News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: Rothman on April 09, 2022, 10:09:24 PM
Quote from: US71 on April 09, 2022, 10:07:27 PM
Has anyone mentioned South Dakota's  X Marks the Spot?.

I prefer the WHY DIE? ones.

Not familiar with them. Got any pix?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Rothman

Quote from: US71 on April 09, 2022, 10:10:43 PM

'Fraid not, but they were commonplace for this past week when I was driving in southern SD.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

Quote from: elsmere241 on April 08, 2022, 11:26:20 PM
Quote from: Bruce on March 31, 2022, 12:16:08 AM
"In the distance" is a non-specific distance.

Been past there many times, both with my wife and my late father-in-law.  If he were still alive, I'd suggest we stop there and check it out, since I never have.

Worth seeing.  At least you can walk freely among the stones, which you no longer can at the real Stonehenge.

There's some great Rodin in the museum also.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rarnold

Quote from: US71 on April 09, 2022, 10:10:43 PM

They are the same sign. Think on one side, why die? on the other.

rhen_var

Quote from: machias on January 21, 2022, 07:45:24 PM
Quote from: SidS1045 on January 21, 2022, 11:40:03 AM
Quote from: Kniwt on January 16, 2022, 01:32:18 PM
On 800 North in Hurricane UT, this seems to be telling drivers to close their eyes before cresting the hill.

There used to be a sign in Yonkers NY on the Saw Mill River Parkway southbound that said "Limited Sight Distance - 40 MPH" (normal speed limit was 55).

NYSDOT was big on "Limited Sight Distance"  with an advisory speed in the 80s and early 90s. They appeared all over the place upstate and then it suddenly stopped.
There are still at least two "Limited Sight Distance" signs with an advisory speed in my hometown in MI.  They're on local roads though.

D-Dey65

As I promised, the school shaped church signs of Lake Butler, Union County, Florida.

I still keep thinking somebody else here has posted images of these signs before.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

D-Dey65

Quote from: kphoger on April 13, 2022, 05:00:39 PM
Hey, you know, churches have steeples, right? ...
Yes, but I also know the warning signs for them aren't normally shaped like school signs. Are you suggesting that they should be?

J N Winkler

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 13, 2022, 08:37:09 PMYes, but I also know the warning signs for them aren't normally shaped like school signs. Are you suggesting that they should be?

It is contestable (and we have had the debate in the past) whether they should receive warning signs at all, and if so, whether the signs should reference them as houses of worship.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Kniwt

The road through Snow Canyon State Park near Ivins UT (former UT 300) has these signs at each end:
(Watch out for giant mutant car-eating turtles.)

kphoger

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 13, 2022, 08:37:09 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 13, 2022, 05:00:39 PM
Hey, you know, churches have steeples, right? ...

Yes, but I also know the warning signs for them aren't normally shaped like school signs. Are you suggesting that they should be?

No.  I was joking.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/TiQaaX66eTZnE3xR8
The street sign is interesting now a month later after the Goog car grabbed this image the 43rd Street overhead is now missing.

Plus one GSV image from the past blurs out the street sign as well.

Seems like 43rd Street is being kept hidden 😂
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadfro

Quote from: roadman65 on April 16, 2022, 11:07:20 AM
The street sign is interesting now a month later after the Goog car grabbed this image the 43rd Street overhead is now missing.

Unrelated to the street name sign but still odd or interesting (or ugly): Why are there wires hanging all around the mast arm like that? Seems like a really sloppy installation for signal heads on a mast arm... Most of the time, you don't see wires for signal heads at all on a mast arm install.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

JoePCool14

Quote from: roadfro on April 16, 2022, 03:12:51 PM

Unrelated to the street name sign but still odd or interesting (or ugly): Why are there wires hanging all around the mast arm like that? Seems like a really sloppy installation for signal heads on a mast arm... Most of the time, you don't see wires for signal heads at all on a mast arm install.

Welcome to Texas. I think their signal installs tend to be sloppy and inconsistent.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

plain

A sign to deter the homeless from sleeping under the overpass. This is on US 60 at US 17/258 in Newport News near the James River Bridge.

Image from today

EDIT: Sorry about the quality, Tapatalk made me downsize it

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

Newark born, Richmond bred

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 16, 2022, 03:32:49 PM
Quote from: roadfro on April 16, 2022, 03:12:51 PM

Welcome to Texas. I think their signal installs tend to be sloppy and inconsistent.

In this case, it may well be to make it easier to remove the signal heads in the event of a hurricane, although that practice is usually associated with span-wire installs.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Mr. Matté

The Narrow Bridge sign was previously sent to back, as recently as August last year. Don't know why the signs were randomly switched like that, it appears to be the same sign post so I'm at a loss. It shouldn't have anything to do with the recent bridge closure. It is neat to see what the color of the sign was when it was first placed.

roadman65

Another upside down install signal ahead sign in Willows, CA.

Sheryl Crowe

LilianaUwU

Someone must've been fed up with people blocking their entrance, so they painted a no parking symbol on their house:

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: kphoger on April 25, 2022, 09:13:56 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 22, 2022, 08:41:28 PM
Someone must've been fed up with people blocking their entrance, so they painted a no parking symbol on their house:

(clipped)

This sort of thing is all over in Mexico.

Here are a few from just two streets, in Parras:
https://goo.gl/maps/fsxYdk3GnPkE49xf6
https://goo.gl/maps/uUXkr7xcsPNBAcCm9
https://goo.gl/maps/PYJfLNzPppUz5DV99
https://goo.gl/maps/mmRAEmKTh1rh7ohu6
https://goo.gl/maps/AvVrhdL9MMmKJVoP6
https://goo.gl/maps/PfsTyhi33FRRXT6C8

At least those paint jobs seem decent, while my example follows the law of least effort.

Coincidentally, no later than 30 minutes after taking the picture, I stumbled upon a work crew putting an actual no parking sign there.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

M3100

What if, instead of a standard "+" intersection, you have an additional diagonal street joining in?  You take a standard "+" intersection sign, and add some black tape to indicate the 5th road.    This is on California SR 33 in Ventura County, just north of Ojai (Oh-hi), near Meiners Oaks.

roadman65

Here is some interesting variations in the Lone Star State.

Typical stand alone shield for primary highways.

Special Route primary shields.

Another form of special primary Route shield.

The FM Highway stand alone.

Then the FM shield on a freeway guide.

The State of Texas is far from boring on its Route shields to say the least.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

I mean, I guess they're interesting.  But they're also the standard signs (except for the unique toll road ones).  As someone who drives a lot of miles in Texas, I actually find those photos rather un-interesting.

No offense.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.