moderators without a really good reason.

Happy holidays all and thanks for keeping me entertained. So far I have a 5-0 record for getting the reaction I wanted out of threads like this  :bigass:

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on December 26, 2017, 12:41:19 PM

I had committed not to post again in this thread. But, out of fairness and respect and justice, I will confirm your last paragraph, in particular the bolded statement. I thought that would have been obvious, but I would never use that smiley unless I intended my post as humor. Nor would I disrespect the moderators without a really good reason.

Happy holidays all and thanks for keeping me entertained. So far I have a 5-0 record for getting the reaction I wanted out of threads like this  :bigass:

So you're confirming you're a troll? GTFO.

webny99

I don't intend to get banned. I'm not that foolish. If I was that foolish, I would have kept both of my accounts. Plus, why would I invite the mods to ban me? I am a true roadgeek and I think I've provided more than sufficient evidence of that.

(And, re: comments upthread - the reason I had two accounts was not to troll, but rather, so that I could use a different username. I know now that it is possible to PM a moderator to change it, but did not know that at the time.)

webny99

Not at all. Rather, you are confirming that you haven't read the OP. I explicitly stated that I expected a good reaction, and that I got.

kphoger

I'm glad you're keeping your humor about you.  Things tend to get misread on here (as on all forums), so rolling with the punches is important.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

Quote from: webny99 on December 26, 2017, 12:47:00 PM

Not at all. Rather, you are confirming that you haven't read the OP. I explicitly stated that I expected a good reaction, and that I got.

According to Wikipedia, a troll is:

Quote from: Wikipedia
a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the troll's amusement.

Although you aren't really "sowing discord" , you're pushing the members of this forum around to see if you can get a reaction out of them, for your own amusement.

Marf

US71

Marf

:bigass: (I meant webny, if you were not sarcastic)

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on December 26, 2017, 02:11:44 PM
Quote from: Marf on December 26, 2017, 02:07:00 PM
Okay, can we get a ban now?  :banghead:

You want to be banned?   :hmmm: :hmmm:

Quote from: Marf on December 26, 2017, 02:16:01 PM
:bigass: (I meant webny, if you were not sarcastic)

Always be specific.

And, since we're apparently doing the smiley thing lately...     :fight:
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.