News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-43 Fox River bridge in Green Bay, WI - repairs and restoration

Started by mgk920, September 25, 2013, 11:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox 11 News

Frigo isn't a primary game day route, especially for the gold/Milwaukee ticket games, but few problems reported Sunday due to the bridge

http://www.fox11online.com/news/local/fox-cities/drivers-heed-game-day-traffic-warnings

mgk920

Work on stabilizing the failed section of the bridge will begin on Monday, 2013-10-14, with Lunda Construction getting the contract.  Although not mentioned in this article, the contract is for a little bit either side of $1.5M.

http://on.wtmj.com/1bMlgls

Also, check out the slideshow on this link, lots of interesting images.

Mike

DaBigE

Quote from: mgk920 on October 11, 2013, 10:04:12 PM
Work on stabilizing the failed section of the bridge will begin on Monday, 2013-10-14, with Lunda Construction getting the contract.  Although not mentioned in this article, the contract is for a little bit either side of $1.5M.

http://on.wtmj.com/1bMlgls

Also, check out the slideshow on this link, lots of interesting images.

Mike

WisDOT has a brief update on their news page, with a larger version of the rough schematics shown in the WTMJ slideshow: Work started to stabilize Leo Frigo (I-43) Bridge
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Fox 11 News

mgk920

'Seven piers will likely be replaced' - this is more extensive than I was imagining.  Even fast-tracked, it will be a while before this crossing is back up.

Mike

JREwing78

Big John

Quote from: JREwing78 on October 17, 2013, 09:27:22 PM
I'm actually a bit surprised it's only seven piers.
I appears it is only in the area of the corrosive soil infill.

Fox 11 News

Sorry for the short notice.

DOT news conference at 10am, Tuesday Oct. 22. It will be streamed live at www.fox11online.com

Big John

WisDOT is letting a bid for bridge repair next Tuesday, with a deadline for repairs to be completed by mid January.

Plans call for new shafts around 5 damaged piers and jacking up and stablizing the sunken pier.

triplemultiplex

That's very encouraging that WisDOT thinks they can bang out the repairs in just 3 months.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/opencms/export/nr/modules/news/news_4295.html_786229440.html

Good to know.  I should be in GB over the holidays to catch a Packer game and I'll have to check out the repairs while I'm in town.  Seems like an interesting engineering challenge.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mgk920

I agree, it will be interesting, indeed, to see WisDOT pull this off.  It sounds like they will be attempting to replace or augment all of the failed foundations and then jack everything back into place.

Mike

Henry

I think it's great that they want to get the repairs done ASAP! Not too many state DOT's are that ambitious nowadays...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mgk920

I'm still somewhat surprised that the sagged section of the bridge was deemed to be in good enough condition to be used again with just being jacked back into place.

:nod:

Mike

Fox 11 News

Confirmed that Zenith Tech will do the work.

Latest DOT release:

Governor Walker approves Leo Frigo Bridge improvements
Work on Green Bay bridge set to begin Friday, November 1

Governor Scott Walker has approved $7.7 million to repair the Leo Frigo Bridge. A bridge pier sank two feet on September 25, causing the deck to sag closing the bridge. The bridge is expected to reopen in January 2014.

The contractor is Zenith Tech, Waukesha, WI.

Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) engineers earlier announced that Pier 22 sank as the result of corrosion to the pier's pilings due to the unique soil conditions surrounding them. These same conditions are found from Pier 21 to 25 and all of these piers will be repaired.

Plans call for new drilled shafts to be installed at the bases of the five piers, protected from the corrosive conditions that exist and connected to the pier footings. The deck at Pier 22 will then be jacked back into place and supports installed.

mgk920

^^
Does this mean that 'Pier 22' (the sunken one) will be repaired 'in place', with its structure to then be extended upward to meet the deck as restored into its proper place?

Interesting.

:nod:

Mike

Fox 11 News

Yes. As we understand it, the existing five piers in corrosive soil will remain in place. New supports will be built around it, with these extending into the bedrock - which the current ones don't. The top section will be protected by PVC pipe.

As for 22, it will remain in place. At the top of the pier - imagine the bridge was made of Legos, for a moment - some extra Lego pieces will be installed between the top of the pier to 'jack up' the bridge deck to put it in proper alignment.

GeekJedi

I have to say, it's pretty impressive how quickly they're getting those repairs done!
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Fox 11 News

Fox 11 News

triplemultiplex

Guess I'm not going to see it in person.  Had to cancel my planned attendance of that Packer game today due to work stuff.  By the time I make it Green Bay again, the repairs should be done.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.