News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The PA Turnpike's temporary connection into Petersburg, OH

Started by ixnay, February 03, 2022, 06:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

For three years after the western extension of the PA Turnpike opened, a temporary road fed PA Tpk. traffic into little Petersburg, OH.  That ended when Ohio opened its own turnpike.

Are there any Sideling Hill/Rays Hill/US 66 like remnants of the road connecting Petersburg with the PA Pike?  Are they spottable on Google Sat/GSV?  Or Historic Aerials?
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

ysuindy

ysuindy

To further answer your question. Burkey Road was the connection from the turnpike up to Petersburg.

For years you were able to enter the Turnpike going east by driving down Burkey Road and taking the drive that the toll booth workers used and just drive on to the pike and get your ticket at the toll booth

Before they put the jersey wall between the lanes I often would pay my toll going westbound to leave PA then cut across the eastbound lanes and get to the parking area and then out to Burkey Road. Quicker trip home for me that way.

Burkey Road is still there.

ixnay

Quote from: ysuindy on February 03, 2022, 11:50:14 PM
To further answer your question. Burkey Road was the connection from the turnpike up to Petersburg.

For years you were able to enter the Turnpike going east by driving down Burkey Road and taking the drive that the toll booth workers used and just drive on to the pike and get your ticket at the toll booth

Before they put the jersey wall between the lanes I often would pay my toll going westbound to leave PA then cut across the eastbound lanes and get to the parking area and then out to Burkey Road. Quicker trip home for me that way.

Burkey Road is still there.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Burkey+Rd,+Pennsylvania+16120/@40.9003176,-80.5139389,1811m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8833f59e7ab8bbd3:0x654a6d1ae1d40d5e!8m2!3d40.9016446!4d-80.5070018

Thank you.  Nice to see Petersburg isolated again. :)
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.