US 340 Rock Slide Repair Project (WVDOH)

Started by BrianP, August 29, 2023, 03:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianP

https://us340harpersferry.com/
QuoteDue to the type of construction, this project includes a planned detour, starting on September 12, 2023.
The detour is expected to last 90 days.  And since it's around the border area it also affects VA and MD.

Alps

Sadly that really is the best detour available.

74/171FAN

I am honestly tempted to clinch SR 671 while this is in effect.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

BrianP

Quote from: Alps on August 29, 2023, 07:59:18 PM
Someone on reddit said they'd rather go up to Shepherdstown instead.  As usual  it depends on your origin and destination. Going from WV to Middletown or Myersville, for example, could make that northern detour worth it.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: BrianP on August 30, 2023, 09:16:04 AM
Someone on reddit said they'd rather go up to Shepherdstown instead.  As usual  it depends on your origin and destination. Going from WV to Middletown or Myersville, for example, could make that northern detour worth it.

Meanwhile for thru traffic using US 340 to make the shortcut from I-70 in Frederick to I-81 in Winchester, I'd think the best detour is to just stay on I-70 and connect to I-81 directly in Hagerstown.

Not a great stretch of road to close, but given the limited space in that stretch combined with (I imagine) safety concerns, it seems like the only realistic option for a project like this.

In a perfect world this stretch could also use some widening to eliminate the bottleneck on either side where it shrinks from a 4-lane divided highway, but that might be close to impossible given the terrain.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

tmoore952

Yes, between the ridge that runs along the WV-VA border (along which the Appalachian Trail runs, by the way), and the necessity of crossing the Shenendoah River, there aren't any other options for closeby travel.
Any closeby options involving staying in Maryland also have to deal with this same ridge in that state as well as crossing the Potomac River. 

Using I-70 to I-81 southbound (or vice versa northbound) would also work if you want to bypass the entire area, but that is quite a bit further. Alternatively, you could also bypass the area by getting to VA 7 between Leesburg/Hillsboro area and Winchester (where I-81 is). I would probably do the latter if I had to bypass this.

74/171FAN

QuoteUsing I-70 to I-81 southbound (or vice versa northbound) would also work if you want to bypass the entire area, but that is quite a bit further. Alternatively, you could also bypass the area by getting to VA 7 between Leesburg/Hillsboro area and Winchester (where I-81 is). I would probably do the latter if I had to bypass this.

Probably best done via US 340 WB to MD 17 SB to VA 287 SB.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Dirt Roads

QuoteUsing I-70 to I-81 southbound (or vice versa northbound) would also work if you want to bypass the entire area, but that is quite a bit further. Alternatively, you could also bypass the area by getting to VA 7 between Leesburg/Hillsboro area and Winchester (where I-81 is). I would probably do the latter if I had to bypass this.

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 30, 2023, 06:25:28 PM
Probably best done via US 340 WB to MD 17 SB to VA 287 SB.

That is correct.  But the more scenic route inspired by 74/171Fan is to stay on US-340 and cross the Potomac into Virginia, then take SR-671 (Harpers Ferry Road, the posted detour) but stay on it until you get to VA-9.  Turn left on VA-9 but don't go all the way into Hillsboro.  Take SR-751 south (Cider Mill Road, which bypasses Hillsboro) and then take SR-719 south (Woodgrove Road) all the way to Business VA-7 in Round Hill; then work your way west onto VA-7.  There's a few turns to remember, but this route stays close to the base of the Blue Ridge Front in an area where the only other way to experience it is to hike it.

TheOneKEA

I will be curious to see if the measured percentage of heavy trucks on I-81 has significantly increased since this project has begun. I traveled along I-81 between Winchester and Hagerstown recently and perceived significantly more heavy trucks than I remember seeing on this segment of I-81, especially north of the VMSes advertising the detour away from US 340.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.